PDA

View Full Version : Mt Buller junior Australian Championships

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mischa
06-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Much news and views on everything but the all important Australian Junior Tournament. Anyone interested in discussing those involved in the future of Australian chess?

Mischa
06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Or in discussing the appalling spelling that people have these days?

ursogr8
06-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Much news and views on everything but the all important Australian Junior Tournament. Anyone interested in discussing those involved in the future of Australian chess?

Mrs noidea

Last Tuesday night some Box Hill Juniors asked if I knew the names of any local adults who would be attending the AJT. I am guessing, since you started this thread, that you may be a candidate.
See me on Friday and I will pass on names and you may be able to form a team.

regards
starter

Garvinator
07-10-2004, 12:47 AM
are these questions referring to mt buller or a completely different tournament/sets of tournaments?

ursogr8
07-10-2004, 08:11 AM
are these questions referring to mt buller or a completely different tournament/sets of tournaments?

gg''

I took it to be Mt B.

Mrs noidea had that in the title of post #1.

(Although the situation got a little confused in post #2 where she complained about poor spellers; and the title of post#1 itself had a spelling error; perhaps introspection?)

starter

klyall
07-10-2004, 10:51 PM
I found the website unhelpful. I couldn't even find the dates of the tournament.

Mischa
07-10-2004, 10:55 PM
O.K, O.K,
So I slipped on the keyboard..if we can all get over that now...I know I can.
Yes I was trying to get a thread going on the Mt. Bulla Australian Junior Tournament. I have tried to find any information I can on the "website" and have found none...on application I was told to refer to the "site" but there is no mention of this tournament. So I thought I would start a thread for the sharing of information and news and gossip re the same. No one else seems that interested, but there are parents out there who need to know.

Mischa
07-10-2004, 10:59 PM
I found the website unhelpful. I couldn't even find the dates of the tournament.
Dear Klyall
I'm not surprised..the juniors, although subsidising the adults...don't seem to rate a mention.

Mischa
07-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Mrs noidea

Last Tuesday night some Box Hill Juniors asked if I knew the names of any local adults who would be attending the AJT. I am guessing, since you started this thread, that you may be a candidate.
See me on Friday and I will pass on names and you may be able to form a team.

regards
starter
Just what are you suggesting Starter my friend?

Garvinator
08-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Dear Klyall
I'm not surprised..the juniors, although subsidising the adults...don't seem to rate a mention.
the juniors are not subsidising the adults in any way shape or form. with all due respect, there are many threads on mt buller in the mt buller chess section, which we are in. I would start with mt buller announcement thread.

Garvinator
08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
O.K, O.K,
So I slipped on the keyboard..if we can all get over that now...I know I can.
Yes I was trying to get a thread going on the Mt. Bulla Australian Junior Tournament. I have tried to find any information I can on the "website" and have found none...on application I was told to refer to the "site" but there is no mention of this tournament. So I thought I would start a thread for the sharing of information and news and gossip re the same. No one else seems that interested, but there are parents out there who need to know.
What were you trying to find on the www.mtbullerchess.com website? If you were looking for entry forms and associated documents, they are in the documents section.

If you were looking for the main contact ppl's email address, they are in the contact section.

arosar
08-10-2004, 07:55 AM
the juniors are not subsidising the adults in any way shape or form...

A lot of people think the juniors are actually. . .

Have we not already established this? I think noidea is on to something here.

AR

Garvinator
08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
A lot of people think the juniors are actually. . .

Have we not already established this? I think noidea is on to something here.

AR
and the blame for this should be levelled at a certain former poster who got the red card treatment :hand:

Libby
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
What were you trying to find on the www.mtbullerchess.com website? If you were looking for entry forms and associated documents, they are in the documents section.

If you were looking for the main contact ppl's email address, they are in the contact section.

I hope I am not going to cop another bollocking for making an observation but I don't think it is that easy to find the info on the website that noidea refers to. Yes, I've been to the site but important details like dates, entry fees, rest days etc etc are all buried in a word document. I'd like to see some of that basic detail summarised on the site itself so I'm not scrolling through a big, long document (in an awkward script) to find things. Info about the juniors is sought by parents with "no idea" so it would be very user-friendly to click on an Aus Jnr icon and be taken to a page with all the basic detail summarised and then a link to the full document for detail. :cool:

Libby

PS Anyone looking for info about the Juniors is welcome to drop me an email. No, I am not an organiser. No, I do not plan to undermine anyone who is, or upset any sponsors. In the ACT we already have 35 players who have organised their transport (in various forms), booked accommodation (in a mix of venues including the MERCURE GRAND CHALET) and have looked at recreation and entertainment options. I'm happy to share what we already know. :)

arosar
08-10-2004, 06:00 PM
. . . it would be very user-friendly to click on an Aus Jnr icon and be taken to a page with all the basic detail summarised and then a link to the full document for detail. :cool:

That's a very valid suggestion. Besides, wouldn't you want to minimise the chance of kids accidentally hitting upon the page that encourages alcoholic consumption?

AR

Libby
08-10-2004, 06:11 PM
the juniors are not subsidising the adults in any way shape or form. with all due respect, there are many threads on mt buller in the mt buller chess section, which we are in. I would start with mt buller announcement thread.

Can I also suggest (briefly I promise) that the forum - even the announcement thread - is not really where people should have to go (nor should anyone with a serious interest in the image of Aus Chess want them to go) to get details on the Juniors.

Or, if it is where you want people to go and it is where you want to provide up-to-the-minute details and basic information, you should make that clear to people as they enter the website. The website then operating as a window to the forum itself :hmm:

skip to my lou
08-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm rebuilding that info in the word document, and putting online sign up forms etc. You can also pay with CC online.

Mischa
09-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Dear Libby,
I'm glad to see that although i've "noidea" the whole site is pretty much user unfriendly to othes as well. As families we have to book and make arrangements for siblings and our juniors when they are not playing chess. For those who are staying at the Mecure this may be easier, but for those of us who have already spent a fortune in travellling the continent this year in the name of chess...we can't afford the Mecure and so will have no access to activities. Is there some way we can organise things to do for players and siblings?
My husband and I will be there and willling to help in any way we can.

Mischa
09-10-2004, 10:34 PM

Tell me again how the juniors are not subsidising the adults.. I have "noidea" how this works

Garvinator
09-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Tell me again how the juniors are not subsidising the adults.. I have "noidea" how this works
Kerry Stead is the chief contact for the Australian Junior, so ill let him answer the questions regarding the Australian Junior Championships.

Mischa
09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Kerry Stead is the chief contact for the Australian Junior, so ill let him answer the questions regarding the Australian Junior Championships.
Then why do you make assertive comments regarding same? If you have information, don't just allude to it...share it...please.

Garvinator
09-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Then why do you make assertive comments regarding same? If you have information, don't just allude to it...share it...please.
sorry, just have become a little battle scarred by anything i say on here from posters i dont know.

The australian open and australian junior tournaments have been organised as two COMPLETELY separate tournaments. They have very little in common with each other, expect for being held at mt buller and having mercure/accor as sponsors.

Here is the prize break down for the Australian Junior championships.

Entry fee is $55 early, $75 late

Position Amount
1st Place $1,000
2nd Place $400
3rd Place $200
4th Place $150
5th Place $100
Under 16
1st Place $400
2nd Place $150
Under 14
1st Place $350
2nd Place $150
Girls
1st Place $500
2nd Place $200
3rd Place $150
4th Place $100
5th Place $100
Under 16
1st Place $300
2nd Place $150
Under 14
1st Place $250
2nd Place $100
Trophies $650
TOTAL $5,800

For us to break even financially, we require approximately 100 entries. So as you can see, the juniors are not being used to fund the australian open.

If you would also like the prize break down for the u12, please ask and ill give that. It also has a different prize structure and is also not being used to fund the australian open.

Mischa
10-10-2004, 08:20 PM
sorry, just have become a little battle scarred by anything i say on here from posters i dont know.

The australian open and australian junior tournaments have been organised as two COMPLETELY separate tournaments. They have very little in common with each other, expect for being held at mt buller and having mercure/accor as sponsors.

Here is the prize break down for the Australian Junior championships.

Entry fee is $55 early, $75 late

Position Amount
1st Place $1,000
2nd Place $400
3rd Place $200
4th Place $150
5th Place $100
Under 16
1st Place $400
2nd Place $150
Under 14
1st Place $350
2nd Place $150
Girls
1st Place $500
2nd Place $200
3rd Place $150
4th Place $100
5th Place $100
Under 16
1st Place $300
2nd Place $150
Under 14
1st Place $250
2nd Place $100
Trophies $650
TOTAL $5,800

For us to break even financially, we require approximately 100 entries. So as you can see, the juniors are not being used to fund the australian open.

If you would also like the prize break down for the u12, please ask and ill give that. It also has a different prize structure and is also not being used to fund the australian open.

Why would I need a break down of the under 12's.
Is there anyone who can help me with activities and details about those juniors who are not "Mecurees" and so have to fend for themselves re; entertainment. Most of us can't afford the reasonable rates offered at the Mecure...not when we have to buy meals as well. Most of us with juniors also have spouses and siblings to accommodate as well...the demands of chess dictate that family holidays must be taken sometimes in conjunction with tournaments.

If you know who I am, which you seem to, then you will appreciate how much chess has cost me this year.

jenni
10-10-2004, 09:29 PM
At one point the organising committee seemed to be receptive to the idea that they were going to have to be more proactive in organising activities for the juniors. I asked Libby to detail a number of ideas, (I knew she had been spending hours prowling the net). I passed these ideas onto the committee (I only view myself as organising the schools comp and not really part of the committee!).

Since then I think viewpoints have hardened and it seems to be if you stay at the Mercure you will have things to do, if you don't then it is up to you to organise your own activities. In many ways this is fair - you get what you pay for. So I think the non-mercurees are going to have to organise their own stuff. Maybe even a loose social committe could be formed with a person from Vic, NSW and ACT co-operating and exchanging ideas? I am sure Libby would be happy to work with noidea. I am also sure we non-mercurees would welcome mercurees to join in.

Anyway here are the results of Libby's research as passed onto the organising committee. Apart from these, I though we could get some informal "matches" going - soccer, basketball etc.

In Mt Buller itself -

Summer walks http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/hiking.html Don't know how popular these might be but maybe the "summer trail map which shows you the variety of walks available and gives you directions to find them" which can be collected from the Mt Buller Post Office could be distributed to everyone.

Alpine Spa http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/alpinespa.html & http://www.breathtaker.com.au/onhigh.htm hmm - not for the kids really (let arosar know about the geisha tubs though - we don't have to tell him the geisha isn't included).

Climbing Wall http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/climbing.html & http://www.latrobe.edu.au/mtbuller/SportsCentre.html at Cost: $44.00 p.p. per hour for 1 - 3 people. $11 per additional person. Perhaps a coordinated booking could be made so there is a day (or days) when chess has booked the climbing wall. Coordination is also needed because each kid needs someone to do the belaying (?), ie feeding the rope out, so they can't just go alone or with only one adult for a group of kids.

Mountain Biking http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/biking.html there is per hour individual hire or the opportunity for guided rides (min 5 people). It could be good for older kids as the guided rides include rocketing down the mountain (ie real mountain biking).

Roller blading http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/rollerblading.html Could be quite promising. You can hire them for scooting around the village but also to play in-line hockey in the Great Hall. Assuming you can skate indoors then, could it be hired for a "roller-disco" or something? I know they had the disco in Adelaide, this could be something a bit novel so you have fewer boys mooching around - they'll be staggering about breaking ankles instead.

Horse Riding http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/horseriding.html & http://www.pvr.com.au/activities.htm for enthusiasts I think but they do offer kids pony rides.

Cinema http://www.latrobe.edu.au/mtbuller/cinema.html Normally only Saturday nights (in Summer) but can be booked for groups @ $650/night - "If your group has a movie that it would like to see, give us a few weeks notice and we'll screen it 'just for you' at a special time or on another night. Cost: $650.00 for a single screening." They also offer concession entry (for normal screenings) for groups of 15 or more @ $7.50pp or $6.50 for school groups. Normal, individual rates are reasonable @ $12.50 adults and $8.50 concession. I also found this - http://www.breathtaker.com.au/events.htm#jan "Weekends Every Saturday Night Pinnacle Valley Resort's Cinema Under the Stars (weather permitting)" That has great novelty value but would require a shuttle (or shuttles) as the resort is at the base of Mt Buller.

Tennis http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/tennis.html There are outdoor courts at Mt Buller & indoor courts at LaTrobe. Could someone go to the trouble of coordinating a mini tournament (round robin). Kids could sign up for a nominal entry fee (to cover court hire) and play one game a day (single set) towards winning a small, novelty type (movie ticket?) prize in their age group. Would all be very social or could have a soacila nd a competitive division for kids who can really play. Sometimes it's easier to have a little competition set up than to have kids scrounging a partner all the time. Could also work if kids wanted to get together their own basketball, in-line hockey or soccer team for social but organised competition, scheduled to fit around game times. They could form their own team or just register and we make them into teams.

Museum - http://www.nama.org.au/ Open Sundays & Mondays. Not sure if this will really enthuse the kids.

Bus Trips - Looking at the Mansfield-Mt Buller website http://www.mansfield-mtbuller.com.au/, I'm not convinced there is a lot in the area which will make for an exciting outing for the kids. Roman's suggestions about historic huts, scenic waterways and wineries can be drawn almost directly from here. The Visit Victoria website for the region http://www4.visitvictoria.com/displayObject.cfm/ObjectID.1C027EE6-3940-42DA-9A292236E7668ECD/vvt.vhtml doesn't offer a lot more for kids other than more museums etc. The most promising venue for a day trip is probably Glenrowan if you are up for the kitsch Ned Kelly story. Using their route planner it's about 1 hr 45mins each way. I was hoping somewhere like Sovereign Hill might be within easy drive but (again using the route planner) thats more like 4 hrs. The Visit Victoria website doesn't have an email enquiry service but it might be worth contacting them for suggestions, particularly for U12s, of places within 1-2 hours travel of Mt Buller for a day trip. From their website - "General tourism enquiries and brochures For information on attractions, accommodation, transport and upcoming events in Melbourne and Victoria, or to request a brochure, call the Victorian Tourism Information Service on 132 842 (Australia only)"

Mischa
10-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Wow! Thanks Jenni. It is wonderful to see the amount of research you have undertaken. Perhaps we can reconnoitre in december. Some less cost or better still "no " cost activities would be great...for siblings as well. At leasst 'he who cannot be named" henceforth regarded to as "MacBeth" was aware of the problems with whole families attending this out of the way tournament. You are probably right about the states organising events, but you must be aware of the "state" of our "state's" juior chess. Would like to help...just let me think on a few ideas..not easy for "noidea"

Garvinator
11-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Since then I think viewpoints have hardened and it seems to be if you stay at the Mercure you will have things to do, if you don't then it is up to you to organise your own activities.
the viewpoint hardening is not reflective of all on the 'main' committee.

ursogr8
11-10-2004, 07:58 AM
You are probably right about the states organising events, but you must be aware of the "state" of our "state's" junior chess.

Is this the same Mrs noidea who argued that her son's entry into the VIC Junior OPEN should not attract a surcharge levied because he was not a member of an affiliated Club?

I am sure the Chess VIC Executive would welcome you joining the Committee to work on junior chess activities.

starter

Mischa
11-10-2004, 10:13 AM
well, starter,as a fairly recent member of your chessclub, I am still getting used to the way things are done there. If you weren't so far away from where we live and if I didn't have other committments with non chess playing members of my family, I would be more than happy to be involved.
Please believe me I meant no offence to your club, I think you do a wonderful job. I was refering instead to the lack of a state junior chess organisation. Surely someone who has more of an idea would be of better service on the committee.

Libby
11-10-2004, 11:58 AM
At one point the organising committee seemed to be receptive to the idea that they were going to have to be more proactive in organising activities for the juniors. I asked Libby to detail a number of ideas, (I knew she had been spending hours prowling the net). I passed these ideas onto the committee (I only view myself as organising the schools comp and not really part of the committee!).

Since then I think viewpoints have hardened and it seems to be if you stay at the Mercure you will have things to do, if you don't then it is up to you to organise your own activities.

I'm happy to be part of an informal social committee for the event. Other parents/junior organisers who would like to be involved (or just included) can drop me a PM or email.

How well regarded might we be if we ran such a committee with the line that those staying at the Mercure are not entitled to participate in any activities we organise? After all, those at the Mercure will be overwhelmed with the excitement of their pool and building muscles in the gym and can't possibly have time to mix with the unclean ones ... :wall:

(Hopefully everyone can read that as a not-to-be-taken-seriously post.)

We were completely upfront, right from the start, that the Mercure is not overpriced for a top quality hotel but it is still more expensive than alternatives and does not have enough rooms with the main facilities (kitchens) that families require. We are there for nearly two weeks for goodness sake! These are not individual adult players, these are parents & families with non-playing siblings.

We don't want a "them-and-us" juniors. Of course there are people paying extra to stay at the Mercure and they expect to get "extra" for that money so good luck to them with the pool etc. But ask the kids who are staying there how much fun will they be having when they grab their towel for a swim but have to leave their buddies at the door? How much fun are the sports and activities when you can't ask your friends to come and play with you because they stayed at the wrong place :evil:

Get over it. Everyone makes accommodation arrangements to suit their family and financial circumstances. We can't all make those decisions with purely the interests of the sponsor in mind. To keep the sponsor happy and act in the interests (?) of Australian Chess must my family pay an extra $600+? And then eat out for every non-included lunch & dinner? I can't afford it and I'm sick of hearing about it. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm going to the juniors with my daughter. We have loads of ACT kids going and it seems a good number from the other states are on the way. If you've got ideas for activities etc (inclusive activities that is) then get in touch and we'll see what we can come up with to really make this event a fantastic, fun couple of weeks for everyone. :D

Mischa
11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Well said Libby.

Mischa
11-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Is ther anyone else out here who can help us make this a successful junior tournament? Any ideas or parents who will be there and can help us with organising or running activities? Just simply playing soccer or taking the younger siblings for a walk? Maybe even tag team with other parents to share the load of other siblings or supervising 10 year olds or those with cars [I will have one available] offering to "shop" or ferry kids back and forth? Dare I suggest it?...are there any older chess juniors who can act as "big brothers" and help us entertain the kids?

george
13-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi ALL,

It really comes down to time and money and willing helpers. If the income for the tournaments is sufficient , money will be made available for broader activities.

A daily evening screening of a film for kids will be arranged in the downstairs part of Abom onto a large screen during the Junior provided we can get some parents to supervise - closer to the day we can see what is available in the closest DVD hire shop or children can bring their own. The youngsters will be finished most days before the older children start so a movie afternoon etc is out of the question because although ABOM is large it is also open on various levels with no ability to muffle sound. Therefore daytime activities apart from receiving coaching of course need to be planned by the persons responsible for the children.

Jenny and Libby are right , there are many things for all players to do when not playing - only the Recreational Chalet facilities will be for use only by Chalet guests.

Please be advised that at that time of year I have been reliably told the fishing in the streams is fantastic - Im not a fisher person so I dont know the sort of fishing they are speaking of.

Perhaps some parent could start another thread to get together the ideas and abilities available. It is difficult I understand when not many have been to the venue and especially not in summer but one thing please be aware. On any day it is between 8-10 degrees cooler at Mt Buller than the Melbourne temperature of the same day and I've been told the evenings can be cool.

If its sufficiently cool the area near where the DVD's has a very large open fire which can be set - it will certainly be operational at various stages during the Open - again with the youngsters I ask for adult supervision.

Regards TO ALL
George Howard

Libby
13-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Thank you George for a positive post on this issue. :)

It really comes down to time and money and willing helpers. If the income for the tournaments is sufficient , money will be made available for broader activities.

I actually don't think there is a lot of money required. I never sought free use of the pool (to rehash a tired old story), just the normal paid, public access. In the same way, I don't think we are necessarily looking for "freebies" from the organisers for activities. From this thread, I think we have indicated a desire to be "willing helpers" but this isn't the only, or most appropriate, way to recruit such helpers. I am sourcing what info I can (from LaTrobe in particular) about what some possible activities might be. I had then planned to circulate that to all the state junior coordinators, coaches etc who are, or might be, going to Mt Buller. In other words - I had planned to be as inclusive as possible. If people are not interested in being involved, that's no problem.

Given some U12s may finish playing by 10.30 or 11 in the morning, I think it's more than reasonable - after the ACF inisisted we play at Mt Buller - that some consideration be given to what they are supposed to do for the rest of the day. It was my understanding that people wanted the experience to be positive for all participants so we might like to go there again :rolleyes:

A daily evening screening of a film for kids will be arranged in the downstairs part of Abom onto a large screen during the Junior provided we can get some parents to supervise - closer to the day we can see what is available in the closest DVD hire shop or children can bring their own. The youngsters will be finished most days before the older children start so a movie afternoon etc is out of the question because although ABOM is large it is also open on various levels with no ability to muffle sound.

But LaTrobe can convert their auditorium to a proper movie theatre. Pinnacle Valley (down the mountain) has an outdoor cinema. I know Jenni forwarded all this info (which I spent some hours gathering) to the committee already. This is an option I have asked for more info on now because we could run matinee screenings or request particular movies, provided we organise this in advance. Not saying that we will do this - but it's an idea. BTW - where is the nearest DVD hire shop?

only the Recreational Chalet facilities will be for use only by Chalet guests.

Can I clarify exactly what these facilities are? Because we have had everything from basketball to tennis etc etc cited as unavailable unless you stay at the Chalet. I took this from the Mercure website -

Chalet Sports Centre

Indoor Heated Swimming Pool
Spa
Two Steam Rooms
Fully Equipped Gymnasium
Two Saunas
Massage Therapist
Two Squash Courts
Racquet Ball
Indoor Basketball

But then -

Nearby

Ski and Boardriding School
Mountain Bikes
In-Line Skates
Indoor Tennis
Indoor Rockclimbing
Indoor Basketball and Netball
Horseriding
Abseiling
Whitewater Rafting
Hot Air Ballooning
4WD Safaris
Chairlift Rides
Picnics

So there are sports facilities everyone will be able to use and if I wasn't nearly crippled by tendonitis in both knees I might even (or might still) get the Mums together for a netball comp - that would keep the kids amused! :owned:

I think it's pretty sensible to get together, as a group, to book some of these facilities. It will cost us money but what use are the basketball courts at the Mercure if only half your proposed team-mates are allowed to use them? At least we can include everyone on the other courts, let them know the times for which we have booked and kids can sign-up to share the use and the cost at that time?

The older kids might like someone to help them coordinate a booking for mountain biking, abseiling etc. These are just ideas. We'd actually like to stop whinging and find ways for people to have a good time whilst they are there.

Does anyone know if there are public BBQ facilities in Mt Buller. Somewhere where we could gather a couple of times for a informal get-together. Maybe even on arrival evening? (probably the Monday?) :hmm:

george
13-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Hi Libby,Jenni,Noideas.

The La Trobe facilities are available but from the indication I got they are not cheap I had conversation with La Trobe on a couple of occassions - they are proud of their huge auditorium indoor sporting facility which is the biggest in Victoria I think he said and charge accordingly. The large auduitorium they are talking about with climbing wall etc is all available for hire but the price was prohibitive.

The Chalet has a squash court and a second Squash court has been converted into a half basketball court.

The Chalet has the other facilities you mentioned although in the brief time we were there I was more interested in discussions and checking ABOM.

What will the young children not staying at Chalet do if they finish early? I know some of the coaches are interested in having a lack of things to do so that the children concentrate on chess ( a strange concept from my point of view but maybe the spartan idea may work).

The outdoors really will be stunning and my suggestion is to organise lots of activities around the outdoors. The ski slopes will have no skiers or snow so large open spaces abound but I dont know what vegetation covering the ground has or will have.

Apparantly in the last ten years it has snowed once in early December and once in early January - that would be fun but is literally in the lap of the gods.

I will be there from mid/late November so I can post lots more information to give you an opportunity to plan - I dont know when La Trobe close down or what is involved in Opening the facilities but if you wish when I make my early post from Buller you can get in touch on 0414841575 and/or email me and I can get the information you seek. One of the reasons I want to be there from about mid November is to lock down many of these creature comfort needs and really you have to be there to see for yourself and to communicate directly with La Trobe folks and Mansfield people re printing buses etc as well as co-ordinating all the Chess Things.

I have been there for an afternoon and a full day and found the possibilities very exciting for chess and activities.

Regards
George Howard

Libby
13-10-2004, 10:25 AM
What will the young children not staying at Chalet do if they finish early? I know some of the coaches are interested in having a lack of things to do so that the children concentrate on chess ( a strange concept from my point of view but maybe the spartan idea may work).

Fabulous! I must get the names of anyone who thinks 80+ Under 12s will be able to focus entirely on chess study from midday until bedtime for 11 days straight. We certainly need coaches able to motivate players like that in Canberra! We seem to have many who feel even the best & most dedicated need some down-time :whistle: And accompanying siblings - not playing chess - must find that a good idea.

The La Trobe facilities are available but from the indication I got they are not cheap I had conversation with La Trobe on a couple of occassions - they are proud of their huge auditorium indoor sporting facility which is the biggest in Victoria I think he said and charge accordingly. The large auduitorium they are talking about with climbing wall etc is all available for hire but the price was prohibitive.

Well - not exactly. The info I sent to the committee, via Jenni, incorporated everything from the charges for using the climbing wall to requesting a private movie screening. Their normal movie screenings offer group discounts, all leading to it being a bit cheaper if you coordinate and book as a group. The climbing wall can be booked on an hourly basis and is no more expensive than doing that activity anywhere else (i know, Kayleigh is a bit of an enthusiast!)

I imagine it is prohibitive to book the full auditorium/sports facility for a full day/week or a major function. In that case you would need to consider the cost-effective nature of your activity or :eek: a level of cash input from organisers. But how prohibitive can it be to hire a tennis court or make casual use of their gym (yes, they have their own gym, not just the Mercure gym)? The rates didn't look too prohibitive on their website for this sort of use. I think your post was a bit pessimistic. :(

LaTrobe seem to coordinate most of the bushwalking and biking activities and I found info on the Mt Buller site about a special children's night walk where you spotlight the animals etc. You need to book that as a group so that's another idea. I was only looking to post some "sign-up" boards for various suggestions and if we get the numbers to make it viable, we go ahead. This isn't too technical but it requires a little bit of coordination - especially to have kids mixing with children staying in their own various "state" groups.

This really isn't intended as some kind of grand plan exercise. I will be in Mt Buller for the schools event in December so it was certainly on my agenda to scout the territory then. There is a zoo in the Mansfield area which might make for a good afternoon trip for some of the u12s and little ones. This isn't rocket science but if we act in a coordinated, inclusive way, we help everyone have a good time. :D

jenni
13-10-2004, 11:59 AM
This isn't rocket science but if we act in a coordinated, inclusive way, we help everyone have a good time. :D

For many years the Aus Juniors has been a bit of a muddled event. We have kids there who are going for titles and they (and their coaches) proabbly take it terribly seriously. For most of the kids it is more of a chess festival. They want to go, mix with their mates, make new friends in other states. Their chess improves, but the peripheral atmosphere is what makes it a success.

It is this latter group and their siblings who we need to arrange things for. The older kids are probably going to be studying (or sleeeping), in the mornings and playing in the afternoons. The younger ones are going to need some activities - they don't have to be high cost - even a "meet at the xyz field" for a game of soccer is probably enough.

A lot of us are going to be in Mt Buller in December, so we can check out the summer facilities and come up with some ideas. Also the idea of an ice-breaker sausage sizzle early on is good. All we need to do is put up a notice in the playing hall every few days - you know " roller skating on the 13th at 2pm - cost x put your name down by 1pm tomorrow. "

It doesn't need to involve any cost to the organisers and a group of parents can easily do it.

Mischa
14-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I have just received the very flashy booklet including entry forms for the Aus. junior. Has anyone else seen it? No information about accommodation...some ridiculous times for games, and wait for it...The presentation for the under 12's is at 8 pm, followed by a barbeque and party. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most parents of juniors under 12 will, after 12 days on the mountain just want yo go home. Also, correct me if I'm wrong again, but most kids under 12 need to eat before 8, and this is the time of the presentation. So the food will be served at , what, 9 pm? I don't think you will have any younger juniors staying for the presentation. What is the motivation for this? To make us all stay another night? And don't tell me that we have to wait for the under 18's...if they can start together on day 1 and 2 why can't they do the same on the last day. I continue to think that this is not about "your tournament" as they say in the pamphlet, but about how long we can keep you there. I really don't think they have thought about the neeeds of the younger juniors at all. But if I am wrong...please explain.

klyall
14-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Thank you for all the above information. Despite this, I am still extremely concerned what I am going to do with my young non - chess playing son for 10 days; it is supposed to be his holiday too. If it is wet or extremely hot, outdoor activities will be difficult. Is there any way non - Mecure people can pay to use the pool?

On another note, I have been told that the awards ceremony is going to be at 8.00 pm at night. Surely this is an error!

Mischa
14-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Thank you for all the above information. Despite this, I am still extremely concerned what I am going to do with my young non - chess playing son for 10 days; it is supposed to be his holiday too. If it is wet or extremely hot, outdoor activities will be difficult. Is there any way non - Mecure people can pay to use the pool?

On another note, I have been told that the awards ceremony is going to be at 8.00 pm at night. Surely this is an error!
Wish it was klyall, wish it was...but why do you think it is worked this way...why do you think they would be so inconsiderate of the health and well being of the younger juniors...I certainly cannot come up with a reasonable reason, can you?

jenni
15-10-2004, 12:12 AM

Unfortunately not. Libby and I have already been through this loop to no avail...... for both things pool and presentation ceremony. We are not winning any polpularity polls at the moment with the organisers. :)

Bill Gletsos
15-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Unfortunately not. Libby and I have already been through this loop to no avail...... for both things pool and presentation ceremony. We are not winning any polpularity polls at the moment with the organisers. :)
What is their justification for the presentation being at 8pm especially for the Under 12's.

Garvinator
15-10-2004, 12:22 AM
What is their justification for the presentation being at 8pm especially for the Under 12's.
a familiar response from Garvin- ask George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com

Bill Gletsos
15-10-2004, 12:37 AM
a familiar response from Garvin- ask George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com
I was asking jenni.
I wasnt expecting an answer from you.
Of course I know I can always ring george but I figure he is busy enough as it is.
Thats why he has others assisting him.

Garvinator
15-10-2004, 12:38 AM
I was asking jenni.
I wasnt expecting an answer from you.
i know, just anticipating where these questions are going and taking a step to try and short cut the process :)

Bill Gletsos
15-10-2004, 12:40 AM
i know, just anticipating where these questions are going and taking a step to try and short cut the process :)
Sorry but I dont see it that way.
You may as well not answer at all if you are just going to say... ask george, especially to the likes of me.

jenni
15-10-2004, 09:31 AM

I really don't know.....

Basically you do want the presentations together - it is very exciting for the kids to come together and get the awards together. Many of the kids in the under 12's know juniors in the under 18 and there is state loyalty etc. So I think it would seriously detract from the event to split the prize-givings.

I think (but don't know) that the decision to have a very late prizegiving was driven by the bus time table from Mt Buller to Melbourne. There are buses at 8am (useless) and 1:30 pm - not going to make that one either, as that is the time it leaves Mansfield. The final one is 7:45 and gets into Spencer street at 10:35pm. Still have to get from there to Tullamarine - so no-one is going to make a flight that night. If you are going to spend a night somewhere, it makes sense to spend it in Mt Buller and go out early the next day.

However all this assumes large numbers flying into Melbourne. Obviously there will be some - Queensland, SA and WA. Historically the biggest numbers come from NSW, ACT and VIC. I would have thought these people would drive. I don't know of anyone from the ACT who is flying - we are either driving down, or for those people who do not want to, we have hired a bus to go directly from Canberra to Mt Buller.

So starting the under 12 and under 18's together, a lunchtime presentation and party, allowing the people who want to drive to leave around 2:30 and be home that night would be much more friendly. Given the large impact on family life that the aus juniors has (in many cases families are separated for that period with one partner going to the comp, while the other stays at home and looks after siblings, or maybe just keeps working to keep the money coming in and not use up all the annual leave), an extra night actually has an impact.

It is of course exacerbated by the fact that the road closes out of Mt Buller at 8:30am on the 22nd for the Porsche car rally. This will not affect people getting the v-line bus to Melbourne, as I understand the plan is to have them in Mansfield for the 8am bus.

However people driving out will have to be prepared for an early start or to have to wait in Mt Buller until the road reopens briefly at 12:30. My family is not too good at early starts, so we are planning to attend prize-giving (probably - I feel it is something you should do whether your kids are winning a trophy or not) and then drive down to Mansfield and spend the night there. That way we don't have to stress about not getting out in time.

jenni
15-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Just heard back from George and he feels it is now too late to move the under 18 to co-incide with the under 12 and have an earlier presentation, because people have made bookings etc etc. So I guess if people would like to have a change, contacting George and expressing your point of view is the best thing to do.

Garvinator
15-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Just heard back from George and he feels it is now too late to move the under 18 to co-incide with the under 12 and have an earlier presentation, because people have made bookings etc etc. So I guess if people would like to have a change, contacting George and expressing your point of view is the best thing to do.
Just to add, the times for the final round of the u18 and u12 is being discussed further. Will get back to everyone when more information is available.

Cheers,

Garvin

Ring-A-Rosie
15-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Surely if the presentation was changed to make an early get-away possible it wouldn't affect anyone adversely.

If people have booked to leave the next day, they still can.

It just offers those who want to the opportunity to leave on the same day.

jenni
15-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Surely if the presentation was changed to make an early get-away possible it wouldn't affect anyone adversely.

If people have booked to leave the next day, they still can.

It just offers those who want to the opportunity to leave on the same day.

I do feel we have a window of opportunity to get this changed, but I need some support on this. If you feel that you would like the times changed, please contact George and let him know.

arosar
15-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Just to add, the times for the final round of the u18 and u12 is being discussed further. Will get back to everyone when more information is available.

gray, it's very hard to believe anything you're saying. Sometimes you make definitive statements and at other times you duck and weave and say, 'ask george'.

Your response above is totally the opposite of what jenni said and appears to disagree with your boss' feeling that it is now "too late". Who do we believe? Was that a knee-jerk reaction by you in crisis control? Did you have George's blessing to say what you said? Can you see the problem with messenger inconsistency gray?

Either have something to say gray or say nothing at all. Take that as a bit of constructive feedback.

AR

Garvinator
15-10-2004, 01:37 PM
gray, it's very hard to believe anything you're saying. Sometimes you make definitive statements and at other times you duck and weave and say, 'ask george'.

Your response above is totally the opposite of what jenni said and appears to disagree with your boss' feeling that it is now "too late". Who do we believe? Was that a knee-jerk reaction by you in crisis control? Did you have George's blessing to say what you said? Can you see the problem with messenger inconsistency gray?

Either have something to say gray or say nothing at all. Take that as a bit of constructive feedback.

AR
i gave the most accurate response, the organisers are discussing it now and will be for a couple of days most likely :) It is just a case that George and Jenni have declared their thoughts earlier than everyone else.

Libby
15-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Of course, this is all probably nobody’s business but my own however the strong sense coming from the organisers that people are going out of their way to destroy a sponsorship arrangement OR p*ss off George OR deliberating act in a way that will destroy the future of Australian chess, is being laid on very thickly. It comes over in posting on this site, it arrives in PMs & emails and it’s so unfair I thought people might need whacking over the head with some reality.

My bank account currently holds less than $5 although I do have about $35 in my purse and about $300 in a Christmas Club. Payday is next Thursday. I’m a stay-at-home parent who contributes quite a bit to “the future of Australian chess” at a local level but there’s no money in it for me. My children go to Government schools, we have one car (a matchbox Daewoo) and we live in a very average home in the outer suburbs of Canberra. Our last family holiday was four days in Sydney before putting Kayleigh and I on a plane to Perth for the Aus Junior last January. Kayleigh went to World Youth last year for which I raised almost all the money required by selling chocolate, running fundraising events, running a raffle and sending out about 250 letters requesting support and sponsorship. I am currently sewing for a craft stall at the school fete to raise money to go to Aus Schools in Mt Buller in December. I have also run a fundraising tournament and been selling chocolate for that. This is not a whinge – the choice for me to be at home is mine, our family income is limited, so these are the things I do to make other things happen.

Kayleigh and I are staying at Benmore Lodge for the Aus Juniors. It will cost us $45 per night (she is $15 and I am $30). It’s no good to anyone else as it is fully booked with ACT people. We have our own bathroom and share a kitchen and common rooms. Total cost (12 nights) is $540 plus meals that we can prepare in the kitchen. To stay at the Mercure, in a room together without a kitchen, would cost us $120/night – or that is what I have been quoted and what other ACT parents have been quoted – and includes breakfast. Total cost $1440.

Now tell me – in my family’s circumstances – and in the interests of Australian chess – what the @#$% do you expect me to do? This is not a campaign to sabotage the event. I think the rates at the Mercure are very reasonable for that style of accommodation. I have no objection to the organisers promoting the Mercure as the preferred accommodation. I have no objection to it being the only accommodation advertised in the brochures. I totally object to the situation with bookings at the Mercure (particularly in relation to the juniors) consistently being rammed down our throat as if people don’t want to support the event and using it as an excuse for non-interest in a whole range of unrelated, legitimate concerns people raise.

I don’t know why people are choosing the accommodation choices they make. I only know why I am choosing as I have. Try being a bit sensitive to MY position – in the interests of MY family and others like us.

PS thank you to those who did not point out my appalling maths prior to edit :)

Libby
15-10-2004, 06:03 PM

Ah - the pool. See http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/swimming.html where it quite clearly (still) says there is public use of the pool :D

Jenni is quite right - we have trod here before (see other Mt Buller threads). During Summer, LaTrobe University normally manages the pool and the Mercure gym. On the LaTrobe site you will find info about this, entry fees, opening hours etc. I discovered all of this and had no intention of being controversial when I pointed out to people that - at limited times of the day and for a fee - people not at the Mercure can use the pool.

This was very quickly squashed by the committee. I ended up ringing Roman (at the Mercure) to try to get the Mercure's perspective on why normal, summer, public use was being revoked. We were never expecting a special deal but (and I may be wrong here) I was getting the feeling that the chess organisers themselves were those most opposed to any "strays" entering the sacred waters :P

Roman told me that he expected the Mercure to be fully booked and that the pool was quite small (I have seen photos and it is quite small) so he didn't see that it was possible to have members of the public in the pool when so many guests would be making demands on that facility. Not quite sure where that argument currently stands :hmm: Would also love to know if the pool will be closed to ALL members of the public, not just those connected to the chess ... :whistle:

Anyway, I thought that was reasonable (subject to the Mercure really being full) although I made one final tilt at the organisers by asking if they could pursue very limited access to the pool - given there isn't loads of stuff to do - where maybe there would be one or two days when (at limited times and for a fee) the kids could come for a swim. I've heard nothing back on that one and I guess I don't really expect to. That's one windmill I've stopped tilting at even as I continue to wonder who thinks this sort of attitude actually promotes a great atmosphere for the event ... :(

jenni
15-10-2004, 06:22 PM
George at one time suggested I might have a chat to Roman and try and organise limited paid access to the pool. I was planning to do this when I was in Mt Buller for the schools.

However over the last few weeks as more and more Juniors book at lodges, attitudes have hardened and the pool is definitely off limits.

Libby
15-10-2004, 07:15 PM
I have just received the very flashy booklet including entry forms for the Aus. junior. Has anyone else seen it? No information about accommodation...some ridiculous times for games, and wait for it...The presentation for the under 12's is at 8 pm, followed by a barbeque and party. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most parents of juniors under 12 will, after 12 days on the mountain just want yo go home. Also, correct me if I'm wrong again, but most kids under 12 need to eat before 8, and this is the time of the presentation. So the food will be served at , what, 9 pm? I don't think you will have any younger juniors staying for the presentation. What is the motivation for this? To make us all stay another night? And don't tell me that we have to wait for the under 18's...if they can start together on day 1 and 2 why can't they do the same on the last day. I continue to think that this is not about "your tournament" as they say in the pamphlet, but about how long we can keep you there. I really don't think they have thought about the neeeds of the younger juniors at all. But if I am wrong...please explain.

I have no idea why the last games have to be played in the afternoon but there might be a good reason. Unfortunately, even very innocuous enquiries - with no agenda attached - don't get the sort of response (in general) which help you to understand the reasons.

I'd love to be home in my own bed on the Friday night, not stressing about getting out of Mt Buller on Saturday morning before the road gets closed :eek:

On the negative side, the U18s have double-rounds for 9&10 which you would then be asking them to back up by playing first thing the following morning - at a pretty crucial time in the event. One can but hope that even that (if the kids view it as a problem) could be rejigged a little.

On the positive side for change -

a presentation would take place at a "friendly" time for even the youngest juniors to participate in (before they get too tired or too grotty)

more juniors may attend the presentation rather than some U12s "bolting" at the conclusion of their games because they would otherwise be hanging about another 8 hours for the presentation

people may be able to get home on the Friday

Mt Buller themselves would avoid crossover bookings with people arriving for the Mt Buller Porsche Sprint on the Friday http://www.mtbullersprint.com/schedule.html

Any possible conflict with Porsche functions could be avoided (on the website the Porsche people advertise "2030 hrs - Welcome Cocktail Party - ABOM Restaurant Mt. Buller.)

Nobody would get "stuck" in Mt Buller on the Saturday morning because they miss exiting before the road closure at about 8.30am.

Those seems like a few good & reasonable suggestions for change. However, if there are better reasons for leaving things as they are, please tell us. Especially those of us who represent a group of junior players - we can then pass that information on and put out our own spot fires.

This sort of answer (on the road closure for example) doesn't help and only leads to people like myself posting the kind of cranky message I did earlier
All persons staying at the Chalet will have no problems - the shuttle will get them to the bus etc on the morning of the 22nd. persona staying elsewhere can still access the shuttles etc to get off the mountain and meet the v-line buses.

Others staying elsewhere will have to time their departures to coordinate - people leaving by own transport - my strong suggestion is people should stay at the Chalet rather than elsewhere.

Libby (attempting to be constructive ;) )

Bill Gletsos
15-10-2004, 07:35 PM
On the negative side, the U18s have double-rounds for 9&10 which you would then be asking them to back up by playing first thing the following morning - at a pretty crucial time in the event. One can but hope that even that (if the kids view it as a problem) could be rejigged a little.
I realise there must be two double up rounds. The first is on Wednesday 12th when rounds 2 & 3 are played. However I must admit I can see no reason why the next double up has to be so late in the event and could not be on Saturday 15th immediately after the first rest day when it could be rounds 5 & 6 that double up. This would have the double up at a less crucial time of the event and would allow a single round per day for the remainder of the tournament.
The added advantage of this would then be that the U18's could play their last round games also starting at 9.30am and would allow the presentation to occur much earlier than 8pm.

Those seems like a few good & reasonable suggestions for change. However, if there are better reasons for leaving things as they are, please tell us. Especially those of us who represent a group of junior players - we can then pass that information on and put out our own spot fires.

This sort of answer (on the road closure for example) doesn't help and only leads to people like myself posting the kind of cranky message I did earlier

I'm neither a junior nor a parent of a child but I consider myself "junior chess" friendly and your points all make sense to me.
Let us hope those making the decisions take heed of the recomendations.

bishop e3
16-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Am new to this...why is there a presentation so late in the day? I heard someone mention that I will not be able to get off the mountain inthe morning. I guess that means I will have to leave straight after my kid's game. We usually make a point of staying for the presentation...win or lose. Not this time

Garvinator
16-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Am new to this...why is there a presentation so late in the day? I heard someone mention that I will not be able to get off the mountain inthe morning. I guess that means I will have to leave straight after my kid's game. We usually make a point of staying for the presentation...win or lose. Not this time

The organisers are discussing this matter now and will be for a couple of days most likely.

Garvin Gray
Mt Buller Chess Tournaments Organiser

jenni
16-10-2004, 12:57 AM
contact George - his e-mail address is

georgeshoward@hotmail.com

I would urge anyone who feels this needs to be changed to contact him.

Mischa
16-10-2004, 12:59 AM
The organisers are discussing this matter now and will be for a couple of days most likely.

Garvin Gray

Does this mean there is a possibility that we will be listened to?

jenni
16-10-2004, 01:01 AM

e-mail George.

Garvinator
16-10-2004, 01:01 AM
that is this possibility ;)

Garvinator
16-10-2004, 01:02 AM
e-mail George.
Jenni starts to sound like Garvin ;) :lol: ;)

jenni
16-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Jenni starts to sound like Garvin ;) :lol: ;)

This had occurred to me - however it is all a numbers game, so there comes a time when "e-mail George" becomes a sensible suggestion. :lol:

bishop e3
16-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Will George appreciate being e-mailed? Doesn't he read this thread? Can't he work it out for himself? Sorry, so many questions.

Garvinator
16-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Will George appreciate being e-mailed? yes, George would prefer to be emailed than answer questions on here.

Doesn't he read this thread? no

bishop e3
16-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Short, but to the point. I like that in a man.

jenni
16-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Will George appreciate being e-mailed? Doesn't he read this thread? Can't he work it out for himself? Sorry, so many questions.

He can work it out for himself, but as Garvin says he doesn't read here much and more important pays no attention to it.

Currently Garvin and I are struggling with this issue - personal e-mails from parents/coaches who feel strongly would one hope have an effect.

george
16-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi All,

I just posted on the announcement thread that the starting time for the older children in last round will be brought forward in line with the U12 with an afternoon presentation with details to be advised.

It seems there are more people wanting this change than might be inconvenienced by an earlier start for older children so we will make the change.

Regards
George Howard

george
16-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Jenni,

Since things are getting more positive on the BB and the posts are now generally more constructive I will read these posts. Also Jenni I feel you need to be a full member of the Organising Committee since you are actively seeking a big input which is fine - welcome.

Regards to ALL
George Howard

Libby
16-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi All,

I just posted on the announcement thread that the starting time for the older children in last round will be brought forward in line with the U12 with an afternoon presentation with details to be advised.

It seems there are more people wanting this change than might be inconvenienced by an earlier start for older children so we will make the change.

Regards
George Howard

Thank you George :) however I guess I express those thanks with a note of caution :confused:

It had been my intention to contact as many junior organisers/coaches etc as I could to raise this issue. Although the Bulletin Board may seem a hive of information and opinion it can also take on the role of "unrepresentative swill" (not meaning to insult anyone else as I quite accept I may be in that category myself).

I thought it was important that any decision - to stay as we are or to change - be consultative. You have raised on a number of occasions, your desire not to react to things just because a small number are complaining about something.

You may have received a lot of opinions from various state organisers, or just the handful I have been privy to (with copied emails and posts on the board). I'd hate to see a situation (much as I would like things to change for the final day) where any changes were greeted with howls of despair from others who aren't aware that it's even being mooted.

I have raised before the need for the Bulletin Board NOT to be the primary way to seek opinion. A handful of people are active on the board and many junior parents don't even know it exists (fortunate for them or us?) I would much prefer Mt Buller announcements appear on the website - to which people are referred by the brochure.

I also think it's important to be consultative with the change in light of the concerns I raised with 3 rounds then being played back-to-back by the U18s. Will this be factored into decisions? Many in that age group may feel strongly that things should remain as they are unless the schedule can incorporate further change.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, or to even know if my idea makes any sense. I'm only urging that matters affecting junior events be discussed - not with every parent in the land - but with the main state organisers/coaches - of which, like it or lump it, I am one.

Libby :cool:

PS With regard to Jenni taking on a full role on the committee, I have no objection whatsoever and feel she has a tremendous amount of energy and experience to offer. However, it hadn't been my understanding she wanted such a role (?) although I'm not attempting to make that decision for her. Many of us are happy to be "helpers" and to contribute ideas and advice we feel may be constructive. Some of us could be viewed as an untapped resource rather than a negative influence - I guess that depends on your perspective. ;)

george
16-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi Libby,

Yes the change to the final round start seems sensible and we will look at the double rounds to see if by changing the days it can improve the tournament or improve the enjoyment of the tournament by the participants.

Any change to the double round day can be posted before the tournament starts or even after the Opening Ceremony when the house keeping announcements are made - the playing days are set as are most things but if we can make changes in the schedule within the given timeframe that benefits the players/tournament then we certainly will without reacting to some of the ideas that come onto this BB from left field.

Regards
George Howard

Garvinator
16-10-2004, 01:30 PM
I have raised before the need for the Bulletin Board NOT to be the primary way to seek opinion. A handful of people are active on the board and many junior parents don't even know it exists (fortunate for them or us?) I would much prefer Mt Buller announcements appear on the website - to which people are referred by the brochure.
once things are all settled regarding how we change things etc then new announcements will appear on the website. It is just a matter at the moment of how to implement changes :cool:

Bill Gletsos
16-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

Well done George.

Bill Gletsos
16-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi Jenni,

Since things are getting more positive on the BB and the posts are now generally more constructive I will read these posts. Also Jenni I feel you need to be a full member of the Organising Committee since you are actively seeking a big input which is fine - welcome.
Seems emminently sensible to me.

Bill Gletsos
16-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi Libby,

Yes the change to the final round start seems sensible and we will look at the double rounds to see if by changing the days it can improve the tournament or improve the enjoyment of the tournament by the participants.

Any change to the double round day can be posted before the tournament starts or even after the Opening Ceremony when the house keeping announcements are made - the playing days are set as are most things but if we can make changes in the schedule within the given timeframe that benefits the players/tournament then we certainly will without reacting to some of the ideas that come onto this BB from left field.
Its good to see common sense prevailing George especially since common sense isnt all that common. ;)

bishop e3
16-10-2004, 10:03 PM
this is wonderful news...not only becuase it is a sensible decision but because it shows that "they" are considering the needs of the participants. I echo the sentiment"well done"

Mischa
16-10-2004, 10:06 PM
I agree Bishop, this is a positive result and one that is to the credit of all.

jenni
17-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Hi Jenni,

Regards to ALL
George Howard

Well I think the BB is a valuable tool - sometimes it gets idiotic and I certainly got very upset with it around Easter when I was overworked and tired. A large number of people read it, who never post on it.

Thank-you for the invitation, however I will limit my involvement to the schools only - for the juniors I want to be able to concentrate on my own kids and not have dual responsibilities.

I do try to be constructive and although I know various people including "he who cannot be named" view me as interfering and irritating, it is always with the best interests of the juniors at heart.

I have every confidence in you, Kerry, Garvin, Andrew and Alex to put together a good event.

jenni
17-10-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm not claiming to have all the answers, or to even know if my idea makes any sense. I'm only urging that matters affecting junior events be discussed - not with every parent in the land - but with the main state organisers/coaches - of which, like it or lump it, I am one.

It probably doesn't help this time around, but the ACF Junior sub-committee motion has been passed by the ACF and will be implemented (hopefully soon).

In the future when any problem like this arises, it can be referred to the Sub-committee, which will be quickly able to get an answer from all the state bodies to allow a more orderly way of doing these things.

Libby
18-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi everyone

Sorry to be tedious with (yet another :rolleyes: ) long post. I have just sent this out as an email to those organisers and state coaches/administrators I have contact details for but I thought it was probably not a bad idea to advertise the proposals on this thread. :) :)

I have volunteered to be part of a social committee for the upcoming 2005 Australian Junior Chess Championship. This is intended to be an informal committee, we have no official powers, no funding or sponsorship and should not be regarded as representatives of the Mt Buller organising committee. That's not to say we expect to be in conflict with the organisers - far from it - but we have no "official" standing in the event so, if I annoy you, that should not reflect in any way on anyone else.

We are not really a committee as such at the moment so I am very interested in hearing from parents, coaches and administrators from your state who might like to be involved. You can drop me a line with their emails, or drop me a line asking to be "unsubscribed" from any of this information if you don't want to be included.

What are the plans?

I am intending to put together a booklet for the event. This can be in Word or Publisher (I prefer Publisher but not everyone has access to that application) or I am hoping to get it converted to a pdf file for easy access by everyone. If you have feedback on the format please let me know. I am hoping it can be emailed to all of you, to pass on as a hard copy or email to any parents, players etc who might be interested.

I am interested (looking at the activities/inclusions below) in knowing what coaches/parents/players think. We are not planning to organise something every day as chess is obviously the main point of the event. We also don't anticipate everyone will want to be involved and that's OK. If you see problems with anything I've proposed, or have some other ideas you have discovered already, or suggestions for timetabling the proposed activities etc - please pass them on. I will be in Mt Buller in December for the schools comp. If I know what people are interested in, I can follow things up in December so we are organised and running in January.

What will be in the booklet?

Web addresses for the event including the web address for the tournament itself, the Mansfield-Mt Buller Tourism site, the main Mt Buller site, the Mercure site and other sites with good and detailed info about the region.

Important contact details and info about facilities. For example details of ATM facilities, doctors, pharmacy, post office, internet access points.

Shopping. The Mt Buller supermarket is closed in Summer with the nearest supermarket in Mansfield. The Arlberg Hotel operates a mini-mart in Mt Buller and I will be asking them for details of the range of items in the mini-mart so people know what they can pick up without the trip to Mansfield.

Dining. Details of those restaurants etc open in Mt Buller in Summer, their opening hours, sample (or full) menu, price range etc.

Mercure facilities. Details of those facilities and activities available exclusively to people staying at the Mercure.

Maps. A copy of the Mt Buller Village map.

Walking Map. A copy of the Mt Buller map of walking trails and information about the self-guided walks.

Day trips. Details about the Mansfield Zoo and other places we can identify which might be of interest for families looking for a day trip. Also possible places for a coordinated trip on a rest day for those children not playing in the Rapid or Lightning events. For example, the social committee may be able to coordinate the empty seats in cars so that more people can have an outing even if they don't have their own transport. Or to book the shuttle (at own cost) to transport those families to an activity like this. Other options I have already been looking at include a trip to the outdoor cinema on Saturday night at the Pinnacle Valley Resort.

Free activities. Details of open spaces, sports areas, playgrounds, BBQs etc in the area. Identifying accommodation booked (outside of the Mercure) where it may be possible to coordinate a "board games afternoon" or card games or similar. Perhaps a larger lodge where the guests may be happy to host that sort of event if they have a large common room or dining hall.

Paid activities. A "sign-up" system where we can coordinate bookings for use of paid facilities and activities such as those offered by LaTrobe Uni. We can advertise a price, minimum numbers required, maximum numbers required etc for an activity. This can include use of the climbing wall, abseiling, guided walks (including an evening children's spotlight walk), mountain biking, roller blading and hire of courts for basketball, tennis etc. The social committee would take names and payment, making refunds where minimum numbers can't be met.

Movies. LaTrobe runs a movie theatre. It is possible to request particular films (provided we give them sufficient notice). These are current, new release movies so not old DVDs. This runs once weekly in Summer with discounts for group bookings (which we could coordinate). It's also possible to run additional screenings for a fixed fee. The fee would require about 70 kids to want to see a movie (or to pay more to see a movie) to cover the cost but I will see if anything can be negotiated and the minimum number we can get away with and be viable.

I'm sure there are lots of other things (even things i know about but have forgotten to include) - so over to you. Do these suggestions look good? Are you interested in being involved personally, or have a parent willing to be involved? Even if you don't, do you want to be kept in this particular loop for info about Mt Buller and do you see an actual need for this sort of information and planning?

Happy to hear from anyone, and looking forward to the event. :cool:

Libby Smith
President
ACT Junior Chess League

arosar
18-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Listen, I'm going to make a one-off suggestion OK.

When I received the NZ brochures, the organisers had also included tourist brochures. These basically provided info on spots to see, accomodation, available activities, etc. You coulda done this for Mt Buller. I imagine there'd be numerous brochures available down there and so it wouldn't have cost extra in printing - only perhaps in postage fee for the extra weight.

But it's not too late see. Start gathering these brochures now. When attendees arrive in Mt Buller, hand these brochures out. You follow what I'm trying to say here?

AR

Libby
18-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Listen, I'm going to make a one-off suggestion OK.

When I received the NZ brochures, the organisers had also included tourist brochures. These basically provided info on spots to see, accomodation, available activities, etc. You coulda done this for Mt Buller. I imagine there'd be numerous brochures available down there and so it wouldn't have cost extra in printing - only perhaps in postage fee for the extra weight.

But it's not too late see. Start gathering these brochures now. When attendees arrive in Mt Buller, hand these brochures out. You follow what I'm trying to say here?

AR

Hi Arosar

Yes - I have already been sourcing these sorts of tourist brochures. Perhaps as a demonstration of the "not all that much to actually do syndrome" they are fairly chock-a-block with accommodation options and it doesn't look good (for my life expectancy) for me to circulate anything with references to alternative accommodation options :D

Yes - we could just hand out a few brochures but there is a lot to be said for a central source of this sort of info which I am not planning to print - just to circulate to others who may print it if they choose to have a hard copy. Also, contrary to my propensity for long, convoluted posts, I will be aiming for clear, simple presentation of info on not too many pages. Things like maps etc, I expect to cut and paste direct from the Mt Buller versions.

Also, aside from the purely information based content, we are trying to help coordinate activities which may require a group booking, or for which you get a discount for group booking, or for which the car-less might want help with transport. It's also an effort to promote mixing and mingling (even, for example, with those players attending in the care of he who shall remain nameless). So telling somebody that a facility exists is a pretty small part of what we are aiming for. The juniors also (although not guaranteed) won't be hanging out in the bar enjoying the Lidums products, or shooting pool in the bar, or smoking cigars in the bar each evening as they contemplate their last and upcoming games (or just navel-gaze :lol: ). It's a fairly hypo group of U12s we'll be hoping to amuse.

george
20-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi Libby,

I like your sense of humour - I think we are all going to have a ball and hopefully play good chess.

Cheers
George Howard

george
20-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi All,

The following person and Organisations are NOT I repeat NOT involved in the Organising of the Schools Finals,Open or Junior at Mt Buller:

David Cordover
Chess Kids
Chess World

Regards to ALL
George Howard
Main Organiser
Mt Buller Chess Tourneys

bobby1972
21-10-2004, 11:05 AM
are the number of players due to price of accommodation going to be the lowest in history of the open

jenni
21-10-2004, 11:20 AM
are the number of players due to price of accommodation going to be the lowest in history of the open

I almost answered this and said no there are lots of juniors going and then read it properly. Maybe you would like to post this in the open thread, not the junior thread to prevent confusion?

On current numbers I think the juniors is going to have acceptable numbers. In fact the accommodation costs are quite low, as long as you are prepared to show some initiative and look around.

bobby1972
21-10-2004, 11:36 AM
where do you look .rung everywhere but all expensive

jenni
21-10-2004, 11:42 AM
where do you look .rung everywhere but all expensive

sent you a PM

bobby1972
21-10-2004, 12:08 PM
thanks thats very very good

george
25-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi All,
Had inquiries from Sweden and Netherlands in the last day. Families coming to Australia for a holiday with chess crazed kids making serious enquiries about playing in either Open or Junior.

Always nice when I get genuine enquiries from such folks.

George Howard

Libby
29-10-2004, 10:00 AM
The latest news is that two Italian IMs will provide free coaching during the Junior for all players staying at the chalet. The money for this $5000 is coming from the tournament budget (in the $10,000 from Lidums) in what is a complex arrangement of funding.

Hi George

Can you please clarify what sort of free coaching will be available so I can pass on the details to our ACT players.

For example - will it be in the form of private prep & analysis, will it be group coaching or tutorials, and how is that affected by the number of children staying at the Mercure?

On that final point, I guess I am asking (if it is private prep & analysis) how much time can each player expect with the coach?

I hope you can appreciate that more detail is essential for families trying to make informed choices. If this offer is to be weighed up in people's decisions re accommodation and coaching for the event, they need to know exactly what benefits can be expected.

It is also important from the ACT (and I suspect other states) planning perspective. If our players at the Mercure can have free, private prep & analysis a proportion may pull out of our (already arranged) state coaching prep & analysis.

In short - more details please!

thank you

Libby Smith
President
ACT Junior Chess League :cool:

Garvinator
29-10-2004, 12:24 PM
ACT Junior Chess League :cool:
are you saying that the ACT Junior Chess League is cool, or that you are a cool president ;) :lol:

eclectic
29-10-2004, 12:34 PM
are you saying that the ACT Junior Chess League is cool, or that you are a cool president ;) :lol:

given their climate anything in the ACT is cool ... sometimes cold even

:whistle:

eclectic

george
29-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Libby,

I suspect the two IM's will not coach specifically against an opponent because they could then be coaching against someone else staying at the Chalet.

They will coach more on general lines wherever the child feels they need help ie on a particular opening etc and to play over games to give post analysis so that the children can learn. As well the IM's will give lectures on specific topics that the children find interesting or useful to their play.

If the children find it fun they may even play a simul but I believe the IM's will be busy coaching. With the young juniors playing at a different time to older juniors it should be possible to fit most children in at a time that suits.

The IM's WILL be earning their money.

The above is how I see it happening but really its up to what the Juniors staying at Mercure want - we have secured these two coaches and they are there for the children staying at the Chalet to use - the Italian IM's may have their own ideas as well but I think my proposal should fit quite well - of course if a child asks for help to prepare specifically against an opponent not staying at the Chalet I dont see any issue with that happening provided the child comes armed with the variation against which they wish to be prepared.

George Howard

Garvinator
29-10-2004, 01:10 PM
I think the simul idea is a good idea on a couple of days.

Garvinator
29-10-2004, 01:10 PM
given their climate anything in the ACT is cool ... sometimes cold even

eclectic
would that mean that some ppl would get the cold shoulder :P

Libby
29-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi Libby,

I suspect the two IM's will not coach specifically against an opponent because they could then be coaching against someone else staying at the Chalet.

The IM's WILL be earning their money.

The above is how I see it happening but really its up to what the Juniors staying at Mercure want - we have secured these two coaches and they are there for the children staying at the Chalet to use - the Italian IM's may have their own ideas as well but I think my proposal should fit quite well - of course if a child asks for help to prepare specifically against an opponent not staying at the Chalet I dont see any issue with that happening provided the child comes armed with the variation against which they wish to be prepared.

George Howard

Call me naiive but I still find myself wondering why we want to continue to promote our premier junior event, and the sponsorship of the event, and the facilities and benefits of our event, in this "them-and-us" way. :wall: When we have a McDonalds sponsorship - will we all have to eat a Big Mac for lunch to benefit from the coaches and events it sponsors?

I may be a loony lefty but I don't like where this goes, where future events may go and how the benefits and subsidy of our Championship could force people into making judgements on the fun and affordability of competing in the future. Remember - you are asking my family (as an example only) for an extra $900 in the interests of Australian Chess.

I don't have a long history at Aus Juniors but the short history has involved cheap and cheerful stays at fun & sociable events where any social or special activities were conducted for the benefit of all participants. Every child was free to mix with any other child and could play tennis with each other, some basketball, go for a swim, go down the beach etc etc. They didn't have to make a judgement about whether or not their friend was "suitable" to be asked to play.

And if the choice of venue and sponsor has created this situation (and remembering that not every child could fit into the Mercure even if they wanted to), then is this the right way to conduct the event in future? Is this what we want? Because it is a very big departure from my past experiences.

They will coach more on general lines wherever the child feels they need help ie on a particular opening etc and to play over games to give post analysis so that the children can learn. As well the IM's will give lectures on specific topics that the children find interesting or useful to their play.

If the children find it fun they may even play a simul but I believe the IM's will be busy coaching. With the young juniors playing at a different time to older juniors it should be possible to fit most children in at a time that suits.

Thank you for these details George - I will pass them on. I suspect this remains a bit non-specific for our players, especially as it is very hard to know how many children will be working with 2 IMs (for example , each ACT coach has 6 players to look after), so it's a bit hard to assess how much face-to-face time you might get. In my experience, many children enjoy a simul but they can require a very long time to complete depending on the number of participants. I'm sure those at the Mercure will benefit from any tutorials etc. When you have some dates/times can you please pass them on? I will give details to all our ACT players but also look at some options from the social committee for the other children to participate in at those times.

jenni
29-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Call me naiive but I still find myself wondering why we want to continue to promote our premier junior event, and the sponsorship of the event, and the facilities and benefits of our event, in this "them-and-us" way. :wall:
I also believe that a "them" and "us" attitude is being promoted. We have already seen from the Schools comp that it is impossible to fit 96 kids and their supporters into the Mercure - thus it is impossible for the Mercure to accommodate all the participants in the Aus Juniors.

The organisers should be creating an environment in which all competitors are equal. Those people who want to stay in 4*+ accommodation can get lots of nice ambience, lovely breakfast buffets, indoor swimming pools etc. Those who can't afford it can rough it in lodges. That's the way of the world - you get what you pay for. But should the organisers be creating a wedge by creating chess related things that are for children staying at the Mercure only? Seems very divisive to me.

I will put it on record that my children are being coached by IM Gary Lane at the juniors, so I am not writing this out of envy for children having access to I am sure very talented Italian IM's. :)

arosar
29-10-2004, 06:55 PM
I will put it on record that my children are being coached by IM Gary Lane at the juniors, so I am not writing this out of envy for children having access to I am sure very talented Italian IM's. :)

Yeah, but have these Italians ever beaten GM Nigel Short?

AR

Libby
29-10-2004, 07:47 PM
The organisers should be creating an environment in which all competitors are equal. Those people who want to stay in 4*+ accommodation can get lots of nice ambience, lovely breakfast buffets, indoor swimming pools etc. Those who can't afford it can rough it in lodges. That's the way of the world - you get what you pay for. But should the organisers be creating a wedge by creating chess related things that are for children staying at the Mercure only? Seems very divisive to me.

I think that's really the point - normally, I wouldn't expect to share the facilities and benefits on offer at any hotel other than the one I stayed in. However, when official & sponsored parts of the event are conducted in a particular venue to exclude a section of the player population - I think things are going the wrong way.

However, this is only an opinion. I'm sure there are many benefits :rolleyes: to conducting the event in this atmosphere. And valid commercial reasons too.

It may also be useful to do some formal polling of those players actually staying in the Mercure to determine that they even know of this offer (I missed it in the entry brochure) and to see what they require. Those ACT children at the Mercure (and there are at least 7) include children who have organised prep & analysis with an ACT coach. I imagine other states have as well. Some planning might be required to make the most effective use of the $5000 IMs. It is quite a signifcant investment. Which, of course, is great for (some of) the future of Australian chess.

george
30-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Libby,

Yes you are right you dont know about the complex funding involved.

The Mercure Grand Chalet is paying heaps of money to bring out the Italians - the tournament budget is not - the Chalet is also paying for their accomodation , food spending money etc.

Therefore they want these Italians to give their clients value added and thats exactly what is going to happen - part of the proposition in bringing out these Italians was the tournament to pay for coaching - the money for which has come from additional sponsorship.

People will get what they pay for - I made this Italian deal very very plain months ago - if you want clarification email me direct not give an inaccurate perception on the BB.

All participants and families are clients of mine if you like - the only clients the Mercure have are those who stay at the Mercure Grand Chalet although they have as you know decided to be generous with Schools and I am sure in many areas to come. I am sick of this nonsense we live in a society where you get what you pay for - children not staying at the Chalet Im sure will have a ball and a great tournament.

As you say many states / territories have there own coaches. I feel you and all the states territories should all share their coaches with everybody else otherwise YOU are creating an US and THEM - see how silly the argument is!!

George

george
30-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick note - some juniors are bypassing the Hospitality Textiles Tony Colyer Pty Ltd Australian Junior Chess Championships and entering the Lidums Australian Open Chess Championships instead which on the one hand seems regretable but nevertheless understandable considering the field they will have access to in the Open.

Hopefully some children can play both - the energy children have is phenomenal (in some ways I wish I was 14 again and getting into chess all over again but my parents couldnt afford coaches for me unlike children these days seem to have access to state coaching NECG Elite coaching - its fantastic).

George

Libby
30-10-2004, 07:16 PM
People will get what they pay for - I made this Italian deal very very plain months ago - if you want clarification email me direct not give an inaccurate perception on the BB.

All participants and families are clients of mine if you like - the only clients the Mercure have are those who stay at the Mercure Grand Chalet although they have as you know decided to be generous with Schools and I am sure in many areas to come. I am sick of this nonsense we live in a society where you get what you pay for - children not staying at the Chalet Im sure will have a ball and a great tournament.

George

Hi George

All along I feel my arguments and concerns are being misunderstood or glossed over. In a nutshell - it comes down to the venue. We have no choice, if we plan to have our children play the Australian Juniors, other than to go to Mt Buller. I completely understand the argument about getting what you pay for. The difference when I stayed in the dorms at Adelaide and Perth, was that I had a range of public access facilities to choose from. I stay somewhere cheap without a pool, that's OK, I can still catch a tram to the beach or a bus to the public pool. The Adelaide venue, in particular, was fantastic for ALL the players because every kid could bring their racquet and play tennis on the school courts, or play some informal basketball in the gym. Many of us would bump into one another in the afternoon at the beach. And these activities weren't costing us any court hire fees, and weren't limited to those staying on-site at the school.

So I am trying. And I think you know I am trying, to find some activities for the kids to do. We are there for almost 2 weeks and every U12 will have a full afternoon (bar coaching) to fill. I have the pamphlets for the bushwalks (with lots of reminders about sticking to the trails and behaving responsibly in the environment). The Museum lady tells me the kids may spend about 5mins to view the displays. The public tennis courts are $15/hr (outdoor) and $25/hour indoors. LaTrobe can offer very little as it seems they have few staff available in January so don't necessarily have all their facilities open (unless you want to pay a staff member for the full day). They didn't answer my questions about public parkland, BBQs, playgrounds or open spaces suitable for sports (for which I plan to bring equipment) so I am still following that up.

I am still waiting for more info from the Mansfield-Mt Buller tourist office for activities away from Mt Buller (but in the region) and details of the public facilities in the town itself.

As you say many states / territories have there own coaches. I feel you and all the states territories should all share their coaches with everybody else otherwise YOU are creating an US and THEM - see how silly the argument is!!

I'm not sure whose argument is silly. The ACT kids are paying for their own coaching with some support from their state association. The Italian GMs are engaged as part of an arrangement that I thought was sponsorship of the event in which every child is a participant. I had this impression from
The latest news is that two Italian IMs will provide free coaching during the Junior for all players staying at the chalet. The money for this $5000 is coming from the tournament budget (in the $10,000 from Lidums) in what is a complex arrangement of funding. Obviously, if in reality it is value-adding from the Mercure, then they obviously have no commercial need or reason to spread that offer more widely. To be honest - I don't really give a toss on a personal level. I guess I would have preferred (and acknowledge I have no say) to see a couple of all-inclusive lectures included in the package where any child playing in the event might have the opportunity to listen to, and ask questions of, some international visitors. This is not about my child getting anything special, it's just about running an event with the appearance of including everyone.

I am sick of this nonsense
Thank you for the respect you have shown for my input. Some might suggest it is all I deserve I guess :rolleyes:

children not staying at the Chalet Im sure will have a ball and a great tournament.

I'm sure we will. We'll just have to call a truce and agree to disagree on ways in which this may be accomplished.

Libby :)

jenni
30-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick note - some juniors are bypassing the Hospitality Textiles Tony Colyer Pty Ltd Australian Junior Chess Championships and entering the Lidums Australian Open Chess Championships instead which on the one hand seems regretable but nevertheless understandable considering the field they will have access to in the Open.

George

This has always been the case. The adult world has consistently placed more value on results in the Open than in the Juniors (see controversy last year over the junior selections). Thus if a junior has to make a choice over which tournament to play in, the more ambitious ones choose the open. The juniors in some ways is a harder tournament - lots of kids with talent but shaky opening theory, can often be a minefield.

My kids have always opted for the juniors - as Gareth says, he only has a few years to play the juniors, he has his whole life to play the Open.

Garvinator
30-10-2004, 08:30 PM
The adult world has consistently placed more value on results in
the Open than in the Juniors
This is because the Australian Open is the strongest tournament we have in Australia. So achieving a very good result in the open should have alot more 'value' than doing well in the Australian Junior Championships.

Thus if a junior has to make a choice over which tournament to play in, the more ambitious ones choose the open.
Juniors could also choose to play in the open for the opportunity to play against titled players more often, hence getting to play against players alot stronger than themselves. This would apply in particular to the juniors who would be top seeds in the Australian Junior Championships.

Kerry Stead
30-10-2004, 11:15 PM
This is because the Australian Open is the strongest tournament we have in Australia. So achieving a very good result in the open should have alot more 'value' than doing well in the Australian Junior Championships.
Although that may be treu on paper, the Australian Juniors is a very tough tournament to win! With the Open, just because strong players play in it doesn't necessarily mean that kids will play strong players (let alone get results against them).

Juniors could also choose to play in the open for the opportunity to play against titled players more often, hence getting to play against players alot stronger than themselves. This would apply in particular to the juniors who would be top seeds in the Australian Junior Championships.
Again, titled players have a limited value. As for the players at the toip end of the junior seedings, they have probably already played (and in some cases beaten) titled players ... of the recent champions, I know Tomek Rej has a draw (possibly a win) against Ian Rogers and Denis Bourmistrov has a win against Darryl Johansen to his credit.

jenni
30-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Although that may be treu on paper, the Australian Juniors is a very tough tournament to win! .

Even more so this year I think - there just seems to be a large no of strong kids and no clear candidate. While someone might come in and dominate, I suspect it is going to be a tournament where the lead changes often.

Libby
01-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi all - just a copy of an invite sent to Richard G-H and Charles Z for anyone who might want to grab a seat on a direct bus from Canberra. :)

The ACT have organised a small (24 seat) bus to Mt Buller & return (from Canberra). Departing on Monday 10/1 and returning on Saturday 22/1 with an early departure (ie before the Porsche Rally road closure).

We are travelling with Bensley Bus & Coach. The bus is air conditioned and has a luggage trailer. I am told to expect a trip of around 7 hrs.

We have 4 vacant seats to travel to Mt Buller, and 3 vacant seats for the return trip. The cost (per seat) is currently $44 each way. This is cost only, we are not running this for profit.

However, more bookings will reduce the individual price. If we fill the empty seats it will only cost $37 each way.

So I thought I'd let you know in case you have any stray players who might like a seat or find it easy to get to Canberra for the trip rather than fly into Melbourne & catch a taxi/bus/shuttle etc from there.

Libby

Garvinator
01-11-2004, 01:28 PM
rather than fly into Melbourne & catch a taxi
i dont think there will be too many people who will take this option ;)

Libby
01-11-2004, 01:29 PM
i dont think there will be too many people who will take this option ;)
except perhaps to get from the airport to Spencer St, then to catch the bus, then to catch the shuttle :P

Candy-Cane
03-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey i have 1 question.

Why are the time limits so short?

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey i have 1 question.

Hello Candy cane, what do you mean, time controls so short?
The u18 time controls is 90 minutes plus 60 seconds per move from move one.
The u12 time controls is 60 minutes plus 60 seconds per move from move one.

eclectic
03-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey i have 1 question.

dear miss cc

the organisers probably think that juniors would not have the mental endurance to require 90 / 60 and could also do with the extra hour sleep each night

;)

eclectic

skip to my lou
03-11-2004, 06:52 PM
How old are you Garvin?

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 06:52 PM
dear miss cc

the organisers probably think that juniors would not have the mental endurance to require 90 / 60 and could also do with the extra hour sleep each night

;)

eclectic
already answered with 90/60 for the u18's.

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 06:53 PM
How old are you Garvin?
27, why do you ask?

skip to my lou
03-11-2004, 06:54 PM
27, why do you ask?
Just curious. Where do you work?

eclectic
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM

ah gg
re reply to cc
must have gone to u12 section in brochure without realising
hope she won't cause a rebellion to have open tc made into 120 90

eclectic

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 07:00 PM
ah gg
re reply to cc
must have gone to u12 section in brochure without realising
hope she won't cause a rebellion to have open tc made into 120 90

eclectic
that was my thought as well. Dont need any more hand grenades thrown at buller :doh:

Candy-Cane
03-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh no i was perfectly looking at the u/18 controls-too short!

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 07:05 PM
why do you think the 90/60 is too short?

The 90/60 time control is governed by acf tournament by laws, so it would require an acf motion to change it if I remember correctly.

eclectic
03-11-2004, 07:06 PM

there's no pleasing some around here ...

:confused: :wall: :hand:

;)

eclectic

Candy-Cane
03-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Wasn't it longer b4?

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Wasn't it longer b4?
2003 australian junior and 2004 australian junior were ran at 90/60. I am surprised that you say it is a short time control.

For forty moves, that time control equals 130 mins, which is longer than the classical time control of 40/120.

For sixty moves, that time control equals 150 mins, which is just half an hour shorter than the classical time control of 40/120 then 20/60.

If the game was say 100 moves, you get a one minute increment instead of the 15 mins plus 30 seconds (after move 60) of the current classical time control.

jenni
03-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Wasn't it longer b4?
The first aus Juniors you played was in Morwell in 2000 and that had 40 moves in 120 minutes + 60 min to finish i.e. 6 hour sessions. I can't remember what was used in Canberra in 2001 (old age is catching up with me), but I am pretty sure after that 90 min + 60 secs was used for the under 18, so you would have played this before. It sounds a lot faster (and does seem to have a tendency to lead to faster games), but you can still get a very long game with it. After 40 moves you will have 130 minutes available, so actually more time than at the old time control, but you don't have as much time to finish the game. If you used 110 minutes for 40 moves, and then took another 30 moves to finish, you would have 50 minutes to do it. So lots of time to think, but a bit more management of time required.

Garvinator
03-11-2004, 09:11 PM
The first aus Juniors you played was in Morwell in 2000 and that had 40 moves in 120 minutes + 60 min to finish i.e. 6 hour sessions. I can't remember what was used in Canberra in 2001 (old age is catching up with me), but I am pretty sure after that 90 min + 60 secs was used for the under 18, so you would have played this before. It sounds a lot faster (and does seem to have a tendency to lead to faster games), but you can still get a very long game with it. After 40 moves you will have 130 minutes available, so actually more time than at the old time control, but you don't have as much time to finish the game. If you used 110 minutes for 40 moves, and then took another 30 moves to finish, you would have 50 minutes to do it. So lots of time to think, but a bit more management of time required.
that sounds similiar to my answer ;)

eclectic
03-11-2004, 09:29 PM

great minds think alike but perhaps jenni is more on candy's wavelength

;)

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
03-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey i have 1 question.

Actually the time controls are the same as they were the past couple of years.

Bill Gletsos
03-11-2004, 11:18 PM
It was first used in 2002 when it was held in Sydney.

Candy-Cane
04-11-2004, 10:03 AM
no I played in QLD 1999.

Candy-Cane
04-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Are you insulting my intelligence eclectic?

jenni
04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
no I played in QLD 1999.

Ah sorry - that was the one I boycotted - Hervey Bay. They had doubled up rounds that year and as a point of principle we refused to go, because I said if it happened once, it would continue to happen and of course it has. Even I no longer worry about doubled up rounds they have become a fact of life. They do introduce a fascinating random effect to the Aus Juniors. Often a contender blows a round on a doubled up day due to tiredness....

Even after 5 years, Shannon still has the occasional whine about not being allowed to play in Hervey Bay. However principles (even pointless ones), sometimes have to come first. :)

jenni
04-11-2004, 10:34 AM

Yes I started answering candy-cane and then got called away to motherly duties, came back finished and posted, only to find it was a case of snap. :)

eclectic
04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Are you insulting my intelligence eclectic?

me? ... :eh:

never! ... ;)

:cool:

eclectic

george
05-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi All,

I am getting an increasing number of enquiries relating to staying at the Mercure Grand Chalet concerning the free coaching of all children by two Italian top coaches - one a WGM/IM and the other an IM. People are calling surprised that this is being offered - it is but once the Chalet is full the offer of free coaching is strictly limited to the clients of Mercure Grand Chalet.

The two coaches are being well paid from other than tournament funds to provide a value-added incentive as if you needed one to stay at the Chalet.

George Howard

Feldgrau
06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Ah sorry - that was the one I boycotted - Hervey Bay. They had doubled up rounds that year and as a point of principle we refused to go, because I said if it happened once, it would continue to happen and of course it has. Even I no longer worry about doubled up rounds they have become a fact of life. They do introduce a fascinating random effect to the Aus Juniors. Often a contender blows a round on a doubled up day due to tiredness....

Even after 5 years, Shannon still has the occasional whine about not being allowed to play in Hervey Bay. However principles (even pointless ones), sometimes have to come first. :)

And Hervey Bay rates as the best junior tournament I have attended in 16 years of doing so.

Principles still need to come first however :)

FeldGrau

jenni
06-11-2004, 10:23 PM
And Hervey Bay rates as the best junior tournament I have attended in 16 years of doing so.

Principles still need to come first however :)

FeldGrau

Was it? Most of the juniors felt that Morwell, the following year was the best one ever. As an adult, it wasn't high on my list - at least 1/2 hour's drive to a decent super market and absolutely no-where to go! However the kids thought it was just fantastic and even now talk about it. Everyone used to go swimming in the indoor swimming pool in the morning and mass basket ball games and tennis in the afternoon. (and Laura Moylan being pushed around in a shopping trolley one night).

Were you at Morwell (Churchill)? I don't think so, but then I am not totally sure I know who you are!

I think Sydney in 2002 is probably my favourite - it was in a nice schools environment. There was a good field for the kids to play soccer on and an indoor basketball court they could use. Roly and Charles were fantastic children friendly Dops (even bringing in a soft toy collection one day!) and Marge Lip and others ran an incredible canteen. The playing hall was good and no parents were allowed in, which was a plus for the kids. However you could look down from the top, so could sit and watch games if you wanted to. It was also walking distance to Double Bay and Tony and I found a bakery with seriously nice toasted foccacia, so could get the kids started and then walk off and have a nice children free lunch. :)

Libby
08-11-2004, 10:46 AM
hi all,

Some parents are starting to realise the value of staying at the Mercure Grand Chalet during the Junior.

The free coaching available ONLY to children staying at Mercure will guarantee I think a full Mercure Grand Chalet for the Junior. SO parents fair warning - if you want your children to stay in luxury at a very discounted rate and receive FREE coaching from two world class coaches book at the Mercure for the Juniors NOW!!!

George Howard

Thanks George

I have circulated the details you provided re the structure (?) and format (?) this coaching will take but I suspect it was still a little vague on detail as I don't think we have actually had anyone change arrangements yet on this basis.

Can I suggest (again) that the Forum is not really where people come looking for details of this kind of value-adding anyway? The brochures were nice to look at but ACT people were expecting to find some stuff about the venue (and probably the Mercure and things to do at Mt Buller) in the booklet. Short of that, few ACT parents come to the Forum looking for stuff and most have gone to the mtbullerchess site and have had trouble finding what they are looking for, or have not come away knowing more than they started with.

If you can give me any details of what the Chalet will offer (I know about the pool & gym) I am, and have been, passing that on. I remain a bit curious about the extent of FREE coaching players will receive if, in fact, you are heavily booked at the Chalet - say 60+ players and two coaches? My interest in more details might look pedantic (or troublemaking) but sometimes it's a lot easier to sell people a proposal if it has the appearance of being completely thought through and has some kind of structure. Believe me, it is in my interests to fully inform ACT peoiple on what they are going to get at the Mercure or what they will miss out on by staying elsewhere. If I don't pass on that sort of info, I only look bad as the organiser of our team.

if you want your children to stay in luxury at a very discounted rate and receive FREE coaching from two world class coaches book at the Mercure for the Juniors NOW!!!

I'll just make the point, for the umpteenth time, that much as I might prefer the luxury accommodation option, and I'd love my daughter to meet and spend time with world class coaches, my lack of an extra $900 makes me a bad parent :wall: By all means, advertise the positives - and I will pass on the details to all the ACT people - but PLEASE leave off trying to make people look bad, or guilty, for their choices.

Libby

Brian_Jones
08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey Libby. Forget the free coaches. Stick to coaches who can speak english and relate to the kids. Preparation should be carried out in the weeks and months leading up the Championship not the night before. My own kids played in the Australian Juniors successfully and if Kasparov himself had been available I would have refused his help!

Libby
08-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey Libby. Forget the free coaches. Stick to coaches who can speak english and relate to the kids. Preparation should be carried out in the weeks and months leading up the Championship not the night before. My own kids played in the Australian Juniors successfully and if Kasparov himself had been available I would have refused his help!

Thanks Brian - totally agree. Although I think it's always nice for kids to get to meet leading players, the way they like to meet top cricketers or footballers if that's what they like to play. I guess that's why I would have seen some value in the chance for ALL the kids to listen to them run some lectures or Q&A sessions. :rolleyes:

However, wearing my other hat, as ACTJCL President and the person who has done most of the organising for our team, it's important to let all the players (and particularly their parents) know what they may or may not be getting or missing out on. People place value on different things and the last headache I need is a bunch of people grumbling at me about how it's my fault they chose A over B because I never explained to them exactly have good A or B might be.

Libby

Candy-Cane
08-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Oh yes QLD was the BEST!!!!

VIC was in a hole last time!!!

Garvinator
08-11-2004, 04:34 PM
cant resist this one, i can absolutely assure you that this Australian Junior wont be in a hole ;) :lol: :lol:

jenni
08-11-2004, 04:39 PM

Well I guess that was the definite feeling initially. In fact I was terribly embarrassed when we got out of the car at the registration hall and my 8 year old Tamzin looked around and said in a very loud voice audible to many of the locals standing around. "Oh Mummy, its quite pretty - not like the hole you said it would be!"

However by the end the kids did vote it one of the best they had been to in terms of socialising they could do.

jenni
08-11-2004, 04:43 PM
cant resist this one, i can absolutely assure you that this Australian Junior wont be in a hole ;) :lol: :lol:

Well you are right it is as elevated as you can get. :)

However I think in kids terms it is going to have mega hole written all over it.

I have been badgering Libby to find opportunities to repeat the Morwell experience with basketball games or soccer games, but her latest desperate enquiries as to whether there might be an area where kids can get together and play, elicited the response "well no - this is an alpine village you know - we don't have flat spaces....."

jenni
08-11-2004, 04:45 PM

From what I remember you like things like Discos and skating. Libby was trying to put together a roller blading disco for Mt Buller, but I think that is not working out due to a lack of roller blade hire....

Garvinator
08-11-2004, 04:51 PM
"well no - this is an alpine village you know - we don't have flat spaces....."
that is a strange response for what i imagined when I was there, remembering that when I was there was under heaps of snow. I could quite easily imagine quite a few areas where games etc could be played. I do also remembering when we were speaking to the Latrobe ppl that there are outdoor tennis courts etc.

If Kerry ever replies on here, he might be able to help a bit more as he said he did more looking around at the different lodges etc than i did.

Libby
08-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Well you are right it is as elevated as you can get. :)

However I think in kids terms it is going to have mega hole written all over it.

I have been badgering Libby to find opportunities to repeat the Morwell experience with basketball games or soccer games, but her latest desperate enquiries as to whether there might be an area where kids can get together and play, elicited the response "well no - this is an alpine village you know - we don't have flat spaces....."

But they do have one tennis court! :) Emma at the Resort suggested they might come up with a better deal for court hire for us as well.

Actually Emma at Mt Buller Resort Management was quite helpful over the phone and is going to talk to the LaTrobe people about finding ways to make use of their facilities a bit easier. Before I get into any trouble again, she also said the situation with the Mercure is "very strange" and "not what normally happens at all" (re the pool & gym) and wanted to make some overtures on our behalf. I did stress that I thought this was a road well travelled and I had no great desire to stir the pot again so she promised to make "gentle" enquiries. So my hands are clean on this one - all I have done is explain that we are not allowed to use the facilities when she tried to promote them to me.

Sorry Candy-Cane - LaTrobe no longer hire out skates so I had to bin the roller-disco idea. What about a Trivia Night? Before you howl at the dagginess of the concept, we would try to make it fun. Perhaps self-catering (teams of 6? 4 must bring food, 2 bring drinks for their team/table). Teams/tables can be themed (simple - all wear red, all girls, all U12 OR outrageous - rocky horror, togas, whatever). Questions could come from chess, pop culture, lemony snicket, the simpsons. We'd try to score some prizes (free pizzas for the team, movie tickets etc) Would you turn up?

There are coin-operated BBQs in the centre of town (Village Square) and space, I am told, for plenty of people so we might try to schedule a "welcome" BBQ on the Monday evening (BYO). Have a look at www.mtbuller.com.au They have a "Village Square Cam" and the weather looks hideous right now but may improve!

BTW - on the weather, Emma said they have just had some snow and to dress warmly even in summer. She suggested we might wear a t-shirt in the sun but would need a jacket in the shade.

Libby
08-11-2004, 05:10 PM
that is a strange response for what i imagined when I was there, remembering that when I was there was under heaps of snow. I could quite easily imagine quite a few areas where games etc could be played. I do also remembering when we were speaking to the Latrobe ppl that there are outdoor tennis courts etc.

If Kerry ever replies on here, he might be able to help a bit more as he said he did more looking around at the different lodges etc than i did.

I can assure you that the response I received was almost patronising in stressing that they were up a mountain and everywhere is pretty much ski runs so no real call for open spaces for sports. She said there were probably spots where kids could play a bit of cricket or something but not on flat ground - now, should the batsman have to hit up the slope and the bowler run down, or the reverse?

I said to her that a group had been in Buller and the organisers had assured me there were lots of open spaces for sport. She then spent a few minutes trying to work out what areas you might mean but could only really come up with the (paved) village square and surrounds.

I expect the ground looks a bit different when the snow melts ... :doh:

Garvinator
08-11-2004, 05:17 PM
I expect the ground looks a bit different when the snow melts ... :doh:
in your other post, you said that snow just fell recently, so that might want to be, if the snow melts ;) ;) :owned: :owned: :D

Kerry Stead
08-11-2004, 08:53 PM

I do still read the forum Garvin ... I just tend to reply less of late.

On my 'exploration' trips, I mostly walked past the lodges, apartments, etc that were up on the mountain. There seemed to be plenty there, however the question was obviously going to be how many of them were open for business during summer.
As for the areas to play games, being on a mountain one could hardly expect pool table like flatness for a surface, however the area just outside ABOM (which was the end of a ski run, and where the ski hire place is on the mountain) looked like it could be reasonably level (say 5 degree slope), and would be large enough for something like a game of cricket. The base of the taboganning area also looked like it might be reasonably flat when there was no snow, however that area is significantly smaller. Having said all that, I was there when there was snow - I imagine the people up there would have a better idea of what the place looks like without snow.

As for Libby's questions, I'd say for the sake of the fielders, the batsmen (or batswomen) should be hitting uphill - I wouldn't be wanting to chase a ball down a mountain when someone hit a good shot, so every effort should be made to avoid this.
Work committments mean that I can't be on the mountain for very long during the tournament, however if there was a trivia night while I was there, I'd definitely be going ... however I'm no longer a kid, so might not be the target audience you were looking for.

Denis_Jessop
08-11-2004, 09:41 PM
I can assure you that the response I received was almost patronising in stressing that they were up a mountain and everywhere is pretty much ski runs so no real call for open spaces for sports. She said there were probably spots where kids could play a bit of cricket or something but not on flat ground - now, should the batsman have to hit up the slope and the bowler run down, or the reverse?

Hey Libby - in this case you set up the pitch across the slope so that the bowler runs on relatively level ground and a straight drive is more or less predictable. But watch out for on-side and off-side shots and make allowance for possible wombat burrows.

Denis Jessop :doh: :hmm:

Rincewind
08-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Libby - in this case you set up the pitch across the slope so that the bowler runs on relatively level ground and a straight drive is more or less predictable. But watch out for on-side and off-side shots and make allowance for possible wombat burrows.

Sounds like Lords. (Except for the wombat burrows of course). ;)

Libby
09-11-2004, 10:00 AM
however the area just outside ABOM (which was the end of a ski run, and where the ski hire place is on the mountain) looked like it could be reasonably level (say 5 degree slope), and would be large enough for something like a game of cricket. The base of the taboganning area also looked like it might be reasonably flat when there was no snow, however that area is significantly smaller. Having said all that, I was there when there was snow - I imagine the people up there would have a better idea of what the place looks like without snow.

As for Libby's questions, I'd say for the sake of the fielders, the batsmen (or batswomen) should be hitting uphill - I wouldn't be wanting to chase a ball down a mountain when someone hit a good shot, so every effort should be made to avoid this.
Work committments mean that I can't be on the mountain for very long during the tournament, however if there was a trivia night while I was there, I'd definitely be going ... however I'm no longer a kid, so might not be the target audience you were looking for.

Hi guys

I'm sure we'll find some spots for a bit of "tip & run" action and I will be there in December when (no snow permitting) I should be able to check things out. Jenni has asked me to bring sports equipment for the Schools events. Something (owing to misspent younger days) we have a lot of in this house. Unfortunately too much sport has led to tendonitis and all sorts of overuse problems in almost every joint of my body so it's all gathering dust in the shed whilst I gather girth. Having spent past years as a junior sports coach & organiser I am a bit careful about supplying equipment for unsupervised use, or inappropriate (belt someone over the head) use or even just unsafe use because the ground is too uneven, too small, etc etc for the activity.

Plus I like to over-organise :D

Re the trivia night Kerry - don't feel you'd be an old fogey :eek: I was hoping (if we run one) that it would be able to include parents/coaches etc (we'd throw in some "songs and TV shows of the 80s" type questions - I still have my Duran Duran records). I haven't been a trivia night junkie myself so I'm just not sure if it interests people. I think we can make it a fun function but we still have to check out options like where we could run it. The Breathtaker Spa people have indicated they might be up for donating some pizzas or something for prizes (ie winnning team/best costumed team get a free pizza dinner).

I've been busy chasing the summer restaurants for menus, prices etc. There are a few open over Summer so a few dining choices on the mountain.

Libby

Libby
16-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Can we please have someone post the correct details for whom chqs should be made payable for Aus Junior entry fees? (OK - it may have been done already but I didn't want to trawl through 1500 posts across 5 forums looking for it!)

I have now had contact from 2 ACT parents who feel it is not explicit on the entry forms. Both emailed for details and one was told "it's on the form" but still couldn't find it so guessed to write "Mt Buller Chess" and the other claims not to have had a reply.

I could also guess "Mt Buller Chess" but if someone can confirm - I will let all ACT people know to save the rest sending an email. (BTW - in the time it takes to reply to someone to "look on the form" or "it's on the form" surely it's a bit more helpful to say "please make cheques out to ...." :(

Garvinator
16-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Can we please have someone post the correct details for whom chqs should be made payable for Aus Junior entry fees? (OK - it may have been done already but I didn't want to trawl through 1500 posts across 5 forums looking for it!)

I have now had contact from 2 ACT parents who feel it is not explicit on the entry forms. Both emailed for details and one was told "it's on the form" but still couldn't find it so guessed to write "Mt Buller Chess" and the other claims not to have had a reply.

I could also guess "Mt Buller Chess" but if someone can confirm - I will let all ACT people know to save the rest sending an email. (BTW - in the time it takes to reply to someone to "look on the form" or "it's on the form" surely it's a bit more helpful to say "please make cheques out to ...." :(

Mt Buller Chess or Mt Buller Chess Tourneys - both are fine for the cheques but Mt Buller Chess Tourneys would be preferred (definitely not ACF).

Libby
16-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Mt Buller Chess or Mt Buller Chess Tourneys - both are fine for the cheques but Mt Buller Chess Tourneys would be preferred (definitely not ACF).
Thanx :)

george
19-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi All,

All the entries so far have had cheques made to Mt Buller Chess as on the Entry Form - that is fine or Mt Buller Chess Tourneys whichever takes your fancy.

George Howard

Libby
24-11-2004, 03:31 PM
I guess this is a kind of announcement but I'm obviously not in any official capacity to make announcements.

:D :cool: :owned: :clap: :D :cool: :owned: :clap:

"Facilities at the Mercure Grand Chalet will be available to all guests on the mountain from 3pm - 7pm each day. The General Manager, Peter Richardson, has indicated that they are hoping to organise other activities outside of these times which they will host for a small fee. Peter is also exploring the possibility of a local bus line assisting with transport to the Mansfield Pool.

Peter has been liaising with La Trobe University in the hope of arranging additional children's activities. It would assist if you could provide more details of dates and times for these activities to Peter."

I think - although I'll leave it to our official organisers to correct me - it means we can swim in the pool, use the gym etc. All in the way we had hoped for - during restricted times and after paying an entry fee. A victory for the good guys OR just a victory for common sense, inclusiveness and the creation of a great atmosphere for every child in Mt Buller for the Australian Junior Championships!

"There is a public BBQ available in the Mt Buller Village centre. There is ample space for playing games and the Chalet is looking at purchasing cricket sets, games and balls to hire out. The scenic chair lift will also be operating in January."

A big thank you to Peter Richardson and anybody else involved in these decisions and to the staff at Mt Buller Resort Management and Mansfield-Mt Buller Reservations. They are sending me more info and I will be following up the use of LaTrobe facilities for our group as well.

Not sure what, if any, implications there are for the adult events and corresponding use of facilities.

And if there are more than a few people out there tired of this story - so am I. We don't expect to see thousands crash the Mercure pool & gym every day of the Juniors (at 20 or so degrees it won't exactly be a heatwave enticing us into the water) we just want to have the widest possible range of options available for the players, and all the siblings and family who get dragged along as well.

Libby

george
24-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Hi Libby,

As I have said all the time the Mercure Grand Chalet folks want this to work - Peter has put lots on the line and will continue to do so to make everything successful.

Cold mornings and cold evenings but warm days now and I suspect by January hot days cool to cold nights.

Regards
George Howard

Libby
24-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi Libby,

As I have said all the time the Mercure Grand Chalet folks want this to work - Peter has put lots on the line and will continue to do so to make everything successful.

Cold mornings and cold evenings but warm days now and I suspect by January hot days cool to cold nights.

Regards
George Howard

Yes George, they seem to want to help when approached about this. I must have misunderstood all those times we were told definitely not, absolutely not and the snowball's chance in hell I was led to believe we had of any child not at the Mercure dipping a toe in the water. Was there actually somebody always lobbying on our behalf for this to happen? Because if there was, they certainly never floated the possibility.

PHAT
24-11-2004, 06:56 PM
... they certainly never floated the possibility.

... because the kids were never sunk.

jenni
24-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Yes George, they seem to want to help when approached about this. I must have misunderstood all those times we were told definitely not, absolutely not and the snowball's chance in hell I was led to believe we had of any child not at the Mercure dipping a toe in the water. Was there actually somebody always lobbying on our behalf for this to happen? Because if there was, they certainly never floated the possibility.
Now now Libby! Be gracious in victory. :)

Libby
24-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Now now Libby! Be gracious in victory. :)

Easier to do if you know why you've been fighting the war in the first place. Also when people take the time to say thanks for your time & effort.

Anyway, very tired of chess (as you know). All administrators have to be excused the odd dummy spit ... ;)

george
25-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Hi Libby,

Interesting how you seem to think this is some sort of war where people gain brownie points or something. Earlier I was repeating what I was told by the Mercure Representatives - they have changed their mind - good luck to them its their decision as its their hotel.

If you require a great big medal I will get one made for you!!

I dont really care about who or how , good changes are achieved so long as it benefits the tournament and the participants - however if you require your name to be trumpeted please let me know and I will do so.

Regards
George Howard

Libby
25-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Hi Libby,

Interesting how you seem to think this is some sort of war where people gain brownie points or something. Earlier I was repeating what I was told by the Mercure Representatives - they have changed their mind - good luck to them its their decision as its their hotel.

If you require a great big medal I will get one made for you!!

I dont really care about who or how , good changes are achieved so long as it benefits the tournament and the participants - however if you require your name to be trumpeted please let me know and I will do so.

Regards
George Howard

Thanks George but I'll manage without the medal. No war intended - just a sense that people on our (chess) comittee were interested in helping all the kids have a good time, irrespective of where they stayed, when the event is taken to a location with limited recreational choices. They are kids you know. They don't always appreciate sunsets and bushwalks to the same extent as their adult counterparts and there are lots of people (coming from Canberra anyway) whose lack of a car for personal use will limit their ability to engage in other activities outside of the village. Maybe that's why I've continued to try hard for these things - and not just to come off as the world's biggest b@#$% with an axe to grind.

I'm sure the event will be a great success. Good luck and thank you to you and your committee.

george
25-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi Libby,

I understand about children - I have two adult kids of my own. I had organised some activities for children and I had talked to Roman and Peter but you seem to want to do things on your own so good luck.

George

Libby
25-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi Libby,

I understand about children - I have two adult kids of my own. I had organised some activities for children and I had talked to Roman and Peter but you seem to want to do things on your own so good luck.

George

Thanks (I guess) George. I made an offer to organise a semi-official social committee. This was meant to be a positive contribution and not me launching some tilt for personal glory. I have copied you, and the committee, and every state organiser and coach I know of, on all the emails I have sent and all the info I have been able to obtain.

I have asked for your input, as well as input from all of this group of people. I was certainly aware that we could bring DVDs etc to play in ABOM in the evening but there was little advice of what else may be on offer.

Rather than continue to cause continual headaches for yourself, and the remaining members of your committee, who no doubt have better things to do with their time, I'll tie up the work that I have done and if there's anyone who would like to see it they are welcome to drop me a PM and I will pass it on.

Enjoy the event everyone!

Libby

george
25-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi Libby,

Thankyou for your contribution. You have gathered some great information and stoked peoples imagination as to possibilities. Perhaps a situation of less structure but more available activities might be the way to go - just some thoughts but thanks again. Myself and a couple of chess folk who know kids will organise the activities.

The other Organisers have more than enough work coming up that they dont need extra.

Kindest regards
George Howard

Denis
29-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Hey hey,
I was browsing through the threads and came upon this heated argument. It would probably be more proactive if you brainstormed some ideas instead of trying to bite each others ears off. *smack*

fun fun FUN!
-Paintball
-Clowns :banana:
-Cheerleaders for the top few boards :whistle:
-Make sure the bulletins are interesting, its all we have to look forward to in the mornings, theres nothing more dissapointing then a boring bulletin
-Organized soccer games? State vs state
-A Organized hiring out of sports equipment
-Hiring of a big sized chess set
-Chess simuls after the games for early finishes and spectators
-Drawring competition (who can draw the best picture of the arbiter)
Things that probably not work:
-Chess disco's never work, so why bother :naughty:
-Bushwalking
-Reading of fide. :buttkick:

jenni
29-11-2004, 08:48 AM
-Reading of fide. :buttkick:

Does this mean you didn't enjoy the daily readings from the book of FIDE? I wouldn't have thought an Aus Juniors would be the same without it. :lol:

jenni
08-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Tennis court hire is $15 per hour not too bad if you split the cost among a number of kids. Juniors might want to bring racquets, as the hiring cost is expensive. ($10 per racquet, per hour)

SQUASH COURTS

Half Hour Court Hire $12 per court
Hour Court Hire $20 per court
Court hire includes racquets and ball

I have been told that the cost of the basketball court will be the same. One of the squash courts has been converted to a half court basketball court.

This was a very popular activity in Morwell, where heaps of kids used to play basketball and just hang out in the evenings (generally the older kids).

However a little problem here - I think most of the older kids will still be playing around 6pm, so we really need this to be available a bit longer then 7pm.

I have also asked how they are going to handle mixed Mercure and non-mercure groups, as I think they will want to play together, so what will be the charge in that case.

Also will a mercure person be able to invite non-mercure people to play with them after 7. Hopefully these questions will be considered and a policy developed by the time the juniors get there.

Gareth (who is often quite a serious person), had us in hysterics at dinner, because he said if the teenagers became bored enough, maybe they will go feral (as in Lord of the Flies) and start roaming Mt Buller in gangs and terrorising the population! :eek:

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I have also asked how they are going to handle mixed Mercure and non-mercure groups, as I think they will want to play together, so what will be the charge in that case.

Surely they wouldn't police that too strictly? I reckon if one player is from Mecure they should be allowed to invite guests to play too. I'd be most surprised if there was a 'tennis nazi' on duty, to coin the Seinfeld term.

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Surely they wouldn't police that too strictly? I reckon if one player is from Mecure they should be allowed to invite guests to play too. I'd be most surprised if there was a 'tennis nazi' on duty, to coin the Seinfeld term.
a staff member from latrobe university is employed to 'keep watch' during those hours and yes they are strict with what is allowed. It seems that some ppl have/are struggling with the idea that mercure is a 4.5 star hotel and they take their business seriously.

jenni
08-12-2004, 10:25 PM
a staff member from latrobe university is employed to 'keep watch' during those hours and yes they are strict with what is allowed. It seems that some ppl have/are struggling with the idea that mercure is a 4.5 star hotel and they take their business seriously.

You see - I have no problem with that - I am a businesswoman and if you want to make money you have to be tough in your business decisions.

The bit I have a problem with is a business taking over the Aus Juniors. I have to say I am trying to keep an open mind until I see how the Aus juniors pans out.

Walking around Mt Buller I thought it could end up just fantastic. It is a beautiful area and the kids will be able to wander around and visit each other in the various lodges and hotels. It could be incredibly social. On the other hand if we do end up with people rigidly policing stuff and breaking up social groups and embarrasing kids who have come onto the basket ball court or into the pool to play with friends then it is going to be a fiasco.

At the end of the day only 10 kids out of 160 are going to win titles. The make or break for the rest is how much fun it is. I can almost guarantee that the parents will not want to go back. It is the hearts and minds of the kids that you need to win and you won't with tennis/basketball nazis.

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 10:33 PM
At the end of the day only 10 kids out of 160 are going to win titles. The make or break for the rest is how much fun it is. I can almost guarantee that the parents will not want to go back. It is the hearts and minds of the kids that you need to win and you won't with tennis/basketball nazis.
During the meeting that George, Peter and myself had after the schools, Peter was at pains to point out that unless we fill the chalet completely, then he will have other guests there that he has to take care of as well. This means that the facilities must be available for non chess guests just as much as chess guests. We could possibly be able to run rampant with the pools etc if we fill the chalet then we are the only ones there. I would imagine that if we fill the chalet, then it will be open season on many items (just my thoughts, not official in any way).

jenni
08-12-2004, 10:49 PM
During the meeting that George, Peter and myself had after the schools, Peter was at pains to point out that unless we fill the chalet completely, then he will have other guests there that he has to take care of as well. This means that the facilities must be available for non chess guests just as much as chess guests. We could possibly be able to run rampant with the pools etc if we fill the chalet then we are the only ones there. I would imagine that if we fill the chalet, then it will be open season on many items (just my thoughts, not official in any way).

I perfectly understand his problem. I saw enough of Peter to know that he genuinely wants this to work. I am just not sure that the hotel is going to get filled - hope I am wrong. I couldn't even begin to understand how anyone could have not booked their accommodation for the juniors by now, but I do know that many people do these things at the last minute. I hope there will be a last minute influx to the Mercure and that all the kids will be able to socialise together.

I am not too worried about the pool - I see that as something for the under 12's only and there will naturally be a staggered use. However it is the teenagers that I am worried about. I had visions of getting them together for games of soccer/cricket, but given the lack of available flat areas, I am now thinking it has to be tennis/basketball. Oh well maybe it will have to be computer games at the lodges....

Perhaps we need to organise a number of x-boxes and hubs to connect them. :)

ChessMum
08-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi Garvin

How about the lists of who has entered to play in the above tournaments?

Thanks

ChessMum

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi Garvin

How about the lists of who has entered to play in the above tournaments?

Thanks

ChessMum
i answered your question in reply to your email. I have already posted what i can in the mt buller announcements thread. I am not going to post knowingly inaccurate information to keep ppl happy about how many entrants there have been.

We are doing our best, but we cant provide information we dont have :hand:

jenni
10-12-2004, 01:01 PM
I have booked an outdoors tennis court for 2 hours on the evenings of the 10th, 11th and 12th. They are also going to hold that booking for me for every evening until the 20th and if it is successful, I will make a formal booking for the rest of the tournament. The times I have booked it for is 6:30 to 8:30. I will open up and close up and kids can just drop in as they feel like. If we do end up doing it every night, I might ask some other parents/coaches to help out with running one of the evenings.

I will collect $1 per child who wants to use it and I thought we could get some socialising going. (If I make a profit, I'll spend it on some lollies for the kids, although I am planning to buy some tennis balls as well). Please bring racquets, as they are expensive to hire.

I thought we could get some singles and doubles going, as well as just general mucking around games. An activity for the older kids, after finishing their game and its outside and erergetic.

The tennis courts are about 2 minutes walk from the ABOM and its all flat.

Libby
12-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi All,

The buses have been booked to take all people travelling to the Chess Tourneys by V-line from Mansfield to Mt Buller and then back down the mountain (free to players)basically during the Juniors as Ralph from Wayward Bus Company will perform the shuttle function during the Lidums Open.

I have also organised a shuttle bus during three days of the Junior from Buller 1 hour stay in Mansfield then back (free to participants) these buses have been arranged to facilitate the purchase of food from Mansfield.

Regards to ALL
George Howard

Hi George

Is there a plan for the three days on which they will run? ie Is it possible to tell people when the bus will run back and forth to Mansfield? We have a lot of ACT people coming to Mt Buller by charter bus. Obviously these people were told (as originally promised) that a shuttle to Mansfield would operate every day, or even every second day, so their lack of personal transport wasn't an issue for them. Can I tell them which days it willl run? Or is that still up in the air? I am really not attempting to be pedantic but it can affect things like how much food people bring with them initially etc.

A few people (after the schools) commented to me that the trip between Mansfield & Mt Buller was quite a bit longer than they expected and not an easy drive so I had anticipated the shuttle being well patronised, even by some people with a car who might choose not to drive themselves.

If people (other parents etc) wanted to organise afternoon trips to Mansfield for the u12s (cinema, skate park, pool etc) is it possible to negotiate the use of the shuttle bus for that? Who should we speak to? I am not trying to over-organise anything, just to lay some groundwork so that - should people want to organise something - they know who to contact and what cost might be incurred.

Libby

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 03:28 PM
2005 Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Championships.

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. CHOW, Samuel VIC 2199
2. STOJIC, Dusan VIC 1984
3. OLIVER, Gareth ACT 1931
4. IKEDA, Junta ACT 1916
5. SUTTOR, Vincent NSW 1904
6. JAGER, Jesse VIC 1895
7. LY, Moulthun QLD 1881
8. HU, Jason NSW 1873
9. ILLINGWORTH, Max NSW 1839
10. LATTIMORE, Tor ACT 1829
11. WANG, Zhengbo WA 1798
12. VIJAYAKUMAR, Rukman VIC 1768
13. DONALDSON, Thomas WA 1755
14. STEVENS, Tristan SA 1753
15. HUANG, Justin NSW 1747
16. NEEMAN, Jeremy ACT 1730
17. TSE, Jeffrey NSW 1729
18. LEVIN, Joshua NSW 1677
19. ANDERSON, Daniel C QLD 1673
20. HOANG, Khoi ACT 1650
21. VISWANATH, Ganesh WA 1647
22. VAN HEERDEN, Daniel WA 1631
23. TRAN, Christopher ACT 1596
24. WU, Edwin NSW 1584
25. GUO-YUTHOK, Sherab ACT 1578
26. MAGUIRE, Jesse ACT 1518
27. CHOONG, Yita WA 1501
28. HUMPHRIES, Ryan WA 1495
29. HENDRY, Thomas TAS 1478
30. KERKSAL, David VIC 1389
31. UNG, Thomas ACT 1348
32. CHU, Louis NSW 1300
33. ELDRIDGE-SMITH, Leif ACT 1228
34. SLACK-SMITH, Blair WA 1218
35. ZULFIC, Fedja SA 1211
36. TAYLOR, Paul WA 1178
37. LLOYD, Aidan ACT 1081
38. JOEL, Nathan VIC 1054
39. DALTON, Joshua VIC 1053
40. KENMURE, Jamie VIC 909
41. JONES, Daniel VIC 633
42. SETIABUDI, Allen ACT 567
43. UNG, Josephine ACT 464
44. BERGGREN, Jonaton SWE
45. BERGGREN, Patrik SWE
46. BERGGREN, Markus SWE
47. BOLESON-ROBINSON, Tristan
48. BRIANT, James
49. BROWN, Brody TAS
50. BROWNRIGG, Sam
51. DUNIAM-DOUGLAS, Ethan
52. DYER, Alistair TAS
53. GESUNDHEIT, Zac
54. GREGORIC, Isaiah SA
55. GRIFFITHS, Michael TAS
56. HORTON, Vincent
57. LAU, Aaron VIC
58. LETCHER, Toby VIC
59. LUCAS, Daniel VIC
60. MURDOCK, Themis
61. NG, Nicholas VIC
62. PARKER, Lloyd
63. PRIESTLY, George VIC
64. PRIESTLY, Tom VIC
65. SITCH, William
66. SMITH, Charlie TAS

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 03:30 PM
2005 Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Under 12 Open Division:

1. MORRIS, James VIC 1534
2. XU, William NSW 1502
3. RUSSELL, Luthien QLD 1289
4. CHOW, Justin ACT 1249
5. YUAN, Yi ACT 1241
6. DALTON, Samuel VIC 1239
7. VIJAYAKUMAR, Rengan VIC 1239
8. XING, Edward ACT 913
9. QIAN, Dennish VIC 854
10. MCCOOK, Jake ACT 845
11. BAINES, Casey ACT 842
12. JONES, Benjamin VIC 815
13. FENG, Thomas VIC 798
14. TSUI, Edison NSW 755
15. ANDERSON, Todd QLD 732
16. XING, Benjamin ACT 349
17. BRIANT, James TAS
18. DALTON, Micah VIC
19. IVANIC, Fabian SA
20. TAN, Sue Yean VIC

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 03:32 PM
2005 Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Girls Division:

1. IKEDA, Miona ACT 1298
2. ELDRIDGE-SMITH, Veronique ACT 1266
3. OLIVER, Tamzin L ACT 1182
4. EUSTACE, Sophie SA 948
5. CHIBNALL, Alana ACT 683
6. MCGUIRK, Savannah ACT 402
7. BRIANT, Megan TAS
8. KNAPP, Katrina

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 03:33 PM
2005 Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Under 12 Girls Division:

1. SMITH, Kayleigh ACT 1075
2. GUO, Emma ACT 1060
3. ONG, Lara ACT 843
4. SETIABUDI, Megan ACT

Libby
14-12-2004, 06:15 AM
2005 Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Under 12 Girls Division:

1. SMITH, Kayleigh ACT 1075
2. GUO, Emma ACT 1060
3. ONG, Lara ACT 843
4. SETIABUDI, Megan ACT

I actually had failed to get around to sending Kayleigh's entry as yet (on my ever expanding to-do list this week). Is this an assumed entry or do I have a benefactor?

Also, is my question re the shuttle really too awful to answer? I know people are busy and I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, but I've been asking this question, in varying formats, for ages and if there's a reason people can't tell me the details then OK - but please say so. :wall:

Libby

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 09:50 AM
I actually had failed to get around to sending Kayleigh's entry as yet (on my ever expanding to-do list this week). Is this an assumed entry or do I have a benefactor?
assumed entry, only kidding;) I was given a list of act players and Kayleigh's name was in it. I just seem to be unable to find it at the moment:doh:

Also, is my question re the shuttle really too awful to answer? I know people are busy and I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, but I've been asking this question, in varying formats, for ages and if there's a reason people can't tell me the details then OK - but please say so. :wall:
I will chase up an answer. George has been posting here occasionally and I thought he might answer. Ill get an answer for you.

Denis
14-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I am willing to run a drawring competition throughout the tournament with me and Jesse Maguire as the judges. Every day will be a new theme and submissions will be due by the end of the last game every day.
Entry fee for 10 rounds of drawring is $2 per family of competitors (for prizes). I was going to do it with the Victorian team, but I thought it would be just as much work with everyone in it.
And could you tell me who's doing the bulletins this year I have a few ideas for that, oh yes I do.

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 11:27 AM
And could you tell me who's doing the bulletins this year I have a few ideas for that, oh yes I do.
looks like ill be hearing your ideas, make them good :clap: I am doing the bulletins for the juniors with help of others.

Libby
14-12-2004, 11:41 AM
assumed entry, only kidding;) I was given a list of act players and Kayleigh's name was in it. I just seem to be unable to find it at the moment:doh:

:eek: At this time of year I could always use discovering I had paid for something that i actually hadn't.

Libby
14-12-2004, 11:44 AM
I am willing to run a drawring competition throughout the tournament with me and Jesse Maguire as the judges. Every day will be a new theme and submissions will be due by the end of the last game every day.
Entry fee for 10 rounds of drawring is $2 per family of competitors (for prizes). I was going to do it with the Victorian team, but I thought it would be just as much work with everyone in it.

Hi Denis

I can put some basic info about the competition into the booklet for the players if you like. (I'm just doing stuff about what's on in Mt Buller and surrounds as well as facilities, entry fees for activities etc). Just drop me details if you have them or I'll make up something defamatory and disgraceful instead! :owned:

jenni
14-12-2004, 01:16 PM

Now this has me worried.... :eek:

ratty
14-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Aha.. Nothing like a bit of Denis to spice up a chess tournament.. :uhoh:

I got some other different ideas for entertainment...

* A night of fun where there could be short plays in groups on a topic.. There's always your Moulthun's and your Jason's to make something like this interesting :P (this could be on the rest day so groups could prepare their plays - take a break from chess)
* A tennis tournament - all this talk about fun, what about a tournament? Free pizza or something for the winner(s) -- could be doubles and singles .. maybe even mixed doubles too if you chessers are such risk takers :P
<Maybe this is a biased suggestion as i am a tennis player myself...>
* A public mocking of Denis for suggesting paint ball at Mt. Buller... :owned:
* A mock-adults night... juniors get to pay out the adults with no repercussions!

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 02:53 PM
* A mock-adults night... juniors get to pay out the adults with no repercussions! as long as you are first to be mocked regardless of your age and we adults all get a shot individually.

ratty
14-12-2004, 03:05 PM
as long as you are first to be mocked regardless of your age and we adults all get a shot individually.

Pity you don't even know who I am .. :doh:
... ratty 1, guywhospendshislifeonthisforum 0 :owned:

jenni
14-12-2004, 03:30 PM
* A tennis tournament - all this talk about fun, what about a tournament? Free pizza or something for the winner(s) -- could be doubles and singles .. maybe even mixed doubles too if you chessers are such risk takers :P

All is possible - I have booked the tennis courts for the first 3 nights. 9th, 10th and 11th, just as a social thing. Quite happy to put up a piece of paper in tournament hall for kids to register interest in a tennis tournament. Why don't we make it doubles and they can be mixed or not whatever people want. I will need some help on this as I know nothing about tennis. Maybe you can come up with a format for me James? I can book multiple courts, so we can have more than one match going at a time, although that might end up a bit more expensive than the $1 a kid I was planning to charge for the first couple of evenings.

No pizza parlours that I saw, but I am sure there is something we can substitute.

Denis
14-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Ratty you are too ratty for yourself.

Libby
14-12-2004, 04:40 PM
No pizza parlours that I saw, but I am sure there is something we can substitute.

Several of the places (Arlberg & Breathtaker for example) do have pizzas. I canvassed this when I looked at the Trivia night idea and what I might be able to scrounge as prizes. Winning team gets pizzas for dinner etc.

Most were quite receptive because I proposed their inclusion in the activities booklet - free advertising with no strings. I just trawled the line that in return it might be nice if they might think about the odd free pizza etc for activities we ran. Have not organised anything in concrete but the return contact was quite warm & fuzzy.

ratty
14-12-2004, 05:13 PM
yeah, that would be cool. Basically you need a number of players to the power of 2, (eg. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc) to be able to run one, but 'bye's' can aid in doing this.. stupid forum wont let me do diagrams, lol :mad: so i'll describe the process: (if 8 pairs)

Round 1: 4 matches, A B C & D
Round 2: Winner of A vs Winner of B (AB), Winner of C vs Winner of D (CD)
Round 3: Winner of AB plays winner of CD in final

A doubles tournament, yeah, would be cool :)

Understand that?

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 06:25 PM
yeah, that would be cool. Basically you need a number of players to the power of 2, (eg. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc) to be able to run one, but 'bye's' can aid in doing this.. stupid forum wont let me do diagrams, lol :mad: so i'll describe the process: (if 8 pairs)

Understand that?

I think Jenni knows how to organise a round robin tournament. Anyways Jenni could just use a laptop and sp if Jenni was struggling :doh: I think Jenni was asking more about the rules of tennis and probably someone willing to umpire a tournament.

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 06:42 PM
I have checked with George. Kayleigh hasnt been paid for yet. I found the list of names, from Jenni.

ratty
14-12-2004, 07:11 PM
err ggray im not sure whats up in your head exactly but what i was proposing was clearly not a round robin tournament -- rather an elimination. If it was fun and people enjoyed it there could always be another (each tournament would only take 3-5 days), and in terms of rules, the kids know the rules, any clarifications will be made easily by those with superior knowledge.

skip to my lou
14-12-2004, 07:17 PM

You seriously think someone is going to go all the way to Mt Buller to play a knockout tournament?

ratty
14-12-2004, 07:25 PM
You seriously think someone is going to go all the way to Mt Buller to play a knockout tournament?
Yep.. I'm sure that's what they'd be going for..

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey ratty,

Seems we got off on the wrong foot, you can think what you like of me, that is up to you, but I would see anything to do with tennis or other activities as something that should be kept light hearted and fun. It should be enjoyable for the juniors, not stressful. Of course if some of them want to play hard, that is up to them. But I will be organising fun activities. The children will have plenty of anxiety, tension etc during the two weeks, they dont need any more created by the organising team.

By the way in the spirit of goodwill, how about you send me an email/pm to say who you are. I wont pass it on unless you are cordover aligned :hand:

skip to my lou
14-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Yep.. I'm sure that's what they'd be going for..

What do those people that have been knocked out do? Just sit around and watch?

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 07:51 PM
this must be a record, two goosemaster norms candidates operating at the same time on different threads :eek: :wall: :whistle:

skip to my lou
14-12-2004, 07:53 PM
this must be a record, two goosemaster norms candidates operating at the same time on different threads :eek: :wall: :whistle:

Whos the other one?

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Whos the other one?
dorophil on the improved presentation thread.

ratty
14-12-2004, 08:02 PM
gray.. who said a tournament has to be serious?

It's fun to play matches, and watch the hopeless try and fail... It doesn't have to be anything serious, nor would it be. The pizza prize or whatever would only be to attract a reasonable crowd to participate.

Libby
14-12-2004, 08:25 PM
gray.. who said a tournament has to be serious?

It's fun to play matches, and watch the hopeless try and fail... It doesn't have to be anything serious, nor would it be. The pizza prize or whatever would only be to attract a reasonable crowd to participate.

I have to agree ... unless there's something I'm missing. Being organised does not have to equal being really serious. It just gives the activity a little bit of structure otherwise it often disintegrates (from my experience) into a bunch of drips hogging the court with a lot of giggling and not much tennis. Very frustrating for those who may not win Wimbledon but might like the occasional semi-competitive game. I'm sure organised matches would only be part of what happens with plenty of happily disorganised chaos occupying the rest.

If somebody set up a mini basketball round-robin or knockout I think you'd get some enthusiasm for that too. People seem to be under the impression it has to be totally free-spirited or totally organised like a mini-Olympics when the reality is a happy medium. Being a little organised ensures something actually happens - like Jenni booking the tennis courts and collecting money. Otherwise some kid has to scratch round to find some other kid willing to fork over the court hire fee. It's a bit different if you are somewhere with actual free or public facilities but everything in Mt Buller comes with a price tag, or a "lock-out" clause for some of the kids.

And this has been started by the young people themselves. They probably need to be listened to because the teenage kids from the ACT came back from the Schools and their feedback was pretty universally - "what are we going to do for 11 days in January?" These were unsolicited comments and not a criticism of the schools event, only a slightly despairing whinge after wandering around the village and not finding much.

jenni
14-12-2004, 08:40 PM

Understand that?

Looks pretty easy!

jenni
14-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I have to agree ... unless there's something I'm missing. Being organised does not have to equal being really serious. It just gives the activity a little bit of structure otherwise it often disintegrates (from my experience) into a bunch of drips hogging the court with a lot of giggling and not much tennis. Very frustrating for those who may not win Wimbledon but might like the occasional semi-competitive game. I'm sure organised matches would only be part of what happens with plenty of happily disorganised chaos occupying the rest.

I think we can probably have both - some muck around stuff for the kids who want to just talk and flirt and knock a ball around and the little tournament thing as well. From memory there were 3 tennis courts, so room for all depending on demand and preparedness to pay. The talk and flirt group might be as happy to watch the matches and not take part - we'll just see how we go and what they want to do.

If somebody set up a mini basketball round-robin or knockout I think you'd get some enthusiasm for that too.

Well actually I started hunting for basketball courts to do a similar thing, as my kids are more into basketball than tennis (although Gareth is a bit of a sports freak who likes to do everything). However the only basketball courts are at the La trobe Centre and not open in the evening and the Mercure is probably out of bounds after 7pm, so I was left with tennis. If it does become possible during the tournament ot use the basketball court at the Mercure after 7, we could look at alternating tennis and basketball or something.

Libby
14-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Well actually I started hunting for basketball courts to do a similar thing, as my kids are more into basketball than tennis (although Gareth is a bit of a sports freak who likes to do everything). However the only basketball courts are at the La trobe Centre and not open in the evening and the Mercure is probably out of bounds after 7pm, so I was left with tennis. If it does become possible during the tournament ot use the basketball court at the Mercure after 7, we could look at alternating tennis and basketball or something.

Yep - was actually just running the basketball line as an example. I wasn't quite sure why the little tournament for the tennis was seen as being too serious or competitive or just too organised. Pity there isn't even a ring tacked on to a wall somewhere as kids can play a bit of two-on-two etc if they just have somewhere to shoot the ball. Anybody got the means to bring a portable hoop to Mt Buller? Guess not.

I can't imagine some kind of pseudo Aussie Open suddenly erupting on the mountain but I think your idea of a sign-up sheet would actually allow some matches to occur between those kids who want an actual game of tennis and not just the opportunity to lair around. If nobody signs up, nothing gets organised - no drama. The really keen may take on the actual organisation themselves - ratty? Even the dubious John McEnroe had to make his own line calls as a junior so I don't think you'd need too much expertise personally. Probably the last time he agreed on all those close calls too.

And "organised" tournaments can still be fun Garvin, with even the completely hopeless enticed to join in if there's something like "state-vs-state" honours, fancy dress, handicaps for those with too much talent or just mixed doubles (mixed flirting?) Nobody wants to do something where the kids collapse under the pressure of a double-fault and get whipped all the way home by their bad tennis/chess parent. :)

jenni
14-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Pity there isn't even a ring tacked on to a wall somewhere as kids can play a bit of two-on-two etc if they just have somewhere to shoot the ball.

I did actually ask the Mt Buller Management people if there was just a ring soemwhere (vain hope), but they confirmed that La Trobe and Mercure are the only ones.

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I did actually ask the Mt Buller Management people if there was just a ring soemwhere (vain hope), but they confirmed that La Trobe and Mercure are the only ones.
I am sure if someone has a portable basketball hoop we can organise something up near the tennis courts or at village square.

Libby
14-12-2004, 09:28 PM
I am sure if someone has a portable basketball hoop we can organise something up near the tennis courts or at village square.

That would be great but the post was a bit tongue in cheek. The only ones I've seen (other than the ring you can fix on to the wall) would be pretty bulky to transport. ie comes with the pole, base to make it stable plus the ring on top. I think most of them fold down but I'm not sure how compact they get.

jenni
14-12-2004, 10:38 PM
That would be great but the post was a bit tongue in cheek. The only ones I've seen (other than the ring you can fix on to the wall) would be pretty bulky to transport. ie comes with the pole, base to make it stable plus the ring on top. I think most of them fold down but I'm not sure how compact they get.

We have a portable one, but it is really bulky - mainly because of the length of the pole. Maybe it could fit on the bus the ACT people are hiring, but not in the normal boot.

Garvinator
14-12-2004, 10:43 PM
We have a portable one, but it is really bulky - mainly because of the length of the pole. Maybe it could fit on the bus the ACT people are hiring, but not in the normal boot.
is there a compartment/baggage area underneath the bus? Maybe it could fit in there?

george
15-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi All,

Sounds like a heap of good ideas even from Ratty (how are you ) - when everybody gets up there Im sure they will have a ball. Dont get spooked out by the stuffed heads they are harmless but definitely not to be touched.

I really dont think too many people going up to Mt Buller either for Junior or Lidums Open will ever forget the experience - as the locals have said it snows every month at Mt Buller - it might all be gone by 10.00am but they assurred me it snows every month.

Jenni I havent given up getting you to the peak at 6.00 in the morning to watch the sunrise - perhaps we can ask Graeme really nicely to take a whole bunch of us up to within about two hundred metres of the summit and I assure you Jenni if you are not spiritual (not religious but Spiritual) before you see the sunrise you will be afterwards.

Regards
George

Denis
15-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Thats deep dude.

Libby
15-12-2004, 05:38 AM
is there a compartment/baggage area underneath the bus? Maybe it could fit in there?

Because we're in a smaller bus it doesn't actually have a luggage area underneath. It might just fit in a normal bus. We have a luggage trailer instead. I can check the dimensions but (from experience) I don't think they are long - more like the size of a normal trailer, just deeper and enclosed.

Libby
15-12-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi All,

I really dont think too many people going up to Mt Buller either for Junior or Lidums Open will ever forget the experience - as the locals have said it snows every month at Mt Buller - it might all be gone by 10.00am but they assurred me it snows every month.

Regards
George

Hi George

With respect to the comments after the schools - everyone had a lovely time and thought Mt Buller was a spectacular place to go - for a weekend. This may be seen as my personal hobby horse or something but I can assure you, now coming from the player's themselves, is a level of concern about what they will be doing up there - having been there. That's one reason Jenni has been a bit proactive with the tennis courts and has sent something out to everyone about bringing racquets (given hire is expensive).

If there are other ideas about what will be happening up there for the kids (and I have been sent some details about LaTrobe's plans to be open and offer activities during the day - just doesn't work too well for the u18s) please let us know and we will pass it all on to reassure the players.

It doesn't have to be some huge, professional, over-organised spiel, if you or Garvin can give us some indication of the informal entertainments you think might be on offer we can rev everyone up with the ideas and reassure them (and get them to bring equipment etc if we need to!) They are there for the chess but probably not for every waking hour. Even just a table tennis table (from experience in Perth) can keep people happy for hours!

Libby

arosar
15-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Look, I'm sorry about this but I can't bloody help meself OK! I mean, what's wrong with this picture? It seems like the invitees are having to bring everything else including the friggin' kitchen sink!

AR

Rhubarb
15-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Thats deep dude.This kid's talented right? How old is he? 10? 11?

Garvinator
15-12-2004, 09:23 AM
This kid's talented right? How old is he? 10? 11?
who you talking about?

ratty
15-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Look, I'm sorry about this but I can't bloody help meself OK! I mean, what's wrong with this picture? It seems like the invitees are having to bring everything else including the friggin' kitchen sink!

AR

Ey Amiel, that's only the people who don't want to be complete anti-social geeks such as yourself (no offense intended).

I would agree with Libby in that a table tennis table can be real entertainment, though having only one may course some unpleasant cat fights amongst the u12's... :P

<i'm good thanks george, still stiff from your walk around mt. lofty? ;)>

arosar
15-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Ey Amiel, that's only the people who don't want to be complete anti-social geeks such as yourself (no offense intended).

LOL!

Me, an anti-social geek? HAhahaha. . . . stick your 2 front buck teeth in before you lose 'em! Hahaha . . .

AR

ratty
15-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Me, an anti-social geek? HAhahaha. . . . stick your 2 front buck teeth in before you lose 'em! Hahaha . . .

AR

I think 'Posts:1913' does a fair bit of the talking, big boy :lol:

ratty
15-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi all

An actual SERIOUS post this time.. believe it or not :eh:

In the Important thread of Mt Buller Announcements on the first page Garvin said that accomodation at the Mercure for the Juniors tournament is $90 per room for 3 kids.

The above is news to me (had only heard the figure of $120), and I am seeking DEFINITE confirmation that this is correct. <I am trying to organise accomodation for a guy who is on a very, very tight budget>

Thanks, and in case you were thinking of replying, AR, don't bother.

Garvinator
15-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Hi all

An actual SERIOUS post this time.. believe it or not :eh:

In the Important thread of Mt Buller Announcements on the first page Garvin said that accomodation at the Mercure for the Juniors tournament is $90 per room for 3 kids.

The above is news to me (had only heard the figure of $120), and I am seeking DEFINITE confirmation that this is correct. <I am trying to organise accomodation for a guy who is on a very, very tight budget>

Thanks, and in case you were thinking of replying, AR, don't bother.
i have heard this a couple of times from other ppl too. I will get an answer for you very soon.

A couple of questions though. When you say 120, is there an adult in the room at all, or is it strictly 3 juniors?

Btw if you go to user cp in the top left hand corner of this page, you can make your signature appear in each post without having to type it each time. Also that will mean that when someone quotes your post, your signature does not appear in the quoted section. Would be helpful.

ratty
15-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Ok i hear it's just crap

Thanks for that stupid post, garvin.

Garvinator
15-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Ok i hear it's just crap

Trent Parker
15-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Whilst playing in the minor i'm staying at the Avalanche.

The rate for 5 nights for a self contained appartment is $420 this holds 6-8 people so the more people you have the cheaper it gets!

skip to my lou
15-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Ok i hear it's just crap

hey ratty, stop wasting disk space :D setup your signature in your profile like Garvin has suggested.

Libby
16-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Whilst playing in the minor i'm staying at the Avalanche.

The rate for 5 nights for a self contained appartment is $420 this holds 6-8 people so the more people you have the cheaper it gets!

I think the apartments are all booked at Avalanche for the Juniors but they did have shared rooms as well - very cheap. ie $200 pp for a week.

ratty
16-12-2004, 10:14 AM
gray..

i hear the cheapest rooms you can get for the juniors at the chalet are $120.

<screw a signature, ill fill it out l8r when i can b stuffed>

Garvinator
16-12-2004, 10:19 AM
gray..

i think you need to send an email to George Howard at georgeshoward@hotmail.com as he would be able to provide more information on this matter than i can.

Garvinator
16-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I actually had failed to get around to sending Kayleigh's entry as yet (on my ever expanding to-do list this week). Is this an assumed entry or do I have a benefactor? Kayleigh's entry has been recieved and added to the sp files:D

Update on buses,

A 22 seat bus will run from Mt Buller to Mansfield, stay in Mansfield for one hour then come back on the following dates.

Fri 14 Sun 16 Tue 18.

The buses will leave Buller at 10 am and leave Mansfield for Buller at 12.00

These buses are to provide a food shuttle service and I hope that carers from various states can perhaps get orders for food etc.from each state.
Of course there is the Supermarket Box service where for $3.30 extra they will deliver to Mt Buller a box full of food.
This service can be accessed by fax 57751773 or phone 57752255 or by email foodworksmansfield@reddrop.com.au.
I have a whole pad of orderforms for this service but really ordering what you want paying by credit card then enjoy the food when it arrives is the way to go.

Cheers,

Garvin Gray

jenni
16-12-2004, 11:14 AM
gray..

They certainly were selling some rooms at $90 for 3 kids for the Schools. However they only had some of the smaller rooms set aside at that price. Once they ran out, the rooms went up to $120 a room (which for 3 kids, including breakfast wasn't bad). St Peters ended up having to pay the higher amount and so did my group.

It could well be the same is happening for the juniors.

ratty
16-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Alright, thanks Jenni.

Libby
16-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Kayleigh's entry has been recieved and added to the sp files:D

Update on buses,

A 22 seat bus will run from Mt Buller to Mansfield, stay in Mansfield for one hour then come back on the following dates.

Fri 14 Sun 16 Tue 18.

The buses will leave Buller at 10 am and leave Mansfield for Buller at 12.00

These buses are to provide a food shuttle service and I hope that carers from various states can perhaps get orders for food etc.from each state.
Of course there is the Supermarket Box service where for $3.30 extra they will deliver to Mt Buller a box full of food.
This service can be accessed by fax 57751773 or phone 57752255 or by email foodworksmansfield@reddrop.com.au.
I have a whole pad of orderforms for this service but really ordering what you want paying by credit card then enjoy the food when it arrives is the way to go.

Cheers,

Garvin Gray

:clap: Thanks Garvin! I'll include details in the info booklet. I think the 14th is a rest day? With the Lightning starting at 10am (according to my trusty booklet)? If the Lightning didn't start until the afternoon i think this is a good day for the bus but if it starts at 10am it makes it a bit awkward for older players who may want to shop? Many of them won't actually have a credit card either to phone/fax/email orders. I mean, you can get other people to buy stuff for you but some of these kids don't really know what they want until they see it.

Also (and I know I'm a pain) a rest day would be a great day to spend a bit longer in Mansfield (for non-Lightning players) if people want to go to the cinema or pool there? Can we consider a longer stop-over on a rest day? Or is this not possible due to staffing/vehicle restrictions?

Are shops open on Sunday 16th? Ok - seems a stupid question but some country towns do not have city opening hours. Someone has probably checked but i thought I'd ask.

Also, what happens if you have more bums wanting seats than you have seats? Are there plans to "pre-book" your seat (also would save you doing a shuttle trip with no takers)? All becomes a bit of a drama on the morning if the queue is too long and everybody wants to go.

See - you'll be so glad you don't have to actually put up with me in person :D

Garvinator
16-12-2004, 01:35 PM
:clap: Thanks Garvin! I'll include details in the info booklet. I think the 14th is a rest day? With the Lightning starting at 10am (according to my trusty booklet)? If the Lightning didn't start until the afternoon i think this is a good day for the bus but if it starts at 10am it makes it a bit awkward for older players who may want to shop? Many of them won't actually have a credit card either to phone/fax/email orders. I mean, you can get other people to buy stuff for you but some of these kids don't really know what they want until they see it. I am sure we can either move the lightning to the afternoon or have the bus leave in the afternoon, maybe we could have two buses on that day. It will all be dependant on demand. If no one wants the bus on a particular day, then it wont go. I would say that the times given are a strict guide, but have a small flexibility dependant on demand, weather factors etc etc.

Also (and I know I'm a pain) a rest day would be a great day to spend a bit longer in Mansfield (for non-Lightning players) if people want to go to the cinema or pool there? Can we consider a longer stop-over on a rest day? Or is this not possible due to staffing/vehicle restrictions? Answered above, i think :uhoh:

Also, what happens if you have more bums wanting seats than you have seats? Are there plans to "pre-book" your seat (also would save you doing a shuttle trip with no takers)? All becomes a bit of a drama on the morning if the queue is too long and everybody wants to go. there will be a second bus if we have too many wanting to go. If no one wants to go, the bus goes nowhere.

See - you'll be so glad you don't have to actually put up with me in person :D
I would rather have you there. If you have concerns, you raise them at the time when something can be done about them, instead of waiting till nothing can actually be done to change a situation.

arosar
16-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone,

As mentioned on other forums, there is currently a large airline sale going on across all three airlines.

This sale works perfectly for the junior championships. So now flying from melbourne to your city has gotten a lot cheaper.

See, gray - I'm being good: I am responding here.

Anyway, Hhmmm....mate, I'm not sure I feel comfy with your note - if I were GH or Accor, that is. I'm pretty sure Accor hotels are only partnered with QF. You might want to narrow down. See where I'm coming from? But I dunno. It's sorta complicated, which is why this sorta notes have to be extra careful.

AR

Garvinator
16-12-2004, 04:53 PM
See, gray - I'm being good: I am responding here.

Anyway, Hhmmm....mate, I'm not sure I feel comfy with your note - if I were GH or Accor, that is. I'm pretty sure Accor hotels are only partnered with QF. You might want to narrow down. See where I'm coming from? But I dunno. It's sorta complicated, which is why this sorta notes have to be extra careful.

AR
we are fine to make these announcements on two accounts:

1) There is no exclusivity deal between accor and the current organising team, this means we can promote who we like and help ppl staying away from mercure. That being said, we are first and foremost thinking of mercure's interests as well. It is a difficult balance, that is for sure.

2) The more ppl that attend the events, the more likelihood that they might stay at mercure, especially if they can get real cheap fares from melbourne to their city. The three airlines are offering sales.

Thank you for replying here instead of in the announcement thread :D

Oepty
16-12-2004, 05:34 PM
For those who don't know, if that is anybody, ratty is James Obst whose name interestingly doesn't appear on any entrants list that I have seen.

Garvinator
16-12-2004, 05:39 PM
For those who don't know, if that is anybody, ratty is James Obst whose name interestingly doesn't appear on any entrants list that I have seen.
I have recieved James's entry in the last day or so. When I get access to the website, I will be posting the complete list of entrants again(updated). I am expecting more entries to be given to me by George tonight or tomorrow.

ratty
16-12-2004, 06:15 PM
hmm.. thanks for that freddy... <bastard!>

now i have a mistaken identity! :owned:

bmcguirk
20-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi
Could anyone advise whether late entries are being accepted for the Junior Championships? If so, who do I contact? Email address pls
Cheers

bmcguirk