PDA

View Full Version : The Olympiad 1939

machomortensen
18-08-2011, 09:52 PM
First of all, SORRY if this topic allready has been discussed. To my defense, I couldn't find it...

It has been a rainy summer in Denmark and I found a lot of old Bent Larsen newspaper chesscolumns. In one of them from the 80'es he wrote about the australian chessolympic team who should sail to South America. When they arrived to India they learned that the olympics has been cancelled! Then they returned home just to find out that it wasn't cancelled at all but at that time it was to late to travel again...

Is there any truth in this story?? And if so, who was the involved players??

Max Illingworth
18-08-2011, 10:36 PM
First of all, SORRY if this topic allready has been discussed. To my defense, I couldn't find it...

It has been a rainy summer in Denmark and I found a lot of old Bent Larsen newspaper chesscolumns. In one of them from the 80'es he wrote about the australian chessolympic team who should sail to South America. When they arrived to India they learned that the olympics has been cancelled! Then they returned home just to find out that it wasn't cancelled at all but at that time it was to late to travel again...

I have heard a related story about Gary Koshnitsky and the Olympiad, but I don't remember any of the details so I will leave this to someone with a better recollection than me.

Denis_Jessop
19-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Hi Henrik

"Australian Chess at the Top" by Cathy Chua has an account at pp140-141 of what happened. It's too long to quote but, briefly, apparently what happened was that Argentina, the host country, offered assistance with fares but the offer turned out not to be very good. Funds were raised here for a team to be Koshnitsky, Purdy, Crowl and Goldstein. Goldstein withdrew and was replaced by Hastings. The team was about to leave Australia on a 4-month trip by cargo boat (!?) when a cable was received that the Olympiad had been postponed. The Australian trip was then cancelled though, had they known it, They probably could have attended as the "postponement" was very short and Argentina had a boat sailing around Europe picking up teams that wanted to attend.

Our first actual attendance at an Olympiad was Tel Aviv 1964.

Cheers
Denis

DJ

machomortensen
21-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Thank you very much, Denis.

I am glad that Larsen wasn't totally wrong at all. In february - when I still was down under - Guy West recommended that book for me. Quite irritating that I didn't got it, because I knew I saw it in a second store in Sydney...

Cheers

HM (who in this days feels that "In Arsene we rust"...)