PDA

View Full Version : Google images

Garrett
23-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Found out recently that you can search images on the net with Google images.

website = http://images.google.com.au/

Makes those 'hard' online trivia questions like "name the player in this photo" a bit easier if the same photo is on the net anywhere.

I could be a bit behind, but no doubt this will come as news to some.

cheers
Garrett.

Basil
23-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Not sure what you mean, G. Are you saying that you have just dicovered that Google has an images function? In which case, yes, you're a little behind. Or are you saying that you can ask Google who is in the photo, in which case that sort of recognition technology on Google is prolly a decade or two away!

Rincewind
23-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Not sure what you mean, G. Are you saying that you have just dicovered that Google has an images function? In which case, yes, you're a little behind. Or are you saying that you can ask Google who is in the photo, in which case that sort of recognition technology on Google is prolly a decade or two away!

Somewhere in between. You can upload a picture and ask Google to return results which are visually similar. You can then look at the websites contaniing those similar photos and perhaps work out the name of the unknown player in the photo.

edit: I've just noticed that Google proffers an identity as "Best Guess". For my test file it correctly identified Groucho Marx

Test file...

Garrett
23-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes I meant the upload and search function.

Some of the "visually similar" images it returns can be quite funny.

No doubt it will be interesting to see the technology develop....

pax
24-12-2012, 01:15 AM
You can also "drag and drop" images with a decent web browser. With chrome, you can even drag images from one tab to google images in another. It's suddenly become much harder for news outlets to inappropriately use stick images.

Rhubarb
24-12-2012, 03:39 AM
It's suddenly become much harder for news outlets to inappropriately use stick images.
Yes, a few weeks ago MediaWatch pointed out that it's not good enough for media outlets to just grey out or pixellate someone's personage any more where someone is legally entitled to anonymity, as any idiot can just search the background of such pictures to produce their face if that image has ever been used before.

Basil
24-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Or are you saying that you can ask Google who is in the photo, in which case that sort of recognition technology on Google is prolly a decade or two away!
:uhoh: