PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open Chess Championship 1973...

machomortensen
27-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Yes, I know google is my friend, but...

I can't figure out where this tournament was held... Town or suburb...

Can anyone help me??

Ian Rout
27-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, I know google is my friend, but...

I can't figure out where this tournament was held... Town or suburb...

Can anyone help me??
According to Ozbase the 1973 Open (as in Dec 72 to Jan 73) appears to have been in Melbourne.

machomortensen
27-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Thank you very much Mr. Rout.

I don't know anything about the dates, but Max Fuller won the tournament with 8 points.

Kerry Stead
29-11-2011, 01:12 PM
As Ian said, it was held in Melbourne from December 27 1972 to January 5 1973, played over 9 rounds.
Presumably it was somewhere in the city, though the venue is not mentioned in the tournament book.
An interesting anecdote form the tournament was recently published in an article by Bill Jordan ('Turning Back the Chess Clock'), where he recounts stories from his & Australia's chess past. On the Australian Open he says,
'The next big tournament was the Australian Open in Melbourne. In Round 1, I played the co-Australian champion Trevor Hay. After we played about half a dozen moves he said he'd be back in about an hour as he was going out for a few drinks. He had apparently just by chance met up with an old girlfriend. Anyway, he came back after a few drinks and I managed to outplay him. I missed a clear win at one stage then was unable to put him away after winning a pawn. The game ended in a draw.'

machomortensen
29-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Great story, Kerry.

I lost to Bill Jordan in the third round at the Mount Buller version of an Australian Open. Later I have met him several times at State Library in Victoria.

"Turning Back the Chess Clock"... It sounds very interesting.

Where can I read the full text?

Kerry Stead
29-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Great story, Kerry.

I lost to Bill Jordan in the third round at the Mount Buller version of an Australian Open. Later I have met him several times at State Library in Victoria.

"Turning Back the Chess Clock"... It sounds very interesting.

Where can I read the full text?

It was published in two parts in the tournament booklets (no 4 & 5) for the 2011 Billanook Chess Cup (an allegro series held throughout the year).
The competition was run by Northern Star Chess.
Their website is northernstarchess.com (http://www.northernstarchess.com)& Pearl Yung would be the person to ask about the booklets.

machomortensen
29-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Thank you very much, Kerry.

I'll give it a go.

antichrist
02-12-2011, 01:05 PM
As Ian said, it was held in Melbourne from December 27 1972 to January 5 1973, played over 9 rounds.
Presumably it was somewhere in the city, though the venue is not mentioned in the tournament book.
An interesting anecdote form the tournament was recently published in an article by Bill Jordan ('Turning Back the Chess Clock'), where he recounts stories from his & Australia's chess past. On the Australian Open he says,
'The next big tournament was the Australian Open in Melbourne. In Round 1, I played the co-Australian champion Trevor Hay. After we played about half a dozen moves he said he'd be back in about an hour as he was going out for a few drinks. He had apparently just by chance met up with an old girlfriend. Anyway, he came back after a few drinks and I managed to outplay him. I missed a clear win at one stage then was unable to put him away after winning a pawn. The game ended in a draw.'

A win in the bush is better than a draw in the hand

If that hour was lost with the clock going he certainly had his priorities right

And at least you can turn those anologue clocks backwards

jammo
25-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Thank you very much, Kerry.

I'll give it a go.

The tournament was held in "air-conditioned Saxon House, sponsored by Hooker Projects" .... CIA 1973.

I came second.

Cheers,
Jammo

machomortensen
27-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Thanks "Jammo".

I wish that 2012 will be a great (chess)year for you.