PDA

View Full Version : Anand - Gelfand World Championship Match in Chennai (NOT) April or May 2012

Kevin Bonham
14-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Tamil Nadu government awarded bids for rights to stage match

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7361

I intend to put a pick-the-margin poll up much closer to the match, probably a few weeks out from it.

Garvinator
14-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I wonder if the current Mumbai terror attacks might affect the staging of this match?

In a normal sporting organisation it might, but this is fide, who have staged tournaments in the disputed regions of the Caucases and also in Libya, so anything is possible.

ER
14-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I wonder if the current Mumbai terror attacks might affect the staging of this match?

In a normal sporting organisation it might, but this is fide, who have staged tournaments in the disputed regions of the Caucases and also in Libya, so anything is possible.

Hey Garv sour grapes cauz they didn't give it to you in QLD??? :P

Max Illingworth
14-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised that Israel didn't submit a bid for the World Championship match. But I'm pleased that the match is in India considering that Anand had to play in Sofia in the previous match.

Garvinator
14-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Hey Garv sour grapes cauz they didn't give it to you in QLD??? :PI think we did bid $1, hoping for lowest unique bidding process. Our email bid must have gotten lost :cool:

ER
14-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I think we did bid $1, hoping for lowest unique bidding process. Our email bid must have gotten lost :cool:

:lol: try 50c next time? :P

ER
14-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm surprised that Israel didn't submit a bid for the World Championship match. But I'm pleased that the match is in India considering that Anand had to play in Sofia in the previous match.

they did, interesting article here!
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/moscow-overtaking-israel-in-race-to-host-world-chess-meet-1.371490
Russia first and now India beat them for money though!

BTW Israel as Turkey have great experience in organising great team or individual tournaments. I am trying to plan my schedule to fit Northern Summer holidays in either / or both those countries in 2012!

However, that means postponing my pilgrimage to Gallipoli for 2013! We 'll see how it goes though!

Bollard
15-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Jak,
Wouldn't the ultimate be to go to Gallipoli for 2015 and then proceed to play the European summer circuit, and maybe also take in the world championship after next? (or will that be in 2014? who knows what FIDE will come up with next)

ER
15-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Jak,
Wouldn't the ultimate be to go to Gallipoli for 2015 and then proceed to play the European summer circuit, and maybe also take in the world championship after next? (or will that be in 2014? who knows what FIDE will come up with next)

Hi Bollard :)
2015 is a bit far ahead for holiday planning!
However, I was thinking more in terms of bridging the gap left between April (Gallipoli) and August / September ( Istanbul Olympiad).
I was thinking for an extended stay in Turkey in 2012 and Israel in 2013 or 2014 but still I have to be coming back to Australia during the winter here!
Under any cirmcustances it couldn't be less than 6 months overseas which is impossible under present circumstances!
Also impractical would be to fit in two trips to Europe in less than 6 months.
We 'll see anyway! :)

Kevin Bonham
17-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Reports of the awarding of this match to Chennai were apparently premature as the FIDE deadline for bids has not expired.

Kevin Bonham
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM
FIDE reports that bids were submitted by India and Russia and that both bids are "well above the minimum required prize fund of 1 million euros. FIDE is currently in contact with the bidders, the players and the two national federations for additional clarifications. The final decision will be made by the FIDE President by 10 August."

Kevin Bonham
09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Chennai got its butt kicked by Moscow in the bidding process so I am locking this thread and the real action can be found here:

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=13296