PDA

View Full Version : Sex appeal and selling chess

arosar
27-09-2004, 01:51 PM
About Mark becoming our 6th ever GM? Well I already said it last week man.

And AGAIN(!), here: http://www.bworld.com.ph/current/A&L/ang.html

EDIT: Btw, Brian, I am very happy that you are paying attention to our neighbours' chess news. I, too, pay attention - especially that of Indonesia's. I've actually been looking for a photo of the Indon's Chess Fed Prez (or is that VP?). According to NIC, she's just gorgeous, I mean like a supermodel or something. That's surely something we can learn and apply here.

AR

jenni
27-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I've actually been looking for a photo of the Indon's Chess Fed Prez (or is that VP?). According to NIC, she's just gorgeous, I mean like a supermodel or something. That's surely something we can learn and apply here.

AR

Umm why? :hmm:

Bit confused - does that mean we think chess will be better administered if we have someone good looking and charming? Or do we think a supermodel type would get more sponsorship out of people? Maybe I am on the wrong track totally - do enlighten me.

Garvinator
27-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Or do we think a supermodel type would get more sponsorship out of people? i think this would be more the point to me.

antichrist
27-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Umm why? :hmm:

Bit confused - does that mean we think chess will be better administered if we have someone good looking and charming? Or do we think a supermodel type would get more sponsorship out of people? Maybe I am on the wrong track totally - do enlighten me.

Don't we wrap presents in nice paper?

jenni
27-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Don't we wrap presents in nice paper?

Well if we wanted only good looking/charming people playing/administering in chess, who would we have. hmm. Gary Lane - definitely both. Arianne Caoli. David Smerdon has potential. David Cordover - definitely the charm. After that I hate to say it gets a bit thin on the ground. I am not really someone who goes on looks, so I have some people that are definitely not super model potential that I really like. e.g Zong-Yuan Zhao is one of my favourites. Graeme Gardiner is a superb administrator. Are we going to toss out both of these as players or administrators, just because they don't have super model looks?

So I hope that isn't what AR is getting at, and why I am asking for some explanation. :)

jay_vee
27-09-2004, 07:13 PM
You don't need all good-looking administrators, of course, just a few. For example a good-looking/charming VP (male or female) can certainly be helpful when dealing with people from outside chess (and sometimes even unruly tournament players). And super-model types will certainly get chess more press attention. Of course, you have to be careful in who you choose imho, but good looks don't always come with little brain.

The Estonian Chess Federation have recently elected a super-model as their president in an attempt to enhance their chance to be awarded the 2008 olympiad. We'll see at this year's olympiad, if this was successful :-).

jenni
27-09-2004, 08:43 PM
You don't need all good-looking administrators, of course, just a few. For example a good-looking/charming VP (male or female) can certainly be helpful when dealing with people from outside chess (and sometimes even unruly tournament players). And super-model types will certainly get chess more press attention. Of course, you have to be careful in who you choose imho, but good looks don't always come with little brain.

The Estonian Chess Federation have recently elected a super-model as their president in an attempt to enhance their chance to be awarded the 2008 olympiad. We'll see at this year's olympiad, if this was successful :-).

Oh my God - I can't believe this - I think I'll just move forward to the 20th Century.....

Garvinator
27-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Oh my God - I can't believe this - I think I'll just move forward to the 20th Century.....
jenni, the reality is that the media is generally interested in stuff that will sell papers, get ratings etc. This is not news to us chess ppl, but it is well known that if you have attractive ppl (male or female) then you are more likely to get media attention on the whole.

I wish it wasnt like this, but it is. If you want an example of this, have a look at the reaction to chris judd's brownlow win ;) where has the media's attention mainly been. We are in a situation for decent levels of sponsorship where new things need to be tried.

Before i joined the chess community as a player and was playing other sports, one of the first articles i remember reading about anything to do with chess was about Ngan Koshnitsky and her wearing 'revealing' clothes and male opponents being distracted by her looks and clothes and then losing to her.

the reality is that this story made the papers and got the chess community some media attention.

Garvinator
27-09-2004, 08:55 PM
thats alright, you can move forward to the 20th century, i am a step ahead of you and ill move to the 21st century ;) :lol:

eclectic
27-09-2004, 09:17 PM
thats alright, you can move forward to the 20th century, i am a step ahead of you and ill move to the 21st century ;) :lol:

will the entire australian chess adminstration be doing that?

:doh:

eclectic

jenni
27-09-2004, 10:18 PM

It was sarcastic - I'll explain my humour to you. You lot are in the 19th century at best. I won't even try to get to the 21st - that is beyond you - I'll settle for late 20th.

Garvinator
27-09-2004, 10:28 PM
It was sarcastic - I'll explain my humour to you. You lot are in the 19th century at best. I won't even try to get to the 21st - that is beyond you - I'll settle for late 20th.
you obviously missed the part where i said i wish it wasnt like this.

jenni
27-09-2004, 10:28 PM
jenni, the reality is that the media is generally interested in stuff that will sell papers, get ratings etc. This is not news to us chess ppl, but it is well known that if you have attractive ppl (male or female) then you are more likely to get media attention on the whole.

I wish it wasnt like this, but it is. If you want an example of this, have a look at the reaction to chris judd's brownlow win ;) where has the media's attention mainly been. We are in a situation for decent levels of sponsorship where new things need to be tried.

Before i joined the chess community as a player and was playing other sports, one of the first articles i remember reading about anything to do with chess was about Ngan Koshnitsky and her wearing 'revealing' clothes and male opponents being distracted by her looks and clothes and then losing to her.

the reality is that this story made the papers and got the chess community some media attention.

The thing that has got the most media attention over the last decade was not Ngan's breasts, but Beaumont's fight. Should we hire a pugilist as President.

We can go for cheap tricks or have some sort of agenda.

Chess in Australia spends too little time achieving and too much time savaging each other.

In the ACT we are not above using cutesy things - e.g. we always find the littlest cutest kid in the room when we have the press to comps, as we know cutesy is likely to make it into the papers. However we also have no trouble getting decent coverage as well. When Ian Rogers was in town for the GM coaching in August, we had media and a big picture of him with an in depth intelligent interview.

Australian chess doesn't try and get decent media coverage most of the time. You actually need to do constant media releases and then a % in the year will generate interest.

As far as sponsorship goes, Jason Lyons isnt the prettiest thing on two legs, but got sponsorship and coverage 2 years ago and probably would have this year if he had been captain again. It takes motivation and pushyness not a pretty face.

eclectic
27-09-2004, 10:32 PM

jenni,

i never explain humour

either they get it or they don't

as for the gist of this thread ( or at least it's most recent developments) it's interesting this push for "supermodel" public relations when the majority of chess participants viz males would still most likely turn up to tourneys dressed up as grots

think of the wasted effort of these spinster doctors to provide initial media savvy only to have it spoiled in media interviews by dishevelled male chess geeks unable to string two words of the english language together

eclectic

Garvinator
27-09-2004, 10:35 PM
think of the wasted effort of these spinster doctors to provide initial media savvy only to have it spoiled in media interviews by dishevelled male chess geeks unable to string two words of the english language together

eclectic
agreed

jenni
27-09-2004, 10:37 PM
jenni,

i never explain humour

either they get it or they don't

as for the gist of this thread ( or at least it's most recent developments) it's interesting this push for "supermodel" public relations when the majority of chess participants viz males would still most likely turn up to tourneys dressed up as grots

eclectic

Well I have to admit the thing that is irritating me the most in all this is the fact that they are all such a daggy bunch that the average female wouldn't look twice at them. I suppose it is because they are such a bunch of misfits that the idea of being aligned with a supermodel makes them start salivating - probably the closest most of them would get to a pretty female . :lol:

Garvinator
27-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Well I have to admit the thing that is irritating me the most in all this is the fact that they are all such a daggy bunch that the average female wouldn't look twice at them.
who are they?

eclectic
27-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Well I have to admit the thing that is irritating me the most in all this is the fact that they are all such a daggy bunch that the average female wouldn't look twice at them. I suppose it is because they are such a bunch of misfits that the idea of being aligned with a supermodel makes them start salivating - probably the closest most of them would get to a pretty female . :lol:

it's interesting how chess, after failing to look "intellectual" enough, now desperately tries to look "sexy"

:whistle:

eclectic

jay_vee
28-09-2004, 02:41 AM

Don't worry, I'm very much in the 21st century.

The part about the estonian federation is more or less a running local gag (my federation is the estonians' only competitor for that olympiad and our president, while very competent, isn't exactly the super-model type - But we wouldn't really want to trade :-).

I should however have put "attractive" along with "good-looking/charming" insofar as being succesful can make you attractive in a non-physical way. As such, GM Rogers is obviously an "attractive" person to interview about Australian Chess.

But the fact remains, it is helpful to look good, in every public relations aspect. Of course, that should not replace competence, but what good is it to be a perfectly nice, friendly, good-natured, humerous, knowledgable, competent person if you show up in rags, with messed-up hair, etc.? You won't even get a chance to show your good sides, everyone will think, what a geek. So yes, attractiveness is something to watch for in a PR person.

Of, course, good looks is not the only thing that matters, I wouldn't want a pair of walking, brainless breasts on my federations board.

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2004, 02:57 AM

I can actually see FIDE falling for a stunt like that. :(

Rincewind
28-09-2004, 07:42 AM
it's interesting how chess, after failing to look "intellectual" enough, now desperately tries to look "sexy"

I don't think chess has failed to look intellectual enough. The problem is intellectual does sell in Australia. I made the point in the footy thread that Australian culture celebrates the tellectual over the intellectual. We should probably change the ACF catch phrase from "Chess - The clever sport" to "Chess - There really isn't that much to it".

jenni
28-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Don't worry, I'm very much in the 21st century.

The part about the estonian federation is more or less a running local gag (my federation is the estonians' only competitor for that olympiad and our president, while very competent, isn't exactly the super-model type - But we wouldn't really want to trade :-).

I should however have put "attractive" along with "good-looking/charming" insofar as being succesful can make you attractive in a non-physical way. As such, GM Rogers is obviously an "attractive" person to interview about Australian Chess.

But the fact remains, it is helpful to look good, in every public relations aspect. Of course, that should not replace competence, but what good is it to be a perfectly nice, friendly, good-natured, humerous, knowledgable, competent person if you show up in rags, with messed-up hair, etc.? You won't even get a chance to show your good sides, everyone will think, what a geek. So yes, attractiveness is something to watch for in a PR person.

Of, course, good looks is not the only thing that matters, I wouldn't want a pair of walking, brainless breasts on my federations board.

There is a difference between presenting well and choosing someone based on super model looks. I am all for proper presentation, particularly when the press is likely to be involved, or you are touting for corporate sponsorship.

I find the emphasis on "female" beauty, very sexist. I think I am on record over many years on various chess BB's as not being rabidly feminist - in fact often anti-feminist. However I find this raving on about super models and Australia following in these footsteps extremely distasteful.

Also it wouldn't work in Australia (as my very perceptive husband Tony said, when I was telling him about this last night). You first have to have vision and an agenda and then maybe you can use sex to sell it. Australian chess has neither, so whacking in someone like Arianne Caoli (the nearest thing we have to a super model in chess) would achieve nothing.

arosar
28-09-2004, 10:46 AM
I find the emphasis on "female" beauty, very sexist.

There's nothing sexist about it. C'mon Mrs Oliver! That's just the way the world is. You ought to just recognise it and proceed accordingly. So, we have some nice lookin sheila, a good sort, strut her stuff and, Bob's your uncle, we're all set. I tell you what, we'll have media, increased membership, sponsorship, etc.

AR

Garvinator
28-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Australian chess has neither, so whacking in someone like Arianne Caoli (the nearest thing we have to a super model in chess) would achieve nothing.
why do you keep choosing arianne, i can think of a couple of other good looking girls who could fit the bill :cool:

Alan Shore
28-09-2004, 11:52 AM
why do you keep choosing arianne, i can think of a couple of other good looking girls who could fit the bill :cool:

Actually I just wrote a whole big comment but then thought better of it and deleted it.

Libby
28-09-2004, 01:12 PM

Flattery will get you everywhere with Jenni and myself ... :D

Libby
28-09-2004, 01:42 PM
There's nothing sexist about it. C'mon Mrs Oliver! That's just the way the world is. You ought to just recognise it and proceed accordingly. So, we have some nice lookin sheila, a good sort, strut her stuff and, Bob's your uncle, we're all set. I tell you what, we'll have media, increased membership, sponsorship, etc.

AR

Nope - I'd suggest the "boobs on legs" approach (ala Brownlow medal night) might get the pair in question a bit of a photo opportunity in Ralph magazine and a spot on the Footy Show (even for a chessplayer) but does that kind of publicity raise the profile and sponsorship opportunities for chess? Not really, it's more like a short-term sugar-kick akin to eating two Mars Bars for lunch.

Will one sexy "sheila" get the crowds rushing to the local chess club? Maybe - but they might be scared off by a little reality once they get there :P Of course, it may drag the odd neanderthal out of the closet and back to the board ...

Now in beach volleyball they enforce a dress code that boosts their profile - you might call it minimalist dressing. Clean and tidy would be a good starting point for chess, then we'll talk hemlines and necklines - and some chest waxing for the boys.

More seriously, we get quite good publicity in Canberra for our juniors. At least 1/2 dozen pictures & articles in the major newspaper each year (The Canberra Times) plus bits and pieces in community papers. Our Girls Primary team for the upcoming Aus Schools were in the September issue of "Girl Power" (a fairly hideous pre-teen girls magazine with national circulation) and one of our overseas reps appeared in the national children's magazine K-Zone last year.

If you want publicity you need to ask for it first. You only get coverage when you tell people you've got something on! You make plenty of approaches - being a squeaky wheel got us a double-page colour photo spread last year in The Canberra Times as they actually called us (from an earlier Media Release) to see if we had anything coming up. Yep - we unashamedly go for the "cute" coverage (a little like trying to sell sex appeal I guess) but we are not basketball or football so you always work the best angle into the story you can as you try to sell your product. We even got a photo and story in the paper when Junta topped the "Top Improvers" for the first time. It might not be the biggest story in Australian Chess but it was an angle we could sell to the local media. :cool:

Garvinator
28-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Flattery will get you everywhere with Jenni and myself ... :D
i dont think my comments on this thread are very flattering for jenni :eek: and since i have never met or seen you or jenni, i cant comment ;)

jenni
28-09-2004, 06:57 PM

There are quite a few attractive chess girls around, but I have to admit I think Arianne has that extra bit of 'star' quality.

jenni
28-09-2004, 07:00 PM
i dont think my comments on this thread are very flattering for jenni :eek: and since i have never met or seen you or jenni, i cant comment ;)
She was joking (as anyone who has seen Libby or I would know....)
:wall:

Garvinator
28-09-2004, 07:01 PM
i knew that, hence why i used the smilie ;)

jenni
28-09-2004, 07:10 PM

AR
Oh rubbish!! It is no doubt the way in some parts of the world and probably in most of the chess world. I went along to a FIDE meeting with Phil Viner when I was in Halkidiki last year. Talk about a female free zone. So I could see them being influenced by a pretty face. Taking them for our role model though is pathetic. What are we going to do next - become corrupt or mow down journalists like our fearless FIDE leader?

I don't mind generating some publicity out of the occasional sexy angle, but to be thinking it is some major way of advancing chess. :wall:

In fact this statement is so pathetic, I have to think you are just stirring - no-one could be that silly.

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2004, 07:12 PM
So, we have some nice lookin sheila, a good sort, strut her stuff and, Bob's your uncle, we're all set. I tell you what, we'll have media, increased membership, sponsorship, etc.

For about five minutes.

Garvinator
28-09-2004, 07:13 PM
What are we going to do next - become corrupt or mow down journalists like our fearless FIDE leader?
what do you mean or? i think you should substitute or for and ;)

skip to my lou
28-09-2004, 07:16 PM
what do you mean or? i think you should substitute or for and ;)
omg.

Libby
29-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Did anyone catch Daryl on George Negus Tonight this evening? George wasn't demonstrating any deep understanding of the game but Daryl (I thought) came across really well. Of course ... put him in some heels and a plunging neckline and he may have generated more publicity :D Goodness! He might have even picked up an interview on Today Tonight - what a coup for chess that would have been! :owned:

Garvinator
29-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Did anyone catch Daryl on George Negus Tonight this evening? George wasn't demonstrating any deep understanding of the game but Daryl (I thought) came across really well. Of course ... put him in some heels and a plunging neckline and he may have generated more publicity :D Goodness! He might have even picked up an interview on Today Tonight - what a coup for chess that would have been! :owned:
nope, didnt see it. Maybe not shown up here in Brisbane, where did you see it?

Libby
29-09-2004, 08:33 PM

Now, now - don't sell us short. Best to maintain the mystery :lol:

(Perhaps we could get some publicity for chess by signing up for "Extreme Makeover" - now there's an opportunity!) ;)

Libby
29-09-2004, 08:35 PM
nope, didnt see it. Maybe not shown up here in Brisbane, where did you see it?

It's on Mon -Thurs (I think) at 6.30pm on the ABC. I was channel surfing and hit upon it by accident. They have been running a series on people with passions (sport, music, chess etc). I'm pretty sure it's a national program.

Rhubarb
29-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Did anyone catch Daryl on George Negus Tonight this evening? George wasn't demonstrating any deep understanding of the game but Daryl (I thought) came across really well.

I just spoke to a non-chess playing friend of mine who saw it. He said that, yes, Darryl came across well, but that George Negus, supposedly a top journalist, asked the kind of banal, uninformed questions that you'd expect from a cadet straight out of high school. :rolleyes:

Libby
29-09-2004, 08:50 PM
I just spoke to a non-chess playing friend of mine who saw it. He said that, yes, Darryl came across well, but that George Negus, supposedly a top journalist, asked the kind of banal, uninformed questions that you'd expect from a cadet straight out of high school. :rolleyes:

Yeah - I must admit I expected George to do a bit better ...

arosar
30-09-2004, 04:46 PM
What are we going to do next - become corrupt or mow down journalists like our fearless FIDE leader?

Can you prove this?

Now I don't suggest to have some bimbo be our role model. What I suggest is to exploit one for our purposes.

AR

Mischa
01-10-2004, 12:49 AM
I have a better idea. don't actually use models to promote chess directly, rather have a series of "umbrella girls" aka grand prix to hold said unbrellas over the heads of the chess players...say the higher the board, the sexier the model? I myself would volenteer, but age and looks may be against me. But if we don't want to detract from the game?...

Mischa
01-10-2004, 12:51 AM
better yet...why not a Miss or should I say Ms. Chess Victoria competition. Only could we hold it in winter so I can cover up my "bits"

pax
01-10-2004, 09:58 AM

I saw it, and I must say it's fantastic for chess in Australia to have a prime time interview on national telly.

I thought that while Darryl came across as fairly comfortable and relaxed, he didn't really do a good job of selling chess to non-believers (not that that was really what he was there for). The theme was "people with passion", and George tried really hard to get Darryl to enthuse about chess a bit, but failed to get the desired response. Comments like "oh it's more of a day to day job now", while true, don't make it sound like much fun. I think those that don't know Darryl's style might have come away with the impression he was a bit bored. He also tends to speak quietly and very quickly, which doesn't come across that well on TV.

Pax

Rincewind
01-10-2004, 10:05 AM
I thought that while Darryl came across as fairly comfortable and relaxed, he didn't really do a good job of selling chess to non-believers (not that that was really what he was there for). The theme was "people with passion", and George tried really hard to get Darryl to enthuse about chess a bit, but failed to get the desired response. Comments like "oh it's more of a day to day job now", while true, don't make it sound like much fun. I think those that don't know Darryl's style might have come away with the impression he was a bit bored. He also tends to speak quietly and very quickly, which doesn't come across that well on TV.

Does anyone know if Steve Irwin plays chess? :hmm: It's got to be a lot safer for his kiddies. :hand:

jenni
01-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know if Steve Irwin plays chess? :hmm: It's got to be a lot safer for his kiddies. :hand:

You have got to be kidding - while a lot of parents are very supportive and good with their kids, I've seen parental behaviour, where I would prefer to put them with a crocodile. :)

Thunk
04-10-2004, 08:50 AM

carmEn klass walks likE a drEam

:cool: thE HUNK :cool:

Bill Gletsos
04-10-2004, 01:08 PM
It would appear she actually can play and there is an article about her on the chesbase web site at http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1834

ursogr8
04-10-2004, 01:22 PM
It would appear she actually can play and there is an article about her on the chesbase web site at http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1834

Thanks Bill
I know you were over there, at the URL, not just to look at the pictures of the super model.
You were interested in the Fischer_Random game (text Peter Svidler studying his shuffle chess position against Levon Aronian.)
Right?

starter

JGB
06-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Chessbase is featuring another one of its pathetic newstories, some crappy model teaching chess patzers the moves (no not 'those' moves :uhoh: )...

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2065

anyway I though a few of you 'perverts' (no naming names) here might like a bit of light hearted reading. cool:

Garvinator
06-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Chessbase is featuring another one of its pathetic newstories, some crappy model teaching chess patzers the moves (no not 'those' moves :uhoh: )...

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2065

anyway I though a few of you 'perverts' (no naming names) here might like a bit of light hearted reading. cool:
nice to see you really read the article :doh: the woman is WGM Almira Skripchenko ;)

PHAT
06-12-2004, 10:29 AM
nice to see you really read the article :doh: the woman is WGM Almira Skripchenko ;)

I would like to see Stripchenko.

Trent Parker
06-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Hey Garvin any chance of Skripchenko being at Mt buller???? :lol:

JGB
06-12-2004, 05:12 PM
What would you like to see Strip... chenko do?? ;) :lol:

JGB
06-12-2004, 05:47 PM

wait, I said a crappy model! not a crappy chess player. If I want to see a model then thats what I want, If I want to see a great chessplayer then I'll find about 500 better than Stripchenko.

Recherché
06-12-2004, 06:29 PM
If I want to see a great chessplayer then I'll find about 500 better than Stripchenko.

Actually, if the FIDE rating system is to be believed, you'll find 846 people better than IM Almira Skripchenko.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'd be honoured to recieve a lesson from somebody who would be nipping closely at Darryl Johansen's heels as our #3 player if she were an Australian resident.

What would you like to see Strip... chenko do?? ;) :lol:

wait, I said a crappy model!

I can't imagine what it is about our current chess environment that might be putting women off...

Alan Shore
07-12-2004, 01:01 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/images2/2004/almira35.jpg

HOT!

Ahem, yes, what a lovely young woman.

PHAT
07-12-2004, 01:18 AM
I can't imagine what it is about our current chess environment that might be putting women off...

Cut it out. In general women (and men) want attention from the opposite sex. They just want it to be respectful attention - no touching and no overt learing.

The reason women don't get into chess is that they are smarter than men.

JGB
07-12-2004, 01:27 AM
The reason women don't get into chess is that they are smarter than men.

Then what does that say of those few that do play? :whistle:

Recherché
07-12-2004, 09:55 AM
They just want it to be respectful attention

"Stripchenko" is respectful attention?

Would a bunch of people making jokes on the BB about "Matthew's weeney" also be considered respectful?

JGB
07-12-2004, 04:34 PM

Would a bunch of people making jokes on the BB about "Matthew's weeney" also be considered respectful?

Wait Recherché!!! Don't give him the idea or hell probably the start the topic himself. ;)

Alan Shore
07-12-2004, 06:09 PM

There is hope for Matt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4071657.stm

Lucena
08-12-2004, 11:26 PM
I would watch out for genital jokes myself, if I was you, with an avatar like that...

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 11:36 PM
I would watch out for genital jokes myself, if I was you, with an avatar like that...

You mean me?

:confused:

Rhubarb
08-12-2004, 11:40 PM
You mean me?

I think gbc was referring to your handle, Gene Wilder being a di**head notwithstanding.

Lucena
08-12-2004, 11:40 PM
You mean me?

yes. Think about it ;)

Lucena
08-12-2004, 11:44 PM
I think gbc was referring to your handle, Gene Wilder being a di**head notwithstanding.

funny, I didn't even think about that! No, I meant the avatar. But keg may have a point about the handle. I was referring to the name of the character Gene Wilder is portraying...

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 11:45 PM
yes. Think about it ;)

Yeah yeah.. my mind just isn't in the gutter like some... :rolleyes:

I think gbc was referring to your handle

... and you're not the only one either gbc!

Gene Wilder being a di**head notwithstanding.

Really? I knew nothing about this? Why was he?

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 11:47 PM
funny, I didn't even think about that! No, I meant the avatar. But keg may have a point about the handle.

It's one of my favourite films.. trying to keep the spirit alive what with the new Johnny Depp version coming out next year. I hope Tim Burton doesn't screw it up.. normally he's very good but then again, there's the large Planet of the Apes blemish..

JGB
09-12-2004, 04:29 AM
...but then again, there's the large Planet of the Apes blemish..

What Blemish, that film is the Gear!

...im just annoyed they never made the Musical version :lol: (anyone seen the Simpons episode im talking about?)

WBA
09-12-2004, 06:19 AM
There is absolutely no doubt that a women of Skripchenko's obvious good looks brings something to chess it does not have, and that si a public face. Young children are very impressionable and it would be fantastic for them to have a hip, cool female role-model to look up to.

Whilst brains is a must in administration there is an element of marketing definetly involved and that is presentation. It is no coincidence that we still see banners up with gorgeous girls in provocative posers, supposedly trying to portray a subliminal message about the virtues of Windsor Smith's. Sex still sells. I am not going to argue the relative merits about exploitation of women/men for the gratification ot the "perves" (as I think it was put), that is someone elses bone.

Also Jenni I would like to point out that Ngan's breasts and their mesmerising effects on Robert had a far far more widespread impact the David's fight with an idiot. This is clearly visible simply by the spread through the media.

Rincewind
09-12-2004, 08:16 AM
...im just annoyed they never made the Musical version :lol: (anyone seen the Simpons episode im talking about?)

Yes :lol:

JGB
09-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Yes :lol:

'Dr Zaus, Dr Zaus... Dr Zaus, Dr Zaus,'

...Man that cracked me up. :D