PDA

View Full Version : Chess Program- Review and Analyse Games

Maxwell843
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
What chess program or software do people recommend for analyzing games?

I have a rating of about 1500 and would like to use a program to improve my game. Are there any free programs on the net or I would be better off buying Fritz or such?

Cheers
Justin

Adamski
08-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I think you will need to spend money. I like Fritz 12 but others think Rybka stronger. i am happy to stay with my German Fred.

Kevin Bonham
08-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Old and beta versions of Rybka can be downloaded for free but setting them up to run smoothly with all features seems a bit tricky. If anyone has done this successfully they might want to run through the process.

Max Illingworth
08-08-2011, 11:38 PM

I have a rating of about 1500 and would like to use a program to improve my game. Are there any free programs on the net or I would be better off buying Fritz or such?

Cheers
Justin

A combination of ChessBase 11, Houdini and your own judgment is hard to beat.

antichrist
09-08-2011, 03:46 PM
A combination of ChessBase 11, Houdini and your own judgment is hard to beat.

I wonder if down the future people will look back to precomputer chess with nostaliga - just your favourite books and magazines

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I wonder if down the future people will look back to precomputer chess with nostaliga - just your favourite books and magazines

People already have.

jhughes
09-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Any decent engine will do, they will all defeat super GMs fairly and as such it doesn't really matter. Unless you're feeling generous, then I highly recommend that you download Scid or one of it's forks (as opposed to ChessBase or Chess Assistant), as it will almost certainly provide you with what you want (and then some!) and with one added bonus... it's free!

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
ChessBase Light (http://www.chessbase.com/download/download2.asp) is another good free database program, although I'm not sure if you can create new UCI engines on CB Light.

Garrett
09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
ChessBase Light (http://www.chessbase.com/download/download2.asp) is another good free database program, although I'm not sure if you can create new UCI engines on CB Light.

I don't think you can do much with ChessBase Light unless you buy a licence, although the licence was only around $40-00 when I looked into it.

cheers
Garrett.

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't think you can do much with ChessBase Light unless you buy a licence, although the licence was only around $40-00 when I looked into it.

cheers
Garrett.

I know that you used to be able to buy ChessBase Light Premium at a cheaper price than ChessBase, however ChessBase have stopped selling it. I have read and been told that ChessBase Light Premium was the same as ChessBase but without the databases that come with the Starter or Mega Package, though I haven't verified this myself.

It's been almost a decade since I last used ChessBase Light so I'm not familiar with its features.

Alana
14-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Cheers
Justin

Fruit :D

Agent Smith
16-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Scid vs. PC has a slightly overhauled "Annotation" feature to SCID (took me lots of coding actually).

Just start up any chess engine , press the notepad button, and configure the feature. Batch annotation is possible, and scores-only too if all you want is a game score graph.

I've never used commercial software, so maybe they have more features.

Adamski
16-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the hard work Steven. From a SCID user (more so before I acquired Fritz 12).

rqbxo
28-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I use my Fritz 8 that I bought in 2005 but I put the Fruit 2.2.1 engine in it and do full analysis.