PDA

View Full Version : Queenstown runners / hikers

flukey
07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

If there are any keen trail / ultra runners at the Queenstown Chess Classic, I plan on organising some neat running or hiking adventures.

On 14 Jan I'm thinking of doing an out and back on the famous Routeburn Track ... probably to the Harris Saddle and back so around 28-30ks.

On some other days I will do another shorter run in Dart River, and closer to town the awesome Shotover Moonlight tracks.

I have 3 or 4 spots in the car. Message me if keen.

Cheers
Steve

Tony Dowden
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

If there are any keen trail / ultra runners at the Queenstown Chess Classic, I plan on organising some neat running or hiking adventures.

On 14 Jan I'm thinking of doing an out and back on the famous Routeburn Track ... probably to the Harris Saddle and back so around 28-30ks.

On some other days I will do another shorter run in Dart River, and closer to town the awesome Shotover Moonlight tracks.

I have 3 or 4 spots in the car. Message me if keen.

Cheers
Steve

Noting that the Routeburn Falls - Harris saddle - Routeburn Falls section is alpine and subject to famously changeable weather ...

flukey
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Noting that the Routeburn Falls - Harris saddle - Routeburn Falls section is alpine and subject to famously changeable weather ...

Thats why you run fast!! But seriously given it is an out an back you don't go up the saddle if weather is bad. Also I have a PLB in case of emergencies plus thermals, survival blanket etc in the backpack.

flukey
08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Here is a video showing lots of the course for the Shotover Moonlight tracks ... just run straight up the gondola hill and you are away!

Very awesome video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUMcbLW2nQ

Qbert
11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Here is a video showing lots of the course for the Shotover Moonlight tracks ... just run straight up the gondola hill and you are away!

Very awesome video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUMcbLW2nQ
Agreed the video is awesome - if only the running was as easy as it looked...:hmm:
I think I would be keen to walk some of the tracks though.

Tony Dowden
13-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Thats why you run fast!! But seriously given it is an out an back you don't go up the saddle if weather is bad. Also I have a PLB in case of emergencies plus thermals, survival blanket etc in the backpack.

Good to hear :cool: There's a long history of runners being caught out by rapidly changing alpine conditions. Here's a recent one http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/police-frustrated-unprepared-mountain-runners-4686413

ER
13-01-2012, 03:31 PM
what about the gondola thingy?

Tony Dowden
13-01-2012, 09:31 PM
what about the gondola thingy?

:lol: A gondola wouldn't be ideal for the kind of training Flukey is envisaging!

flukey
15-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Good to hear :cool: There's a long history of runners being caught out by rapidly changing alpine conditions. Here's a recent one http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/police-frustrated-unprepared-mountain-runners-4686413

Well, what do you know? Ran the Routeburn as planned on saturday ... gorgeous sunny day when I started at 8.30am. Then just as I hit the turnaround point on a side trip up Conical Peak after the Harris Saddle the cloud turned to pouring rain. On the way back it even started to snow! And so now us lucky chessplayers have the great sight of looking out over the Remarkables range with a dusting of snow on the top third!

Tony Dowden
15-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, what do you know? Ran the Routeburn as planned on saturday ... gorgeous sunny day when I started at 8.30am. Then just as I hit the turnaround point on a side trip up Conical Peak after the Harris Saddle the cloud turned to pouring rain. On the way back it even started to snow! And so now us lucky chessplayers have the great sight of looking out over the Remarkables range with a dusting of snow on the top third!
LOL, but you must be fit - as taking in Conical Hill (sans beaten track) as well is quite a feat!

flukey
15-01-2012, 10:06 PM
LOL, but you must be fit - as taking in Conical Hill (sans beaten track) as well is quite a feat!

I only got half way up ... the rocks got too slippery and the drops got too steep and the cloud was murky as well!

Tommorow it's a Frankton Track run with the Aussies ... Matthew and Jean saw the chesschat thread and we thought would be a good post boozy Thai meal detox!

Carl Gorka
15-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I have just got back from trekking Milford Track and the scenery was absolutely breath taking. I urge all competitors to take the opportunity to see some of the magnificent surroundings of the area you're playing.

I'll be writing about this on my non chess blog :)

http://runningcoffee.blogspot.com/

Tony Dowden
22-01-2012, 06:53 AM
I only got half way up ... the rocks got too slippery and the drops got too steep and the cloud was murky as well!

Tommorow it's a Frankton Track run with the Aussies ... Matthew and Jean saw the chesschat thread and we thought would be a good post boozy Thai meal detox!

Yeah, running up Conical would be much trickier than the main track. I climbed Conical many years ago - and Ocean Peak, Emily Peak and Key Summit - which give interesting perspective(s) you don't see when sticking to the Routeburn.

Frankton sounds about right for those Aussies! (Maybe Queenstown Hill too?)

ER
22-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Cold and windy today, it snowed in the mountain tops! Stephen decided to go for his Arrowtown run though. It's a magnifincent place running along the clear river! Of what he told me he would go for an easy two hour run! Good luck!

Watto
23-01-2012, 06:48 AM
flukey ended up going later than us that day- Matthew and I just ended up running around the Queenstown gardens, through the pine forests and along the foreshore. Beautiful scenery although you have to run in circles to get a decent run. Matthew is a marathon runner though so much fitter than me so we now just run on our own. Guy came for the drive with us yesterday and enjoyed a walk (has an injured foot so can't run). I'm going to try the Frankton Track this morning! Wish I had this sort of scenery to run in at home... :)