PDA

View Full Version : Oceania Zonal 2013 Fiji

Brian_Jones
26-07-2012, 09:15 AM
The venue for the 2013 Oceania Zonal is now confirmed as the Naviti Resort on the Coral Coast, 4 May 2013 (arrival) to 11 May 2013 (departure).
Full details to follow in due course.

ER
26-07-2012, 11:49 AM
The venue for the 2013 Oceania Zonal is now confirmed as the Naviti Resort on the Coral Coast, 4 May 2013 (arrival) to 11 May 2013 (departure).
Full details to follow in due course.

Just in case you didn't know that's in Fiji! :P

Garrett
26-07-2012, 12:11 PM

ha ha thanks Jak, I certainly had to 'google'.

cheers
Garrett

flukey
26-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Well I have marked this one down in the calender - well done Brian for getting venue and date organised so far in advance!!

Kevin Bonham
26-07-2012, 01:06 PM

I've edited that into the thread heading.

ER
26-07-2012, 05:12 PM
ha ha thanks Jak, I certainly had to 'google'.

cheers
Garrett

LOL Garrett, we 've a Coral Coast in Aus (WA) too and I wanted to make sure Fludey didn't end up there instead! :P

I've edited that into the thread heading.

Thanks Kev!

BTW I searched Naviti earlier in the morning and apparently they don't have accommodation available for all dates of the tournament!

Unless Brian has thought of it and has organised for availability of rooms, I think it's wise for all having planned to or thought of going (incl. myself) to search for alternative accommodation close to the venue etc.

You might think May 2013 is way to far ahead but it's not. Coral Coast (Fiji) is a paradise on earth (not that our one in WA isn't) and very popular with tourists who plan their visit there way ahead!

Brian_Jones
27-07-2012, 08:37 AM
BTW I searched Naviti earlier in the morning and apparently they don't have accommodation available for all dates of the tournament!

Unless Brian has thought of it and has organised for availability of rooms, I think it's wise for all having planned to or thought of going (incl. myself) to search for alternative accommodation close to the venue etc.

You might think May 2013 is way to far ahead but it's not. Coral Coast (Fiji) is a paradise on earth (not that our one in WA isn't) and very popular with tourists who plan their visit there way ahead!

I think you will find that we already have block bookings on rooms at the Naviti Resort. It is highly recommended that you stay on-site! Please wait for the entry form!

ER
27-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I think you will find that we already have block bookings on rooms at the Naviti Resort. It is highly recommended that you stay on-site! Please wait for the entry form!

Thanks Prez, see I left the possibility of you having taken care of it open!

Unless Brian has thought of it and has organised for availability of rooms ...

Alana
29-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I have to play this one - haven't played a zonal yet and I want to try and pick up a title!

Michael Wei
31-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Oooh, think I'll play in this one.

Tournament ends right before my birthday, hmmm =)

heligan
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
It's been pointed out to me that the dates don't fall into NZ school holidays. I guess there will be a few kiwis who will be unable to play as a result of that.

lost
09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
It's been pointed out to me that the dates don't fall into NZ school holidays. I guess there will be a few kiwis who will be unable to play as a result of that.

Heligan,

Its also during the term for Australia as well. Will be interesting to see who turns up for the event.

lost

Brian_Jones
23-09-2012, 11:02 AM
2013 OCEANIA ZONAL CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Venue: The Naviti Resort, Coral Coast, Fiji Islands

Date: Saturday 4th May to Friday 10th May 2013

jashint
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
The 2013 Oceania Zonal website is now available at http://oceania2013.fijichess.com/

Please note the April 15th deadline for early bird registration and contact the organizers for accomadation bookings or any further information.

heligan
19-10-2012, 01:53 PM
It would be much appreciated if someone familiar with the area could post information about nearby cheap accommodation, and nearby cafes/restaurants where players can get lunch and dinner.

mikesguns
21-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Heligan,

Its also during the term for Australia as well. Will be interesting to see who turns up for the event.

lost
Im sure all non-year 12 students will make the trip if they really want to/if their parents let them, its only a week of school off, and its also early in the year.
Also will titles be awarded similar to how they have been in the past few years? ie 1 IM title for someone who gets >6 points, and 2 FM titles for those who achieve >4.5 points

heligan
01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
News reports say the Naviti Resort is on fire...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/7894797/Major-Fiji-resort-ablaze

Tony Dowden
07-11-2012, 06:04 AM
News reports say the Naviti Resort is on fire...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/7894797/Major-Fiji-resort-ablaze

Yes, I was wondering if that was the Zonal venue!

Adamski
08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Yes, I was wondering if that was the Zonal venue!
Yes it is and I guess now the organisers will be looking for a new venue. Fire in a nice hotel is very sad.

Brian_Jones
09-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Dear All,

Flames engulfed the Naviti Resort, official venue for the 2013 Oceania Zonal in May, yesterday afternoon (Nov. 1) which completely destroyed the central building that has the main lounge, restaurants including the big Wasawasa Restaurant/Conference Room where we're supposed to have the tournament, shops and offices. The extent of the fire damage will definitely rule out having the event at Naviti. In the next few days, I will be liasing with the Events Manager/Sales Manager for the possibility of shifting the Oceania Zonal to it's sister resort - Warwick Fiji Resort and Spa (where we had the 2002 Oceania). I will be informing everybody in due time.

Best regards.

Dr. Virgilio de Asa
President, FCF

Adamski
09-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Dear All,

Flames engulfed the Naviti Resort, official venue for the 2013 Oceania Zonal in May, yesterday afternoon (Nov. 1) which completely destroyed the central building that has the main lounge, restaurants including the big Wasawasa Restaurant/Conference Room where we're supposed to have the tournament, shops and offices. The extent of the fire damage will definitely rule out having the event at Naviti. In the next few days, I will be liasing with the Events Manager/Sales Manager for the possibility of shifting the Oceania Zonal to it's sister resort - Warwick Fiji Resort and Spa (where we had the 2002 Oceania). I will be informing everybody in due time.

Best regards.

Dr. Virgilio de Asa
President, FCF
________________________________________Best wishes to the organisers in finding a good new venue.

ER
10-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Best wishes to the organisers in finding a good new venue.

Ditto from me! It's a pity for such hard work of such dedicated people to go to waste! :(

Kaitlin
20-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Its Fiji .. yous could just play on the lawn

Tony Dowden
23-11-2012, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the Aussie humour Kaitlin :)

William AS
23-11-2012, 01:18 PM
The Bar has burnt down and the the Barbecue will be cold by then! :doh: :(

Tony Dowden
25-11-2012, 07:52 AM
The Bar has burnt down and the the Barbecue will be cold by then! :doh: :(

Tell the Kiwis to bring some No 8 wire for the barbie and she'll be right mate. You bring the chillibin. BYO jandals and togs :cool:

lost
15-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Hi everyone,

Have we had any update as to what is happening with the zonal?

lost

Kate1978girl
15-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I'll likely be entering, would be nice to get a title :)

MichaelBaron
16-12-2012, 12:29 AM
LOL :)

Kate1978girl
16-12-2012, 12:32 PM
LOL :)

WIM title is well within my reach if I play to form :)

MichaelBaron
16-12-2012, 02:39 PM
WIM title is well within my reach if I play to form :)

I am sure it is...but that will make you yet another ''soft'' IM :)

Kate1978girl
16-12-2012, 09:59 PM

It will mean free tournament entries (encourages me to play more often & could be said is good for the development of women's chess from a marketing perspective) .... while I work towards the FM title. The male IM title I'll concede is out of reach given my age. I don't make the rules, only play by them :)

Keong Ang
17-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Now category 4 cyclone Evan hits them... :(

Lekko
18-12-2012, 04:30 PM
You tell the coolest stories bro :owned:

Alana
19-12-2012, 09:52 PM

I'll MIGHT BE be fighting you for it :)

Kate1978girl
20-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I'll MIGHT BE be fighting you for it :)

Good luck ;-)

jashint
20-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Dear all

As you know there have been several key factors that have externally affected the 2013 zonal prior to commencement, including the fire that affected the conference rooms at the venue and the recent cyclone.

While these are unfortunate and unavoidable, the organizers have successfully found an alternate venue. The event will now be held at the Sonaisali Island Resort (http://www.sonaisali.com/)

It is vitally important that all interested contact the organizers immediately to ensure that there is no misunderstanding. The two venues are quite a distance apart and travelling between the two will be a hassle.

The organizers have also managed to secure good accomadation rates and encourage all to apply through them.

Further updated information will be available soon at http://oceania2013.fijichess.com/

Tony Dowden
23-12-2012, 11:07 AM
... the organizers have successfully found an alternate venue ... the Sonaisali Island Resort (http://www.sonaisali.com/)
... The organizers have also managed to secure good accomadation rates ...
Further updated information will be available soon at http://oceania2013.fijichess.com/

Great to hear about the alternative venue and accommodation :clap: :clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
25-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Accomodation appears to be quite expensive for ''special rates''

Alana
25-01-2013, 10:14 PM
$104 AUD twin share a night? Are you mad?

MichaelBaron
25-01-2013, 11:44 PM

May be I am..forgot to check the exchange rate between the AUD and Fij dollar - so thought its 100 AUD per person :)

Bill Gletsos
29-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Given that more zonal IM titles will be on offer after 1st July 2013, will the 2013 Oceania Zonal be postponed to a date after 1st July?

The zonal FM and CM titles are harder to get than before.

Sub-Continental Individual (includes Zonals and Sub-zonals)
IM/WIM title - 1st equal – title; Silver & Bronze - title
FM/WFM title - 65% in min 9 games - title
CM/WCM title - 50% in min 9 games - title

Kevin Bonham
29-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm thinking that if the field is a reasonably strong one the changes will actually make Z-IM titles harder to get (good thing too!)

Bill Gletsos
29-01-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm thinking that if the field is a reasonably strong one the changes will actually make Z-IM titles harder to get (good thing too!)True.

heligan
18-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Check out
https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation
for some useful local information from John Caldeira. Hopefully he will be posting it on this forum too!

(You don't need to login to Facebook to read the NZCF page)

jcaldeira
18-02-2013, 11:50 AM
By way of introduction, my name is John Caldeira and I am a Fiji chess player. I am not an organizer of the Zonal or affiliated with any hotels.

For those that find the cost of the tournament venue expensive, allow me to suggest some alternatives.

First, the tournament venue, the Sonaisali Island Resort, is approximately 12 km south of Nadi town. There are no other resorts very close to the Sonaisali. The Sonaisali provides FREE boat transfer to their resort from the landing on Viti Levu (the main island). The hotel confirmed to me today that it runs 24/7, only takes a few minutes, and is also free for non-hotel guests.

Most of the inexpensive hotels are north of Nadi town, on the shore near the airport (Nadi Bay area). They have everything from dorm beds in the $25 FJ range ($13 AU) to private rooms for less than $100 FJ ($55 AU). This is approximately 18 km or 25-30 minutes from the tournament site.

Here are a few popular inexpensive hotels near the airport:
Nadi Bay Resort (http://www.hostelbookers.com/property/prp/6155/arr/2013-05-04/ngt/7/ppl/1/)
Smugglers Cove (http://www.smugglersbeachfiji.com/home_page.htm/1)
Tropic of Capricorn Resort (http://www.hostelbookers.com/property/prp/25128/arr/2013-05-04/ngt/7/ppl/1/)

These resorts are approximately 18 km from the tournament site. Taxi fare would be approximately $20-25 FJ ($12 AU) to/from the tournament each way. Taxi prices are approximately $1.50 plus $1 per km.

There will also likely be some local chess players that have ground transportation, but don't count on it.

There are plenty of restaurants around Nadi town and near the inexpensive resorts, and a few decent supermarkets. However, nobody comes to Fiji for the great food so don't get your hopes up. Words such as 'pizza' or 'burger' probably won't mean the same as you'd find at home, unfortunately, but you might get lucky.

John

braindied
18-02-2013, 03:16 PM

It is Fiji 198 per room, about 104-108 AUS for a twin room.

ER
18-02-2013, 06:07 PM
By way of introduction, my name is John Caldeira and I am a Fiji chess player. I am not an organizer of the Zonal or affiliated with any hotels.

For those that find the cost of the tournament venue expensive, allow me to suggest some alternatives.

First, the tournament venue, the Sonaisali Island Resort, is approximately 12 km south of Nadi town. There are no other resorts very close to the Sonaisali. The Sonaisali provides FREE boat transfer to their resort from the landing on Viti Levu (the main island). The hotel confirmed to me today that it runs 24/7, only takes a few minutes, and is also free for non-hotel guests.

Most of the inexpensive hotels are north of Nadi town, on the shore near the airport (Nadi Bay area). They have everything from dorm beds in the $25 FJ range ($13 AU) to private rooms for less than $100 FJ ($55 AU). This is approximately 18 km or 25-30 minutes from the tournament site.

Here are a few popular inexpensive hotels near the airport:
Nadi Bay Resort (http://www.hostelbookers.com/property/prp/6155/arr/2013-05-04/ngt/7/ppl/1/)
Smugglers Cove (http://www.smugglersbeachfiji.com/home_page.htm/1)
Tropic of Capricorn Resort (http://www.hostelbookers.com/property/prp/25128/arr/2013-05-04/ngt/7/ppl/1/)

These resorts are approximately 18 km from the tournament site. Taxi fare would be approximately $20-25 FJ ($12 AU) to/from the tournament each way. Taxi prices are approximately $1.50 plus $1 per km.

There will also likely be some local chess players that have ground transportation, but don't count on it.

There are plenty of restaurants around Nadi town and near the inexpensive resorts, and a few decent supermarkets. However, nobody comes to Fiji for the great food so don't get your hopes up. Words such as 'pizza' or 'burger' probably won't mean the same as you'd find at home, unfortunately, but you might get lucky.

John

Thanks for taking time to provide us with all this interesting / helpful information John.

Good luck in the tournament!

TrebleClef
11-03-2013, 07:32 AM
It is Fiji 198 per room, about 104-108 AUS for a twin room.
I booked a twin room through the organisers for 8 nights and got a message from virgilio de asa requesting 50% of accommodation cost to be paid to the zonal chess account by 31 March. As it is't a standard hotel booking policy, I am wondering if anyone else got the dame request.

Bessie

GinoTHEstud
14-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi

Yes I got the same request also. I am sharing a twin room with another player.
%50 now and the rest on arrival.

Does anyone have a list of entries?

I heard Illingworth is the top seed, then Igor B.

lost
28-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi

Yes I got the same request also. I am sharing a twin room with another player.
%50 now and the rest on arrival.

Does anyone have a list of entries?

I heard Illingworth is the top seed, then Igor B.

Do we have a list of entrants for the event at all? If not a list the top seeds for the both events?

lost

Chemi_cal
29-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I'll make an attempt to answer some queries.

Top seeds for the Open category currently Max Illingworth, Igor, Gary Lane, Bob Smith (not in order). These are the confirmed entries.

The venue (Sonaisali) requires a 50% deposit on all rooms we're holding by March 31st. Required for all rooms, so we've all had to pay up.

Thanks
Calvin

lost
30-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'll make an attempt to answer some queries.

Top seeds for the Open category currently Max Illingworth, Igor, Gary Lane, Bob Smith (not in order). These are the confirmed entries.

The venue (Sonaisali) requires a 50% deposit on all rooms we're holding by March 31st. Required for all rooms, so we've all had to pay up.

Thanks
Calvin

Thanks for updating everyone on the happening of the Zonal. If you could update us say every 10 days with list of players (top seeds) and how things are coming along. Keep up the great work for Calvin and team.

lost

Chemi_cal
02-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi, I've just created a Facebook page for Fiji Chess Federation. So do 'Like' us, we'll be updating in frequently with Zonal updates.

https://www.facebook.com/fijichess

Lekko
03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Expect my entry in the coming days. I just need to make sure I can get a passport and the money I need together.

Brian_Jones
16-04-2013, 05:02 PM
See http://chess-results.com/tnr98268.aspx?lan=1

Womens at http://chess-results.com/tnr98271.aspx?lan=1

MichaelBaron
16-04-2013, 10:25 PM
This could possibly be the weakest zonal ever :)

Lekko
16-04-2013, 10:26 PM
This could possibly be the weakest zonal ever :)
There's still time for people to enter :P There's just a late fee...

Brian_Jones
02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Relax people. FIDE ratings officer usually catches up. After all it's is still May the first! :)

The Oceania Zonals start on 5 May (this Sunday). I updated the players list yesterday but gave up as very little has changed since 1 April.

We will be unable to show the updated ratings for the players that competed in the Doeberl Cup, Sydney International and other events held in Australia over a month ago!

Nevertheless, the Zonal pairings will probably be posted on Saturday night.

Bollard
05-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Nevertheless, the Zonal pairings will probably be posted on Saturday night.

Where will pairings / results be posted?

Kai
05-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Where will pairings / results be posted?

As far as I can see, there are no pairings at all on the Chess-Results server. The official tournament website does not even have a tab / link to any results / pairings.

And of course, there is no such information here on this forum either.

It isn't very impressive for such a significant tournament.

I was even expecting to be able to watch at least one live DGT game.......but that may be too much to ask for right now :wall:

Altecman
05-05-2013, 11:10 AM
As far as I can see, there are no pairings at all on the Chess-Results server. The official tournament website does not even have a tab / link to any results / pairings.

And of course, there is no such information here on this forum either.

It isn't very impressive for such a significant tournament.

I was even expecting to be able to watch at least one live DGT game.......but that may be too much to ask for right now :wall:

Yes, disappointing. Even though this event is not as strong as other oceanic tournaments like Doeberl. It is arguably the most important, as the winner gets into the World Cup (not the mention the titles) hopefully it is first round problems and a statement will be made soon.

peter_parr
05-05-2013, 11:33 AM
The zone president said round 1 pairings would probably be posted Saturday night. It is now 1.30pm Sunday Fiji time four hours after the event started at 9.30 am.
Pairings not yet available ? No press release as far as I know.

There are 37 in open plus 14 in women's according to the last post some days ago. Officials in Nadi include organiser,chief arbiter,and two deputy arbiters.

There are multiple DGT electronic boards in the zone. It would have been good to have latest up-to-date info to publish in my SMH chess column this week (41st year).

The first round of a World Cup qualifying event is often hectic so I am sure it will improve by round 2.

Altecman
05-05-2013, 12:04 PM
The zone president said round 1 pairings would probably be posted Saturday night. It is now 1.30pm Sunday Fiji time four hours after the event started at 9.30 am.
Pairings not yet available ? No press release as far as I know.

There are 37 in open plus 14 in women's according to the last post some days ago. Officials in Nadi include organiser,chief arbiter,and two deputy arbiters.

There are multiple DGT electronic boards in the zone. It would have been good to have latest up-to-date info to publish in my SMH chess column this week (41st year).

The first round of a World Cup qualifying event is often hectic so I am sure it will improve by round 2.

They posted photo's on facebook under the Fiji chess page. Johansen was playing on Bd 1. Non DGT Board, so by the looks of it no DGT boards in the tournament.

Kai
05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
They posted photo's on facebook under the Fiji chess page. Johansen was playing on Bd 1. Non DGT Board, so by the looks of it no DGT boards in the tournament.

Round two draws are now out (physically, not online).

I understand Darryl drew his first round game with Oscar Wang. I don't have any other news.

I don't suppose we will see the round two pairings / results published either, but let's hope these are just teething issues.......fingers crossed.

Altecman
05-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Round two draws are now out (physically, not online).

I understand Darryl drew his first round game with Oscar Wang. I don't have any other news.

I don't suppose we will see the round two pairings / results published either, but let's hope these are just teething issues.......fingers crossed.

Frank said that there were no upsets in Rd 1, other then Johansen drawing.

jashint
05-05-2013, 01:15 PM
2013 Oceania Zonal Open
Round 2
SNo. Name Rtg FED 1.Rd. 2.Rd. Pts.
2 IM Illingworth Max 2423 AUS 21 w 1 11b
3 IM Lane Gary W. 2412 AUS 22 b 1 12w
4 FM Bjelobrk Igor 2329 AUS 23 w 1 13b
5 Tan Justin 2249 AUS 24 b 1 14w
6 IM Feldman Vladimir 2233 AUS 25 w 1 15b
7 FM Smith Robert W 2227 NZL 26 b 1 16w
8 Dale Ari 2222 AUS 27 w 1 17b
9 Smirnov Anton 2194 AUS 28 b 1 18w
10 Zelesco Karl 2169 AUS 29 w 1 19b
11 Mandla Blair 2123 AUS 30 b 1 1w
12 Dordevic Ivan 2095 NZL 31 w 1 2b
13 FM Fancy Stuart 2091 PNG 32 b 1 3w
14 Lekkas Frank 2045 AUS 33 w 1 4b
15 Plew Jeffrey 2043 AUS 34 b 1 5w
16 Muller Jonas 2039 AUS 35 w 1 6b
17 CM Prasad Calvin 2018 FIJ 36 b 1 7w
18 CM Kumar Manoj 2012 FIJ 37 w 1 8b
19 Safarian Alek 2011 AUS 38 b 1 9w
1 GM Johansen Darryl K. 2430 AUS 20 b ˝ 22w
20 Wang Oscar 2008 AUS 19 w ˝ 21b
21 Kempen Leon 1996 AUS 1 b 0 20w
22 Spiller Paul 1987 NZL 2 w 0 19b
23 Ilic Ilija 1981 AUS 3 b 0 0 32w
24 CM Goundar Sanmogam 1936 FIJ 4 w 0 31b
25 Puccini Jack 1891 AUS 5 b 0 34w
26 Bekker Gary 1827 AUS 6 w 0 33b
27 Antoniazzi Francesco 1735 AUS 7 b 0 36w
28 Tepuke Price 1721 SOL 8 w 0 0 35b
29 Egan Bill 1719 AUS 9 b 0 38w
30 Arvind Goru 1659 FIJ 10 w 0 37b
31 Adricula Noel A 1654 FIJ 11 b 0 24w
32 Terubea Ronald 1642 FIJ 12 w 0 23b
33 Aich Alexander 0 AUS 13 b 0 26b
34 Caldeira John 0 FIJ 14 w 0 25b
35 Fareed Meenash 0 FIJ 15 b 0 28w
36 Lui Danny 0 SOL 16 w 0 27b
37 Seniwaratne Vinooda 0 FIJ 17 b 30w
38 Terubea Keez 0 FIJ 18 w 0 29b

jashint
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
2013 Oceania Zonal Womens
Round 2
1 IM Berezina Irina 2191 AUS 9 w 1 6 b
2 WIM Guo Emma 2092 AUS 10 b 1 5 w
4 WIM Lane Nancy 1930 AUS 11 b 1 7 w
5 WCM Wijesuriya G.V. 1846 AUS 12 w 1 2 b
6 Narenthran Savithri 1765 AUS 13 b 1 1 w
7 Anton Sarah 1751 AUS 14 w 1 3 b
3 Jarek Katherine 1940 AUS 8 w ˝ 8 b
10 Vukikomoala Hilda 1426 FIJ 7 b ˝ 9 w
8 WFM Smith Vivian J 1742 NZL 1 b 0 3 w 0
9 Sukhu Gloria 1517 FIJ 2 w 0 10 b 0
11 Bale Amy 0 FIJ 3 w 0 14 b 0
12 Koroi Claudya 0 FIJ 4 b 0 13 w 0
13 Koroi Teliko 0 FIJ 5 w 0 12 b 0
14 Masilomani Jacquelyn 0 FIJ 6 b 0 11 w 0

jashint
05-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Round one results and draws for round two posted, there are no DGT boards, however all games will be available after the event on the Oceania/Fiji Chess Federation website.

Oscar Wang's draw on board 1 is highly commendable. The only other mentionable news was local womens champion Hilda Vukikomoala's draw with Kathrine Jarek.

Unfortunately the island had restricted internet access and we can only post things haphazardly, will try my best to update as possible.

Oepty
05-05-2013, 01:24 PM
2013 Oceania Zonal Open

Round 2
2 IM Illingworth Max 2423 AUS 21 w 1 10 b 1
3 IM Lane Gary W. 2412 AUS 22 b 1 11 w 1
4 FM Bjelobrk Igor 2329 AUS 23 w 1 12 b 1
5 Tan Justin 2249 AUS 24 b 1 13 w 1
6 IM Feldman V 2233 AUS 25 w 1 14 b 1
7 FM Smith Robert W 2227 NZL 26 b 1 15 w 1
8 Dale Ari 2222 AUS 27 w 1 16 b 1
9 Smirnov Anton 2194 AUS 28 b 1 17 w 1
10 Zelesco Karl 2169 AUS 29 w 1 18 b 1
11 Mandla Blair 2123 AUS 30 b 1 1 w 1
12 Dordevic Ivan 2095 NZL 31 w 1 2 b 1
13 FM Fancy Stuart 2091 PNG 32 b 1 3 w 1
14 Lekkas Frank 2045 AUS 33 w 1 4 b 1
15 Plew Jeffrey 2043 AUS 34 b 1 5 w 1
16 Muller Jonas 2039 AUS 35 w 1 6 b 1
17 CM Prasad Calvin 2018 FIJ 36 b 1 7 w 1
18 CM Kumar Manoj 2012 FIJ 37 w 1 8 b 1
19 Safarian Alek 2011 AUS 38 b 1 9 w 1
1 GM Johansen Darryl 2430 AUS 20 b ˝ 22 w ˝
20 Wang Oscar 2008 AUS 19 w ˝ 21 b ˝
21 Kempen Leon 1996 AUS 1 b 0 20 w 0
22 Spiller Paul 1987 NZL 2 w 0 19 b 0
23 Ilic Ilija 1981 AUS 3 b 0 32 w 0
24 CM Goundar S 1936 FIJ 4 w 0 31 b 0
25 Puccini Jack 1891 AUS 5 b 0 34 w 0
26 Bekker Gary 1827 AUS 6 w 0 33 b 0
27 Antoniazzi F 1735 AUS 7 b 0 36 w 0
28 Tepuke Price 1721 SOL 8 w 0 35 b 0
29 Egan Bill 1719 AUS 9 b 0 38 w 0
30 Arvind Goru 1659 FIJ 10 w 0 37 b 0
31 Adricula Noel A 1654 FIJ 11 b 0 24 w 0
32 Terubea Ronald 1642 FIJ 12 w 0 23 b 0
33 Aich Alexander 0 AUS 13 b 0 26 w 0
34 Caldeira John 0 FIJ 14 w 0 25 b 0
35 Fareed Meenash 0 FIJ 15 b 0 28 w 0
36 Lui Danny 0 SOL 16 w 0 27 b 0
37 Seniwaratne V 0 FIJ 17 b 0 30 w 0
38 Terubea Keez 0 FIJ 18 w 0 29 b 0

Thank you for the results.

Altecman
05-05-2013, 01:25 PM
2013 Oceania Zonal Open
Round 2
2 IM Illingworth Max 2423 AUS 21 w 1 10 b 1
3 IM Lane Gary W. 2412 AUS 22 b 1 11 w 1
4 FM Bjelobrk Igor 2329 AUS 23 w 1 12 b 1
5 Tan Justin 2249 AUS 24 b 1 13 w 1
6 IM Feldman Vladimir 2233 AUS 25 w 1 14 b 1
7 FM Smith Robert W 2227 NZL 26 b 1 15 w 1
8 Dale Ari 2222 AUS 27 w 1 16 b 1
9 Smirnov Anton 2194 AUS 28 b 1 17 w 1
10 Zelesco Karl 2169 AUS 29 w 1 18 b 1
11 Mandla Blair 2123 AUS 30 b 1 1 w 1
12 Dordevic Ivan 2095 NZL 31 w 1 2 b 1
13 FM Fancy Stuart 2091 PNG 32 b 1 3 w 1
14 Lekkas Frank 2045 AUS 33 w 1 4 b 1
15 Plew Jeffrey 2043 AUS 34 b 1 5 w 1
16 Muller Jonas 2039 AUS 35 w 1 6 b 1
17 CM Prasad Calvin 2018 FIJ 36 b 1 7 w 1
18 CM Kumar Manoj 2012 FIJ 37 w 1 8 b 1
19 Safarian Alek 2011 AUS 38 b 1 9 w 1
1 GM Johansen Darryl K. 2430 AUS 20 b ˝ 22 w ˝
20 Wang Oscar 2008 AUS 19 w ˝ 21 b ˝
21 Kempen Leon 1996 AUS 1 b 0 20 w 0
22 Spiller Paul 1987 NZL 2 w 0 19 b 0
23 Ilic Ilija 1981 AUS 3 b 0 32 w 0
24 CM Goundar Sanmogam 1936 FIJ 4 w 0 31 b 0
25 Puccini Jack 1891 AUS 5 b 0 34 w 0
26 Bekker Gary 1827 AUS 6 w 0 33 b 0
27 Antoniazzi Francesco 1735 AUS 7 b 0 36 w 0
28 Tepuke Price 1721 SOL 8 w 0 35 b 0
29 Egan Bill 1719 AUS 9 b 0 38 w 0
30 Arvind Goru 1659 FIJ 10 w 0 37 b 0
31 Adricula Noel A 1654 FIJ 11 b 0 24 w 0
32 Terubea Ronald 1642 FIJ 12 w 0 23 b 0
33 Aich Alexander 0 AUS 13 b 0 26 w 0
34 Caldeira John 0 FIJ 14 w 0 25 b 0
35 Fareed Meenash 0 FIJ 15 b 0 28 w 0
36 Lui Danny 0 SOL 16 w 0 27 b 0
37 Seniwaratne Vinooda 0 FIJ 17 b 0 30 w 0
38 Terubea Keez 0 FIJ 18 w 0 29 b 0

This kind of makes sense.. Thanks for the results. Is it possible to get it a less confusing structure?

Oepty
05-05-2013, 01:29 PM
This kind of makes sense.. Thanks for the results. Is it possible to get it a less confusing structure?

Yes it is, see my post above. Hopefully the original will be made to look similar.

Kai
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM

No, it doesn't make sense to me at all......

e.g. It's got Justin playing white vs No.13, which is Stuart Fancy.

But Stuart Fancy is playing white vs No.3, which is Gary Lane.

But in actual fact, Justin is playing white vs Frank Lekkas (which is No.14).

What a mess :wall:

Altecman
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM

I think the seed's are changed based on Johansen drawing which is stupid. The seed numbers should remain the same regardless of results to avoid confusion

Oepty
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM

It appears the numbers under 2.rd. are in fact the players ranking position, not their starting number. That is rather confusing. So Justin is currently ranked 4th and Frank Lekkas is ranked 13th.

Kai
05-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I think the seed's are changed based on Johansen drawing which is stupid. The seed numbers should remain the same regardless of results to avoid confusion

No, following my intervention, Wendy went to ask, and it seems the arbiter has posted incorrect pairings (which I think are now being edited as we speak)....

I think I am going to have to be the self-appointed arbiter monitor..:rolleyes:

Oepty
05-05-2013, 01:44 PM
EDIT: Probably this post should be ignored because of what Kai has just said.

I think the 2nd round pairings for the top boards are

1. Mandla - Illingworth
2. Lane - Dordevic
3. Fancy - Bjelobrk
4. Tan - Lekkas
5. Plew - Feldman
6. Smith - Muller
7. Prasad - Dale
8. Smirnov - Kumar
9. Safarian - Zelesco

MichaelBaron
05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Where to see the results and the live games? the Chess Results site does not appear to be updated for 3 days.

Altecman
05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
It appears the numbers under 2.rd. are in fact the players ranking position, not their starting number. That is rather confusing. So Justin is currently ranked 4th and Frank Lekkas is ranked 13th.

This will get very confusing after next round assuming there are upsets

Oepty
05-05-2013, 01:49 PM
No, following my intervention, Wendy went to ask, and it seems the arbiter has posted incorrect pairings (which I think are now being edited as we speak)....

I think I am going to have to be the self-appointed arbiter monitor..:rolleyes:

Now I am even more confused. You can get a perfectly good set of pairings out of that crosstable, once you look at it the way I think it is supposed to be read. I cannot see how the pairings I constructed are not the correct pairings for the first nine boards of round 2, however perhaps I am missing something.

Oepty
05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
This will get very confusing after next round assuming there are upsets

It does not have to be the case. If a crosstable is produced which shows the individual rankings of all the players and does not show the starting numbers then there would be no confusion.
I hope such a crosstable can be produced.

Altecman
05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
This whole situation is ludicrous. Big tournament, and simple things like pairings and results, when finally produced are confusing and incorrect.

Bollard
05-05-2013, 02:04 PM
If the results are uploaded to chess-results.com then you should be able to get a crosstable arranged by either starting ranking or current ranking.

I went back and checked it for the Doeberl Cup and that was the case.

I do find it a bit curious that an international resort in Fiji has dodgy internet access.

Kai
05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Now I am even more confused. You can get a perfectly good set of pairings out of that crosstable, once you look at it the way I think it is supposed to be read. I cannot see how the pairings I constructed are not the correct pairings for the first nine boards of round 2, however perhaps I am missing something.

Hmm, who knows?

I know for a fact Justin is white v Frank.

But according to the edited table in post #67, Justin is playing Frank (which is No.14 on the table itself - based on seed number).

But Frank is shown as playing No.4 , which is Bjelobrk ( by seed number). If we remedy their error by assuming instead that they mean standing numbers, so we count down physically, then yes, Frank ends uo playing Justin.

But then if we are consistent and assume they mean standings in all their numberings, then Justin's opponent when we count to the 14th person by standings down the list, we have Plew.

In other words, it is inconsistent and it only works if we applied seed numbering to work out Justin's opponent, but then we have to be inconsistent and use standing numbering to work out Frank's opponent !

Whatever the case, I sincerely hope the arbiter recognises this and sorts it out before it gets worse....

Brian_Jones
05-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I do find it a bit curious that an international resort in Fiji has dodgy internet access.

I don't at all find it curious. Have you been to Fiji? I am told that we have a generator if we lose power this week!

You will be pleased to know that we now have internet access and round 2 has just started.

Chess-results has now been updated. Have a nice day!

PS There are no DGT Boards in Fiji. Would somebody care to donate some boards and arrange for their freight?

Oepty
05-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Hmm, who knows?

I know for a fact Justin is white v Frank.

But according to the edited table in post #67, Justin is playing Frank (which is No.14 on the table itself - based on seed number).

But Frank is shown as playing No.4 , which is Bjelobrk ( by seed number). If we remedy their error by assuming instead that they mean standing numbers, so we count down physically, then yes, Frank ends uo playing Justin.

But then if we are consistent and assume they mean standings in all their numberings, then Justin's opponent when we count to the 14th person by standings down the list, we have Plew.

In other words, it is inconsistent and it only works if we applied seed numbering to work out Justin's opponent, but then we have to be inconsistent and use standing numbering to work out Frank's opponent !

Whatever the case, I sincerely hope the arbiter recognises this and sorts it out before it gets worse....

The crosstable that is now in post 67 seems to be quite normal and should be able to be read correctly.
I think the original crosstable was from Swiss Manager while the crosstable which is there now is from Swiss Perfect, but I am far from 100% certain on this.

Kai
05-05-2013, 02:26 PM
If the results are uploaded to chess-results.com then you should be able to get a crosstable arranged by either starting ranking or current ranking.

I went back and checked it for the Doeberl Cup and that was the case.

I agree - is there any reason why chess-results.com cannot be used for this tournament?

The tournament and players' list is already there.

This should make everything much clearer for everyone to check and see.

Bollard
05-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Results and pairing are now at http://chess-results.com/tnr98268.aspx?art=4&lan=1&wi=821

Watto
05-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Round one results and draws for round two posted, there are no DGT boards, however all games will be available after the event on the Oceania/Fiji Chess Federation website.

Oscar Wang's draw on board 1 is highly commendable. The only other mentionable news was local womens champion Hilda Vukikomoala's draw with Kathrine Jarek.

Unfortunately the island had restricted internet access and we can only post things haphazardly, will try my best to update as possible.
Thanks jashint, appreciate that it's not the easiest internet access. Thanks also to whoever sent the results through to chess-results.com :)

Keong Ang
05-05-2013, 05:08 PM
All the best to Dr Vineetha Wijesuriya who is playing in the Women's zonal in Fiji straight after World Amateurs in Iasi, Romania!

Where does she find the energy to compete and contend with jet-lag???

Tony Dowden
05-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I don't at all find it curious. Have you been to Fiji? I am told that we have a generator if we lose power this week!

You will be pleased to know that we now have internet access and round 2 has just started.

Chess-results has now been updated. Have a nice day!

PS There are no DGT Boards in Fiji. Would somebody care to donate some boards and arrange for their freight?

Thanks Brian - both for the up-date and for providing some needed 'perspective'

Kai
05-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Results and pairing are now at http://chess-results.com/tnr98268.aspx?art=4&lan=1&wi=821

Yes, in fact, the results and R3 pairings went up very fast after the last game finished.

Very pleased to see that the chess-results.com site is now showing all the necessary info clearly and without risk of any further confusion !

Well done, organisers / arbiters :clap: :clap:

Adamski
05-05-2013, 10:45 PM
IM Gary Lane lost in Rd 2 to Ivan from NZL in an upset.

ER
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
here's the Ladies info

http://chess-results.com/tnr98271.aspx?art=2&rd=3&lan=1&wi=821

peter_parr
06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
The following article was published in the Sydney Morning Herald.

The World Championship Oceania Zonal tournaments are being held this week in Nadi, Fiji. The top six seeds in the nine round open and women’s events are all from Australia. Open (37 players) : GM D.Johansen 2430, IM M.Illingworth 2423, IM G.Lane 2412, FM I.Bjelobrk 2329, J.Tan 2249, IM V.Feldman 2233. GM Z.Zhao AUS 2556 and GM D.Smerdon AUS 2504 were unavailable. Top seeds in the women’s zonal (14 players) are :- IM I.Berezina 2191, WIM E.Guo 2092, K.Jarek 1940, WIM N.Lane 1930, WCM G.Wijesuriya 1846, S.Narenthran 1765.

peter_parr
06-05-2013, 01:59 PM

There are meetings being held this week at the zonal of the FIDE development commission as well as an executive meeting of the Oceania Chess Confederation – (note the Australian Chess Federation has never been a member of the OCC).

FIDE via the development commission and the Asian chess federation have each been very generous to OCC with donations of substantial funds. Perhaps the OCC could ensure that at least one or more DGT boards are available at all major zone events.

The zonal President travelled to Fiji with his family to the zonal so taking one DGT board with luggage would cost nothing. Selling the DGT board at half price to Fiji (as I did to NSWCA) is also an option or loaning from ACF or NSWCA.

All world FIDE zonals should be self-sufficient and no DGT board at a zonal in 2013 is very disappointing – Australia and New Zealand are wealthy nations with multiple DGT boards.

By comparison look at the small town of Legnica on the Kaczawa River in south-west Poland which has 100 x DGT electronic boards in operation at its tournament which started last night.

Bollard
06-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what does a DGT board cost, including whatever ancillary equipment is needed to be able to broadcast games?

I'm only asking because I've no idea whether we're talking about $500 or $5000.

Oepty
06-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what does a DGT board cost, including whatever ancillary equipment is needed to be able to broadcast games?

I'm only asking because I've no idea whether we're talking about $500 or $5000.

EDIT: I had the wrong product. Try here, http://www.dgtshop.nl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=202&category_id=29&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

jammo
06-05-2013, 03:25 PM
There are meetings being held this week at the zonal of the FIDE development commission as well as an executive meeting of the Oceania Chess Confederation – (note the Australian Chess Federation has never been a member of the OCC).

FIDE via the development commission and the Asian chess federation have each been very generous to OCC with donations of substantial funds. Perhaps the OCC could ensure that at least one or more DGT boards are available at all major zone events.

The zonal President travelled to Fiji with his family to the zonal so taking one DGT board with luggage would cost nothing. Selling the DGT board at half price to Fiji (as I did to NSWCA) is also an option or loaning from ACF or NSWCA.

All world FIDE zonals should be self-sufficient and no DGT board at a zonal in 2013 is very disappointing – Australia and New Zealand are wealthy nations with multiple DGT boards.

By comparison look at the small town of Legnica on the Kaczawa River in south-west Poland which has 100 x DGT electronic boards in operation at its tournament which started last night.

Great ideas Peter. Another option would be if someone in Fiji had an iPad they could use Tornelo to show the results and live games. Don't think that would be too hard. As a spectator from afar it is very disappointing not to be able to follow the play.

ER
06-05-2013, 03:38 PM
... Another option would be if someone in Fiji had an iPad they could use Tornelo to show the results and live games. Don't think that would be too hard...

Not too late to do it now! Messaging the organisers and letting them know about the availabily of Tornelo (as I suggested in the chess pages of FaceBook) ain't hard either! Go for it! It'll be good for the tournament (not so sure about the ratings part though) and good for Tornelo too! You guys must be ready to make that international step sooner or later! Here's a good opportunity!

Brian_Jones
07-05-2013, 07:18 AM

This comment has created great mirth amongst the Fijians!

Hobbes
07-05-2013, 08:41 AM
The zonal President travelled to Fiji with his family to the zonal so taking one DGT board with luggage would cost nothing.

This comment has created great mirth amongst the non-Fijians!

ER
07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
JUSTIN HIT THE FRONT, ARI IS FINISHING STRONGLY half a point behind! GO BOYS!!! :clap:

AND IN THE GIRLS we have a chance of Irina and Emma tying up for first! :clap:

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
2 1 IM Berezina Irina 2191 3 1 - 0 2˝ Jarek Katherine 1940 3

I do hope antichrist was paying attention to this result.

Garrett
07-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Tan leading !

Jonas Muller having a good tourney.

ER
07-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Tan leading !

Jonas Muller having a good tourney.

Just one point separates the top eleven players!

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2013, 08:23 PM
A number of the title-hunters are doing extremely well.

Top title-hunter on 6/9 or above in each event gets IM/WIM and the next two (or highest two) on 4.5/9 or above get FM/WFM. So after just six rounds, Tan, Muller and Dale have already met the score requirement for FM - the hard bit will be staying in the top three!

In the Women's none of the title-seekers have met the WFM requirement yet. Narenthran and Smith need 2/3 to meet the WIM requirement.

that Caesar guy
07-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Frank Lekkas for IM, get on board

MichaelBaron
07-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Frank Lekkas for IM, get on board
:clap: but my money is on Justin!~

Adamski
08-05-2013, 08:00 AM
NSW IMs Gary and Max can still finish well.

ER
08-05-2013, 08:10 AM
One of the classic confrontations of NSW chess during the last 30 years or so has been whether the Joneses are below Par(r). I have never been happy with that and agree that it is sad :( Not being a NSW player I have not commented on it before but it is sad as it impacts on Australian, not just NSW, chess.

DJ

A sound, logical, wise approach! :clap:

that Caesar guy
08-05-2013, 09:08 AM
:clap: but my money is on Justin!~
I said GET ON BOARD! ;)

Brian_Jones
08-05-2013, 09:28 AM
FA Jashint Maharaj is now IA Jashint Maharaj

Jashint is the Chief Arbiter at the 2013 Oceania Zone Championships in Fiji.

Brian_Jones
08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Cannot upload acrobat Newsletters as they are too big!

So I will try some games!

Kevin Bonham
08-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Berezina and Guo both won again as did Jarek. Jarek now needs 1.5/2 to make the WIM norm requirement (only one available) and now plays Sarah Anton (4) in a game that will be crucial for possible titles.

Narenthran (4) is paired against an unrated opponent and if she wins she goes to 5, and can then meet the WIM requirement if she wins in the last round.

ER
08-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Justin Tan beats IM Gary Lane ... Ari Dale draws with FM Igor Bjelobrk! GO JUSTIN GO ARI!

that Caesar guy
08-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Frank Lekkas 1-0 Karl Zelesco.

Here he comes...

LEKKAS FOR IM GET ON BOARD DAMN IT :D

Garrett
08-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Justin Tan beats IM Gary Lane ... Ari Dale draws with FM Igor Bjelobrk! GO JUSTIN GO ARI!

Yes well done !

Looks like some good young players in the mix (for winning the tourney and/or getting a title).

Kevin Bonham
08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Justin beating Gary Lane ensures that someone will get an IM title as Justin now has 6. Still quite a few in the hunt for it if Justin falters in the last two rounds.

MichaelBaron
08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Frank ''Cheapie'' Lekkas vs. Ari Dale on board 3 :doh: . Chip and Dale :owned:

Tony Dowden
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Justin beating Gary Lane ensures that someone will get an IM title as Justin now has 6. Still quite a few in the hunt for it if Justin falters in the last two rounds.

Does 'quite few' mean several people could get titles like the Zonal back about ten years ago? Or has there been a rule change? (Hmm, is it limited to a total of three titles now?)

Kevin Bonham
08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Does 'quite few' mean several people could get titles like the Zonal back about ten years ago? Or has there been a rule change?

No, there are limits. As well as having to meet the score requirements, there are maximums of one IM and two FMs per zonal tournament (ditto for WIM/WFM). So a player has to not only meet the score requirement but must be among the top three title-seekers to do so (and countback is applied if necessary).

This means that at this stage nobody has secured a title.

Adamski
08-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Congrats to Justin on beating Gary. This shows that if he gets the IM title it will be well deserved. And go HBK! (We share our birthday so a while ago I joined IM James in his fan club.)

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 12:12 PM
As well as having to meet the score requirements, there are maximums of one IM and two FMs per zonal tournament (ditto for WIM/WFM).

These maximums apply to the titles won by score. It is possible as far as I can tell that more than one IM title can be won should players seeking an IM title win the event.

Indeed if three IM-seekers tie for first they all become IMs. I am not sure what happens if three IM-seekers tie for first and another IM seeker gets 6/9, as to whether there could then be four IMs.

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Round 8 is up

Open: http://chess-results.com/tnr98268.aspx?art=2&rd=8&lan=1&wi=821

Women's: http://chess-results.com/tnr98271.aspx?art=2&rd=8&lan=1&wi=821

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Pretty complex!

This is clear: Bjelobrk is an IM if he doesn't lose.

If he wins he gets IM and I think the next-best title-seeker gets IM too but am not sure on that.

If he draws he gets IM as then do Justin or Ari or both if they win. If he draws and Justin and Ari don't both win then there may also be another IM title (again subject to confirmation).

If he loses then either Justin or Ari (or both) get the IM title if they win. If he loses and neither of Justin or Ari wins then there is only one IM title and it goes either to Igor or to someone who ties him and gets over him on countback.

If Igor, Justin and Ari all lose then Igor still gets IM.

Frank and Anton on 5 can hit the IM target if they win (they are playing each other). That might in theory be an IM title if the three title-seekers ahead of them all tie for first, or if some of those ahead of them lose and they get it on tiebreak. And this all depends on whether you can have IMs for first and IMs on score. But it seems rather remote.

FM is of course even messier but 5.5 might do it so all the FM-seekers on 4.5 are in the hunt but needing to win and hanging on other results.

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 01:39 PM
In the women's Katherine is on 5.5 and needs a draw to hit the WIM target while Savithri is on 5 and needs a win, the rest are out of it.

If Katherine wins she gets WIM.

If Katherine draws and Savithri doesn't win, Katherine gets WIM.

If Katherine loses and Savithri wins, Savithri gets WIM.

If Katherine draws and Savithri wins then WIM is determined on countback. If I'm not mistaken Direct Encounter is first and Katherine gets the title.

As well as whoever misses out from Katherine vs Savithri there are a bunch of players on 4 in contention for WFM. However Sukhu and Anton have drawn the short straw because they are playing Berezina and Guo so Vukikomoala and Wijesuriya seem to be in the best position there.

Note that both Vukikomoala and Wijesuriya have played both of the top seeds already.

Kai
09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Pretty complex!

FM is of course even messier but 5.5 might do it so all the FM-seekers on 4.5 are in the hunt but needing to win and hanging on other results.

Thanks for all that, Kevin!

Re FM, am I missing something here? If Justin and Ari are already on 6 (and there is only either Anton or Frank who could match that), then the ones on 4.5. don't have a chance, do they? The two FM titles available could only be determined from those 4 players - is this not right?

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all that, Kevin!

Re FM, am I missing something here? If Justin and Ari are already on 6 (and there is only either Anton or Frank who could match that), then the ones on 4.5. don't have a chance, do they? The two FM titles available could only be determined from those 4 players - is this not right?

I don't think it is right because it is possible that some of the title-seekers will take an IM title for winning the tournament, increasing the number of titles available.

Up to three players can win the IM title together by winning the tournament. ("1st, up to 3 players = title.")

The question then is how this impacts on the availability of the titles that are normally available. There is nothing in the Handbook to say that it does.

Even without assuming a 4th IM title is available in the case of a three-way tie for first, it's still possible you could get a three-way tie for first and someone on 5.5 being the 4th or 5th placed title-seeker.

Another point: even if Darryl wins, then it is possible one of Justin or Ari becomes the IM, the other becomes one of the FMs, and the final FM title is won by someone on 5.5 with Frank and Anton drawing their game. This is possible because Igor is already an FM.

Tony Dowden
09-05-2013, 07:16 PM
No, there are limits. As well as having to meet the score requirements, there are maximums of one IM and two FMs per zonal tournament (ditto for WIM/WFM). So a player has to not only meet the score requirement but must be among the top three title-seekers to do so (and countback is applied if necessary).

This means that at this stage nobody has secured a title.

Thanks Kevin

Tony Dowden
09-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Pretty complex!

This is clear: Bjelobrk is an IM if he doesn't lose.

If he wins he gets IM and I think the next-best title-seeker gets IM too but am not sure on that.

If he draws he gets IM as then do Justin or Ari or both if they win. If he draws and Justin and Ari don't both win then there may also be another IM title (again subject to confirmation).

If he loses then either Justin or Ari (or both) get the IM title if they win. If he loses and neither of Justin or Ari wins then there is only one IM title and it goes either to Igor or to someone who ties him and gets over him on countback.

If Igor, Justin and Ari all lose then Igor still gets IM.

Frank and Anton on 5 can hit the IM target if they win (they are playing each other). That might in theory be an IM title if the three title-seekers ahead of them all tie for first, or if some of those ahead of them lose and they get it on tiebreak. And this all depends on whether you can have IMs for first and IMs on score. But it seems rather remote.

Yes, it's complex! And the unlikely can happen cf. Carlsen and Kramnik both losing in the final round of the Candidates.

I hadn't realised more than one IM title was possible so that's a big surprise.

Adamski
09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Complex stuff as Kev has shown. But congrats to Parra member Katherine Jarek on a great recovery after losing to Irina. I hope she gets the WIM title (after all she is Pokish as is IM Jan Adamski)

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Moderation Notice

Deleted some off topic Parr/Jones related banter and did so from a little further back than was being requested. If anyone wants it back they can PM me a suitable title and I'll move it to a new thread, or maybe move some to the soft titles thread.

If anyone wishes to discuss this they can do so in the help and feedback section and not here.

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 08:15 AM
... congrats to Parra member Katherine Jarek ... she is Pokish ...)

Polish?

Adamski
10-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Polish?
Yes of course. Mobile phone typing errors strike again. I may have to switch to predictive text again though I dislike it. Every time I typed "pse" for please, the beast thought I meant psychedelic for some silly reason!

Back on topic, time for a "Go Gary, Max, Anton and Katherine." NSW reps of course. As is Igor but he does not need my "Go" by the look of it.

Nodice
10-05-2013, 09:49 AM
http://global3.memecdn.com/Go-apple-Go-orange-Go-banana_o_143225.gif

Watto
10-05-2013, 10:12 AM
As is Igor but he does not need my "Go" by the look of it.I'd love to see Igor get the title as he's been pretty much IM standard for some years now, so go Igor! :)

Vlad
10-05-2013, 10:19 AM
After 2 hours, the top 4 boards are still fighting hard.

Board 1: KID is played - any outcome seems to be possible. GM is a bit short on time.
Board 2: Max seems to have some positional advantage unless I am missing some tactics.
Board 3: Karo was played - Gary has some space advantage. Again depends how much tactics Ari can generate.
Boards 4: Anton seemed to neutralize white's opening advantage. It is about equal now. If he will manage to get into some kind of endgame - he will have a very good chance.

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 10:35 AM
After 2 hours, the top 4 boards are still fighting hard.

Board 1: KID is played - any outcome seems to be possible. GM is a bit short on time.
Board 2: Max seems to have some positional advantage unless I am missing some tactics.
Board 3: Karo was played - Gary has some space advantage. Again depends how much tactics Ari can generate.
Boards 4: Anton seemed to neutralize white's opening advantage. It is about equal now. If he will manage to get into some kind of endgame - he will have a very good chance.

Thanks for the up-date Vlad :cool:

Watto
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the up-date Vlad :cool:
Yes, much appreciated!

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I'd love to see Igor get the title as he's been pretty much IM standard for some years now, so go Igor! :)

Agreed, he was terrific for NZ even as far back as the Bled Olympiad in 2002. If Igor can beat/draw with Darryl and win the zonal, the naysayers will probably stay at home.

ER
10-05-2013, 10:42 AM
GO VICTORIANS, tear them apart! :P

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
GO VICTORIANS, tear them apart! :P

Lol, I hadn't noticed it was NSW vs VIC on the top four boards.

I have to say I find the parochialism that's so rife in Australia endearing - I don't understand it for a moment but you have to love it.

Go Queensland!! (Is that how you do it? ;))

Vlad
10-05-2013, 11:01 AM
3 hour update

4 boards are still fighting hard

Board 1: Nothing has changed here other than that Daryal has about 15 minutes for about 17 moves.
Board2: Big changes on this board - Justin has 2 pieces for a rook and a pawn. Max still probably can draw this but it is Justin now who is pushing for a win. He is a bit short on time though.
Board3: Pretty much nothing has changed.
Board4: it is a bit tactical right now but in a few moves it should be resolved. Unless Anton looses some material he should be better.

ER
10-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Go Queensland!! (Is that how you do it? ;))

Either that or more popular recently just:

Queenslander!!!

:lol:

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 11:26 AM
3 hour update

4 boards are still fighting hard

Board 1: Nothing has changed here other than that Darryl has about 15 minutes for about 17 moves.
Board 2: Big changes on this board - Justin has 2 pieces for a rook and a pawn. Max still probably can draw this but it is Justin now who is pushing for a win. He is a bit short on time though.
Board 3: Pretty much nothing has changed.
Board 4: it is a bit tactical right now but in a few moves it should be resolved. Unless Anton loses some material he should be better.

Thanks again Vlad :cool:

Vlad
10-05-2013, 11:33 AM
3.5 hour update - probably final

Board 1: still fighting, equal material, all pawns are pushed to the maximum, about 5-6 pieces each including queens - probably equal and a draw is expected.
Board 2: Justin is clearly winning with 2 pieces against a rook, two pawns each.
Board 3: Gary has just resigned. In a time trouble he sacked his lady for a rook and a bishop but that was clearly not enough.
Board 4: Anton managed to get into a good knight against a bad bishop endgame which should be easily winning.

All in all, it looks like Kevin's scenario is very likely...

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 11:45 AM
... All in all, it looks like Kevin's scenario is very likely...

Is that four IM titles?!

Altecman
10-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Is that four IM titles?!

Are we sure that the interpretation of the Fide handbook is correct? Its possible that 1st = title to a maximum of 3 players is because they only give 1 IM and 2 FM titles.

ER
10-05-2013, 11:53 AM
ARI you are a real champ! I am so so so so PROUD of you! CONGRATULATIONS! Justin is about to win too! So good luck to him as well, YOU ARE BOTH REAL FIGHTERS and I wish you all the best for your studies as well as the GM titles which wait just around the corner!

JUSTIN , come on son get in there!!!! I congratulate you for your fine effort throughout the tournament!

You boys make MCC, NPCC and all the Vic and Aus chess community proud!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I 've gotta run so I won't miss my silly flight to Sydney now! Cheers and good luck to all!

heligan
10-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I'll leave it to others to interpret this!
The Handbook says (for events ending before the end of June 2013):
Zonals and Sub-Zonals

IM: 1st, up to 3 players = title.
≥ 9 games ≥ 66 2/3% = title
≥ 9 games IM Performance counts as 13 games.

Subject to notes b to e, given below:

(b) Where a zonal/subzonal is played with preliminaries and finals, the results shall be pooled.
(c) Subzonals must be approved by the Presidential Board.
(d) For zonals/subzonals only one IM/WIM title can be obtained based on a result ≥66 2/3 percent, only two FM/WFM titles can be obtained based on a result ≥50 percent.
(e) The result must be achieved in consecutive games starting from the first game the player plays in the tournament. If a player achieves ≥ 6 points (3˝ points for CM/WCM), the title is awarded, even if the player does not play 9 games (7 games for CM/WCM) . These titles shall be awarded retrospectively.

Oepty
10-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Are we sure that the interpretation of the Fide handbook is correct? Its possible that 1st = title to a maximum of 3 players is because they only give 1 IM and 2 FM titles.

I am fairly sure it is correct, but cannot be certain. It is FIDE we are dealing with and it can be hard to work out what they mean with anything at times. There have also been incidence of the Handbook being wrong because it has not be updated as well.
I think it is not certain what will happen until we hear whether the titles are approved or not.
However I highly doubt your interpretation because the rule comes from a section dealing with the awarding of the IM title only. The FM requirement is mentioned elsewhere in the tables. But it is FIDE.

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 12:11 PM
This appears to be the key point

(d) For zonals/subzonals only one IM/WIM title can be obtained based on a result ≥66 2/3 percent, only two FM/WFM titles can be obtained based on a result ≥50 percent.

However if title-seekers tie for first then they are not obtaining their title based on a result of a certain score; they are obtaining it based on tying for first. Therefore it would seem that as taken literally they are not counted in the above. But we won't know until they are confirmed. (I might send an enquiry in advance.)

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Women's Zonal is finished: http://chess-results.com/tnr98271.aspx?art=5&lan=1&wi=821

Berezina, Guo tie for first. They will play off again.

Katherine Jarek and Savithri Narenthran tied for third. My understanding is that Katherine is WIM-elect on tiebreak and Savithri is WFM-elect.

Wijesuriya and Vukikomoala tied for the other WFM title.

Congrats to all. I will apply for all direct titles for Australian players once the event has been rated.

Vlad
10-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Final-final update:)

Board 1: both have about 20 minutes each, a queen+3 minor pieces+5 pawns. Igor is pushing very hard, looks like he is playing the game of his life.

Board 2: Justin has less than 8 minutes vs 40 minutes of Max. Justin is desperately trying to push through the castle that Max constructed. There is no obvious win.

Board 4: Anton converted the endgame.

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the updates Vlad; they are great. :clap:

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Well we're making some progress here: we know that Ari Dale has a title. We don't know what it is yet though.

Kai
10-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Well we're making some progress here: we know that Ari Dale has a title. We don't know what it is yet though.

Igor won
Justin drew
Ari won

What is the title situation?

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Congratulations IM-Elect and Zonal Champion Igor Bjelbork!

OK there are now two possible interpretations:

1. The zonal winner taking an IM title does not affect the ability of another person to take an IM title by score:

IM =Igor and Ari, FM = Justin and Anton

2. The zonal winner taking an IM title does affect the ability of another person to take an IM title by score:

IM = Igor, FM=Ari and Justin.

Davidflude
10-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Congratulations IM-Elect and Zonal Champion Igor Bjelbork!

OK there are now two possible interpretations:

1. The zonal winner taking an IM title does not affect the ability of another person to take an IM title by score:

IM =Igor and Ari, FM = Justin and Anton

2. The zonal winner taking an IM title does affect the ability of another person to take an IM title by score:

IM = Igor, FM=Ari and Justin.

Well whatever happens Justin has a FIDE Master title. We will announce this in the club tonight.

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 01:00 PM
It is still all subject to the event being rated and FIDE confirmation of course.

Garrett
10-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Congrats to Igor !

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Igor's TPR is 2508 so easily an IM-strength performance. However but for it being a zonal title it wouldn't be a norm because he did not play enough IMs!

Brian_Jones
10-05-2013, 01:47 PM
IM titles to Igor Bjelobrk and Ari Dale

FM titles to Justin Tan and Anton Smirnov

WIM title to Katherine Jarek

WFM titles to Savithri Narenthran and Hilda Vukikomoala

Various CM and WCM titles

Women's playoff starts in 10 minutes!

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 01:53 PM
OK, the Zonal website lists the following tiebreaks:

In the case of a tie between two players for first place, a playoff match will be required to decide the title of Zonal Champion and the qualifying place for the 2013 World Cup.

The playoff match will begin at 4.00 pm on the day of the final round.

The format will be:

2 games, 25m+10s per move (draw for colours).
If still tied: 2 games, 10m+10s per move (draw for colours)
If still tied then: 2 games, 5m+3s per move (draw for colours)
If still tied: 1 game, 5m for White, 4 m for Black, 3s inc from move 61, Drawn game is a win for Black. (As per World Cup 2013 tie-break regulations D.1.04.3.8 FIDE Handbook).

In the case of more than 2 players tied for first then the Zonal Champion Title and qualifying place for the 2013 World Cup will be decided by the following Tie-Breaks:

In the case of all players playing rated opponents:

Highest Sum of opponents ratings (removing the lowest rated opponent)
If still tied - continue removing the next lowest rated opponent until the tie is broken.

In the case of players playing unrated opponents:

Sum of progressive scores highest wins)
If still tied - remove the first round (and second, third etc rounds) until the tie is broken. (As per FIDE World Championship Provisions D.1.01.5.1).

For other place-getters:

Direct encounter (result between tied players)
Sum of Progressive Score
Solkoff Score (Sum of Opponents Score)
15-Minute Rapid Game

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 02:12 PM
On my reading a very large number of CM titles may be available.

The ACF does not pay for CM or WCM. AUS players earning these titles will need to pay for them (50 Euro) if they want us to apply. Given the number of possible applicants I may advertise a process for this in the next ACF Newsletter.

IM/WIM/FM/WFM Australian winners do not need to do anything at this stage; we will apply.

Kevin Bonham
ACF FIDE Admin Officer

Adamski
10-05-2013, 02:29 PM

Big congratulations to all title winners! Well done especially, Igor and Ari! :clap:

MichaelBaron
10-05-2013, 02:42 PM
That means more more tournaments with IM norms :)

Tony Dowden
10-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Congratulations to all concerned! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Scott Crowley
10-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Wonderful news and congrats to all who participated and an extra :clap: for those getting titles.

Does this make Anton Australias youngest FM ?

Brian_Jones
10-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Berezina wins playoff 2-0

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Berezina wins playoff 2-0

Congratulations to Irina! Emma has had stellar performances in recent times and is a much more difficult opponent than when Irina also beat her in a (full-length) playoff last time around.

ER
10-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Wonderful news and congrats to all who participated and an extra :clap: for those getting titles.

Does this make Anton Australias youngest FM ?

Ditto! :clap: :clap:

Does that make Ari Australia's youngest IM?

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Does that make Ari Australia's youngest IM?

You'd need to get out the tape for that one, assuming that the title is awarded. David Smerdon born 1984 title 1999 Ari Dale born 1998 title (if awarded) 2013.

I would assume Anton will be the youngest FM if it's awarded; can't think who else it would be.

jammo
10-05-2013, 07:31 PM
You'd need to get out the tape for that one, assuming that the title is awarded. David Smerdon born 1984 title 1999 Ari Dale born 1998 title (if awarded) 2013.

I would assume Anton will be the youngest FM if it's awarded; can't think who else it would be.

And Zhao.....?

jammo
10-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Now that this exciting event is over when and where may we see the games? Let's hope they appear faster than the Doeberl or SIO.

Kai
10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Ari Dale born 1998 title (if awarded) 2013.

I would assume Anton will be the youngest FM if it's awarded;

Why "if awarded"? I thought it was confirmed by Brian (and think it was in the closing ceremony)?

Bollard
10-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Why "if awarded"? I thought it was confirmed by Brian (and think it was in the closing ceremony)?

Titles are awarded by FIDE, not Brian.

Lekko
10-05-2013, 09:28 PM
From what I understand, they "recommend" the players for titles, and then FIDE deliberate on it.

Kai
10-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Titles are awarded by FIDE, not Brian.

I assumed (maybe mistakenly) that the announcement here by Brian (and I believe also in the closing ceremony) was made in some form of official FIDE capacity.

Brian, is post #164 just your own view, and represents what you will be querying with FIDE - or was the post the result of clarification from FIDE - and therefore you announced it in your capacity as an official / arbiter / organiser?

So: is it actually still uncertain if FIDE will endorse interpretation (1) or interpretation (2) in Kevin's post #159?

I would think the precise status needs to be clarified at this stage before all the congratulatory messages are rendered premature :confused:

Thanks.

peter_parr
10-05-2013, 11:14 PM
The FIDE Handbook D (02) gives the regulations required for Zonal tournaments.

par 12.1 states " Not later than one week after the end of the zonal tournament the President of the zone shall report the results to the FIDE General Secretariat".

Based on past experience it often takes some time before FIDE checks that its requirements for the event have been satisfactorily met and officially anounces titles from zonals.

Mischa
10-05-2013, 11:43 PM
That means more more tournaments with IM norms :)

AWSOME IGOR
YOU REALLY DESERVE THIS WELL WELL WELL DONE

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2013, 01:13 AM
And Zhao.....?

Yes Zhao was an IM at 14 so may have been the youngest depending on the dates.

Vlad
11-05-2013, 02:42 AM
Yes Zhao was an IM at 14 so may have been the youngest depending on the dates.

Well, in the zonal in 1999 everybody on 4.5 and above was awarded an FM title.
Yuan Zhao was about 12 years and 8 months and did not have a rating then. 12 months later Yuan had a rating of 2245.

Anton is 12 years and 3 months now and has a live rating of 2291. So I guess we are really comparing a ZFM and an FM.:)

Capablanca-Fan
11-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Igor's TPR is 2508 so easily an IM-strength performance. However but for it being a zonal title it wouldn't be a norm because he did not play enough IMs!
It's hard to begrudge a title award at a zonal as long as the performance equals or exceeds the normal norm requirement. IB's clearly does. Anton's actual rating is not far short of FM level too (this title is normally awarded for live rating of 2300 not norms).

Kai
11-05-2013, 07:59 AM
It's hard to begrudge a title award at a zonal as long as the performance equals or exceeds the normal norm requirement.

Indeed. That is the reservation often expressed regarding these zonal titles.

IB's clearly does. Anton's actual rating is not far short of FM level too (this title is normally awarded for live rating of 2300 not norms).

Justin's live rating during the tournament and possibly his published rating in June should have crossed 2300 too. (It's difficult to be certain because of all the FIDE Australian tournament registration delays).

So, for Igor, Justin and Anton, there is no doubt that they are , or are close to, the required standard represented by their respective zonal titles.

StokesyRedcliff
11-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Well done everyone! Now fly home in time to play the inaugural Wilde Weekender Open Chess Tournament on Sat May18 and Sun May 19 in Brisbane!

This is the only ACF GRAND PRIX event in the month of May in Australia!

To enter ring or text Mark Stokes on 0431419136 or email him at markcstokes@hotmail.com.

MichaelBaron
11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
With all due disrespect to the Zonal titles - they are earned! So players did make an effort to achieve them! 3 of the 4 title recipients are still kids - that means they will keep improving and get there soon. I think both Anton and Justin will be 2400 in a year!

Talon
11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Just back from the Fiji Zonal - it was a great tournament! Very well run, enjoyable on and off the board, the Fijians were excellent hosts. Many thanks to the organizers, arbiters, and our Fijian chess colleagues :clap:

Watto
12-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Just back from the Fiji Zonal - it was a great tournament! Very well run, enjoyable on and off the board, the Fijians were excellent hosts. Many thanks to the organizers, arbiters, and our Fijian chess colleagues :clap:
Looked beautiful. Good to hear that it lived up to expectations. Congratulations to all those who brought back loot (especially Ari, Justin, Anton and Katherine), and above all Igor (congratulations on the IM title :)) and Irina for winning their sections. Best of luck at the World Cup. :clap:

Vlad
12-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I think what is amazing is that under 16 team now is the most titled ever, it has 2 IMs ans 2 FMs. The average rating of the first 4 boards is expected to be around 2320. If this team played in the field that was present last year, it would be ranked second after mighty Russia.

The best four expected to be on the first of June are 2425, 2313, 2291 and 2252. That makes 2320 on average.

The best four last year were 2358, 2221, 2188 and 2140. That made 2227 on average, almost 100 points less than this year.

For comparison, the Australian team that came equal third in 2007 was 2295, 2194, 2174 and 2166, which on average was 2207.

Kai
12-05-2013, 10:20 AM
The best four expected to be on the first of June are 2425, 2313, 2291 and 2252. That makes 2320 on average.

Hi Vlad, I assume the 2313 refers to Justin - actually, I don't think it will be that high (though that would be nice :) ). It is due to be over 2300 (we think) but by a point or two maybe. I suspect you may have calculated one of his losses as a win instead :)

Still, amazing stats - and the best chance ever for our Aussie youngsters!

peter_parr
12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
The last Oceania Zonals finished on 31 January 2011.

FIDE announced the titles awarded in late May 2011.

Ian_Rogers
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
The likely June ratings referred to by Vladimir are for the 2013 Youth Olympiad team as selected - Bobby Cheng, Anton Smirnov, Justin Tan and Ari Dale, (with the fifth selected player being Yi Liu). There will be another rating list before the Youth Olympiad, giving a chance for the Youth Olympiad players to pick up extra points at events like the NSW and Victorian Open.

Incidentally, the 2007 Youth Olympiad team (which included Moulthun, Junta and Max) finished fifth, not third - still our best result to date.

Brian_Jones
12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Now that this exciting event is over when and where may we see the games? Let's hope they appear faster than the Doeberl or SIO.

Games from the 2013 Oceania Open and Women's Zone Championships can be found on the Oceania Chess Confederation (OCC) website at www.oceaniachess.com

Click on Events and Fiji.

peter_parr
13-05-2013, 11:58 AM
The following article was published in the 41st year of my chess column in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday 13 May 2013.

Australia dominated the Oceania (seven countries) World Championship Zonal tournaments which took place last week at Sonaisali Island Resort , Fiji. Igor Bjelobrk of Sydney took the sole lead with 4/4 after defeating NSW Champion Max Illingworth. Justin Tan of Melbourne beat the leader in round five and was ahead with 6/7. The top seed GM Darryl Johansen of Melbourne beat Tan in round 8 and Bjelobrk outplayed Johansen , the Australian Champion and won in an exciting last round.

Leading final scores open (9 rounds, 38 players):- FM I.Bjelobrk (AUS 2329) 7.5 - 1st prize $ 1100 ; A.Dale (AUS 2222) 7; J.Tan (AUS 2249) 6.5 ; GM D.Johansen (AUS 2430), IM M.Illingworth (AUS 2423), A.Smirnov (AUS 2194) 6. Anton Smirnov aged 12 yrs and 3 months now has a calculated live rating of 2291. Women (9 rounds, 14 players) :- IM I.Berezina (AUS 2191),WIM E.Guo (AUS 2092) 8 ; K.Jarek (AUS 1940), S.Narenthran (AUS 1765) 6. Irina Berezina beat Emma Guo 2-0 in the rapid play-off match.

Vlad
13-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Vlad, I assume the 2313 refers to Justin - actually, I don't think it will be that high (though that would be nice :) ).

Well, I added everything what was easily available - Doerbel, SIO and the zonal - and got 2287. Then Wendy mentioned that Justin is due 25 points from some local competition. I guess i misunderstood something. :(

Kai
13-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Well, I added everything what was easily available - Doerbel, SIO and the zonal - and got 2287. Then Wendy mentioned that Justin is due 25 points from some local competition. I guess i misunderstood something. :(

I have learned not to rely on Wendy when it comes to numbers....she even gets her thousands and millions confused...:lol:

Brian_Jones
15-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Tournaments now submitted to FIDE for rating.

Open Event http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_details.phtml?event=79807

Women's Event http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_details.phtml?event=79808

Brian_Jones
16-05-2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/7057-results-of-2013-oceania-zone-championships.html

Keong Ang
16-05-2013, 01:34 PM
http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/7057-results-of-2013-oceania-zone-championships.html
Has FIDE confirmed the Open titles?
They read like an IM when should be FM and a FM when should be CM.

Are there any other sub-zonals where 2 IMs were awarded, 1 for obtaining 1st place and 1 for performance? With the FM then being bumped down.
Always thought that there are only 1 IM and 2 FM direct titles available at Oceania. The direct IM on performance being awarded on the assumption that 1st place would be won by someone who already is an IM or higher.

Would be better to be more conservative when announcing titles (while liberally applying for them) and be pleasantly surprised when more are awarded.

Vlad
16-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Would be better to be more conservative when announcing titles (while liberally applying for them) and be pleasantly surprised when more are awarded.

I do agree with your concern and that was actually the point a few people raised. Luckily, in this case neither Dales nor Smirnovs would be too disappointed if the titles did not eventuate.:)

At the end of the day it is temporarily; I think it is safe to say that in 2-3 years both Ari and Anton should be at least IMs.

peter_parr
16-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Leading final scores in the Gold Coast Zonal 2001

IM Gluzman and FM Chapman 7/9
IM Sandler and FM Rujevic 6/9

FIDE awarded one IM title to Chapman. Rujevic remained FM.

Agent Smith
19-05-2013, 03:13 PM
PS. Emma was winning second play off game & only lost on time, other results were v close & things could've ended very differently.
It hurts to lose on time when you have a strong winning line. :eh:

[Event "Oceania Women 2013"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2013.05.10"]
[Round "10.2"]
[White "Guo, Emma"]
[Black "Berezina, Irina"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "2092"]
[BlackElo "2191"]
[ECO "A00"]
[EventDate "2013.05.??"]
[PlyCount "97"]
[EventType "swiss"]
[EventRounds "9"]
[SourceDate "2013.05.05"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.h3 O-O 6.Bg5 c6 7.Bd3 Nbd7 8.Nge2 e5
9.d5 Nc5 10.Bc2 a5 11.O-O h6 12.Be3 cxd5 13.cxd5 Na6 14.a3 Nd7 15.Qd2 Kh7
16.Nb5 Nf6 17.Nec3 Nh5 18.Bd1 Nc5 19.Bxh5 gxh5 20.Qe2 Nb3 21.Rad1 Ra6 22.
Qc4 Nd4 23.Nxd4 exd4 24.Bxd4 Rg8 25.Bxg7 Rxg7 26.Qd3 Qg5 27.Qf3 Rb6 28.Rb1
Rb3 29.Rfe1 Bd7 30.Re3 b5 31.Nd1 Rxe3 32.Nxe3 Qe5 33.Rc1 f6 34.Rc7 Kh8 35.
Rc3 Kh7 36.Nf1 Qg5 37.Ng3 h4 38.Nh5 Rf7 39.Rc7 Kh8 40.Rc3 f5 41.Re3 Kg8
42.e5 dxe5 43.Rxe5 Qc1+ 44.Kh2 Qxb2 45.Qe3 b4 46.axb4 axb4 47.Re7 Qc3 48.
Qe2 b3 49.Rxf7
( 49.Rxd7 Qc8 50.Qe6 Qxd7 51.Nf6+ Kg7 52.Nxd7 f4 53.Ne5 Rb7 54.d6 f3 55.d7 Rxd7 56.Qxd7+ )
0-1

Kevin Bonham
03-06-2013, 02:06 AM
I am just writing to FIDE about the direct titles business and it occurs to me that the interpretation that could easily be taken is that Igor Bjelobrk has qualified for the IM title both by winning the event and by being the top scoring player with 6/9 or over, and therefore there is only one IM title available.

A notice about applying for CM titles will appear in the next ACF Newsletter due out on June 12th. There has been some speculation about backdated claims for CM titles from previous Zonals but I can advise that those from 2007 and before are not valid. I am enquiring about 2009 and 2011.

peter_parr
03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
The Oceania Chess Championship Wikipedia linked to the Oceania Chess Confederation web page states as follows :

" In these years, the title of International Master (IM) is awarded to the winner of the Oceania Zone Championship event, or the highest scoring non - IM who has scored at least 6/9, as per the FIDE title regulations ".

Kevin Bonham
07-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Answer from FIDE is that multiple IM titles are possible if a player earns the IM title by winning the event. So subject to confirmation that the event is title-worthy I'm expecting we'll be offered the better of the two lists of title winners previously canvassed.

Have put up a separate thread re the CM hordes.

Kevin Bonham
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
The following title awards to Australian players have been confirmed by FIDE:

IM:
Igor Bjelobrk (ID #4300726)
Ari Dale (ID # 3213145)

FM:
Anton Smirnov (ID # 3208923)

CM:
Blair Mandla (ID # 3207170) - paid
Karl Zelesco (ID # 3213390)
Frank Lekkas (ID # 3212629) - not claiming title
Jeffery Plew (ID # 3214036) - paid
Oscar Wang (ID # 3200361) - paid
Jonas Muller (ID # 3204960) - paid
Alek Safarian (ID # 3202135)
Ilija Ilic (ID # 3202364)
Francesco Antoniazzi (ID # 3206130) - paid
Bill Egan (ID # 3207870) - paid
Leon Kempen (ID # 3203786) - paid
Jack Puccini (ID # 3213307) - paid
Gary Bekker (ID # 3203972) - paid

WIM:
Katherine Jarek (ID # 3221318)

WFM:
Savithri Narenthran (ID # 3213250)

WCM:
Sarah Anton (ID # 3207102) -paid

I have claimed all the IM, WIM, FM and WFM titles and the recipients do not need to do anything.

CM winners - those who have already contacted me will be emailed. The rest should email me at k_bonham@tassie.net.au immediately if they want the title, and be in a position to pay the ACF for it by automatic fund transfer within 7 days to claim it at the current rate ($74). Those who email me will be sent instructions.

Those shown in bold have already contacted me.

Vlad
12-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Anton's live rating crossed 2300 tonight.:)

Congratulations to all the recipients. Australian under 16 team is the most titled ever...:)

Lekko
12-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I won't be claiming the title Kevin.

Adamski
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Anton's live rating crossed 2300 tonight.:)

Congratulations to all the recipients. Australian under 16 team is the most titled ever...:)
Superb, Anton! :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
12-06-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm updating #208 as I receive advice that people are claiming or have paid or don't want the title. (Thanks Lekko for letting me know).

ER
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I won't be claiming the title Kevin.

good decision! finish your studies first have a bit of a break from swimming and then go for the biggy! and I mean the friggin biggy!!!

peter_parr
17-06-2013, 12:04 PM
The following article was published in the 41st year of my chess column in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday 17th June 2013.

FIDE has announced the following titles to Australian players at the Fiji Zonals :- IM - I.Bjelobrk 2340, A.Dale 2266 ; WIM K.Jarek 1975 ; WFM S.Narenthran 1781 ; FM A.Smirnov 2292. J.Tan is also an FM by his new rating of 2301. Australia now has 4 grandmasters,25 International Masters,42 FIDE masters and 2 active players rated above the IM norm of 2450.

Kevin Bonham
20-06-2013, 03:51 PM
I have just emailed FIDE accepting the nine CM titles shown in bold in #208. They will probably take a few days to reply confirming them.

Vlad
20-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Ilija Ilic (ID # 3202364) told me that he is interested but I do not think he reads this board.

Kevin Bonham
20-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Ilija Ilic (ID # 3202364) told me that he is interested but I do not think he reads this board.

Sounds like he doesn't read his email Newsletter either, or isn't subscribed.

For anyone who still wants one and hasn't contacted me yet: if they contact me quickly (email k_bonham@tassie.net.au (the space between the k and b is an underscore, _ )or ph 0421 428 775) and are in a position to arrange quick payment to the ACF (either by bank transfer or by arranging something else with Norm Greenwood) then I may be able to get theirs processed at the bulk rate of $74 or at least something not much more than that. No guarantees as the $AUS is on a slide.

After that I can still process them at any time but if they have to be processed singly after we've been billed for and paid for the current lot, the rate is likely to be slightly over $100.

Kevin Bonham
22-06-2013, 02:48 PM
The nine CM titles previously claimed have been awarded and the WCM title for Sarah Anton has been claimed.

Tony Dowden
02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Aren't CM titles available to anyone who has exceeded FIDE 2200? And what about scoring 50% in an Olympiad? Isn't this the same deal? (I've tried googling without much luck).

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Aren't CM titles available to anyone who has exceeded FIDE 2200? And what about scoring 50% in an Olympiad? Isn't this the same deal? (I've tried googling without much luck).

If what FIDE announced about expiry of old title claims is correct then any norm recorded pre mid-2005, and any (FM/WFM/CM/WCM) title claim resting on a rating or Olympiad result claim prior to mid-05, has just expired (yesterday). So if anyone wants to claim one of those I would suggest contacting your federation's appropriate person ASAP in case FIDE allow a bit of an extension (about which I haven't heard anything yet.) (Tony: you're registered to NZL so your case that would be NZCF).

On my understanding claims for CM titles arising from Olympiads before the title of CM was introduced would not be valid (they are certainly not in the case of Zonals). Rating-based claims are a different story, if FIDE is still willing to accept them.

Knowing the way FIDE usually works, I'm surprised they declared a cutoff instead of just introducing a Late Fee of 250 euro!

Tony Dowden
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks Kevin :)