PDA

View Full Version : Win XP S2

arosar
08-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Should I install or not? What's the recommendation from some of youse techie experts.

And no smart alec responses that I should switch to some fancy OS like Linux or whatever.

Thanks boys!

AR

skip to my lou
08-10-2004, 04:39 PM
If you use a lot of wireless or networking, then don't install it yet. It's still quite buggy.

shaun
08-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Should I install or not? What's the recommendation from some of youse techie experts.

And no smart alec responses that I should switch to some fancy OS like Linux or whatever.

Thanks boys!

AR

I think you should switch to ....
Oh never mind.

arosar
08-10-2004, 04:49 PM
I think you should switch to ....
Oh never mind.

Oh for God's sake what??

It's just that I'm not very techie so switching to some other OS will end up being more hard work and frightening for me, you see.

AR

skip to my lou
08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
It's not hard at all.

Rincewind
08-10-2004, 06:05 PM

Thanks boys!

I upgraded without too many probs at all. I don't use wireless and only have basic networking running on the desktop. Only problem was firewall came on as it didn't seem to recognise Sygate. Once I set that to off and don't monitor it was fine. No problems with it recognising avast anti-virus.

Recherché
09-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Service Pack 2 installed fine for me, and I've had no problems with it so far. In fact, it fixed a previous problem I had with dialup connections failing to properly terminate.

If it's just a generic home PC I doubt you'll have any troubles, but if, for instance, it's a laptop which you use to connect to a network at work (or university, if you're studying), then it's worth asking the opinion of the relevant tech people, they'll more than likely have been testing it out with their system.

It's not hard at all.

On the contrary, changing operating systems (and then using a new one) is very difficult for the average computer user.

The average computer user is not "computer literate".

Computers are in many ways harder to come to grips with than driving a car, and yet most people who use them have had very little in the way of formal training, study or lessons.

It's not hard for you, nor is it hard for me, or for anyone in our generation who grew up with computers and a strong to moderate interest in them. But that doesn't mean it's not, objectively, something complex and difficult.

skip to my lou
09-10-2004, 03:04 PM
People are afraid of "breaking" things. If they overcome that fear, I believe it's quite enjoyable.

Recherché
09-10-2004, 03:52 PM
People are afraid of "breaking" things. If they overcome that fear, I believe it's quite enjoyable.

Yes, this is very true.

Though I'm not sure there's enjoyment for everyone in the pure discovery of learning something new just for the sake of it.

The problem with describing things is easy is that I think it encourages the attitude that good computer skills are something that are just automatically aquired; for most people this isn't the case, and I think a lot of people get discouraged from exploring technology and building their skills because they don't go into it in the first place with the right approach.

auriga
12-10-2004, 02:40 AM

Thanks boys!

AR

i think sp2 is definitely worth downloading.
i've burnt to disk (180mb or so) and have installed it on all the winxp
machines i know.

it rolls up all the patches for xp to date
and fixes up all the security bugs and warns you if you're not running
virus, spyware, firewall programs, etc.

the wireless stuff also works much better ie. older wireless cards i had actually work now when they failed before.
in short, i've not had any reason to roll back after installing.

Spiny Norman
12-10-2004, 06:46 AM

I'm responsible for around 80 PCs/Servers at my work. We recently started rolling out Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Only problem we've seen thus far is that it turns on Windows Firewall by default for all the network connections. Since we have a full-on firewall at our network boundary we don't really need it internally as well (not in our company anyway) so we just turn it off and all is well. With it left on we found that some users couldn't print to their regular printer because the firewall was blocking the printer's responses coming back to the driver.

So I'd say "go ahead" and good luck! Using it at home for example, you'd leave the firewall on to help protect your PC when you go online...