PDA

View Full Version : Chess training schools/courses

Gandalf
03-11-2003, 12:03 AM
I've seen these mentioned a few times and was wondering how many members began their chess experience through one of these. The closest I have come was a half-hour beginner class in primary school (though I already played reasonably) so I really have no idea what these "chess schools" are like. What do they teach beyond basic movement? Are they worth the effort? Does paying someone really help you develop a better game? Please, post your thoughts!

skip to my lou
04-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Going to a Chess Club on a weekly basis is certainly worth it. It will help you improve your game dramatically. I think coaching is the way to go once you have hit the rating wall.

Gandalf
06-11-2003, 11:48 AM
In that case, could I ask all the people who go to one of the above to post where they go, and their opinion of the place?

skip to my lou
06-11-2003, 11:58 AM
I take my brother to Koala Chess Club, in riverstone, they concentrate on training juniors. I go to Rooty Hill, where there are more adults (50 or 60) to play with. Rooty Hill holds many tournaments, including blitz (5min) and standard (1:30h). I know alot of the clubs, because I have played many interclub matches. If you can tell me what area you want to go, I can get you details. Also, for personal coaching, IM Gary Lane, FM Brian Jones, FM Lee Jones and WIM Nancy Lane all play and teach at Koala in Riverstone.

Gandalf
23-11-2003, 04:49 PM
It seems you live rather close to me, since I'm from Woodcroft. I'm a little disappointed that no other members turned up here though...

xiao1985
23-11-2003, 06:04 PM
hey!!! i didn't c the thread dat's all!!! =p

i live clost enuf (i fink) to riverstone... wentworthville, half way between para and seven hills... all the interschool chess comp seems rather interestin... esp right now, after the hsc... rooty hill is lyk west'er dan blaktown yea?? i fink tis alrite to get there... can i find out more info on the chess clubs etc?? =) much appreciated...

i learnt how to play chess when i was lyk yr 2 or 3, when i was still in china and there's dat young teacher came in and taught us how the pieces move and some rather simple puzzle for us to solve (eg, mate in onez)...

lyk my chess journey doesn't really start till i was lyk yr 8 or somethin, when i played my math teacher... man he's good... but lyk i was winnin by so much?? lyk a queen for a knight?? but lyk eventually, he got the queen bak... it ended in a drew tho... =p chess became a prt of me eva since...

BrainsUK
02-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm only 15, but I play for the school chess club where I've won the chess cup 5 times out of 7 (a kind of mini-Kasparov at my school :))
Once I turn 16, I will go and join a proper chess club in Southern England (Kent), as it is the only real way to improve.

bunta
10-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I take my brother to Koala Chess Club, in riverstone, they concentrate on training juniors. I go to Rooty Hill, where there are more adults (50 or 60) to play with. Rooty Hill holds many tournaments, including blitz (5min) and standard (1:30h). I know alot of the clubs, because I have played many interclub matches. If you can tell me what area you want to go, I can get you details. Also, for personal coaching, IM Gary Lane, FM Brian Jones, FM Lee Jones and WIM Nancy Lane all play and teach at Koala in Riverstone.

where is riverstone located (syd metro area)? i was interested in getting coached but i don't know where to find one, does he charge money as well? i've never heard of that place

bunta
10-04-2005, 11:52 PM
hey!!! i didn't c the thread dat's all!!! =p

i live clost enuf (i fink) to riverstone... wentworthville, half way between para and seven hills... all the interschool chess comp seems rather interestin... esp right now, after the hsc... rooty hill is lyk west'er dan blaktown yea?? i fink tis alrite to get there... can i find out more info on the chess clubs etc?? =) much appreciated...

i learnt how to play chess when i was lyk yr 2 or 3, when i was still in china and there's dat young teacher came in and taught us how the pieces move and some rather simple puzzle for us to solve (eg, mate in onez)...

lyk my chess journey doesn't really start till i was lyk yr 8 or somethin, when i played my math teacher... man he's good... but lyk i was winnin by so much?? lyk a queen for a knight?? but lyk eventually, he got the queen bak... it ended in a drew tho... =p chess became a prt of me eva since...

oh my bad guys, i just saw the location. Is the place near the train station? i need some additional information on the coaching and the actual place

skip to my lou
11-04-2005, 07:41 AM
where is riverstone located (syd metro area)? i was interested in getting coached but i don't know where to find one, does he charge money as well? i've never heard of that place

It's out west, near richmond. You can email info@chessaustralia.com.au for more info

bunta
11-04-2005, 07:54 AM
It's out west, near richmond. You can email info@chessaustralia.com.au for more info

thanks for that, i'll keep the coaching in mind

Comrade
25-04-2005, 10:45 PM
In that case, could I ask all the people who go to one of the above to post where they go, and their opinion of the place?

Sydney Academy Of Chess is tops, with a team of coaches to suit all skill levels. Check this out: http://www.sydneyacademyofchess.com.au/

Another advantage is that it is located centrally (Strathfield)