PDA

View Full Version : getnew, getdaily

Hobbes
18-07-2011, 06:26 PM
When I click 'New Posts' (which being obsessive I often do :)), and there are no new posts this message comes up:

Sorry, there are no new threads to view.

You may search for threads updated during the previous 24 hours, here (http://www.chesschat.org/search.php?do=getdaily).

(where 'here' is do=getdaily)

A couple of weeks ago, whenever I went on to click 'here', I got the "This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 18 seconds." message. Since then, for some reason I no longer got the 20 second message, instead getdaily ran immediately. Now today we have reverted to the 20 second error message coming up.

Does anyone know what is happening here?

It makes sense to me that the 20 second wait is not necessary, after all a message invited me to make the second search.

(And making a last test before posting this, I didn't have to wait 20 seconds, getdaily ran immediately. Help!)

Kevin Bonham
18-07-2011, 09:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago, whenever I went on to click 'here', I got the "This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 18 seconds." message. Since then, for some reason I no longer got the 20 second message, instead getdaily ran immediately. Now today we have reverted to the 20 second error message coming up.

Does anyone know what is happening here?

Do you also get this if you repeatedly try the same search? Some time when it is happening, try doing a search for something, pressing back, and entering another search immediately and see if you get the same thing. Or do a search then immediately press New Posts.

AdminCP here has a pre-entered option (presumably default) of 20 seconds between searches. I have, however, never had the time limit window come up but perhaps that is because I have always held Mod or Admin status here.

In the other place I am always getting 15 second search limit messages and on another site I post on it is 30.

There may be some useful reason for limiting time between searches, eg to discourage bots or the abuse of the search function to create server load.

Hobbes
18-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I understand having a 20 second pause, and I always get this error if I try 2 'New Posts' searches within 20 seconds.

My confusion is because sometimes I can do a getDaily search immediately after doing a getNew, and sometimes I have to wait for 20 seconds after the getNew before the getDaily will work. There is some consistency I suppose because the times I have to wait for 20 seconds then probably I will have to wait the next time too, likewise the times I can immediately do a getDaily then probably I won't have to wait next time either. So not sure if the rules behind the scenes are changing, or if there is some other factor I haven't yet worked out.

On a kind of related note, on my PC each 'New Posts' search actually conducts a new search with a new ID, but on the iPhone/iPad a'New Posts' search is quite likely to grab the previous ID and just display the results it found when that search was originally perforned. This is not consistent either, sometimes it does a new search, if there is a pattern I haven't worked it out, also I assume it is an iPad thing rather than a chesschat thing.

Hobbes
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Clicking 'New Posts' then doing a 'do=getdaily' is giving me a 20 second forced pause today, hadn't done this for a while grr.