PDA

View Full Version : 2012 World Championship Match in Moscow

Garvinator
09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Press Release http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7442

The Federation Internationale des Echecs is pleased to announce that following the evaluation of the bids for the World Chess Championship Match 2012 and the recommendations by the World Championship and Olympiad Commission, it has awarded the organization of the match to the Russian Chess Federation.

The match will be held in May 2012 in Moscow, Russia and offers the World Champion Vishwanthanan Anand from India, and the Challenger Boris Gelfand from Israel, a prize fund of 2,550,000 US Dollars.

FIDE thanked the Russian Chess Federation for its winning bid and will work together with the RCF to ensure that the match is organized under the best conditions for both players.

The FIDE President, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov expressed his gratitude also to the All India Chess Federation who worked very hard to put in a very competitive bid with the support of the Government of Tamil Nadu.

In view of the commitment shown by the AICF and the appreciation of FIDE towards the development of chess in India, the AICF would be given a first option of three months following the match in Moscow, to make a proposal for the organization of the World Chess Championship Match 2013.

FIDE is further pleased to announce that the Women’s World Chess Championship Match between Women World Champion Hou Yifan from China and the Challenger Humpy Koneru from India, will be held in Tirana, Albania in November 2011 for a prize fund of 200,000 Euros.

ER
09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Congratulations to
Russia the know one thing or two about Chess :clap:
India A force to be reckoned with! :clap:
Albania Good luck to the new kids on the block! :clap:

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm pleased in a way it's a neutral venue. On the other hand, Anand just had to defend his title on his opponent's turf so it wouldn't have been unfair for him to get to defend it at home and probably would have been another great thing for Indian chess.

Would be interesting to know the basis for the decision - ie whether the Moscow bid was actually superior or if this decision is political.

ER
09-08-2011, 02:44 PM
...Would be interesting to know the basis for the decision - ie whether the Moscow bid was actually superior or if this decision is political.

The amount of money offered by Moscow (*) seems to be a decisive factor, yet you never know since politics usually play a role as well!

(*) still roughly half of the money offered to Bobby in 1992 to attract him back to OTB chess!

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Gee this is becoming a bit silly. Re the above press release:

The following press release is not valid. It was sent to us in the morning and subsequently retracted by FIDE to make some final corrections. We will replaced the text as soon as the new version arrives, and draw your attention to this on our front page. We republish the original (retracted) version since it has already found its way to chess blogs on the Internet.

lost
09-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Congratulations to
Russia the know one thing or two about Chess :clap:
India A force to be reckoned with! :clap:
Albania Good luck to the new kids on the block! :clap:

JaK,

I am really pleased that Albania is hosting the Women's World Chess Championship as it will be great for the country.

Also having very strong ties with the Albanian community here in Australia, there is a chance that I may go to Albania to report on this event.

I will be open to any media outlet, chess magazine to be an official reporter live at the event if they are interested. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me by private message or by email address at jchess7@gmail.com

lost (Jamie Kenmure)

Adamski
10-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Tirana is a well-known venue for Chess. Good luck to them with the WWCC match.

I assume Boris is ok about playing in Russia.

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
The amount of money offered by Moscow

From what I can tell the prize fund offered by Moscow is half the total budget offered by Chennai. I don't know what Chennai's prize fund would have been on that basis.

Garvinator
10-08-2011, 01:24 AM
From what I can tell the prize fund offered by Moscow is half the total budget offered by Chennai. I don't know what Chennai's prize fund would have been on that basis.Of course we are all speculating, but perhaps at least some of the decision was made on security concerns. Not that Moscow is completely safe :uhoh: . That being said, Fide have held tournaments in questionable areas from a safety point of view.

lost
10-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Tirana is a well-known venue for Chess. Good luck to them with the WWCC match.

I assume Boris is ok about playing in Russia.

Tirana is a fantastic city and the Albanian culture is magnificant. You never know, I might make the trip there to experience it.

lost

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Press release has been re-released with only minor changes.

The Hindustan Times claims the prize fund for India would have been about the same.

Kevin Bonham
26-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Can't get excited about this match at all now. The way their ratings are going they will be rated about 4 and 20 in the world going into it.

Ian Rout
26-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Can't get excited about this match at all now. The way their ratings are going they will be rated about 4 and 20 in the world going into it.
I wouldn't read a lot into Anand's rating. He isn't going to reveal his opening preparation for a mere supertournament yet is only slightly lower rated than this time last year (and actually higher rated than two years ago), whereas the top two on the list are players on the way up with the freedom to give it everything every time.

The same is true of Gelfand, but he also starts from a lower point.

Bollard
26-01-2012, 08:19 PM
There are 2 possible interpretations for what is happening to Gelfand at Wijk aan Zee at the moment.

1. He's totally focused on his preparation for the match with Anand, and maybe playing here was a mistake.
2. He's totally out of form and is going to get spanked by Anand.

We can only hope that 1 is correct.

Adamski
27-01-2012, 11:46 PM
There are 2 possible interpretations for what is happening to Gelfand at Wijk aan Zee at the moment.

1. He's totally focused on his preparation for the match with Anand, and maybe playing here was a mistake.

I hope its not 2, but at least there is still plenty of time until May. Hopefully Boris will be competitive.

Jesper Norgaard
28-01-2012, 05:38 AM

I think he was already out of form playing this tourney, which was certainly a good idea (to play), you can't completely not play chess for half a year and expect immediately to be on WC level.

I think
3. He has been a bit unlucky from good positions until now, and of course had to brush off the dust and rust.

Gelfand just beat Ivanchuk by the way, so hold your breath - I think Anand will not find it so easy to beat Gelfand in the match (or in a particular game) even being a clear favorite.

It was an all-Magnus round where Aronian also lost and Magnus himself won against Topalov, from what looked like a slightly dubious attack.

Garrett
28-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I hope he gets smacked all over the place.

Jesper Norgaard
28-01-2012, 09:16 AM
You mean Gelfand against Anand?

Garrett
28-01-2012, 04:00 PM
You mean Gelfand against Anand?

Yes, your reply #16 was not in my browser when I typed that comment.

cheers Garrett.

Bollard
28-01-2012, 05:41 PM

Harsh :eek:

But then it's hard to get excited about a World Championship Match between the number 4 and number 16 rated players in the world.

Kevin Bonham
31-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Official site

http://moscow2012.fide.com

ER
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Official site

http://moscow2012.fide.com

I will be in New York City at the time and I will be observing with interest how the New Yorkers will follow the Moscow event.

I will be staying close to Central Park West (Columbus Circle) in Manhattan and since chess is hardly played at the Park these days my operational headquarters will be at the Marshall Chess Club (*) in the Village and of course a few streets down in Washington Square. (**)

I love to walk there along Broadway and turning right at the Tenth St, or the 5th Avenue which leads you almost straight to the venue.

If you don't wanna walk just jump in the subway and get off at Ninth Street - The NY Public Library is there too! The Club is a couple hundred yards away.

I am absolutely spewing because I will be away from NY during Mashall Chess Club's piece de resistance - the famous NY International Open to be held at St John's University Manhattan Campus in June. (***)

I will try to locate Chess Clubs in Boston, Washington DC, and Philadelphia (****) just to see the chess movement there!

(*) from previous experience Marshall Chess Club which, like our MCC, has its own private premises since 1931, is better to be visited during weekends since it's open from mid day to midnight with various social chess activities.

Of course the club is open all days of the week, but there are tournaments held on a daily basis and it's good to visit and see very strong american players competing but don't expect to have a social game.

(**) Playing chess in the public tables at the WS is an experience in itself and definitely not for the faint hearted! ;) The food stalls around the place are great though! :lol:

(***) It's the fifth time this great tournament is going to be staged and previous interstate and overseas participants are really amazed by the conditions of play and the general organisation! MCC's President Dr Frank Brady (no Fishcer related questions please unless he brings the topic for discussion himself) has arranged the following:

Hotel information: St. John's University (on the site of the tournament); private spacious rooms (most with great city and river views), shared bathroom: $70/single, $90 double ($63/$81 if reserved by May 15). Free high-speed wireless internet. Contact Marshall CC for reservations.

(****) Sorry Sprouty and Jono, but I won't be able to make it to either Arizona or Georgia this year! Next year maybe! :)

Back to the World Championship, sorry underdog softies but it's going to be a walkover! I predict that Gelfand will not win a single game and Vissy will absolutely terrorise him! :owned: :lol: (he won't, he is a nice guy) :)

Kevin Bonham
02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
From the Vic Champs thread:

If anyone thinks Gelfand is a rough chance to beat Anand you can get 4.75 at Pinnacle. Interesting... he's not a bad match player it seems.

Does anyone know who will be on Gelfand's team for the match? We could have a rare situation where a World Championship contender has seconds who are stronger than he is. I'm thinking that maybe the assistance given to each player by others is adding to the uncertainty for punters - there's a possibility on paper that Gelfand will be able to play above his level.

Gelfand's surprise strong performance in the 2007 World Champs tournament might also be taken as more evidence that he can mix it at WC level.

I still expect it to be a one-sided match though, and I take all the diplomatic statements from various greats about how close it will be as evidence of this. :lol:

Will add poll shortly.

Goughfather
02-05-2012, 06:07 PM

Careful Garrett, you'll be branded an anti-Semite by Jono for comments like that.

Seriously though, I know everyone loves Vishy, but what's wrong with Gelfand?

Garrett
02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Careful Garrett, you'll be branded an anti-Semite by Jono for comments like that.

Seriously though, I know everyone loves Vishy, but what's wrong with Gelfand?

My comment was based on the perception that the FIDE candidate selection process was flawed.

That is all.

Personally, from what I have read, they are both very nice people.

cheers
Garrett.

Kevin Bonham
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm very impressed with Gelfand's efforts in making it this far but I also think his result is devalued by the candidate selection process. I don't think a Gelfand victory would do the concept of the world title any favours at all - ideally, the system should produce a champion who is a credible claimant to the title of the best player alive at the time of the match. The "classical" lineage of the title has generally done that.

I do think Kasparov's claim that:

The uniqueness of the forthcoming match, as I see it, is in the fact that for the first time in the modern World Chess Championships history, the match between the legitimate world champion and a legitimate candidate won't be a fight for the title of the strongest chess player of the world

...is twaddle. Especially Kasparov's own match against Short, which presumably he would consider legitimate, was not a fight for the title of strongest player in the world. Hardly anyone would have considered Short the strongest if he won.

AlexDavies
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Hardly anyone would have considered Short the strongest if he won.

If Short had won, he probably would have been a bit stronger than we had thought. And with extra opportunities and confidence, perhaps he could have improved his playing strength a bit more, at least in match-play.

Perhaps Kasparov would have given up chess in disgust, made a few billion on developing NyetScape or something, and have been followed by all the other top Russians. If Nosher Git had vanquished Kasparov, Chess in Russia and Eastern Europe might have lost its status, and potential challengers to Short might never have taken up the game. (When Fischer won, it wasn't so damaging to the collective psyche, because Fischer was clearly the best Westerner for decades, and Spassky, while a deserving Champion, wasn't Kasparov).

Without a valid World Champion, perhaps the title would have been devalued, reducing sponsorship even further and driving away chess talent to other fields like poker, financial engineering, and cyber crime. In the chess world, perhaps it would have become the era of Short.

And, with the power of hindsight in this alternate reality, perhaps KB-2 would now be saying slightly nicer things about this Short-2 :)

Vlad
03-05-2012, 12:58 PM
...is twaddle. Especially Kasparov's own match against Short, which presumably he would consider legitimate, was not a fight for the title of strongest player in the world. Hardly anyone would have considered Short the strongest if he won.

I think Kasparov meant that neither Anand nor Gelfand are the strongest at the moment. When Kasparov played Short at least Kasparov himself was # 1 in the world.

Agent Smith
03-05-2012, 05:38 PM
I think Kasparov meant that neither Anand nor Gelfand are the strongest at the moment. When Kasparov played Short at least Kasparov himself was # 1 in the world.

Maybe, but i'm not sure that Anand *isn't* the strongest player at match-play.
He has an amazing talent, focus and demeanour. And in Kramnik's recent interview,
he finds it hard to separate Anand and Kasparov.

Perhaps it'll better settle the issue if he really beats up Boris... though i'm
not writing the Israeli off, and hope he wins myself - but tipped a narrow
victory for Anand

Kevin Bonham
03-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Even then it's a dubious claim. In 2010 when Anand played Topalov, Carlsen was already world #1, though not by much. In 2004 when Kramnik played Leko, Kasparov was still world #1.

Capablanca-Fan
05-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Especially Kasparov's own match against Short, which presumably he would consider legitimate, was not a fight for the title of strongest player in the world. Hardly anyone would have considered Short the strongest if he won.
Why do you say that? Kasparov was clearly the best player in the world at the start of the match, so if Short had won a decent-length match against him, he would have been considered the strongest. To get to this stage, he had already convincingly defeated Karpov and Timman, who were left to play for the fake FIDE World Championship.

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Why do you say that? Kasparov was clearly the best player in the world at the start of the match, so if Short had won a decent-length match against him, he would have been considered the strongest.

I don't think so. I think the majority view would have been that such a result was simply a gigantic upset and that despite the loss Kasparov was still the better player. Even when Kramnik took the title from Kasparov there were many people who still considered Kasparov was somewhat the better player. He had just, for various reasons, had a bad match against an opponent who happened to have a good strategy for combating him head to head.

Tony Dowden
06-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't think so. I think the majority view would have been that such a result was simply a gigantic upset and that despite the loss Kasparov was still the better player. Even when Kramnik took the title from Kasparov there were many people who still considered Kasparov was somewhat the better player. He had just, for various reasons, had a bad match against an opponent who happened to have a good strategy for combating him head to head.

Agreed. Surely Kasparov would have been the heavy favourite for a second Kasparov-Kramnik match over, say, 24 games. Analagously, I don't think everyone thought Dr Euwe was suddenly better than Alekhine (or Capablanca) when he won the world title in 1935. (Not bad for a non-professional though!)

Capablanca-Fan
07-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Almost seems like we are getting into "Is the world champ the best player in the world?" Would have been doubtful with Euwe, although it's not clear that he had any superiors during his short reign. Could be argued about Botvinnik and Petrosian as well, and there are those who thought that Fischer was the strongest till well after he forfeited the title. However, I don't have any problem with including Euwe, Petrosian, and Kramnik as worthy world champs in the line of Steinitz, and would have considered Short that as well if he had defeated Kasparov.

Desmond
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Almost seems like we are getting into "Is the world champ the best player in the world?" Or, is match play still an appropriate way to determine the world champ?

Agent Smith
07-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Or, is match play still an appropriate way to determine the world champ?
Yes, this is the question.
But taking as granted that Chess is a boring old game :) , i suppose it is.
Anyway - Carlsen is playing the Challengers cycle next year or whenever, so that'll be exciting.

peter_parr
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
The match starts this week and I published a few games in the SMH column 7 May 2012.

Read more in the SMH (7 May 2012 column). (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Would have been doubtful with Euwe, although it's not clear that he had any superiors during his short reign.

Chessmetrics rankings, such as they are, show Euwe as #1 for most of his reign, with Botvinnik and Capablanca also #1 at times, and often very little between these three, Alekhine and at times Reshevsky and Flohr. There are many "first among equals" cases where the world champion has been not clearly #1 in the world, but I think any cases where the world champion is clearly not #1 in the world (even of those willing to participate) are more problematic for the meaning of the title.

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2012, 09:31 PM
The first game is Friday night. There are games on:

May 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, playoff 30 if required

Games start 15:00 Moscow time. They are six hours behind us so start here (Aus eastern time) should be a relatively friendly 9 pm. If there's a playoff it starts three hours earlier.

Time control is "120 minutes for the first 40 moves, 60 minutes for the next 20 moves and then 15 minutes for the rest of the game with an increment of 30 seconds per move starting after move 61 has been made."

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Leadup very quiet, probably because Topalov isn't involved.

Note that poll for predicting the result closes at 3:13 pm tomorrow.

Kevin Bonham
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Poll on http://www.anand-gelfand.com/

Anand wins match in regulation: 82%
Gelfand wins match in regulation: 10%
Anand wins match in tiebreak: 5%
Gelfand wins match in tiebreak: 4%

2538 votes

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Anand is white for game 1 meaning he will have the first white for the first three pairs of games. After that it switches (Chessbase in this (http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8146) report haven't cottoned on to this yet) so Gelfand will be white for game 7.

Agent Smith
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Everyman and his dog has written off Gelfand.

Go Boris! :clap:

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Anand and Gelfand have played something like 35 classical time control games. First nine were +5=3-1 in Gelfand's favour taking us up to 1993. Since then +5=21-0 - so at least while Gelfand hasn't beaten Anand in a long game for nineteen years, he doesn't lose to him too often either.

Gattaca
12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Aaaagh! Forgot to vote in the poll.

For the record, I'm with the three who tipped 7-5 to Anand. Just feel he has an edge tactically, whilst both are strong positional players.

Kevin Bonham
12-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Gelfand comfortably draws game 1 and could have hassled Anand more if he could be bothered, but probably wanted to save energy and have a crack with white tomorrow.

1.d4 g6 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.e4 Nxc3 7.bxc3 c5 8.Bb5+ Nc6 9.d5 Qa5 10.Rb1 a6 11.Bxc6+ bxc6 12.0-0 Qxa2 13.Rb2 Qa5 14.d6 Ra7 15.Bg5 exd6 16.Qxd6 Rd7 17.Qxc6 Qc7 18.Qxc7 Rxc7 19.Bf4 Rb7 20.Rc2 0-0 21.Bd6 Re8 22.Nd2 f5 23.f3 fxe4 24.Nxe4 Bf5 1/2-1/2

Agent Smith
12-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Great start to the tournament.

I wonder if the fact that the players are live on camera will adversely affect either player - esp Vishi.

Jesper Norgaard
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I wanted to put Gelfand - Anand 6.5-5.5, Anand losing the last game!

I realize Dr. Elo is against me. But Anand was down 4-0 and 5-1 in personal score against Gelfand, till he recovered to the current 6-5. Gelfand will probably surprise Vishy in this match more than once, I think he will try to be a fast-moving target in the openings. And I think Gelfand has a fair chance to get lucky. I think there will be at most 3 decisive games of the 12.

Isn't the polls closed a bit early? In FIFA WC you can bet right until the last matches who will take the cup. And it is still level, although 12-0 will now not be possible. :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Usually we close polls here either directly before the start of the event or after one or two games. Yes in sports betting you can bet at any stage but the odds change and predicting a certain outcome might be impressive if the prediction was made before the event, and less so if it was made half-way through. We prefer the recorded votes to be on an even footing and people can post later predictions in the thread.

Kevin Bonham
12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Game 2 rather boring draw.

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 e6 5.Nf3 a6 6.b3 Bb4 7.Bd2 Nbd7 8.Bd3 0-0 9.0-0 Bd6 10.Rc1 e5 11.cxd5 cxd5 12.e4 dxe4 13.Nxe4 Nxe4 14.Bxe4 Nf6 15.dxe5 Nxe4 16.exd6 Qxd6 17.Be3 Bf5 18.Qxd6 Nxd6 19.Nd4 Rfe8 20.Nxf5 Nxf5 21.Bc5 h5 22.Rfd1 Rac8 23.Kf1 f6 24.Bb4 Kh7 25.Rc5 1/2-1/2

peter_parr
14-05-2012, 02:02 PM
If ACF and State Associations sent a few brief press releases to newspapers over the next few weeks we would see an increasing interest in chess from the general public.

I have once again organized extra coverage in the SMH with a number of extra chess columns throughout the match.
The SMH has millions of readers.
SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

40 years ago I was covering the world title match on regular television appearances over a 2 month period and covered world title matches in the SMH since 1978. (no matches 1973-1977)

Media coverage is most important even if only a brief mention in smaller newspapers.

Maybe the ACF has organized publicity from Ashley Rambukwella the former ACF publicity officer who is attending the 2012 match in Moscow?

State publicity officers should also be busy with world title match publicity.

Kevin Bonham
15-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Game 3 an interesting game. Anand got short of time and did not make the most of chances to reach various double-rook endings a pawn up. I am not sure whether any of those offered him great winning chances anyway. Apparently 23...Nb6 would have been best for black as it set up the nice line 24.Nc3 Rd5! when apparently a level ending can be reached. All the same a second draw with black should not harm Gelfand's confidence.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nb6 6.Nc3 Bg7 7.Be3 0-0 8.Qd2 e5 9.d5 c6 10.h4 cxd5 11.exd5 N8d7 12.h5 Nf6 13.hxg6 fxg6 14.0-0-0 Bd7 15.Kb1 Rc8 16.Ka1 e4 17.Bd4 Na4 18.Nge2 Qa5 19.Nxe4 Qxd2 20.Nxf6+ Rxf6 21.Rxd2 Rf5 22.Bxg7 Kxg7 23.d6 Rfc5 24.Rd1 a5 25.Rh4 Rc2 26.b3 Nb2 27.Rb1 Nd3 28.Nd4 Rd2 29.Bxd3 Rxd3 30.Re1 Rd2 31.Kb1 Bf5+ 32.Nxf5+ gxf5 33.Re7+ Kg6 34.Rc7 Re8 35.Rh1 Ree2 36.d7 Rb2+ 37.Kc1 Rxa2 1/2-1/2

Jesper Norgaard
15-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Game 3 an interesting game. Anand got short of time and did not make the most of chances to reach various double-rook endings a pawn up. I am not sure whether any of those offered him great winning chances anyway. Apparently 23...Nb6 would have been best for black as it set up the nice line 24.Nc3 Rd5! when apparently a level ending can be reached. All the same a second draw with black should not harm Gelfand's confidence.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nb6 6.Nc3 Bg7 7.Be3 0-0 8.Qd2 e5 9.d5 c6 10.h4 cxd5 11.exd5 N8d7 12.h5 Nf6 13.hxg6 fxg6 14.0-0-0 Bd7 15.Kb1 Rc8 16.Ka1 e4 17.Bd4 Na4 18.Nge2 Qa5 19.Nxe4 Qxd2 20.Nxf6+ Rxf6 21.Rxd2 Rf5 22.Bxg7 Kxg7 23.d6 Rfc5 24.Rd1 a5 25.Rh4 Rc2 26.b3 Nb2 27.Rb1 Nd3 28.Nd4 Rd2 29.Bxd3 Rxd3 30.Re1 Rd2 31.Kb1 Bf5+ 32.Nxf5+ gxf5 33.Re7+ Kg6 34.Rc7 Re8 35.Rh1 Ree2 36.d7 Rb2+ 37.Kc1 Rxa2 1/2-1/2

Daniel King gives pretty convincing analysis that 37.d7! Rcc2 38.Rc4! is giving very good winning chances, and is probably winning after 38...Rxc4 39.bxc4 h5 40.Kc1 Rd4 41.Kb2 Kf6 42.Rh7 and White is on 1.5 according to Houdini, and Black clearly fighting a downhill battle, for instance 42...Kg6 43.Kc3! Rd1 44.d8=Q Rxd8 45.Rxb7 with a very healthy and very dangerous c-pawn. Anand had used to much time to be able to figure out the finer points of the position. There is a neat variation 38...Rb2+ 39.Kc1 Rxa2 40.Rc8 Rf2 41.Re6+! Kh5 42.g4+! fxg4 43.Rc5+ or 41...Kf7 42.Rf6+! Kg7 43.Rg8+! and White's new queen will decide the battle.

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Game 4 boring draw

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 e6 5.Nf3 a6 6.b3 Bb4 7.Bd2 Nbd7 8.Bd3 0-0 9.0-0 Bd6 10.Qc2 e5 11.cxd5 cxd5 12.e4 exd4 13.Nxd5 Nxd5 14.exd5 Nf6 15.h3 Bd7 16.Rad1 Re8 17.Nxd4 Rc8 18.Qb1 h6 19.Nf5 Bxf5 20.Bxf5 Rc5 21.Rfe1 Rxd5 22.Bc3 Rxe1+ 23.Rxe1 Bc5 24.Qc2 Bd4 25.Bxd4 Rxd4 26.Qc8 g6 27.Bg4 h5 28.Qxd8+ Rxd8 29.Bf3 b6 30.Rc1 Rd6 31.Kf1 a5 32.Ke2 Nd5 33.g3 Ne7 34.Be4 Kg7 draw

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Daniel King gives pretty convincing analysis that 37.d7! Rcc2 38.Rc4! is giving very good winning chances, and is probably winning after 38...Rxc4 39.bxc4 h5 40.Kc1 Rd4 41.Kb2 Kf6 42.Rh7 and White is on 1.5 according to Houdini, and Black clearly fighting a downhill battle, for instance 42...Kg6 43.Kc3! Rd1 44.d8=Q Rxd8 45.Rxb7 with a very healthy and very dangerous c-pawn. Anand had used to much time to be able to figure out the finer points of the position. There is a neat variation 38...Rb2+ 39.Kc1 Rxa2 40.Rc8 Rf2 41.Re6+! Kh5 42.g4+! fxg4 43.Rc5+ or 41...Kf7 42.Rf6+! Kg7 43.Rg8+! and White's new queen will decide the battle.

These move numbers at the start are out by 3, it is 34.d7 etc. There is a video with Daniel King showing those lines at http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8157 . He also shows a nice line with 34.d7 Rd1+ 35.Kb2 Rd2+ 36.Ka3 Rcc2 37.Ka4 Rxa2+ 38.Kb5 Rab2 39.Kb6 Rxb3+ 40.Kc7 h5 41.f4 Rc3+ 42.Kd8 and white is apparently winning. It does seem pretty convincing to me (and I've had a go at knocking it over too!).

Jesper Norgaard
16-05-2012, 08:23 AM
These move numbers at the start are out by 3, it is 34.d7 etc. There is a video with Daniel King showing those lines at http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8157 . He also shows a nice line with 34.d7 Rb1+ 35.Kb2 Rd2+ 36.Ka3 Rcc2 37.Ka4 Rxa2+ 38.Kb5 Rab2 39.Kb6 Rxb3+ 40.Kc7 h5 41.f4 Rc3+ 42.Kd8 and white is apparently winning. It does seem pretty convincing to me (and I've had a go at knocking it over too!).

O sorry about the move numbers. However, my question as white would be what to play against 34.d7 Rd1+!? 35.Kb2 Rd2+ 36.Ka3 Rcc2 for instance 37.Ka4 Rxa2+ 38.Kb5 Rab2 looks unconvincing for white for me. Maybe that was what Anand was afraid of? I don't have a box here to check it with though (like Houdini).

Draw in game 4.

Kevin Bonham
16-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Sorry, my typo this time as it was indeed 34...Rd1+ that was the start of the line (not 34...Rb1+ as I originally had!).

I looked at 41...Rb4 as an alternative to ...Rc3+ in King's line (King goes into the ideas in some depth in his video). The idea is black gives up one rook for the pawn and tries to hold with a few passed pawns for the rook - it's very close but the draw is not quite there. In the ...Rc3+ line everything I look at blows out well above +2, which is not to say for sure there are no draws there but it doesn't look like there are any.

Jesper Norgaard
16-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Instead of Rc3+ I played b5 and both pawns are rolling, white can't play d8Q because of Rc3+ so white basically looks busted, but Houdini just calmly plays Kd8! anyhow followed by Ke8 - it's actually a quick attack on the black king. Especially if you get in f4 with white. The idea after Rbd3 which apparently stops all advance of the white d-pawn, is Rg3+ Kf6 (Kh6 no good because of Reg7 with a mating attack) Rf7+ Ke6 Rg6+ Kd5 d8=Q+ and the roof comes down. It always seems that with the peculiar maneuver of the white king to e8, White's attack on the black king is quicker than the queenside pawns. Perhaps there is a chance somewhere to get a draw by giving up a rook for the d-pawn, and still have the queenside pawns rolling, but somehow I just don't believe it.

It's really amazing variations, and something Anand would have absolutely no chance to fathom OTB with very little time on the clock. I wonder if he saw some of this. 34.Rc7 is safer, but then the position fizzles out.

peter_parr
17-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Extra columns covering the world championship in the Sydney Morning Herald 17 May 2012 (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm).

Any other press releases or coverage in the Australian media?

The highest title of all is that of world champion.

Radio and media in Australia take note of press releases.

Publicity officers Australia wide will be very busy!

More chess everywhere.

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Not sure this match is such a great advertisement to use for building interest in the game. Especially not when even a switch to e4 brings no excitement:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 b5 9.Nd5 Be7 10.Bxf6 Bxf6 11.c4 b4 12.Nc2 0-0 13.g3 a5 14.Bg2 Bg5 15.0-0 Be6 16.Qd3 Bxd5 17.cxd5 Nb8 18.a3 Na6 19.axb4 Nxb4 20.Nxb4 axb4 21.h4 Bh6 22.Bh3 Qb6 23.Bd7 b3 24.Bc6 Ra2 25.Rxa2 bxa2 26.Qa3 Rb8 27.Qxa2 draw

Don't know why not 22.Qc4, perhaps the press conference will reveal this.

Garrett
18-05-2012, 05:00 AM
at least Gelfand had the courage to try the Sveshy.

There are many ways for White to make a tough struggle there ....

Basil
18-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Not sure this match is such a great advertisement to use for building interest in the game.
Word.

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Thus far, Anand just doesn't seem to be playing all that incisively, probably because he is afraid of losing even one game in such a short match against an opponent he doesn't beat that often, while Gelfand seems happy to just keep getting draws. Maybe we will get something interesting out of games 6-7 with Gelfand white in both but so far we've had 3 pretty dull games out of 5. It's just about living down to my expectations.

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Not a lotta juice in this one either. Anand's 14...0-0 sacrificing a pawn is apparently new but it's pretty clear that white can't do much if he keeps it, so he returned it and the position had not that much life in it. Six draws in a row and six to go.

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 e6 5.Nf3 a6 6.Qc2 c5 7.cxd5 exd5 8.Be2 Be6 9.0-0 Nc6 10.Rd1 cxd4 11.Nxd4 Nxd4 12.Rxd4 Bc5 13.Rd1 Qe7 14.Bf3 0-0 15.Nxd5 Nxd5 16.Bxd5 Bxd5 17.Rxd5 Rac8 18.Bd2 Bxe3 19.Bc3 Bb6 20.Qf5 Qe6 21.Qf3 f6 22.h4 Qc6 23.h5 Rfd8 24.Rxd8+ Rxd8 25.Qxc6 bxc6 26.Re1 Kf7 27.g4 Bd4 28.Rc1 Bxc3 29.Rxc3 Rd4 1/2-1/2

peter_parr
19-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Ideal time for ACF Press Release to the media.

The World Championship Match (prize fund $ 2.55 million) in Moscow is very tense with a 3-3 score at the half-way stage. etc etc.

Most press would not have space for games (except SMH) but would print ACF short press release.

World Title match only once every two years.

An opportunity not to be missed !

Laserlite
19-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Ideal time for ACF Press Release to the media.

The World Championship Match (prize fund $ 2.55 million) in Moscow is very tense with a 3-3 score at the half-way stage. etc etc.

Most press would not have space for games (except SMH) but would print ACF short press release.

World Title match only once every two years.

An opportunity not to be missed !
Good thinking .
Who is the media liaison officer at the ACF ?

Desmond
19-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Feeling pretty good right about now for being the only person to predict a tie.:cool:

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Not a single game has yet made the move 40 first time control!

kelesis
19-05-2012, 04:29 PM
boring

Capablanca-Fan
20-05-2012, 10:24 PM
boring
Warning: don't drive or operate heavy machinery after playing through these match games.

peter_parr
21-05-2012, 01:34 AM
stop press: Alert all media!

press release:

Boris wins:

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Gelfand wins!

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 e6 5.e3 a6 6.c5 Nbd7 7.Qc2 b6 8.cxb6 Nxb6 9.Bd2 c5 10.Rc1 cxd4 11.exd4 Bd6 12.Bg5 0-0 13.Bd3 h6 14.Bh4 Bb7 15.0-0 Qb8 16.Bg3 Rc8 17.Qe2 Bxg3 18.hxg3 Qd6 19.Rc2 Nbd7 20.Rfc1 Rab8 21.Na4 Ne4 22.Rxc8+ Bxc8 23.Qc2 g5 24.Qc7 Qxc7 25.Rxc7 f6 26.Bxe4 dxe4 27.Nd2 f5 28.Nc4 Nf6 29.Nc5 Nd5 30.Ra7 Nb4 31.Ne5 Nc2 32.Nc6 Rxb2 33.Rc7 Rb1+ 34.Kh2 e3 35.Rxc8+ Kh7 36.Rc7+ Kh8 37.Ne5 e2 38.Nxe6 1-0

The game went out of theory very quickly with Anand using about 15 mins around move 8. In the press conference Anand was very negative about pretty much the whole game.

The odd thing was that after 16.Bg3 instead of the messier Bxf6 a lot of us were expecting another boring draw and the computers were not interested in white's position. Indeed 19.Rc2 was considered harmless and at that stage Houdini is only giving white about +0.1, but within a few moves black was in big trouble. 20...Rab8 seemed slightly odd, then 21...Ne4 was quite surprising (but I am not convinced ...Rxc2 really equalises and there are a heck of a lot of white ideas black needs to examine there) and then 23...g5 is obviously miserable but by that stage practically at least black's position seems quite unpleasant even though some of the computers don't mind it (perhaps it is worse beyond the horizon they can see). And after that the wheels fell off.

Jesper Norgaard
21-05-2012, 04:00 AM
Gelfand wins!

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 e6 5.e3 a6 6.c5 Nbd7 7.Qc2 b6 8.cxb6 Nxb6 9.Bd2 c5 10.Rc1 cxd4 11.exd4 Bd6 12.Bg5 0-0 13.Bd3 h6 14.Bh4 Bb7 15.0-0 Qb8 16.Bg3 Rc8 17.Qe2 Bxg3 18.hxg3 Qd6 19.Rc2 Nbd7 20.Rfc1 Rab8 21.Na4 Ne4 22.Rxc8+ Bxc8 23.Qc2 g5 24.Qc7 Qxc7 25.Rxc7 f6 26.Bxe4 dxe4 27.Nd2 f5 28.Nc4 Nf6 29.Nc5 Nd5 30.Ra7 Nb4 31.Ne5 Nc2 32.Nc6 Rxb2 33.Rc7 Rb1+ 34.Kh2 e3 35.Rxc8+ Kh7 36.Rc7+ Kh8 37.Ne5 e2 38.Nxe6 1-0

The game went out of theory very quickly with Anand using about 15 mins around move 8. In the press conference Anand was very negative about pretty much the whole game.

The odd thing was that after 16.Bg3 instead of the messier Bxf6 a lot of us were expecting another boring draw and the computers were not interested in white's position. Indeed 19.Rc2 was considered harmless and at that stage Houdini is only giving white about +0.1, but within a few moves black was in big trouble. 20...Rab8 seemed slightly odd, then 21...Ne4 was quite surprising (but I am not convinced ...Rxc2 really equalises and there are a heck of a lot of white ideas black needs to examine there) and then 23...g5 is obviously miserable but by that stage practically at least black's position seems quite unpleasant even though some of the computers don't mind it (perhaps it is worse beyond the horizon they can see). And after that the wheels fell off.

Already after 11.exd4 I feel that blacks position from a strategic perspective is quite bad. White has the pawn majority on the queenside, gets the c-file and the pawn on e6 is pretty miserable. Additionally the bishop c8/b7 is quite bad and was actually lost in the game. Three reasons to win for white was enough for Gelfand. Anand was reported to be quite pissed in the press conference. Is the loser actually obliged to participate? It is a little cruel after such a game.

Isn't 7...b6 already kind of non-standard for the Chebanenko Slav? It's sort of what white hopes for when he plays 6.c5.

I do think this win came too early for Gelfand - he just might have awaken the sleeping lion. This would have been much better around game 11 or 12, when Anand would feel sure to go to the rapid tie-break.

My bet to 6˝-5˝ for Gelfand is off. ;)

Desmond
21-05-2012, 06:58 AM
stop press: Alert all media!

press release:

Boris wins:Nice finish too; Black queens but get mated anyway.

Igor_Goldenberg
21-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Didn't see the commentries yet, but it looks like 23...Bb7 (24.Qc7 Rc8!) was better then 23...g5

Igor_Goldenberg
21-05-2012, 11:14 AM
When I turned the broadcast on last night Marina predicted the Gelfand is going to win - just by looking at their body language and facial expression!

peter_parr
21-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Exclusive World Championship coverage.
Only in the SMH

See extra column 18 May 2012 (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

Any press releases? Any other coverage in Australia of the world title match 2012?

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Is the loser actually obliged to participate? It is a little cruel after such a game.

Yes, both players are required to attend. I think the loser should be exempt.

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Ian Rogers gave ?? for 10...cxd4 (instead of ...Nfd7) in his Crikey article (available in full to subscribers only).

Ian_Rogers
21-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Actually anyone can see the Crikey.com World Championship articles by registering for a free temporary subscription.

Agent Smith
21-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Ian Rogers gave ?? for 10...cxd4 (instead of ...Nfd7) in his Crikey article (available in full to subscribers only).
r1bqkb1r/5ppp/pn2pn2/2pp4/3P4/2N1PN2/PPQB1PPP/2R1KB1R b Kkq - 1 10

Too casual. Leko suggested that 10…Nfd7! was the most precise move, after which Black can maintain his c5 pawn and leave White’s pieces misplaced.
cxd4 does seem to give white an entrenched pawn on d4, and open file for his doubled rook/queen, but Critter-1.4 cant suggest anything better.
depth 22 [+0.09] 10. ... cxd4 exd4 Bd6 Bd3 O-O O-O Bb7

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Gelfand blundered horribly in game 8, wasting his lead and an interesting position.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.f3 c5 4.d5 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.Ne2 0-0 7.Nec3 Nh5 8.Bg5 Bf6 9.Bxf6 exf6 10.Qd2 f5 11.exf5 Bxf5 12.g4 Re8+ 13.Kd1 Bxb1 14.Rxb1 Qf6?? 15.gxh5 Qxf3+ 16.Kc2 Qxh1 17.Qf2 and black resigns. His best is 17...Nc6 but after 18.dxc6 Qxc6 19.Bd3 he will soon have to give up rook for knight and be a piece down so there is not much hope of saving.

Max points out this seems to be the shortest win in a World Champs final match.

peter_parr
22-05-2012, 12:06 AM
steinitz - zukertort 1872 world title match 19 moves quickest win record!

former ACF Publicity Officer Ashley Rambukwella emailed me from post match game 8 interviews in Moscow.

Great game by Vishy! All Australia needs is a press release from ACF.

World record smashed in Moscow!

Full report to follow in SMH.

flushfyre
22-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Also note the question asked in the post-match press conference asked by Ian Rogers.

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2012, 12:34 AM
steinitz - zukertort 1872 world title match 19 moves quickest win record!

Actually there was no 1872 world title match. There was a match Steinitz - Zukertort in 1872 but it was not for the world title (which did not exist as such then) and there was no 19 move win in it.

The correct year of Steinitz's 19-move world title match win over Zukertort was 1886:

1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.f4 exf4 4.d4 d5 5.exd5 Qh4+ 6.Ke2 Qe7+ 7.Kf2 Qh4+ 8.g3 fxg3+ 9.Kg2 Nxd4 10.hxg3 Qg4 11.Qe1+ Be7 12.Bd3 Nf5 13.Nf3 Bd7 14.Bf4 f6 15.Ne4 Ngh6 16.Bxh6 Nxh6 17.Rxh6 gxh6 18.Nxf6+ Kf8 19.Nxg4 1-0

Unfortunately this date error occurs on at least four internet sites; it is possible that Bill Wall is the culprit since his is the oldest of these.

Max Illingworth
22-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Also note the question asked in the post-match press conference asked by Ian Rogers.

What was the question? For some reason I can't view the video right now.

peter_parr
22-05-2012, 12:17 PM
More coverage, more games in the clash of the titans!

See SMH column 21 May 2012 (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

Capablanca-Fan
22-05-2012, 01:48 PM
More coverage, more games in the clash of the titans!

See SMH column 21 May 2012 (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)
Anand 3 v Gelfand 3

Peter Parr (21/5/12)

The first six games in the 12-game World Championship Match in Moscow have all been drawn. Vishy Anand (India, the title-holder ) gained a significant advantage in game 3 but became short of time and Challenger Boris Gelfand (Israel) fought back to draw. Games 5 and 6 each led to a slight advantage to white from the opening which was neutralised resulting in equal endgames.

Game 5 V.Anand 2791 v B.Gelfand 2727 B33 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 d4 cxd4 4 Nxd4 Nf6 5 Nc3 e5 6 Ndb5 d6 7 Bg5 a6 8 Na3 b5 9 Nd5 Be7 10 Bxf6 Bxf6 11 c4 b4 12 Nc2 0-0 13 g3 a5 14 Bg2 Bg5 15 0-0 Be6 16 Qd3 Bxd5!? (A novelty – 16..Qb8 is usual) 17 cxd5 Nb8 18 a3 Na6 19 axb4 Nxb4 20 Nxb4 axb4 21 h4 Bh6 22 Bh3 (Qc4 seems better) Qb6 23 Bd7 b3 24 Bc6 Ra2 25 Rxa2 bxa2 26 Qa3 Rb8 27 Qxa2 draw agreed

Game 6 B.Gelfand 2727 v V.Anand 2791 D45 1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 e3 e6 5 Nf3 a6 6 Qc2 c5 7 cxd5 exd5 8 Be2 Be6 9 0-0 Nc6 10 Rd1 cxd4 11 Nxd4 Nxd4 12 Rxd4 Bc5 13 Rd1 Qe7 14 Bf3 0-0 15 Nxd5 Bxd5 16 Bxd5 Nxd5 17 Rxd5 Rac8 18 Bd2 (Gelfand returns the pawn and is slightly better – if 18 Qe2 Rfd8) Bxe3 19 Bc3 Bb6 20 Qf5 Qe6 21 Qf3 f6 22 h4 Qc6 23 h5 Rfd8 24 Rxd8+ Rxd8 25 Qxc6 bxc6 26 Re1 Kf7 27 g4 Bd4 28 Rc1 Bxc3 29 Rxc3 Rd4 draw agreed

Colours are reversed for the second-half of the match so Gelfand will play white again in game seven. Gelfand will be gaining confidence in his first World Title Match although Anand is expected to retain his title.

Agent Smith
22-05-2012, 04:48 PM
What seems to be forgotten are that world championship contenders are only incidentally entertainers. When the stakes are high — as here with a world title that has changed hands only 14 times in history, plus $1.5 million going to the winner — their sole focus is on winning.
I'm still hurting from last night.... Come on Boris, get tight again. Anand will give you nothing.

Garrett
22-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I think the world championship has "changed hands" more than 14 times....

Ian_Rogers
22-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I think the world championship has "changed hands" more than 14 times....

Mea culpa. The phrase was supposed to be shorthand for there only being 15 World Champions, which could of course start another debate...

machomortensen
23-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Some gossip...

The national russian footballteam is living at the same hotel as "Team Anand". I hope to get Andrei Arshavins autograph...

peter_parr
23-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Extra! Extra!

All 8 games of the world championship match have been published in the Sydney Morning Herald with both regular columns on Mondays and extra columns to cover the great match.

See the latest column SMH 23th May 2012. (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

Game 9 tonight

machomortensen
23-05-2012, 02:26 PM
The link doesn't work... No games newer than the 6th.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2012, 02:37 PM
The link doesn't work... No games newer than the 6th.

Need to refresh the page. Worked for me anyhow.

Capablanca-Fan
23-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Need to refresh the page. Worked for me anyhow.
But for how long? I thought PP had already been asked to summarize his posts, not give an ephemeral hyperlink.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2012, 04:22 PM
But for how long? I thought PP had already been asked to summarize his posts, not give an ephemeral hyperlink.

We do strongly encourage people to give permanent links to the post in question or else post the content here, as an alternative to using links that become outdated or make the material difficult to find, but we are not currently forcing them to get it right.

Full text of moderation comment on this: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=332998

Tony Dowden
23-05-2012, 09:11 PM
boring
less boring now :cool:

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Pretty strange though. Anand played a rather bad game in game 7 (though I think Gelfand's play in that game was actually much stronger than a lot of us realised at the time) but game 8 was just bizarre. One explanation I've seen is that Gelfand was going all-out to see if he could win another one and make Anand's task to come back almost impossible, on the basis that even if he lost his position in the match was not too bad.

WhiteElephant
23-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Just heard a weird anti-Gelfand diatribe by Alex Yermolinsky on Chessfm...saying Gelfand keeps glancing at his opponents during games, pushes his chair hard, gets up abruptly, etc which puts his opponents off, and saying that other world champs would never behave like that. Is that true about Gelfand?

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Just heard a weird anti-Gelfand diatribe by Alex Yermolinsky on Chessfm...saying Gelfand keeps glancing at his opponents during games, pushes his chair hard, gets up abruptly, etc which puts his opponents off, and saying that other world champs would never behave like that.

I think Gelfand checking out his opponents' body language is pretty mild compared to Kasparov's death-stares.

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2012, 01:59 AM
A pretty interesting game with some slightly strange decisions by both players. Now Anand has two whites left out of three.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e3 0-0 5.Bd3 d5 6.Nf3 c5 7.0-0 dxc4 8.Bxc4 cxd4 9.exd4 b6 10.Bg5 Bb7 11.Qe2 Nbd7 12.Rac1 Rc8 13.Bd3 Bxc3 14.bxc3 Qc7 15.c4 Bxf3 16.Qxf3 Rfe8 17.Rfd1 h6 18.Bh4 Qd6 19.c5 bxc5 20.dxc5 Rxc5 21.Bh7+ Kxh7 22.Rxd6 Rxc1+ 23.Rd1 Rec8 24.h3 Ne5 25.Qe2 Ng6 26.Bxf6 gxf6 27.Rxc1 Rxc1+ 28.Kh2 Rc7 29.Qb2 Kg7 30.a4 Ne7 31.a5 Nd5 32.a6 Kh7 33.Qd4 f5 34.f4 Rd7 35.Kg3 Kg6 36.Qh8 Nf6 37.Qb8 h5 38.Kh4 Kh6 39.Qb2 Kg6 40.Qc3 Ne4 41.Qc8 Nf6 42.Qb8 Re7 43.g4 hxg4 44.hxg4 fxg4 45.Qe5 Ng8 46.Qg5+ Kh7 47.Qxg4 f6 48.Qg2 Kh8 49.Qe4 Kg7 1/2-1/2

Agent Smith
24-05-2012, 03:16 PM
The commentary *is* nice. Chess is so slow, even the adverts weren't really a problem for me.

The Russian organisers have managed to far outstrip their internet rivals by providing high-definition pictures of the games and the players.....

Four hours of watching two players sit at a table and move wooden pieces about every three minutes would probably be of interest only to those subscribing to Zen’s silent illumination. However, the directors of the Moscow world championship show have realised the importance of cutting between players and commentators and, most importantly, superimposing an analysis board, which allows the viewers at home to guess what might happen and the commentators to explain why it didn’t.

After the game, the press conference is broadcast, during which Viswanathan Anand and Boris Gelfand usually demonstrate that they were the only ones who really knew what was going on.

Garrett
24-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Grischuk playing blitz against a robot in a park.

Ian and Cathy Rogers visible in the crowd.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8183

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Two to go. Will someone drag out something big, or blunder, in the last two games or will we be off to playoffs?

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 e6 4.Bxc6 bxc6 5.b3 e5 6.Nxe5 Qe7 7.Bb2 d6 8.Nc4 d5 9.Ne3 d4 10.Nc4 Qxe4+ 11.Qe2 Qxe2+ 12.Kxe2 Be6 13.d3 Nf6 14.Nbd2 0-0-0 15.Rhe1 Be7 16.Kf1 Rhe8 17.Ba3 Nd5 18.Ne4 Nb4 19.Re2 Bxc4 20.bxc4 f5 21.Bxb4 cxb4 22.Nd2 Bd6 23.Rxe8 Rxe8 24.Nb3 c5 25.a3 draw

peter_parr
25-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Another lengthy report on the World Championship Match appears today Friday 25 May in The Sydney Morning Herald with millions of readers - more chess everywhere.

Agent Smith
26-05-2012, 05:07 PM
According to historian Edvard Radzinsky, who addressed the press corps during the tenth game of the World Chess Championship in Moscow, the era of political chess in Russia ended in 1985 with Mikhail Gorbachev’s perestroika.

Radzinsky mentioned that the end of the era might have come 13 years earlier, when the “terrible” American Bobby Fischer ascended to the world chess throne and “the advantages of our wonderful political system were put in question” but Fischer forfeited his title and normal service — USSR domination of the chess world — was resumed

In stark contrast, in 2012 Anand and Gelfand are under no political pressure to agree to a particular result. Unfortunately, the particular result that they seem to like is a draw

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/05/25/world-championship-chess-the-gulag-fianchetto/

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2012, 11:46 PM
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e3 0-0 5.Bd3 d5 6.Nf3 c5 7.0-0 dxc4 8.Bxc4 Bd7 9.a3 Ba5 10.Qe2 Bc6 11.Rd1 Bxc3 12.bxc3 Nbd7 13.Bd3 Qa5 14.c4 cxd4 15.exd4 Qh5 16.Bf4 Rac8 17.Ne5 Qxe2 18.Bxe2 Nxe5 19.Bxe5 Rfd8 20.a4 Ne4 21.Rd3 f6 22.Bf4 Be8 23.Rb3 Rxd4 24.Be3 Rd7 1/2-1/2

Gelfand used about 40 mins on move 9 and finished with about 13 mins on the clock.

Anand white in the last regulation game in two days.

Agent Smith
27-05-2012, 04:31 PM
r4rk1/pp1n1ppp/2b1pn2/q1p5/3P4/P1PBPN2/4QPPP/R1BR2K1 w - - 3 14

Move 14 Boris chose 14. ... c4, but engines prefered 14. ...e4 - would black dare to take pawn on c3 with his Queen, and get chased all over the place.

Anyway, the ending was a suprise because Boris only had 13 minutes left to Anands whole hour - but Chessbase says it was drawn on Anand's proposal.
Gelfand had previously taken 40 odd minutes for 9. a3, and a good 10 or 20 for 17. Ne5 too

But if it goes with the effort, i think Boris deserves to win :)

http://www.chessbase.com/news/2012/moscow/game11-04.jpg

AlexDavies
28-05-2012, 02:53 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/news/2012/moscow/game11-04.jpg

I'd be worried too if Death was looking over my shoulder.

Or maybe it's just Mark Zuckerberg or a video camera.

peter_parr
28-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Extra! Extra!
Extra SMH chess column published Friday 25th May. (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

george
29-05-2012, 12:12 AM
So Roadrunner is the only tipster who could possibly get the correct result:) .

Kevin Bonham
29-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes, and it's also possible nobody will, in our proud tipping tradition. :lol:

On move 10 the position seemed very unclear with Gelfand way behind on the clock, a recipe for disaster but six moves later after giving back the pawn then giving up another one he was fine.

Maybe Gelfand's defence has actually been very good but thinking back to other matches at this level I just feel Anand is missing the drive to find the most dangerous practical decisions for his opponent and that he has not pressed as much as he reasonably could. I guess if he blows Boris away in the playoff it all makes sense in retrospect but generally the match so far has seemed like the challenger who's not completely up to it against the champion who's not entirely there.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 e6 4.Bxc6 bxc6 5.d3 Ne7 6.b3 d6 7.e5 Ng6 8.h4 Nxe5 9.Nxe5 dxe5 10.Nd2 c4 11.Nxc4 Ba6 12.Qf3 Qd5 13.Qxd5 cxd5 14.Nxe5 f6 15.Nf3 e5 16.0-0 Kf7 17.c4 Be7 18.Be3 Bb7 19.cxd5 Bxd5 20.Rfc1 a5 21.Bc5 Rhd8 22.Bxe7 1/2-1/2

Agent Smith
29-05-2012, 06:32 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/news/2012/moscow/game12-03.jpg
but generally the match so far has seemed like the challenger who's not completely up to it against the champion who's not entirely there.
Hmmm. It definately would have been a different encounter if Carlsen or Aronian were playing.

http://www.chessbase.com/news/2012/moscow/rogers01.jpg
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8194
In the post-game conference, GM Ian Rogers asked the players what color they would choose for the Armageddon, inferring they would draw the possible fourteen speed chess games to follow.

Capablanca-Fan
29-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Rather a boring series, especially considering their record. Gelfand won their first five decisive games, but then Anand struck back with this brilliancy (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1018413), sacrificing a knight in the opening then following with quiet moves. Gelfand won only one classical game since, while Anand won six more. He has a fair lead in rapid, +10 -1 =18, so that is presumably what he is trying for. All the same, it's surprising that Gelfand has done better than the younger and higher rated players Topalov and Kramnik.

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Remember: playoff starts early - 6 pm tonight

Desmond
30-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Where is good to view the games live?

Ian_Rogers
30-05-2012, 06:27 PM
http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/

Desmond
30-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Kevin Bonham
30-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, and it's also possible nobody will, in our proud tipping tradition. :lol:

Yep!

Not sure whether nearest miss should go to road runner (right match score wrong playoff winner) or to Perpie and stevenaaus (who had Anand winning by the closest margins.)

Exciting playoff match, all four games were dramatic.

Capablanca-Fan
31-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Not sure whether nearest miss should go to road runner (right match score wrong playoff winner) or to Perpie and stevenaaus (who had Anand winning by the closest margins.)
Probably road runner, because he got one thing right; the others predicted the wrong main match score.

Desmond
31-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Interesting write-up on ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-31/world-champ-retains-title-in-speed-chess-showdown/4043284), although I think comparison with the 1984-5 K v K match is flattering.

Agent Smith
31-05-2012, 08:04 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/4043304-3x2-700x467.jpg

Kevin Bonham
31-05-2012, 08:27 PM
That photo was far and away the best bit of that article.

Alana
31-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Loving how no-one guessed this result in the polls haha

Desmond
01-06-2012, 06:06 AM
That photo was far and away the best bit of that article.Yeah not the best article I guess, just thought it was of interest given it was in the mainstream media.

Kevin Bonham
01-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah not the best article I guess, just thought it was of interest given it was in the mainstream media.

Yes it was interesting to see how a mainstream article billed it as a gripping contest when with the exception of the playoff matches many chessplayers found a lot of it pretty boring.

Igor_Goldenberg
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Wikipedia main page show it in the latest news with picture of Anand.

Adamski
01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
So I take it Anand was +1 after the pay-off?
Night all!

Goughfather
02-06-2012, 12:41 AM
So I take it Anand was +1 after the pay-off?
Night all!

Don't tell me that the match-fixing scandal infecting Pakistani cricket has now infiltrated Indian chess?

Adamski
02-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Don't tell me that the match-fixing scandal infecting Pakistani cricket has now infiltrated Indian chess?
LOL. Yet anothrr Adamski typo from the mobile.Was I right re play-off result?

Desmond
02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
LOL. Yet anothrr Adamski typo from the mobile.Was I right re play-off result?Yes Anand won the rapids 2.5-1.5.

peter_parr
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Russian President Putin, Indian Prime Minister Singh and Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu all commented very favorably on the World Title Match in Moscow. Extensive media coverage in newspaper and VIA internet has increased the popularity of chess worldwide.

Press releases in Australia by official chess publicity officers was a missed opportunity.

I have now covered world title matches for 40 years 1972-2012 on TV and the SMH.

The rapid play-off after 6-6 tie led to a gripping finish.
Congratulations to Vishy and Boris who have both played chess in Sydney.

Many hundreds of Australian children have however been shown the 17 move win by Anand by a number of private chess teachers.

Like many overseas quality newspapers all 12 games were published in the SMH plus the decisive rapid game in numerous regular columns and extra columns all updated on our web page.

Letters to editors of newspapers from the public of chess coverage is always useful for future chess articles.
See SMH for all columns. (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2012.htm)

Kevin Bonham
05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Anand's hit back at some of Kasparov's comments during the match, saying that Kasparov regrets giving up chess for politics and is showing that he wishes he was playing chess again.

Desmond
05-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Anand's hit back at some of Kasparov's comments during the match, saying that Kasparov regrets giving up chess for politics and is showing that he wishes he was playing chess again.
What were the comments?

Kevin Bonham
05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
What were the comments?

Mostly questioning Anand's motivation. Comments made during game 6; transcript at http://www.chess.co.uk/twic/chessnews/events/world-chess-championship-2012/anand-preparation-holds-gelfand-in-game-6-as-kasparov-opines