PDA

View Full Version : Transparency and Privacy

Spiny Norman
19-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi there,

A couple of recent "incidents" (the banning of ChessGuru and today's noidea/bishop_e3 issue) prompt me to ask some questions. Before asking I had a look in the following places:

- FAQ
- Control Panel
- News and Announcements forum
- Help and Feedback forum

1) Can anyone point me towards the T+Cs of Use for this board? If the rules are not formalised, who gets to decide on who gets banned and so on?

2) Who are the moderators? What additional privileges and/or access to extra information do they have? How are moderators selected?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

arosar
19-10-2004, 05:21 PM
What noidea/bishop_e3 issue??

Look Stevo mate, don't overly concern yourself with such serious matters. Only one important rule for you to follow really. Just have fun and don't defame anyone. Easy. Anything beyond that and you just go crazy mate.

AR

Recherché
19-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Since this is technically a private, independant forum (at least I've always had that impression), the owner can basically do whatever they like with regards to banning and so on. Obviously their policies will influence the number of people willing to come and post here, and hence perhaps the "success" of the forum, but essentially they're only answerable to their own personal idea of what sort of forum they want this to be.

As for moderators, they usually have the power to edit posts, to see deleted posts, to open, close, move, split and otherwise modify threads, to see poster IP addresses, and various other things like changing user titles - it all depends on what powers the Adminstrator(s) choose to bestow upon them. There is also commonly a moderator/admin forum which is hidden to regular uses, where they can discuss issues of board design and policy, or whatever they like really. Heh. Obviously I've got no idea if they have one of those here or not.

Note that moderators can be moderators for the entire forum, or only part. So for instance, if someone like Garvin (ggrayggray) had moderator powers, they might only be in the Mt Buller forum, and they might not be able to edit or move a post for you in Non-Chess, for example.

Moderators can't read Private Messages, but some Admins can if they've installed or performed the relevant forum modifications. (ie. they can't by default, but they can get access to them if they care about it enough)

FYI, I have nothing to do with the admin staff, this is all just my opinion/speculation. :)

skip to my lou
19-10-2004, 05:34 PM
1) Can anyone point me towards the T+Cs of Use for this board? If the rules are not formalised, who gets to decide on who gets banned and so on?

The moderators and admins get to decide who gets banned. You agreed to follow the rules while signing up, here it is again anyway:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Chess Chat Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Chess Chat Forum, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Chess Chat Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

2) Who are the moderators? What additional privileges and/or access to extra information do they have? How are moderators selected?

Moderators (and admins) have access to all information in your profile, whether you make it public or not. Moderators have access to your IP address. Furthermore, admins have access to your OS and browser information. Moderators and admins can edit, delete, sticky, close threads/posts.

The super moderators are Barry Cox (http://chesschat.org/member.php?u=574), jenni (http://chesschat.org/member.php?u=637), Kevin Bonham (http://chesschat.org/member.php?u=650) and Kerry Stead (http://chesschat.org/member.php?u=639).

quanta (http://chesschat.org/member.php?u=878) moderates Bridge Australia, Miscellaneous Games and Chess Australia.

New moderators are basically selected by existing moderators, given that admins propose there is a need for more moderators. Lee (quanta) is an exception to this, since he corrects mistakes made by News Bot and moderates forums requested by Australian Chess Enterprises.

We can create unmoderated private forums upon request. For example, you can request a forum which only your club members can see and post in.

ChessGuru was banned for threatening myself and other BB members with legal action, without consulting a moderator or admin first.

noidea and bishop e3 are both posting from the same IP. This is allowed, however you need to notify one of the moderators or admins that more than one member can post from the same computer / IP Address, otherwise it is assumed both the usernames are the same person.

skip to my lou
19-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Moderators can't read Private Messages, but some Admins can if they've installed or performed the relevant forum modifications. (ie. they can't by default, but they can get access to them if they care about it enough)

There is no such modification installed. Moderators cannot read private messages, however anyone that has access to raw SQL data (such as me) can read them. Though, I do respect members privacy and do not read any raw data. However it is still recommended to keep sensitive information to email or phone, or other communication methods. This applies to private forums also.

Spiny Norman
19-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks Jeo, et al,

Appreciate all that detailed information, especially the "transparency" factor that allows me to know "who's who".

Kind regards,

Steve

Spiny Norman
19-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Look Stevo mate, don't overly concern yourself with such serious matters. Only one important rule for you to follow really. Just have fun and don't defame anyone. Easy. Anything beyond that and you just go crazy mate.

Thanks AR,

Actually, my reasons for asking are two-fold ... I am curious to know how this board runs and is configured because:

(1) I'm a participant here; and
(2) I'm a moderator of a public bulletin board run by a publicly-listed company and I'm about to provide them with some advice as to how to set up a new system to replace their current inadequate setup

Cheers,

Frosty

skip to my lou
21-10-2004, 12:09 AM
White Elephant was questioning me as to how I found out who he was, when he only sent a private message to a member on this forum about his identity.

Well the person that he sent the message to had notified me about his identity and hence I banned him due to his association with the "unmentionable" one, this explains the strikethrough everyone has been seeing. He is unbanned for now.

So please remember, just because you sent a private message to someone doesn't mean that person has to keep it a secret.

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 12:33 AM
White Elephant was questioning me as to how I found out who he was, when he only sent a private message to a member on this forum about his identity.

Well the person that he sent the message to had notified me about his identity and hence I banned him due to his association with the "unmentionable" one, this explains the strikethrough everyone has been seeing. He is unbanned for now.

So please remember, just because you sent a private message to someone doesn't mean that person has to keep it a secret.
Basically a case of only tell those you trust certain things otherwise you could well find it being passed on.

skip to my lou
21-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Yes. Don't go blaming me because what you said in PM got out. It's been done before, believe it or not.

Personally I couldn't give a stuff about what anyone talks about in private, or public for that matter. I haven't read maybe 70% of what is said in CC public forums.

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 12:58 AM
It appears so.

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 01:27 AM
I would like to add that at no stage did I attempt to hide my identity, as is being insinuated.

I was merely surprised that by introducing myself to another member(without having expressed any views or making any comments), I was banned.

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Well having used an id of whiteelephant rather than your actual name then it would seem you wished to remain anonymous.

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 02:31 AM
Hi Bill,

Apart from yourself there are few other people here using their real names. This is a chat forum, that is why we have handles. If you want to know who I am, just ask (hopefully I won't get banned again if I tell you).

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Bill,

Apart from yourself there are few other people here using their real names. This is a chat forum, that is why we have handles. If you want to know who I am, just ask (hopefully I won't get banned again if I tell you).
Hi George,
I would have said that slightly differently.
I would have phrased it as follows:
"Apart from yourself there are few other people here using their real names or subsets of their real names or who have otherwise made their identity known to the posters at large. This is a chat forum, that is why some have handles, especially those wishing to remain anonymous."

JGB
21-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi George,
I would have said that slightly differently.
I would have phrased it as follows:
"Apart from yourself there are few other people here using their real names or subsets of their real names or who have otherwise made their identity known to the posters at large. This is a chat forum, that is why some have handles, especially those wishing to remain anonymous."

I agree, I believe it depends on how people regard the forum. Those people who are here to stir s**t are more likely to use a handle and keep away from being recognised. But that is not the only reason to create a disguised handle of course. Whereas those people who use their name or a 'subset' as you call it like I do (it is pretty obviously JGB is just short for my full name) are more likely to post the 'truth', if thats possible to say. The chess related topics for example are used more often by those without a disguised handle name as those with, compared to how much those disguised handle names post on the non chess topics.

Bill Gletsos
21-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I agree, I believe it depends on how people regard the forum. Those people who are here to stir s**t are more likely to use a handle and keep away from being recognised. But that is not the only reason to create a disguised handle of course. Whereas those people who use their name or a 'subset' as you call it like I do (it is pretty obviously JGB is just short for my full name) are more likely to post the 'truth', if thats possible to say. The chess related topics for example are used more often by those without a disguised handle name as those with, compared to how much those disguised handle names post on the non chess topics.
There are a number of unidentified users who have posted on the chess threads especially some who have been critical of the Aus Open and related events remaining at Mt. Buller.

arosar
21-10-2004, 03:47 PM
. . . those people who use their name or a 'subset' as you call it like I do (it is pretty obviously JGB is just short for my full name) are more likely to post the 'truth', if thats possible to say.

Well said mate. That's why I'm very truthful!

Say, what time is it there? When you coming home?

AR

JGB
21-10-2004, 03:56 PM
There are a number of unidentified users who have posted on the chess threads especially some who have been critical of the Aus Open and related events remaining at Mt. Buller.

Naturally, I was just saying they are more likely to post on certain threads. These non chess related topic are also a lot of fun although I rarely post there.

JGB
21-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Well said mate. That's why I'm very truthful!

Say, what time is it there? When you coming home?

AR

Its just afer 8 am now. I started work way too early this morning. We have the Permanent Visa :lol: and are planning on flying in the second week of January. :owned:

Garvinator
21-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Its just afer 8 am now. I started work way too early this morning. We have the Permanent Visa :lol: and are planning on flying in the second week of January. :owned:
which city is going to be lucky to have you join them :hmm:

JGB
21-10-2004, 04:16 PM
which city is going to be lucky to have you join them :hmm:

Lucky or unlucky? I will be heading back home to Melbourne first, where the family is, but it all depends on where we can find work in the long run. I am not really biased for any city.

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Re: Previous point about handles - I view handles as an opportunity for people to be creative and express themselves in a partcular way. They are not necessarily a form of disguise.

Those people who are here to stir and cause trouble should be ignored regardless of who they are, until they hopefully get the message and go away.

arosar
21-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Well who r u then man?

AR

eclectic
21-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Well who r u then man?

AR

:ermm:

who cares?

:ponder:

eclectic

:bored:

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Friendly place.

If you want to talk to me, say hello, introduce yourself and I will be more than happy to talk to you.

JGB
21-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Friendly place.

If you want to talk to me, say hello, introduce yourself and I will be more than happy to talk to you.

Hello I am James, please to meet you. :)

eclectic
21-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Friendly place.

hello,

i'm eclectic <--- (1) !!

i blame my ancestry, native intelligence, environment , and medication regimen for that state of affairs

cheers

refer to (1)

:owned:

skip to my lou
21-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Friendly place.

If anyone on this BB has a hostile attitude towards you, then you know who to blame!

JGB
21-10-2004, 07:57 PM
hello,

i'm eclectic <--- (1) !!

i blame my ancestry, native intelligence, environment , and medication regimen for that state of affairs

cheers

refer to (1)

:owned:

...blame no one but yourself. In life we can not remain invisible like it is possible on Chesskit.

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 10:12 PM
If anyone on this BB has a hostile attitude towards you, then you know who to blame!

You?

To everyone who said hi - nice to meet you. I am George from Melbourne - I think I might have mentioned my name in an earlier post anyway. I work as a chess coach which is why I have decided to join here. To hopefully get a better of idea of what's happening in the chess scene.

George

skip to my lou
21-10-2004, 10:20 PM
You?

What??? :confused:

WhiteElephant
21-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Just kidding...

What??? :confused:

skip to my lou
22-10-2004, 12:37 AM
http://chesschat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1

Just kidding...

Trent Parker
22-10-2004, 09:52 AM
:lol: :clap:

good one jeo

ursogr8
06-12-2004, 04:05 PM

And a select number of these became 'identified' when their e-mail accounts were broadcast on the bb.
So, George, it is not only PMs you need to be wary about.