PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of Folly

antichrist
10-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Where do you get your intellectualism on a Friday morn when everyone is in holiday mood?

This is where you get it
-------------------------------------------------------

from Wiki (or get first hand narration from KB)

In Praise of Folly (Greek title: Morias Enkomion (Μωρίας Εγκώμιον), Latin: Stultitiae Laus, sometimes translated as In Praise of More, Dutch title: Lof der Zotheid) is an essay written in 1509 by Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam and first printed in 1511. The essay was inspired by De Triumpho Stultitiae, written by the Italian humanist Faustino Perisauli, born at Tredozio, near Forlė.

In Praise of Folly is considered one of the most notable works of the Renaissance and one of the catalysts of the Protestant Reformation.
It starts off with a satirical learned encomium after the manner of the Greek satirist Lucian, whose work Erasmus and Sir Thomas More had recently translated into Latin, a piece of virtuoso foolery; it then takes a darker tone in a series of orations, as Folly praises self-deception and madness and moves to a satirical examination of pious but superstitious abuses of Catholic doctrine and corrupt practices in parts of the Roman Catholic Church—to which Erasmus was ever faithful—and the folly of pedants (including Erasmus himself).................................

The essay is filled with classical allusions delivered in a style typical of the learned humanists of the Renaissance. Folly parades as a goddess, offspring of Plutus, the god of wealth and a nymph, Freshness. She was nursed by two other nymphs Inebriation and Ignorance, her faithful companions include Philautia (self-love), Kolakia (flattery), Lethe (oblivion), Misoponia (laziness), Hedone (pleasure), Anoia (madness), Tryphe (wantonness) and two gods Komos (intemperance) and Eegretos Hypnos (dead sleep). Folly praises herself endlessly, arguing that life would be dull and distasteful without her. Of earthly existence, Folly pompously states, "you'll find nothing frolic or fortunate that it owes not to me."
Moriae Encomium was hugely popular, to Erasmus' astonishment and sometimes his dismay. Leo X thought it was funny.\...................(this is edited version only - full version on wiki)

Hobbes
10-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Folly praises herself endlessly, arguing that life would be dull and distasteful without her.

Who does this remind me of? :hmm:

antichrist
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Who does this remind me of? :hmm:

of all the juicy parts that is all you hone in on.

The part that more reminds me of someone is: Moriae Encomium was hugely popular, to Erasmus' astonishment and sometimes his dismay Leo X thought it was funny. - the hide of a rhino that Pope, trying to think of a modern day equivalent?

antichrist
14-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Slippery Pete, as House Speaker, is what reminds me of In Praise of Folly

Redmond Barry
14-02-2012, 03:00 PM
eddie murphy reminds me of "in praise of foley"

littlesprout85
14-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Lets see here,

first thang that came into sprouts mind was the word nymph: a freshly hatched out cockroach :0-lol but then again this is ac thread :doh:

-Sprout85 =)

antichrist
19-02-2012, 12:46 AM
"In the West Bank a group calling itself the Lions of Monotheism fire bombed four churches, telling the Associated Press the attacks were carried out to protest the Pope's remarks linking Islam and violence. The irony of the statement, and this is often the case we find, was lost on them." --Jon Stewart

"Muslims all over the world are rioting because they are upset with the Pope. Again, I don't think President Bush understands these issues. Like today, he said, 'These Muslims, why can't they ask themselves what would Jesus do?'" --Jay Leno

"It's hard to say you're sorry, especially when you're infallible. But by last weekend, Benedict offered these words of apology. He's sorry that people felt bad. That's known in Vatican terminology as a 'me-a-kinda.' It's a time-honored tradition in the Catholic Church dating back to the Inquisition when Pope Innocent IV said, 'We deeply regret the fact that so many non-believers happen to be flammable'." --Jon Stewart

antichrist
12-08-2013, 07:42 AM
now this guy got all hung up on the stupid concept of Martians with intelligence, so he help persuade NASA etc. to go looking for them, which subsequently resulted in billions of dollars wasted on very stupid projects that are continuing to this day.

After decades all that money has only confirmed the stupidity of someone on Earth and those who fell for it.

All the world's problems that money could have been better spent on, yet Billingham will be praised to the heavens above - without mentioning the folly where he led the world and science

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Now if he had been specifically obsessed with looking for intelligent Martians you may have a point.

As it is looking for intelligent life in outer space is far more likely to be productive than looking for it within your posts. :hand:

antichrist
13-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Baby cannot be named Messiah, judge rules
," Judge Lu Ann Ballew said in the ruling last week, according to the newspaper The Tennessean.
"
A judge in the southern US state of Tennessee has ordered parents who named their son Messiah to change it.
The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ
The parents of the seven-month-old boy had gone to court because they could not decide what the child's last name would be — the father's or the mother's.
The judge ordered that the child go by the last names of both, and along the way surprised everyone by ordering the first name be changed as well — to Martin.
The mother, Jaleesa Martin, is appealing. She said she and the father had not named the baby Messiah for religious reasons but rather because they liked the way it sounded.
The judge said it was the first time she ordered a name change.
Ballew said this was better for the boy because the name Messiah might offend people in a county with many Christians.
"It could put him at odds with a lot of people," the judge said, according to the newspaper.
--------------------------------------------

I dont think this judge would be patient with trolls

Desmond
13-08-2013, 07:51 AM
The judge ordered that the child go by the last names of both, and along the way surprised everyone by ordering the first name be changed as well — to Martin.Judge should have used the hillbilly name generator (http://www.blogthings.com/hillbillynamegenerator/)
Messiah = Billy Bob
Martin = Big Hoss

antichrist
17-08-2013, 01:37 AM
what about our Pope lawn mowers? And wasn't there a poet called Alexander Pope? And a Pope Alexander as well - well how about that