PDA

View Full Version : Questions For Barry Cox: Special Non-Chess Edition

Kaitlin
03-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Dear Mr Barry Cox,

If Fractals were discovered completely in 1975, how come I only learnt about them a few weeks ago?

Perplexed

Rincewind
03-06-2011, 07:04 PM
If Fractals were discovered completely in 1975, how come I only learnt about them a few weeks ago?

Perhaps I can answer that question with another question: what do you know about Galois theory?

(Also did you read this post (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=288672&postcount=552) from September last year?)

Redmond Barry
21-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't think barry is getting tested sufficiently so I have a list of questions I wish to find the answers to.

# does nasa track my every move ?

# is pi just a cunning ruse to keep the masses held within the rigorous bind of societal servitude?

# how many spots are there on the average sized dalmatian (female and male)?

is lady gaga really a dude ?

is chihuahua better with steak sauce or mayonaise?

can I borrow your drill (only if its makita) ?

is karma really a bitch ? or is it sometimes male ?

what's your favourite roxette song ?

if its a penny for my thoughts, is the value of my mid morning reveries also calculated in pre-decimal currency ?

thankyou in advance for answering.

Rincewind
21-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think barry is getting tested sufficiently so I have a list of questions I wish to find the answers to.

Let's see how I go...

# does nasa track my every move ?

On their present congressional budget they would be lucky to track George Burns' every move. Someone like yourself (still in the land of the living) is well beyond their brief and sadly their resources.

# is pi just a cunning ruse to keep the masses held within the rigorous bind of societal servitude?

Don't even get me started on pi. One of my favourity xkcd comics on the topic is here (http://xkcd.com/179/) (language warning).

# how many spots are there on the average sized dalmatian (female and male)?

Not sure if the number of spots as important as the total area of liver coloured to white coloured fur. As a ratio I'd like to see this less that 0.25.

is lady gaga really a dude ?

Now you just sound like the people that used to tease her at school. Why are people so unkind? :'(

is chihuahua better with steak sauce or mayonaise?

I don't buy into your false dichotomy and would go for chihuahua mignon with a Béarnaise sauce every time.

can I borrow your drill (only if its makita) ?

That drill has served me many long years now - drilling through wood, brick, concrete and pavers without missing a beat. However, I don't think it is a Makita so the question is moot.

is karma really a bitch ? or is it sometimes male ?

Boy are you going to pay for asking that question. What goes around, comes around...

what's your favourite roxette song ?

Waterloo.

if its a penny for my thoughts, is the value of my mid morning reveries also calculated in pre-decimal currency ?

In some post-decimal countries the term 'penny' still has some currency but no doubt inflation would have to be factored in.

thankyou in advance for answering.

...and thanks post hoc for asking. I hope it hasn't been too disappointing.

Adamski
21-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Hmm. Interesting,
Re "Waterloo". Well at least Abba did come from the same country.

Oepty
22-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Hmm. Interesting,

He gets 8 answers right and you have to point out his one mistake, very, very harsh. LEAVE HIM ALONE.

Rincewind
22-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Hmm. Interesting,

Oh ROXETTE. I remember them now. Sorry. In that case I change my answer to "Sweet Dreams".

antichrist
22-06-2011, 12:10 PM
RW, is it yesterday or today shortest day of year? Am I out again?

Rincewind
22-06-2011, 12:19 PM
RW, is it yesterday or today shortest day of year? Am I out again?

The June Solstice is usually on the 20th or the 21st. This year it was the 21st. (Edit: With correction for time offset it was June 22 @ 3:16 am in NSW).

However for the purposes of measuring the shadow thrown by your slats the loss of precision in measuring today instead of yesterday is negligible.

Redmond Barry
22-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Oh ROXETTE. I remember them now. Sorry. In that case I change my answer to "Sweet Dreams".

'beautiful life' is not too bad as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DPyly3JtXoy4&v=Pyly3JtXoy4&gl=AU

Oepty
22-06-2011, 03:53 PM
The June Solstice is usually on the 20th or the 21st. This year it was the 21st. (Edit: With correction for time offset it was June 22 @ 3:16 am in NSW).

However for the purposes of measuring the shadow thrown by your slats the loss of precision in measuring today instead of yesterday is negligible.

How can the shortest day occur at 3:16 am in the morning? Surely it starts in the morning and finishes in the evening.
Scott

Rincewind
22-06-2011, 08:22 PM
How can the shortest day occur at 3:16 am in the morning? Surely it starts in the morning and finishes in the evening.
Scott

Ok, start by imagining the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun. Now as we know the earth's axis of rotation is not perpendicular to this plane but lies at an angle of around 23.5 degrees to it. So now imagine the plane containing the axis of the earth's daily rotation and is perpendicular to the plane of orbit around the sun. That plane passes through the centre of the sun at precisely twice per year which are the exact times of the solstices. The longest/shortest day occurs on the day closest to this event.

Oepty
22-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok, start by imagining the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun. Now as we know the earth's axis of rotation is not perpendicular to this plane but lies at an angle of around 23.5 degrees to it. So now imagine the plane containing the axis of the earth's daily rotation and is perpendicular to the plane of orbit around the sun. That plane passes through the centre of the sun at precisely twice per year which are the exact times of the solstices. The longest/shortest day occurs on the day closest to this event.

I misunderstood what solstice meant, I thought it meant the day as a whole not the point of time. Thanks for the explanation.
Scott

antichrist
22-06-2011, 09:59 PM
so I worked it out, from 3.16am onwards the day is becoming longer, and it has nothing to do with Joshua

Rincewind
23-06-2011, 12:11 AM
That drill has served me many long years now - drilling through wood, brick, concrete and pavers without missing a beat. However, I don't think it is a Makita so the question is moot.

It is a Makita (HP 1501, as it turns out) but it is very dear to me so you can only borrow it on the proviso that in comes back in the same condition as when you borrowed it.

Redmond Barry
23-06-2011, 12:36 AM
It is a Makita (HP 1501, as it turns out) but it is very dear to me so you can only borrow it on the proviso that in comes back in the same condition as when you borrowed it.

actually I should be ok since my drill is also makita and has never missed a beat after 10 years of usage. curiously enough it was manufactured in england which seems slightly amusing given the fact that most manufacturing occurs closer to home. my previous drill was an austrian built bosch which lasted less than a week before I took it back to bunnings. (drilling into concrete footings seems to be the litmus test of a drills soundness).

antichrist
23-06-2011, 12:50 AM
did this drill drill a hole out of the coffee lounge

Adamski
23-06-2011, 07:02 AM
I misunderstood what solstice meant, I thought it meant the day as a whole not the point of time. Thanks for the explanation.
Scott
Whenever exactly the winter solstice was, it was cold in Penrith.

antichrist
23-06-2011, 12:08 PM

But what I am most careful about is that no sun slips through in midday summer. Would the relevant question be: what angle does the summer sun come down at 22 December? Is it exactly 90%? I can wait another 6 months before doing job to check out.

Oepty
23-06-2011, 07:33 PM
What do short days and chess ratings have in common?
Scott

antichrist
23-06-2011, 10:00 PM
What do short days and chess ratings have in common?
Scott

well if you were albino with associated eye defects you would go much better in shorter days, esp for outdoor comps like gold coast

Oepty
24-06-2011, 09:58 AM
It appears noone has been able to give an answer so perhaps a thread split is needed.
Scott

Adamski
24-06-2011, 09:47 PM
In our case, Scott, comparatively speaking, they are both low numbers (of points and minutes respectively).

antichrist
06-07-2013, 01:30 PM
actually I should be ok since my drill is also makita and has never missed a beat after 10 years of usage. curiously enough it was manufactured in england which seems slightly amusing given the fact that most manufacturing occurs closer to home. my previous drill was an austrian built bosch which lasted less than a week before I took it back to bunnings. (drilling into concrete footings seems to be the litmus test of a drills soundness).

I did not know that there was litmus down concrete footings - there are concrete and steel in mine

Redmond Barry
06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I did not know that there was litmus down concrete footings - there are concrete and steel in mine

thanks for the update.

i will sleep soundly tonight in the knowledge that you have completed your weekly quota of unearthing really really really old threads for no genuine benefit to the greater messageboard community.

peace out bro. :cool:

antichrist
07-07-2013, 12:04 PM

What about yesterday supposed to be furthest distance from sun to earth

antichrist
15-07-2013, 08:14 AM
What about yesterday supposed to be furthest distance from sun to earth

thanks for your informative answer Baz, aphelion it is called. how is it different from shortest day that I thought was the sun being the furtherest away from the Earth?

the Creationists would have had an answer ages ago

Rincewind
15-07-2013, 10:30 AM
thanks for your informative answer Baz, aphelion it is called. how is it different from shortest day that I thought was the sun being the furtherest away from the Earth?

The aphelion and perihelion are related to the elliptic orbit of the earth around the sun. It is the point when the earth crosses the major axis of the ellipse. It is not related to the longest or shortest day since that is to do with the tilt of the earth rotation on its own axis and the when the axis of earth's rotation on axis intersects with a line projected from the center of the sun which is perpendicular to the plane of the orbit.

In the case of the earth, the eccentricity of the orbit is very slight (only around 0.0167) and probably on the way down at the moment.

See http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/ice_ages/eccentricity_graph.html

antichrist
15-07-2013, 11:00 AM
The aphelion and perihelion are related to the elliptic orbit of the earth around the sun. It is the point when the earth crosses the major axis of the ellipse. It is not related to the longest or shortest day since that is to do with the tilt of the earth rotation on its own axis and the when the axis of earth's rotation on axis intersects with a line projected from the center of the sun which is perpendicular to the plane of the orbit.

In the case of the earth, the eccentricity of the orbit is very slight (only around 0.0167) and probably on the way down at the moment.

See http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits/ice_ages/eccentricity_graph.html

thanks for that
well looking at that graph in link, to a scientifically challenged person like myself, it takes away the Creationist argument that God made the solar system perfect - there are slight variations

Rincewind
15-07-2013, 11:40 AM
thanks for that
well looking at that graph in link, to a scientifically challenged person like myself, it takes away the Creationist argument that God made the solar system perfect - there are slight variations

The solar system is a complicated system and orbit eccentricities of all the planets vary due to the effect of other planets (especially the giants) and collisions. The other thing to bear in mind is that there is precession in both the tilt of the earth's axis (with period around 25,000 years) and the perihelion (with period around 112,000 years). So depending on how you want to measure time the dates of all these events will move all around the calendar over those sorts of time scales.

antichrist
15-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I thought you had a typo there meaning precision and was about to open my big mouth up but thought better check up first and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession amazing stuff, and is all worked out to decimal point

there is nothing left for God or Jono to do

we are so fortunate to have this Earthly human life and look how we dont mind polluting the place to death - so stupid us intelligent humans are

Ian Murray
15-07-2013, 12:54 PM
The solar system is a complicated system and orbit eccentricities of all the planets vary due to the effect of other planets (especially the giants) and collisions. The other thing to bear in mind is that there is precession in both the tilt of the earth's axis (with period around 25,000 years) and the perihelion (with period around 112,000 years). So depending on how you want to measure time the dates of all these events will move all around the calendar over those sorts of time scales.
There is a nice little animated tutorial on the Milankovitch cycles at http://www.sciencecourseware.org/eec/GlobalWarming/Tutorials/Milankovitch/

antichrist
15-07-2013, 01:19 PM
There is a nice little animated tutorial on the Milankovitch cycles at http://www.sciencecourseware.org/eec/GlobalWarming/Tutorials/Milankovitch/

agreed brilliant and perfect eg of a pic is worth a thousand words now understand. But the big Q is how comes the earth changes magnetic poles as frequently as a dozen analogies I could think of

Desmond
15-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Oh sure they have answers, I just hope you're not picky on whether they are the right ones or not.

Ian Murray
15-07-2013, 02:33 PM
agreed brilliant and perfect eg of a pic is worth a thousand words now understand. But the big Q is how comes the earth changes magnetic poles as frequently as a dozen analogies I could think of
'Cos it does, that's why. Sorry about that - that's just the way things are. You can see it happening in living colour at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/when-our-magnetic-field-flips.html

Ian Murray
15-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh sure they have answers, I just hope you're not picky on whether they are the right ones or not.
One of Jono's cronies 'discovered' that the magnetic field flipped every ten minutes or so only a few millenia ago, thus confirming tectonic plate movement at breakneck speed.

Ian Murray
15-07-2013, 02:58 PM
It's an interesting thought, the earth still wobbling after a planet-sized impact 4.5 billion years ago. I guess, unlike a spinning top, there is no friction or gravity to slow it down and eventually stop.

antichrist
15-07-2013, 03:02 PM
One of Jono's cronies 'discovered' that the magnetic field flipped every ten minutes or so only a few millenia ago, thus confirming tectonic plate movement at breakneck speed.

now we know why we can't find Noah's ark, the co-ordinates are out of alignment, I am guessing that few millenia ago co-incided with Noah's famous journey

Rincewind
15-07-2013, 03:10 PM

That is a nice little tutorial although I would nitpick with some of the terminology, principally the term "precession", by which they mean "axial precession". But still nice.

antichrist
16-07-2013, 07:39 AM
are you related to Dr. Karl S. Kruszelnicki? or is he your alto ego? And did you know that Jono shows how to make a frog smoothie on his website?

Rincewind
16-07-2013, 10:09 AM
are you related to Dr. Karl S. Kruszelnicki? or is he your alto ego?

I've never met him although I believe we are both graduates from UOW. (Although when Dr Karl went through it was as a college of UNSW).

Desmond
16-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I've never met him although I believe we are both graduates from UOW. (Although when Dr Karl went through it was as a college of UNSW).
I met him once, he is very tall and approachable.

Ian Murray
16-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I met him once, he is very tall and approachable.
Except for short people :P

antichrist
16-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Except for short people :P

I remember him speaking at Syd Uni Skeptics yonks ago, wore a bright jacket if I remember correctly. Met Robyn Williams in ABC building. Met David Stratton at Darling Harbour, he is pretty short. Have met Ron Casey and BOb Hawke both in lifts, both not as short as appearing on TV. Met Comrade Gough, and Emperor Keating. Have met Doug Anthony, and Ian Sinclair , Bob Brown. The Pope in the context that he watched me being bashed. LBJ when with Askin in car and told driver to run over the bastards.

Gough was the best with the smart one liner

antichrist
06-01-2014, 10:56 AM
I see how the USA want to bend light to camouflage defence forces, when the sun hits a mirror and bounces off is that bending light? Phew- such heavy questions

Redmond Barry
07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
dear barry,

how do they get the "surprise" inside kinder surprise.

why is rebecca black still allowed to sing ?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood ?

When will they genetically alter camels to smell like lavender ?

Is the solution to world peace linedancing and chocolate ?

Are hyenas really laughing at me or am i just paranoid ?

When fishing for compliments, is it best to use braided or monofilament line ?

When will Australia finally make good use of Tasmania and send all of the asylum seekers there ?

Where is Dirk ?

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2014, 10:02 PM
When will Australia finally make good use of Tasmania and send all of the asylum seekers there ?

This was actually happening to a limited degree for a while. Facility near Brighton. Locals here are mostly welcoming of such things.

Rincewind
08-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Where is Dirk ?

I saw him on tv playing in a big bash game and he was bowling pretty well. You will be pleased to learn that he is still sporting a beard.

antichrist
08-01-2014, 11:08 AM
I seen thousands of Vietnamese boat people in army style barracks in Palawan, Philippines decades after the war finished. I enquired recently and apparently they almost all ended up in Australia. Now barry why the big difference on whom the Chosen are?

antichrist
11-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Hi Barry, how come if I use that strong original brownish listerine and rinse out with hot water afterwards it sort of burns the mouth, if rinse with cold water is refreshing? And it is nothing to do with the nuns telling me to wash my foul mouth out.