PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi chess app for iPad/iPhone

heligan
12-11-2011, 08:55 AM
If you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, then check out the new app e+Chess from kiwi company ePlusBooks.com Ltd. Read chess books anywhere, without a set. The app is free and comes with the classic Chess Fundamentals (Capablanca). Other books can be purchased - including the three-volume set The Art of Chess by NZ former national coach, Lev Aptekar. The members of ePlusBooks.com are NZCF patron Jim Benson, super-GM programmer Craig Anderson, Hilton Bennett, Helen Milligan, and well-known American author IM Jeremy Silman.
The app e+Chess is live on iTunes now...

ChrisBurns
12-11-2011, 11:46 AM
There is talk on the TalkChess forum about this.http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41046&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
I hope you get many authors on your side and it will make many chess players luggage that much lighter, if only it had more books before I go to Queenstown as I have to rationalise my choices on what books to take.

heligan
12-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks Chris - some interesting comments at that forum. Actually the app is pretty good for study because you can hide the solutions to puzzles and open them one by one - no messing around, turning to the back of the book. Workbooks where you have to guess the move before proceeding will also be good in this format. But hey, we are also catering for people who just want to relax and play over some really nice games, anywhere, any time!

asterix
26-12-2011, 12:32 PM
ePlusBooks released Jeremy Silman's award-winning 'Silman's Complete Endgame Course' last week. Massive 530 pages plus dozens of audio clips is very impressive on an iPad!
http://www.eplusbooks.com/index.php/books/89-silman-endgame-course

Garrett
17-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Having recently bought an iPhone5 (late May) and just having read a FB status of Helen's I decided to download the ePlusbooks.

Looks very good. The software itself is free and so is the Capa Chess fundamentals book.

I had also previously downloaded the Everyman Chess App and purchased the "Kramknik move by move" book.

Although the Kramnik book is good, it is annoying to not be able to read the text and see the board at the same time. I have to press an icon to switch back and forth between screens (tilting the iPhone to one side does not make the App switch to 'landscape' mode - perhaps I am missing something else.....??).

ePlusbooks was in 'landscape' mode by default and was easy to read.

Looking forward to the Endgame tactics book coming out. Will get this one....

cheers
Garrett.

Adamski
18-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Gary Lane's Chess Puzzles is a good and micely presented e+ book aimed at the average club player.