PDA

View Full Version : My Hungarian Journey

Max Illingworth
05-08-2011, 12:19 AM
In the next one and a half months I will be playing in three tournaments in Hungary: The August First Saturday GM Tournament (from August 6-15), the August Kecskemet GM Tournament (August 20-29), and the September First Saturday GM Tournament (September 3-12). The dates could vary depending on whether the tournaments are nine or eleven rounds.

Yesterday I boarded a flight from Sydney to Frankfurt, stopping at Singapore, followed by a short flight from Frankfurt to Budapest. I had the great fortune of being upgraded from Premium Economy seats to Business Class seats. My initial impressions of the Medosz Hotel (in central Budapest), where I am staying, are very good. The city is beautiful and the food is very nice.

I will post brief daily updates of my experiences in Budapest and Kecskemet during my stay.

black
05-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the update!

I hope it leads to further growth as a player and that you enjoy your trip. Good luck!

Garrett
05-08-2011, 02:45 AM
good luck Max, look forward to the reports !

Tony Dowden
05-08-2011, 08:00 AM
good luck Max, look forward to the reports !

Yes, good luck Max. Hope you are a Saturday player ;) ... so can get the right proportions of sleep, prep, fun & getting your head in the right place :)

Basil
05-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Redmond Barry
05-08-2011, 06:01 PM
say hello to peter leko for me

Max Illingworth
06-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys.

After a hearty breakfast of eggs, yoghurt and fruit at the Medosz Hotel and lunch at a nearby Hungarian restaurant, I went on a four hour bus tour around Budapest, which was extremely tiring. I also watched most of the rapid tournament held in the hotel, which was won by GM Hrair Simonian with 6.5/7. The playing venue in the hotel is very nice, and I am looking forward to starting the event tomorrow.

ER
06-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys.

After a hearty breakfast of eggs, yoghurt and fruit at the Medosz Hotel and lunch at a nearby Hungarian restaurant, I went on a four hour bus tour around Budapest, which was extremely tiring. I also watched most of the rapid tournament held in the hotel, which was won by GM Hrair Simonian with 6.5/7. The playing venue in the hotel is very nice, and I am looking forward to starting the event tomorrow.

Good luck Max.
That explains the 2 am Hungarian dinner the other day! :P
Is mum with you? If yes say hi, if not I hope she reads this! :)
Earlier in the year in Sydney she told me that wonderful story of how you were first attracted to chess! (from the English castle looking down to that giant board)! :)
Lucky you are in Hungary during the best time of the year!

Adamski
06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Very best wishes for the coming tournament Max.

Max Illingworth
06-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Good luck Max.
That explains the 2 am Hungarian dinner the other day! :P
Is mum with you? If yes say hi, if not I hope she reads this! :)
Earlier in the year in Sydney she told me that wonderful story of how you were first attracted to chess! (from the English castle looking down to that giant board)! :)
Lucky you are in Hungary during the best time of the year!

Hi Elliott,

Yes, my mum is with me for the three tournaments. The average rating of the First Saturday GM tournament, which starts today, is 2416, and I am the 6th seed out of ten players.

Max Illingworth
06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
The games will be starting in five hours from now, however I don't think they are being broadcast live. Here is the official site (http://www.friweb.hu/firstsaturday/1108/index.htm).

ER
07-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Hi Elliott,

Yes, my mum is with me for the three tournaments. The average rating of the First Saturday GM tournament, which starts today, is 2416, and I am the 6th seed out of ten players.

Well all the best!
GO MAX! :)

Max Illingworth
07-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Today I had lunch at a very nice French restaurant and spent the time before the start of the round either on my laptop or waiting for the game to start at the venue. I drew the number eight in the drawing of lots.

I was Black against Janos Szabolcsi (2357) and unfortunately lost, botching a fine position in serious time pressure.

Adamski
07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Bad luck Max. Better luck for the rest of the event and the 2 following ones.

William AS
07-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys.

Good to see Max is enjoying the sights in Hungary. Best wishes and a word of warning - If you are not careful the airline may want to charge you double fare for the return flight. ;) :D

Max Illingworth
08-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Today I went for a walk around Budapest and had lunch at a nice French restaurant, before playing and eventually drawing against Zoltan Varga (2483). I've just come back from dinner at a Hungarian restaurant, which had a tasty meal of duck and Thai vegetables, but the French restaurant was somewhat nicer. I've been much happier since borrowing a fan to use in my room, and I intend to start swimming at some of the local pools from tomorrow. Next up I am Black against Levente Vajda (2504).

@William AS

I paid for my seat with Frequent Flyer points, so I shouldn't have any problems with my return flight.

Tony Dowden
08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Good to see you have points on the scoreboard but tell us some more about the games Max :)

Max Illingworth
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Good to see you have points on the scoreboard but tell us some more about the games Max :)

I'd like to, however my opponents may be able to use such information in their games against me! You can view and download the games here (http://www.friweb.hu/firstsaturday/1108/games.htm).

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Today I decided to limit my exercise to walking, since the nearest swimming centre with cold pools is at Margot Island (too far to travel). I ate a faultless lunch of turkey with mushroom sauce, rice and french fries, and my pre-game preparation consisted mostly of talking to friends online and listening to Rihanna. I had a short, 24-move draw with Levente Vajda when I accepted his draw offer in a close to equal position.

Tomorrow I am White against Vahe Baghdasaryan (2289).

Afitz
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Max, not sure where you are staying, but if you are near town, then you can always go to the local Hungarian springs....they have pools and spas at various temperatures. There is one to the south of the river which is more touristy, but one in one of the huge parks just to the north of the city which is more local - there are even chess boards you can play on around the pools too.

Make sure you get up the hill overlooking the river - gives a spectacular view over the city and in particular the houses of parliament!

ER
09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Max, not sure where you are staying, but if you are near town, then you can always go to the local Hungarian springs....they have pools and spas at various temperatures. There is one to the south of the river which is more touristy, but one in one of the huge parks just to the north of the city which is more local - there are even chess boards you can play on around the pools too.

Make sure you get up the hill overlooking the river - gives a spectacular view over the city and in particular the houses of parliament!

Lovely information about that great city Afitz! :clap: Makes one want to visit! :)

I'd like to, however my opponents may be able to use such information in their games against me!

Good strategy Max. BTW are you planning to spring out the old Budapest Defence at some stage? Just as a homage to the city of course! :)

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
@Afitz

Thanks for that information; I am staying in central Pest, near Andrassy ut. I've heard of the baths with the chess sets in the pools and intend to visit them after either the first or the third tournament.

I went to Gelet Hill on the aforementioned bus tour, though I may have been too tired to fully appreciate the views.

@JaK

If I recall correctly Ian used the Budapest Gambit in the final round of the 1985 Tallinn tournament, against Tibor Karolyi, to score his third GM norm. So a Budapest Gambit is not out of the question, not to mention the Benko Gambit, Maroczy Bind, Hungarian Attack in the King's Indian, Hungarian Defence or Hungarian Variation in the Sicilian. :lol:

ER
09-08-2011, 07:46 PM
(...)
@JaK
If I recall correctly Ian used the Budapest Gambit in the final round of the 1985 Tallinn tournament, against Tibor Karolyi, to score his third GM norm. So a Budapest Gambit is not out of the question, not to mention the Benko Gambit, Maroczy Bind, Hungarian Attack in the King's Indian, Hungarian Defence or Hungarian Variation in the Sicilian. :lol:

wow Max and I thought it was only James who's a walking chess (and not only) encyclopaedia! :lol: :clap:

BTW try to make some time to take mum to a restaurant or concert featuring gypsy violin music. Mrs Illingworth and yourself will absolutely love it. They do some amazing versions of Brahms's Hungarian Dances, Paganini's Campanella any myriads of other violin classics!

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 09:07 PM
wow Max and I thought it was only James who's a walking chess (and not only) encyclopaedia! :lol: :clap:

BTW try to make some time to take mum to a restaurant or concert featuring gypsy violin music. Mrs Illingworth and yourself will absolutely love it. They do some amazing versions of Brahms's Hungarian Dances, Paganini's Campanella any myriads of other violin classics!

I've already been to a few restaurants, such as Karcsi Vendeglo, Vian, Chess and Karma. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not interested in concerts, although my mum might attend one on a free day.

Tony Dowden
09-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd like to, however my opponents may be able to use such information in their games against me! You can view and download the games here (http://www.friweb.hu/firstsaturday/1108/games.htm).

:lol: You've already revealed quite a bit with all those gastronomic details!

:hmm: Telling them you listen to Rihanna could be a masterstroke though ;)

Max Illingworth
09-08-2011, 11:10 PM
:lol: You've already revealed quite a bit with all those gastronomic details!

:hmm: Telling them you listen to Rihanna could be a masterstroke though ;)

:lol:

Adamski
09-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Congratulations Max on 2 draws with GMs! Onwards and upwards!
PS. Enjoy the water.

Max Illingworth
10-08-2011, 07:16 AM
I started the day with the best hash browns I have ever eaten (as part of breakfast), went for a long walk around Budapest, ate a delicious turkey breast with mushroom sauce, fried egg and rice, and listened to Metallica before my game. The tap water here is amongst the best in Europe. I eventually drew against Baghdasaryan; my position looked good just after the first time control but my opponent had enough counterplay to get a perpetual. One of the restaurants has the best creme brulee I have ever tried, and, considering how cheap food and property is in Hungary, I would not mind living here :)

Tomorrow I am Black against Hrair Simonian (2461).

antichrist
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I started the day with the best hash browns I have ever eaten (as part of breakfast), went for a long walk around Budapest, ate a delicious turkey breast with mushroom sauce, fried egg and rice, and listened to Metallica before my game. The tap water here is amongst the best in Europe. I eventually drew against Baghdasaryan; my position looked good just after the first time control but my opponent had enough counterplay to get a perpetual. One of the restaurants has the best creme brulee I have ever tried, and, considering how cheap food and property is in Hungary, I would not mind living here :)

Tomorrow I am Black against Hrair Simonian (2461).

I am told it is cheap coz ex-commo and prices were kept down, my sis also loved it, whereas those Italians used to pinch her behind

Also congrats by the way for excellent results - Oz is really goiing places with all our programs going for juniors and norms

Max Illingworth
11-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Today started in a somewhat ironic fashion, with the hotel deciding to give a questionnaire at breakfast on the only day they provided a lacklustre breakfast of cold eggs and sausages. After going for a walk, eating a delicious turkey breast with garlicked Italian marrow rings, rice and mushrooms, and talking to friends while listening to Linkin Park, I drew with Simonian in a game where I was never more than slightly better. Tonight I ate a spicy rump steak with onions, tomato and french fries and some scrumptious ice cream to celebrate three draws with three GMs in the past three days.

Tomorrow I am White against Janos Konnyu (2370), who has had a rough start to the tournament.

ER
11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
... After going for a walk, eating a delicious turkey breast with garlicked Italian marrow rings, rice and mushrooms, and talking to friends while listening to Linkin Park, I drew with Simonian in a game where I was never more than slightly better. Tonight I ate a spicy rump steak with onions, tomato and french fries and some scrumptious ice cream to celebrate three draws with three GMs in the past three days..

LOL don't reveal what a (near future) GM's diet is Max! that's important information. BTW do we now if any of the top GMs is a vegetarian or vegan?

Tomorrow I am White against Janos Konnyu (2370), who has had a rough start to the tournament

GO MAX!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Adamski
11-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Yes, go Max! Those draws with GM's are good results. I agree with JaK - one day you too will be a GM. Good luck today.

Max Illingworth
11-08-2011, 05:33 PM
LOL don't reveal what a (near future) GM's diet is Max! that's important information. BTW do we now if any of the top GMs is a vegetarian or vegan?

GO MAX!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vishy Anand and Peter Leko are the only two >2700 players I know of who are vegetarians.

ER
11-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Vishy Anand and Peter Leko are the only two >2700 players I know of who are vegetarians.

Well if the World Champion is a vegetarian Jack Hughes has an extra motivation to become a GM! :)

Adamski
12-08-2011, 06:40 AM
No time to lokk up the web site so did you beat Janos Konnyu Max?

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2011, 02:30 PM
No time to lokk up the web site so did you beat Janos Konnyu Max?

He doesn't play that player til the final round. I think last night was a rest day and tonight he plays IM Rodriguez (2292). A curiously low rating for a non-Australian IM!

that Caesar guy
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
He doesn't play that player til the final round. I think last night was a rest day and tonight he plays IM Rodriguez (2292). A curiously low rating for a non-Australian IM!
OI! :P

Max Illingworth
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Yesterday was a rest day, however I played my last round opponent, Janos Konnyu, on the rest day as he could not make it by 4pm on the Tuesday. In hindsight, this was a dreadful blunder and I should have just played my opponent later on the Tuesday. After reaching a fine position from my opening preparation, I played the idiotic move 18.c4?, which gave Black oceans of counterplay instead of zilch. I then continued to make stupid, passive moves, and once I had to give up the exchange as the result of another stupid blunder, it was over. The way I played yesterday, I suspect anyone from the IM tournament would have beaten me.

As Kevin mentioned, today I play Rafael Rodriguez Lopez. I am Black.

ER
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
OI! :P

I checked on little Jimmy earlier this afternoon but I won't tell Mischa where! :P

that Caesar guy
12-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I checked on little Jimmy earlier this afternoon but I won't tell Mischa where! :P
Hahaha I was at the State Library, and I had a free period, so what's bad about that? :P

Max Illingworth
12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Hahaha I was at the State Library, and I had a free period, so what's bad about that? :P

Nice, I only had the school library nearby when I was at high school with free periods.

ER
12-08-2011, 06:59 PM

LOL nothing wrong with that! :) I loved your immediate response in order to keep yourself in Mischa's good books! :P

ER
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Nice, I only had the school library nearby when I was at high school with free periods.

And mind you our State Library features the famous Anderson's Chess Collection!

Adamski
13-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Yesterday was a rest day, however I played my last round opponent, Janos Konnyu, on the rest day as he could not make it by 4pm on the Tuesday. In hindsight, this was a dreadful blunder and I should have just played my opponent later on the Tuesday. After reaching a fine position from my opening preparation, I played the idiotic move 18.c4?, which gave Black oceans of counterplay instead of zilch. I then continued to make stupid, passive moves, and once I had to give up the exchange as the result of another stupid blunder, it was over. The way I played yesterday, I suspect anyone from the IM tournament would have beaten me.

As Kevin mentioned, today I play Rafael Rodriguez Lopez. I am Black.
That's sad. A lesson learned the hard way. Good luck for your remaining games.

Max Illingworth
13-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I just realised, I didn't write yesterday's report yesterday, so here it is.

My mum went on a horse-themed tour while I was in my room preparing and listening to music. I also decided to play some blitz, which I wasn't intending to do during my stay in Hungary, but which was quite enjoyable. I then went to lunch and talked to people online before going in to play Rafael Rodriguez Lopez. I was all psyched up to win, but he played a variation that is a forced draw. So I can't get an IM norm from this event, but then again I am playing to learn rather than to achieve a set result. I met the notable Hungarian theoretician Andras Adorjan yesterday, who was selling books, DVDs and ebooks at reasonable prices. I also met Tamas Erdelyi, who is the organiser of the Kecskemet tournament.

Today I am White against Gabor Kovacs (2496).

Basil
13-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I was all psyched up to win, but he played a variation that is a forced draw.
3-1-0 anyone?

Max Illingworth
13-08-2011, 09:04 PM
3-1-0 anyone?

The problem is not the scoring system, rather that my play has not been strong enough to win any of my games. My opponent believed that he was much better in the drawn middlegame.

Max Illingworth
14-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Today's report is about a dreadful day with a brilliant ending.

I woke up at about 9am feeling absolutely flat, something the garden-variety breakfast of eggs, eggs, more eggs, yoghurt and potato salad (miam!) did not change, and then I decided to stay in my room doing preparation (or watch ChessBase lag/crash/generally annoy) rather than go out for fresh air. Today I went to a new restaurant for lunch, Menza, and had a beautiful cold drink called 'Strawberry Cold Ice Tea' with my lunch. When I came back to play, I lost to Gabor Kovacs. I felt extremely sad and overheated after this loss, but then I had a brilliant dinner at Vian. I had a grilled norwegian salmon with lentils and bacon chips, which was really nice warm and improved my mood from 'depressed' to 'slightly happy'. To cap it off, I had a Chanson ice cream cup with so many delicious elements that I cannot remember all of them! I just recall chocolate liqueur...Anyway I now feel absolutely stupendous and don't really care about all those rating points I have hurled away!

ER
14-08-2011, 06:14 AM
...Anyway I now feel absolutely stupendous and don't really care about all those rating points I have hurled away!

That's the correct attitude son! :) Enjoy yourself, the points will come! Main thing is to have a good time in between games!

Max Illingworth
14-08-2011, 06:22 AM
That's the correct attitude son! :) Enjoy yourself, the points will come! Main thing is to have a good time in between games!

Yes, why should I be so hard on myself when I can eat like a king and listen to some top-notch music? :lol:

machomortensen
14-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Around 20 years ago I lost to Janos Szabolsci (H)... By no means I can predict how he looks like today... He looked old(!) and definately not like one who would go hungry to bed...

Good luck in the next tournament.

Max Illingworth
14-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Around 20 years ago I lost to Janos Szabolsci (H)... By no means I can predict how he looks like today... He looked old(!) and definately not like one who would go hungry to bed...

Good luck in the next tournament.

Thanks. By the way I have a strong feeling Szabolcsi will get a GM norm from the tournament! Shame I had to play him in Round 1...:lol:

Tony Dowden
14-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Today's report is about a dreadful day with a brilliant ending.

I woke up at about 9am feeling absolutely flat, something the garden-variety breakfast of eggs, eggs, more eggs, yoghurt and potato salad (miam!) did not change, and then I decided to stay in my room doing preparation (or watch ChessBase lag/crash/generally annoy) rather than go out for fresh air. Today I went to a new restaurant for lunch, Menza, and had a beautiful cold drink called 'Strawberry Cold Ice Tea' with my lunch. When I came back to play, I lost to Gabor Kovacs. I felt extremely sad and overheated after this loss, but then I had a brilliant dinner at Vian. I had a grilled norwegian salmon with lentils and bacon chips, which was really nice warm and improved my mood from 'depressed' to 'slightly happy'. To cap it off, I had a Chanson ice cream cup with so many delicious elements that I cannot remember all of them! I just recall chocolate liqueur...Anyway I now feel absolutely stupendous and don't really care about all those rating points I have hurled away!

:lol: It sounds like the Hungarian's have done a remarkable piece of prep on you. All the best for a win or two (or three?)

AzureBlue
14-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Best of luck for the rest of your games and tourneys Max! :whistle: The food sure sounds delicious over there! I never knew you were 'Viewed' in the Hangman thread back then, until you changed your username :D

Garrett
14-08-2011, 04:16 PM
3-1-0 anyone?

no - that just makes it worse. Go back to the 2010 Surfer thread and re-read what I wrote about an opponent with white just wanting to draw anyway and dragging me down with him.

Now, to avoid getting into trouble for an off-topic post, I would like to say that I am enjoying reading about Max's culinary adventures !

Yum !

cheers Garrett.

Basil
14-08-2011, 04:29 PM
no - that just makes it worse. Go back to the 2010 Surfer thread and re-read what I wrote about an opponent with white just wanting to draw anyway and dragging me down with him.
I recall your post. It was a fair point - and one that I hadn't considered at the time. I think I replied that neither 310 nor 210 were flawless and that your observation was not an absolute refutation to 310.

Yum.

Adamski
14-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Better luck for the games ahead Max - and don't over-eat (especially BEFORE the game)!

Max Illingworth
14-08-2011, 04:40 PM
It sounds like the Hungarian's have done a remarkable piece of prep on you. All the best for a win or two (or three?)

It certainly is! ;)

Best of luck for the rest of your games and tourneys Max! The food sure sounds delicious over there! I never knew you were 'Viewed' in the Hangman thread back then, until you changed your username

Thanks Jenny. I used to primarily use the account to play Hangman, but I wanted to keep everyone updated about Hungary :)

Now, to avoid getting into trouble for an off-topic post, I would like to say that I am enjoying reading about Max's culinary adventures !

Yum !

cheers Garrett.

Thanks. I don't believe that 3 wins and 6 losses should be worth the same number of points as 9 draws, but that is the subject for another thread.

Better luck for the games ahead Max - and don't over-eat (especially BEFORE the game)!

Thanks again. I'm only eating three meals a day without any snacks, except for during the game. I am about to go for a much needed swim and begin the comeback! :D

Max Illingworth
15-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Here's today report.

I woke up a bit earlier than usual, after taking a while to wake up, and after eating some breakfast, I went to Margot Island for some swimming. I've noticed that I am eating a bit less than I was when I first arrived in Hungary, perhaps as a result of feeling really flat in the past few days. I really enjoyed swimming in the cold water, and it was worth the $25 (for transport and admission) to go there. I had lunch at Menza again, which was quite nice, as not only was the food great again but I also saw a nice woman sitting nearby. Unfortunately all of this wasn't enough to stop me playing really stupidly against Czebe, and I lost in 26 moves as a result of a childish move early on.

So I finished the tournament on a pathetic 2.5/9, and honestly, I feel like a blind, tragic idiot. But I have 5 days before I go to Kecskemet, which is enough time to return to the halcyon days of success.

Tony Dowden
15-08-2011, 08:22 AM
... So I finished the tournament on a pathetic 2.5/9, and honestly, I feel like a blind, tragic idiot. But I have 5 days before I go to Kecskemet, which is enough time to return to the halcyon days of success.

I'm the kind of player who can have a 1700 perf or a 2300 perf and I think I've detected you can be the same Max (except its more like 2000 or 2400). I've always found that it's about playing good chess; so if I can focus on playing a good game instead of fixating on the result I'm 'meant to' get against any particular player, then I play better and the results come all of their own accord. I haven't had a 1700 perf for a long time (or 2300 actually, but that's another [age-related] matter!)

Max Illingworth
15-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I think I'll give the daily reports a rest for the next few days.

Adamski
16-08-2011, 12:15 AM
I think I'll give the daily reports a rest for the next few days.
Fair enough. Thanks for doing them. Enjoy a break in Hungary. Beter luck for the next tournament.

Max Illingworth
21-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Round 1: Illingworth-Battey .5-.5

Max Illingworth
22-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Round 2: Ivekovic-Illingworth 0-1

Max Illingworth
22-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I am White against Tibor Kende Antal tomorrow!!!!

Rincewind
22-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I am White against Tibor Kende Antal tomorrow!!!!

Good luck, Max. Whatever you have been doing, keep it up.

Metro
22-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Good luck, Max. Whatever you have been doing, keep it up.
Yeah,remember no daily reports ;)

Adamski
22-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Well done, Max. Keep focused! Good luck for all the remaining games.

Max Illingworth
23-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Illingworth-Antal: 0-1

Blundered horribly in a position where I was a pawn up and with my opponent in extreme time pressure. Definitely a qualifier for the shockers thread.

Max Illingworth
23-08-2011, 03:57 PM
And by the way, do not play in Hungary in August unless you thrive on 30-35 degree temperatures with insane humidity. I thoroughly hate such weather, with a vengeance.

Kevin Bonham
23-08-2011, 04:04 PM
And by the way, do not play in Hungary in August unless you thrive on 30-35 degree temperatures with insane humidity.

Yikes. I'd play at about 1000 strength in those conditions.

that Caesar guy
23-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Yikes. I'd play at about 1000 strength in those conditions.
I'm currently in those conditions right now...o_0

Max Illingworth
23-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Good luck in your upcoming game!

Max Illingworth
24-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Groszpeter-Illingworth 1-0. I hate heat more than vampires hate light.

Max Illingworth
25-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Illingworth-Ilincic .5-.5. Better than losing, but still not a good game by me.

machomortensen
25-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Turn the kayak, mate...

Max Illingworth
26-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Sax-Illingworth .5-.5. Another poor game, but the swindle at the end sort of made up for it.

Adamski
26-08-2011, 07:18 AM
At least you are not losing. Go Max!

Max Illingworth
26-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Thank you. Thanks to the cold packs, the powerful fans and my music, I am only playing badly instead of idiotically. I'm still amazed that I was able to attain and keep a slight advantage for some time against Ilincic and Sax while I am in dreadful form.

Adamski
26-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Sax-Illingworth .5-.5. Another poor game, but the swindle at the end sort of made up for it.
Was that GM Gyula Sax? If so well done! And you were Black....

Max Illingworth
26-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Was that GM Gyula Sax? If so well done! And you were Black....

Yes, it was. Funnily enough I have gained an edge out of the opening in two of my three Black games at present.

Tony Dowden
26-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, but you positively thrive in those conditions - 1500 points higher than Kevin does ;)

littlesprout85
26-08-2011, 02:48 PM
wow- even giving the play by play analysis max is- mighty impressive- keep up the good work =)

Also - have u been out in the nite life there in budapesh- meh have heard that its the jizzy in the markets center of town :P

-sprout85 =)

Max Illingworth
26-08-2011, 02:59 PM
@Tony Dowden

Air conditioning makes a huge difference for me, which is why the heat in Australia doesn't bother me as much. After the First Saturday in August I was almost wishing I had played in the Malaysian Open and KL Open instead! :lol:

@littlesprout85

No, I have not experienced any of the night life, although I have heard of a trap that concludes with tourists being robbed.

Rincewind
26-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Are their many vampires in Hungary? I know Transylvania is mostly in Romania but it isn't that far away.

Max Illingworth
26-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I haven't seen any, unless you count the insects that attacked me last night. :lol:

Max Illingworth
27-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Illingworth-Mihok 1-0. My opponent needed 2.5/3 for a GM norm before this game! Meanwhile I played my first good game in over a month!!!

And before I forget, the temperature is finally decreasing!! :) :D ;) :P

I need 2/2 against Kislik and Fodor (both FMs) to get an IM norm!!!!

Adamski
27-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Great stuff Max and good luck for your last 2 rounds and next event over there (3rd of 3 I think).

Garrett
27-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I need 2/2 against Kislik and Fodor (both FMs) to get an IM norm!!!!

Good luck Max, go for it !!

Mischa
27-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed Max

Max Illingworth
28-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Kislik-Illingworth 1-0

Was much better in the middlegame then just blundered.

I am guessing I have made nine blunders in this tournament, but I haven't had a close enough look at my games to know for sure.

Max Illingworth
29-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Illingworth-Fodor .5-.5

This ten move game gave my opponent an IM norm.

Adamski
30-08-2011, 12:21 AM
How long before your third Hungarian event, Max?

Max Illingworth
30-08-2011, 12:27 AM
How long before your third Hungarian event, Max?

The First Saturday GM tournament starts on the 3rd of September. Each First Saturday tournament begins on the first Saturday of the month.

Compared to last time, the weather isn't as hot and my internet connection is a bit better.

MSN crashes just as I say that. :doh:

Metro
30-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Illingworth-Fodor .5-.5

This ten move game gave my opponent an IM norm.

Caissa GM Aug 2011
2011-08-20 2011-08-29
Caissa GM/IM/Rating Kecskemet, Hungary 20-28.8.2011 RR (90-90/40 + 30-30/ALL) +30s

1 Mihok, Oliver IM 2457 HUN M / 1 0 1 1 1 6
2 Fodor, Tamas Jr. FM 2460 HUN M / - 1 1 5
3 Sax, Gyula GM 2491 HUN M / - 1 1 5
4 Ilincic, Zlatko GM 2468 SRB M / 0 - 1 1 5
5 Battey, Alexander 2326 USA M / 0 - 1 1 5
6 Groszpeter, Attila GM 2521 HUN M / 0 - 1 1 5
7 Illingworth, Max FM 2389 AUS M / 1 0 - 0 0 1 4
8 Antal, Tibor Kende 2256 HUN M / 0 0 1 - 4
9 Kislik, Erik Andrew FM 2328 USA M / 0 0 0 1 - 3
10Ivekovic, Zvonimir 2342 CRO M / 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 1

Max Illingworth
30-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Certainly not a good tournament for me. :(

Alex Battey gained his second IM norm from the tournament.

Max Illingworth
04-09-2011, 03:51 AM
Round 1: I beat GM Zoltan Varga (2474). Missed a few easy wins and lost control of the position at one stage but still managed to win anyway.

Hobbes
04-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Well done Max, keep it up!

Adamski
04-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Round 1: I beat GM Zoltan Varga (2474). Missed a few easy wins and lost control of the position at one stage but still managed to win anyway.
Great start, Max. I hope this proves to be a very successful tournament for you.

Max Illingworth
05-09-2011, 02:56 AM
I just won, again with White, against GM Attila Czebe (2513). I gained a nice position out of the opening and then the tactics worked out in my favour.

Max Illingworth
05-09-2011, 04:44 AM
By the way the games are available at the First Saturday website, under 'Games'. I'm equal in the lead with the top seed Vajda who also won his first two games, against two IMs.

Hobbes
05-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Great start Max, keep playing well!

Adamski
05-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes, terrific stuff Max! Best wishes for the rest of your games.

Max Illingworth
06-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Today I conceded my first half point, drawing with Black against FM Andreas Hagen (2454). My opponent was a bit better in the middlegame but never had any serious winning chances.

Surprisingly my score of 2.5/3 is only enough for outright second as GM Levente Vajda (2557) leads with 3/3. I am White against him next round.

Adamski
06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Good stuff, Max. Long may it continue.

Max Illingworth
07-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Illingworth-Vajda 1-0. One of the craziest games I have ever played!!

Rhubarb
07-09-2011, 05:47 AM
That's fantastic, Max! Keep going!!

Garrett
07-09-2011, 07:15 AM
yeah well done Max !!

Adamski
07-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Hoping for a GM norm here!

Max Illingworth
07-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks Shirty, Garrett and Adamski! :)

As I mentioned in the shoutbox, tomorrow I am Black against FM Erik Andrew Kislik (2320), and following that is a rest day.

DSS
07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Fantastic result Max! Keep it up!
All the best from Deviani, Simon, Ari and Finley.

peter_parr
07-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Well done Max a great start 3.5/4 (87%) against an average rating of 2500 including 100% against three grandmasters!

These are of course still five tough games ahead and each game requires good preparation and hard work in order to earn a GM norm.

All the best.

Max Illingworth
08-09-2011, 03:36 AM
I drew today against Kislik. I had a reasonable position throughout but offered a draw (which was accepted) in a position that looked untrustworthy for me.

Hobbes
08-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Good, keep it up Max!

Garrett
08-09-2011, 05:29 AM
good result Max.

Have a good rest day, eat some lovely food, and rip into them in rounds 6-9.

Max Illingworth
09-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Tomorrow I am White against FM Alexander Battey (2313).

Redmond Barry
09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
well done max.

Max Illingworth
10-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Illingworth-Battey .5-.5. I played pretty badly, but was never in serious danger of losing and accepted my opponent's draw offer.

Watto
10-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Congratulations on the tournament so far, Max. Best of luck for the rest of it.

Max Illingworth
11-09-2011, 12:40 AM
As I mentioned in the shoutbox, Mulyar-Illingworth .5-.5. My opponent offered a draw on move 9, I declined then offered a draw on move 12 which was accepted.

Tomorrow I am White against IM Hagen Poetsch (2401) and the day after I am Black against IM Rafael Rodriguez Lopez (2313). I need 2/2 for a GM norm.

Tony Dowden
11-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Great stuff Max, looks like you've finessed the Hungarian food ;)

Garrett
11-09-2011, 01:28 AM
good luck Max !

Max Illingworth
12-09-2011, 03:44 AM
I won today against IM Hagen Poetsch (2401). I was better out of the opening and converted my advantage to a win after keeping control of the position.

Hobbes
12-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Congratulations Max!

Max Illingworth
12-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks Hobbes, Garrett and Adamski :)

By the way if anyone is wondering where you can view the games played, here is the link (http://www.freeweb.hu/firstsaturday/1109/CB/gm.htm).

Garrett
12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
good luck in the last round Max !

Adamski
12-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Ditto from me. Great stuff Max!

Tony Dowden
12-09-2011, 09:54 PM
All the best Max!!

Max Illingworth
13-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Here is my final round game, which gave me my first GM norm, a performance rating of 2638, and equal first place in the tournament with the top seed, GM Levente Vajda (2557).

[Event "First Saturday GM"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2011.09.12"]
[Round "9"]
[White "Rodriguez Lopez, Rafael"]
[Black "Illingworth, Max"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "C96"]
[WhiteElo "2313"]
[BlackElo "2357"]
[PlyCount "50"]
[SourceDate "2011.09.03"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3
O-O 9. h3 Na5 10. Bc2 d5 11. exd5 e4 12. Ng5 Nxd5 13. Nxe4 f5 14. Ng3 f4 15.
Ne4 f3 16. d4 fxg2 17. Kxg2 Qd7 18. Qg4 Qc6 19. Qg3 Bd6 20. Qh4 Bf5 21. Kg1
Rae8 22. Nbd2 Nf4 23. Re3 Ng6 24. Qh5 Bf4 25. d5 Qxd5 0-1

I find it slightly amusing that I gained my first Grandmaster norm with the same opening (the Gajewski Gambit) that Yuan defeated to gain his Grandmaster title, against Goldsztejn.

Hobbes
13-09-2011, 04:06 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Garrett
13-09-2011, 05:41 AM
OMG well done Max !!!

Qbert
13-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Fantastic result Max. Congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:

mikesguns
13-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Do you get a GM norm i think it said 7 was a norm on the website?
:D well done

Max Illingworth
13-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Do you get a GM norm i think it said 7 was a norm on the website?
:D well done

That's correct, I gained 7/9 from the tournament.

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations! :D

Rhubarb
13-09-2011, 06:40 AM

brett
13-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Well done Max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skulte
13-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Good work Maximus! :owned:

Adamski
13-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Fantastic news, Max! Both a GM norm and first equal in a strong tournament. Should pay back the travel expenses! :clap: :clap:

DSS
13-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Congratulations! Brilliant result.

Trent Parker
13-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Awesome Max! I'm excited for you! Pity you've come acclimatised to Hungary, get an excellent result and now you gotta come home!

themovingman
13-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Congrats Max

fantastic

Bill Gletsos
13-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Congratulations Max.
Well Done.

ER
13-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Dear Max, as shown in the picture below it's being quite a while since you 've started playing vs GM's. The time has come to become one of them yourself! Congratulations to you for another milestone and to your mum for seeing her tireless efforts producing the goods!

https://picasaweb.google.com/117579133234979286240/MAX?authkey=Gv1sRgCN2A2Z323NTO_AE#

Igor_Goldenberg
13-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Well done, Max!

Solo
13-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes well done Max!!:) Keep it up!

Max Illingworth
13-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Fantastic news, Max! Both a GM norm and first equal in a strong tournament. Should pay back the travel expenses! :clap: :clap:

Actually in the First Saturday tournament there isn't any prize money. If you are a non-GM you have to pay a significant entry fee to play, and if you are a GM you get paid to play in the tournament.

William AS
13-09-2011, 05:15 PM
:owned: :clap: :clap:

Metro
13-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes well done Max!!:) Keep it up!
:clap: Max is back!

Watto
13-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Congratulations Max! :)

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Congrats. :clap:

Mischa
13-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Heya...cool stuff Max

Max Illingworth
13-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Once again, thank you everyone. I will be staying in Hungary for another 5-6 days before taking a plane back to Sydney.

I have a large number of people to thank, but I owe the most thanks to my mum for looking after me throughout the three events and my coaches GM Ian Rogers and IM Laszlo Hazai who supported me and sent me useful information during the tournaments.

Tony Dowden
13-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Congrats Max! That was an awesome last round game! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Max Illingworth
17-09-2011, 02:52 AM
There is now a report on the third tournament by the chief arbiter IA Miklos Orso on FIDE: http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/5553-australian-victory-in-budapest-at-first-saturday-gm-tournament.html

Adamski
17-09-2011, 10:38 AM
There is now a report on the third tournament by the chief arbiter IA Miklos Orso on FIDE: http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/4-tournaments/5553-australian-victory-in-budapest-at-first-saturday-gm-tournament.html
It includes a photo of Max!

Max Illingworth
10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry to bump this thread, but in the current First Saturday GM tournament, IM Mikhail Antipov has beaten all three GMs in the tournament. Incidentally he was White in all three games, like I was in the September First Saturday.