PDA

View Full Version : Will NZ get a chess center?

MichaelBaron
13-12-2012, 01:28 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/8049707/Chess-champ-plans-to-buy-church

heligan
13-12-2012, 04:56 AM
The official report is on the official website, www.newzealandchess.co.nz. There is still some bureaucracy to get through for the sale to be finalised.

ER
13-12-2012, 12:50 PM
The official report is on the official website, www.newzealandchess.co.nz. There is still some bureaucracy to get through for the sale to be finalised.

Amen! :) :lol:

heligan
28-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Some progress I think!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8362443/Historic-graves-may-be-dug-up

heligan
17-10-2013, 05:27 PM
NZ National Chess Centre - Game On!
After a much-publicised 10-month sale procedure, New Zealand Grandmaster Murray Chandler has succeeded in purchasing the former Presbyterian Church site in Devonport. Settlement occurred on September 30th, and preparations are now underway for chess classes to begin in early 2014. The landmark site is located directly en route to Devonport village, and comprises three venues. It is anticipated that the Upper Hall (adjacent to the Church) will be devoted exclusively to chess. The Lower Hall and the Church will operate as venues for hire, and will be potentially available as chess tournament venues. Information about non-chess activities can be viewed at www.devonportstpauls.co.nz.

antichrist
23-10-2013, 01:33 PM
What about the $300K needed to bring to up to date earthquake standards?

Craig_Hall
23-10-2013, 03:23 PM
What about the $300K needed to bring to up to date earthquake standards?

I believe Murray will be putting that forward.

antichrist
23-10-2013, 03:35 PM
The Philippines oldest church got wiped out by an earthquake the other day. It would be terrific if the remaining vacant grave sites could be used for deceased chess players. They would all feel at home and maybe earn some money for the chess club.

Redmond Barry
23-10-2013, 10:29 PM
The Philippines oldest church got wiped out by an earthquake the other day. It would be terrific if the remaining vacant grave sites could be used for deceased chess players. They would all feel at home and maybe earn some money for the chess club.

Is the Philippines on the north or south island ?

antichrist
24-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Is the Philippines on the north or south island ?

I was making the point that churches can be dicey places during earthquakes - there is no immunity from the guy up above. The Philippines has the Philippine Neck Lace and New Zealand The Shakey Isles - closely related by that Indo-Australian plate. A 7.2 is usually fatal for them. They were built without any give in them, back in the old days when they were not even allowed to put lightning conductors to save them, until the insurance companies disqualified them. Due to the tall structure of cathedral type churches I would imagine they are esp prone to earthquake damage.

heligan
24-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Devonport is in Auckland, an area not prone to large earthquakes (just regular volcanoes). The church nevertheless has to be reinforced, to withstand strong earthquakes, and this will be done in due course. Meanwhile the hall, alongside the church, is pretty much ready for use. The graveyard is historical, not active, so there won't be any chess burials there! Seems to be full of Scottish immigrants actually, so I feel right at home...

antichrist
24-10-2013, 07:33 AM
I have visited the Rationalist headquarters there in Auckland, pretty nice outfit, on that multi intersection