PDA

View Full Version : Glicko system presentation at Krakow

Garvinator
28-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Could not help but mention this.

From reading the Qualification Committee minutes, I see that there is going to be a decent presentation for consideration of the Glicko rating system.

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_2011/chess_news/QC_Council_Meeting/QC_councillors_minutes_final.pdf

I would love to see fide change to using the Glicko rating system, if for no other reason to see the bleatings on here, such as, Glicko is not a good rating system because no other country uses it.

What will the argument be then if fide decides to change to Glicko from elo? :lol:

In reality though, I doubt fide will change to Glicko because I remember the complaints in fide circles when it was being considered just to raise the K factors. Glicko is much more volatile, which will cause many more complaints, no matter how unfounded.

Rincewind
28-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Glicko is much more volatile, which will cause many more complaints, no matter how unfounded.

I wouldn't necessary agree with this statement without qualification. The issue with raising k factors in Elo is that it is a one size fits all approach. With Glicko, it can be more volatile but it is a function of the individual's activity.