PDA

View Full Version : ACF Ratings - Improved presentation!

Brian_Jones
04-10-2004, 02:15 PM
A few weeks ago there was some discussion about improved presentation of ACF ratings information. To show what is possible, ACE has written a system to look at recent data in different ways.

For individual ratings graphs have a look at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings

For top players by state have a look at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=top

For titled players have a look at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=titles

All information based on data supplied by the ACF

Recherché
04-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Neat. I like the graphs. Is this going to be kept current as new ratings are released? What's the point of making the search case-sensitive? Was it just a routine grabbed from somewhere else?

ursogr8
04-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Neat. I like the graphs. Is this going to be kept current as new ratings are released? What's the point of making the search case-sensitive? Was it just a routine grabbed from somewhere else?

R
How does your graph get the discontinuity from 3/9 to 3/12?
starter

Recherché
04-10-2004, 03:15 PM
R
How does your graph get the discontinuity from 3/9 to 3/12?
starter

Since the 3/12/03 figure was my first rating, the ones before that should simply not be present. Their graphing function seems to require data, however. For some reason they have chosen to use a 1500 rating instead of zero for ratings periods prior to a player being rated. It does make the graph look rather silly.

auriga
04-10-2004, 03:25 PM

i helped brian with some of the code. yep, to update just requires to update bill's text file so should be ok if the format doesn't change too much. we didn't do case sensivity.

it's just doing query on bill's file and plotting the datapoints. however, you noticed if a period is missing we did set to 1500 (average rating) as the chart does scale badly when it's 0. will have a look to fix this (or highlight missing period) but just thought would have quick go.

Recherché
04-10-2004, 03:55 PM
if a period is missing we did set to 1500 (average rating) as the chart does scale badly when it's 0.

Is it possible for you to (a) simply not plot data points for missing periods, or (b) have them set to be equal to whatever the first rating value is?

jeffrei
04-10-2004, 03:55 PM
brian/quanta,

well done! it's got some very nice features.

one thing, though. would you guys consider making some top Under-XX lists for juniors? To some extent this is already done at http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings/, but only U12 U16 & U20 are covered. I'd like to see a wider range of age-groups put into a list so kids can see more clearly where they stand against their peers from other states.

Brian_Jones
04-10-2004, 04:17 PM
We have changed the "no rating default" to 0 instead of 1500.
So R looks much better now!

For under-XX lists, there is no DOB on the Active List so we are looking at using the Master List instead but this is more difficult!

Bill Gletsos
04-10-2004, 06:04 PM
We have changed the "no rating default" to 0 instead of 1500.
So R looks much better now!

For under-XX lists, there is no DOB on the Active List so we are looking at using the Master List instead but this is more difficult!
There is no DOB on the master list either.

auriga
05-10-2004, 07:25 AM
There is no DOB on the master list either.

isn't there a dob field in the swiss perfect master list (acfmast.zip) though?!

looks like it only has the dob for juniors and top players though
(eg. one ACT player was born in 1999!!).

arosar
05-10-2004, 09:31 AM
This BJ is a marketing genius ain't he? He'll do anything to draw traffic to his site. Good one Brian!

AR

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 11:23 AM
isn't there a dob field in the swiss perfect master list (acfmast.zip) though?!
That is coirrect, but your use of the term master file seemed to be refering to the text file and not the SP file.

looks like it only has the dob for juniors and top players though
That isnt the case. It is just that not every player provides their DOB to either their state association of to the rating officers. hence many players have no DOB's listed. I know last year I added all the known NSWCA member DOB's.

(eg. one ACT player was born in 1999!!).
I'll check it out.

1min_grandmaster
05-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Excellent site Brian! This is definitely an attractive way to present the ACF ratings.

Just a suggested small improvement: when viewing rating graphs and games played over ratings periods, it would be better if the increments on the y-axis (vertical axis) were 'nicer' numbers, e.g. for ratings, if they were 1900, 2000, 2100, etc, and if for games, they were 10, 20, 30 rather than weird numbers like non-integers.

The other good thing is if you could view the rating trend over a longer period of time, but of course, you may not have access to ratings so long ago.

Rincewind
05-10-2004, 11:42 AM
This BJ is a marketing genius ain't he? He'll do anything to draw traffic to his site. Good one Brian!

And it works! I made my contribution to Australian chess by buying some books there the other day. What's more it must work backwards in time as I placed the order before Brian posted this thread! ;)

auriga
05-10-2004, 07:52 PM
That is coirrect, but your use of the term master file seemed to be refering to the text file and not the SP file.

That isnt the case. It is just that not every player provides their DOB to either their state association of to the rating officers. hence many players have no DOB's listed. I know last year I added all the known NSWCA member DOB's.

I'll check it out.

sorry, i don't think it's wrong.
i knew they had some young players down in ACT
but bit surprised quite this young!

all the other stuff about the DOB is cool.

Bill Gletsos
05-10-2004, 08:07 PM
sorry, i don't think it's wrong.
i knew they had some young players down in ACT
but bit surprised quite this young!

all the other stuff about the DOB is cool.
Yes, he is 5 years and 8 months. It looks valid. He played in their U10 Championship.

auriga
06-10-2004, 05:03 PM
brian/quanta,

well done! it's got some very nice features.

one thing, though. would you guys consider making some top Under-XX lists for juniors? To some extent this is already done at http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings/, but only U12 U16 & U20 are covered. I'd like to see a wider range of age-groups put into a list so kids can see more clearly where they stand against their peers from other states.

we've had a very quick go at top list by age at:

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=age

the dates it's based on are not very precise (eg. 12 is dob > 12 years from today not start of year) and not displaying dob field in end result.

(also, apostrophes in the name are ignored for now. they seem to cause real havoc!)

auriga
06-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Excellent site Brian! This is definitely an attractive way to present the ACF ratings.

Just a suggested small improvement: when viewing rating graphs and games played over ratings periods, it would be better if the increments on the y-axis (vertical axis) were 'nicer' numbers, e.g. for ratings, if they were 1900, 2000, 2100, etc, and if for games, they were 10, 20, 30 rather than weird numbers like non-integers.

The other good thing is if you could view the rating trend over a longer period of time, but of course, you may not have access to ratings so long ago.

i've improved the y-axis increments a bit.
will be able to get some more data periods in month or two (when i get more spare time).

skip to my lou
05-12-2004, 01:30 PM
quanta, getting some error on the ratings page. Can we use these images dynamically? i.e graph.jpg?player=Rogers,%20Ian&period=1104

Libby
05-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Yes, he is 5 years and 8 months. It looks valid. He played in their U10 Championship.

Is it Ethan D? It's not so unusual. This is just rapid rating and ACTJCL is now rapid rating all our short time control events which includes both our U8 & U10. We have quite an active group of kindy-age players born 1998 or 1999 (born prior to May 1999 they were able to start school this year in Canberra).

It's fair to say the rating doesn't mean a lot when you're 5 or 6 but the little boy in question has won as many as 3.5 points in our events and keeps coming back!

auriga
05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
quanta, getting some error on the ratings page. Can we use these images dynamically? i.e graph.jpg?player=Rogers,%20Ian&period=1104

the default format for the charts was flash.
i've changed to be jpg so they can be saved.
it may suggest the name GraphData.cfm but just use chart_1.jpg, etc. instead.

btw, i changed the name of the page a bit ago.
it's now ratings_aus.cfc so the url is now
http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings_aus

ps. looks like black caps going down in the cricket!

auriga
05-12-2004, 08:13 PM
the default format for the charts was flash.
i've changed to be jpg so they can be saved.
it may suggest the name GraphData.cfm but just use chart_1.jpg, etc. instead.

btw, i changed the name of the page a bit ago.
it's now ratings_aus.cfc so the url is now
http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings_aus

ps. looks like black caps going down in the cricket!

sorry. think i know what you're getting at now.
the only url parameter it takes is a for the name
ie. http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings_aus&a=Rogers, Ian
should be able to pick out the 2 jpg's generated and display/save them somewhere.

auriga
05-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Is it Ethan D? It's not so unusual. This is just rapid rating and ACTJCL is now rapid rating all our short time control events which includes both our U8 & U10. We have quite an active group of kindy-age players born 1998 or 1999 (born prior to May 1999 they were able to start school this year in Canberra).

It's fair to say the rating doesn't mean a lot when you're 5 or 6 but the little boy in question has won as many as 3.5 points in our events and keeps coming back!

yep, i think it was!
i was a bit surprised looking through the master list for the first time.
i think act could soon dominate chess in australia!

The_Wise_Man
05-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Brian

Just an idea... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

How difficult would it be to get a graph that compares two or more players?

Wise

auriga
06-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Brian

Wise

would be possible.
those dynamic charts can take multiple data series.
suspect it would be difficult though.

auriga
07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Brian

Wise

i've had a quick go of this.

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings_multi

i may add another box.
(i can't see many people comparing more than 3 players or so)

arosar
07-12-2004, 10:56 AM
This is really clever marketing by youse blokes. Everytime we wanna use that thingo, we can't help but notice some of that stuff you sell.

AR

ursogr8
07-12-2004, 11:10 AM
This is really clever marketing by youse blokes. Everytime we wanna use that thingo, we can't help but notice some of that stuff you sell.

AR

Amiel,

It is a great thingo, I agree.
Try charting Chris Wallis and Zhigen Lin, then come back with a prediction of where it will end.

starter

arosar
07-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Try charting Chris Wallis and Zhigen Lin, then come back with a prediction of where it will end.

Who are those blokes?

AR

ursogr8
07-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Who are those blokes?

AR

Amiel

Board 33 pairing here (http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/e0411fxs/round1.htm)
gives half the story. Their coach would be the other half.

(And the third half is that December ratings have been struck since the pairing).

starter
ps Btw, what was your prediction of where that trend will end?

auriga
10-12-2004, 12:48 PM
i've had a quick go of this.

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings_multi

i may add another box.
(i can't see many people comparing more than 3 players or so)

i've added another box so can chart 3 players. :alien:

The_Wise_Man
10-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Quanta

The 3 player graphs look impressive.... Well done...

Wise

ursogr8
12-12-2004, 08:01 AM
i've added another box so can chart 3 players. :alien:

Hey 'quanta', that is really neat.

I tried the previous two (Wallis, Chris and Lin, Zhigen) and now added Morris, James. It was illuminating. The future looks bright. :cool:

starter

auriga
12-12-2004, 08:59 PM

I tried the previous two (Wallis, Chris and Lin, Zhigen) and now added Morris, James. It was illuminating. The future looks bright. :cool:

starter

i notice wallis and lin are pencilled to play in the upcoming zonal too.
good stuff.
may improve/get fide ratings from this!

Garvinator
12-12-2004, 09:29 PM
i notice wallis and lin are pencilled to play in the upcoming zonal too.
good stuff.
may improve/get fide ratings from this!
we shall see how they do at the Lidums Australian Open first ;) :)

auriga
12-12-2004, 10:01 PM
we shall see how they do at the Lidums Australian Open first ;) :)

cool. hope they get chance to play the italian/latvians and/or pull off an upset.

ChessMum
19-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Hi

The Ratings by Age presentation at ACE doesn't seem to be updated for the latest ACF ratings or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

ChessMum

Bill Gletsos
19-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi

The Ratings by Age presentation at ACE doesn't seem to be updated for the latest ACF ratings or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

ChessMum
It appears to be wrong and showing the Sept 2004 ratings.

auriga
20-12-2004, 11:58 AM
yep, you're right. it wasn't picking up 0412 :(
though it should do now.

ursogr8
22-12-2004, 07:24 AM

starter

I also dialled into the graph of Reubban Muthusamy (or Muthusamy, Reubban as I think you have to enter) and this is another impressive rise.
View here (http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings_multi)

Reubban came to notice at the recent MCC SWISS event.

Great little piece of software.

starter

lemonruski
31-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't think the graph thing works for players who have moved to a different state in the time period it looks at, it only found my ratings before I moved and put everything else in as zero. I tried it with some other names of people who have moved and it works for some but not others.
?????

auriga
01-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I don't think the graph thing works for players who have moved to a different state in the time period it looks at, it only found my ratings before I moved and put everything else in as zero. I tried it with some other names of people who have moved and it works for some but not others.
?????

yep, all the rating charts, reports, etc. are still at:

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings

anybody is welcome to use.
the june 2005 file has been uploaded.
i can't guarentee the code/data is 100% correct
but did make an effort to make it correct.

---

with your scenario above, i can't see straight away where this would happen
but it is most likely a bug (or limitation).
i do remember there was a case where a player had exactly the same name.
i may have added a check on the state so this could mean the data series has to be the same state :(

i'll have a look next time i open up the code. i could take off the state check i guess and it would work ok.

auriga
02-06-2005, 02:20 PM
if you want a non-framed (non-commercial) version of these reports
you can use the format of the link below
ie. copy the link below and edit the name1=Test, Joe part, etc.
example is with random players from best improvers list.

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings&v=ratings_multi&bar=no&menu=no&search=no&news=no&name1=Yu,%20Sally&name2=Watts,%20Peter&name3=Xing,%20Edward

arosar
26-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Congrats to Greg!!!

AR

arosar
26-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Oh that...how's about a coupla schooners mate?

AR

pax
20-09-2005, 11:40 AM
The ratings thingy appears broken right now. Brian? Lee?

auriga
24-09-2005, 11:08 AM
yep. you're right. something gone wrong.
will fix on mon when get access to dvd drive (got copy of files on a backup dvd)...i don't have one :(
i did make an enhancement the other day so maybe this has broken the whole thing.

auriga
26-09-2005, 12:11 PM
fixed it up now.

auriga
26-09-2005, 12:21 PM
the change i added was to the ratings_top report (http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings&v=ratings_top)

if you add the url parameters
no_overseas=yes and active=yes
it will only give australian players who are active (ie. > 0 games in last period).

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings&v=ratings_top&bare_results=yes&menu=no&bar=no&search=no&news=no&no_overseas=yes&state=all&active=yes

current list should give below.

No State Rating Games Name
1 NSW 2631 26 Rogers, Ian [GM]
2 NSW 2489 18 Zhao, Zong-Yuan [IM]
3 VIC 2460 14 Johansen, Darryl K [GM]
4 VIC 2423 28 Bjelobrk, Igor
5 SA 2418 7 Tao, Trevor
6 QLD 2391 21 Solomon, Stephen J [IM]
7 VIC 2376 33 Froehlich, Peter [IM]
8 VIC 2369 25 West, Guy [IM]
9 VIC 2324 7 Sandler, Leonid [IM]
10 NSW 2321 46 Xie, George

auriga
16-12-2005, 03:36 PM
the misc rating reports at:

http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=ratings

are updated for dec 2005.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2007, 10:02 PM
www.chess.org.au (run by TCA Webmaster Ross George) now has a searchable version of the September 07 rating list. You can easily search for partial name matches without necessarily knowing the player's full name.

Johanath
06-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Just a question regarding ratings - I was checking the list of ratings for active players at http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings/acfrate.htm

While the first number represents the current rating and the second number for the games played in the period, what do the third and fourth numbers indicate?

For example: 1329? 0 1377 75 Ahmadi, Mahmood

1329?= Rating (unreliable)
0= No games played in the latest period
What do 1377 and 75 represent?

Thanks!

eclectic
06-09-2007, 01:22 AM
col 3 your national ranking
col 4 your state ranking

Johanath
06-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks!

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Are the chessaustralia.com.au ratings graphs still being updated? My link to them no longer brings anything up.

eclectic
08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
i think auriga shuts down the link while updating it ... :rolleyes:

Kevin Bonham
08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Fair enough.

eclectic
08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
but then again perhaps the innovation of listing national and state rankings has left the database concerned thoroughly bamboozled! :P

pax
27-09-2007, 01:57 PM
The interface hasn't been working for a little while now. What's the status?

themovingman
11-10-2007, 08:51 AM
The interface hasn't been working for a little while now. What's the status?

that is my question too - I really really liked it and was gona take a screenshot of one for a local up here :)

tanks for those who have maintained it thus far anyway

Brian_Jones
11-10-2007, 12:04 PM
that is my question too - I really really liked it and was gona take a screenshot of one for a local up here :)

tanks for those who have maintained it thus far anyway

I will have a word with the author!

joergw
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi,

just to give some ideas - this is how the presentation of ratings is done in Germany (see attachments).

a) for each player one can drill into the individual results (see overview.jpg). That shows for
- which tournaments one played
- how many points one made
- what his performance was

b) further down a chart over time is shown which shows rating score and performance score

c) drilling down into an individual tournament then shows each results for all games (opponent/ opponent rating, result) - see tournament_results.jpg

Nice, isn't it?
Best regards,
Joerg

Spiny Norman
01-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Its very nicely presented actually ... I'm curious to know how it is done (i.e. what software is used) and how it is presented (i.e. website?).

joergw
01-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi,

it is presented via a website. You can have a look e.g. here (shows the members for my old German club).

http://www.schachbund.de/dwz/db/verein.html?zps=22009

The interface allows as well to hook this list in the club's website.

If there is really interest, I might be able to find out what kind of software is being used.

Joerg

joergw
01-09-2008, 03:03 PM
you might need to follow the link twice, as after the first attempt sometimes only a logo from the Deutschen Schachbund appears

Joerg

Basil
01-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Would like to note that I miss the ratings graph v. much. Come back soon. Daddy misses you.