PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it

ClintonL
01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, looking to get back into chess. Quick background but i'm 18 at the moment but when i was around 11-12 i used to do very well in quite a few tournaments and usually played respectably against state champs and the national champ of my age. Anyway i used to have a decent attacking game but as i had to vs stronger players i had to be more defensive until my game was entirely defensive which by nature i was horrible at. After primary school and at about 13 i just completely stopped playing. Anyway fast forward to now and have played for a few weeks online etc and at the moment i just play a horrible defensive game and can't really attack anymore.

I've played quite a bit in the last couple weeks but not seeming to improve at all. Anyone know any material online i can lookup or anyone want to have a quick couple games with me and let me know what my problem is. (i REALLY REALLY suck now so keep that in mind)..

Cheers

Desmond
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Maybe you could post the PGN notation of a couple of your games here and get some tips that way.

Adamski
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
There are a few threads on this board under the Coaching forum that could assist. E.g suggestions of good books.

Trent Parker
04-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Chess.com has just recently updated and now boasts an interesting chess course of chess mentor/ articles to study for improvement.

Adamski
25-04-2012, 08:17 AM
chess.com is actually a pretty good site to play on too.

Capablanca-Fan
25-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Maybe you could post the PGN notation of a couple of your games here and get some tips that way.
Very good idea. Of course, when I saw the thread title, I thought you were in your 40s or over ;) It's actually quite normal to start off as a wild attacker, then find that these attacks don't work against stronger opponents.

It would be good to play through well-annotated games of the great players.