PDA

View Full Version : Juniors - Kids - teaching

Jay
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Just after some general advice on starting kids out on chess

My girl is 6 and is just learning moves.

I was taught by my dad (at 6) - who had the good 'whatever' to point me to "Chess Made Easy" by Purdy on Koshnitsky ( he threw me the book and said "here start with this" (to his own dismay as I promptly thumped him three weeks later).

Anyway - what are the best tools for teaching kids today? Is Fritz and Chesster worth a try?

- J

BrendanNorman
10-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Fritz and Chesster is very good for kids, and so is the Chessmaster series.

Joining a junior chess club which caters to younger beginners would be great for building confidence, gaining experience and making friends also.

;)

Jay
11-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the advice - will start with the moves first and consider a junior club a little later - we are only talking 6 YO's here.

Will give Fritz and Chesster a try

- J

BrendanNorman
12-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the advice - will start with the moves first and consider a junior club a little later - we are only talking 6 YO's here.

- J

6 years old is a fine age to join a junior chess club...you'd be surprised how quickly kids pick it up.

Ive taught thousands of kids and can tell you from experience.

Most kids even at 6 can be developing their pieces, castling, making basic tactics and checkmates in just a few weeks...especially if playing at home as well.

If you're in QLD, Im pretty sure Graham Gardner does a lot of great work with kids up there...he may well have a club in your area!

BrendanNorman
12-01-2012, 05:04 PM

- J

By the way...from my experience, the optimal order to teach young children the moves is.

1.Rook
2.Bishop
3.Queen
4.King
5.Pawns
6.Knight

There is a reason for this, and i'd be happy to elaborate if you wanna PM me.

;)

MichaelBaron
08-11-2012, 12:23 AM
There are many good beginners books that cover everything...including which piece should be taught first :)

ChessGuru
27-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Ooh, Brendan so close.... :)

Rook, Bishop, Queen, King, Knight, Pawn... (reason being that pawns have one move and different capture....all the others just same move/capture....)