PDA

View Full Version : Biblical Wisdom from the Book of Proverbs

Oepty
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Biblical Wisdom from the Book of Proverbs

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

This book of God's wisdom and instructions on living life was written by King Solomon. God gave Solomon wisdom and he excelled in it.

29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.
30 And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt.
31 For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.
32 And he spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five.
33 And he spake of trees, from the cedar tree that is in Lebanon even unto the hyssop that springeth out of the wall: he spake also of beasts, and of fowl, and of creeping things, and of fishes.
34 And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom.

So by reading the Book of Proverbs we find the God inspired words of an exceptionally wise man. These words can help anyone live a Godly life, a life which will lead eternal life.

Scott

antichrist
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM

This book of God's wisdom and instructions on living life was written by King Solomon. God gave Solomon wisdom and he excelled in it.

So by reading the Book of Proverbs we find the God inspired words of an exceptionally wise man. These words can help anyone live a Godly life, a life which will lead eternal life.

Scott

You are breaking King Solomon's or God's copyright on this, did you get permission, it may get deleted.

Oepty
01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
You are breaking King Solomon's or God's copyright on this, did you get permission, it may get deleted.

God not only gave me permission he commanded me to do it.

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Scott

Hobbes
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I will do an AC and quote my own shout in a thread so its wisdom is not lost. Anyone with an iPod has more songs then Solomon's 1005 these days so I think the bible is out of date.

Oepty
01-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I will do an AC and quote my own shout in a thread so its wisdom is not lost. Anyone with an iPod has more songs then Solomon's 1005 these days so I think the bible is out of date.

Quality not quantity.

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Don't bother preaching it to velvet worms. They are all atheists. :hand:

Rincewind
01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Don't bother preaching it to velvet worms. They are all atheists. :hand:

As are most parasitic wasps.

William AS
01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
As are most parasitic wasps.
And multicoloured catholic leeches. ;)

antichrist
01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mark and God in Mark 16:15

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature

AC
Adam & Eve tried it with the snake did it with an apple what Serena threatened to do with that ball and the linesgirl

Oepty
01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mark and God in Mark 16:15

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature

AC
Adam & Eve tried it with the snake and it did with an apple what Serena threatened to do with that ball and the linesgirl

No the serpent did the preaching and got a convert too. Unfortunately the serpent was preaching evil not good.
I did not know Serena had threatened to eat a linesgirl.

antichrist
01-07-2011, 06:07 PM
No the serpent did the preaching and got a convert too. Unfortunately the serpent was preaching evil not good.
I did not know Serena had threatened to eat a linesgirl.

ha ha hahaha hhahahhaha

Oepty
01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
ha ha hahaha hhahahhaha

AC if you knew what you were talking about then you would not a implied Serena threatened to eat a linesgirl. The serpent did not shove the fruit down Eve's neck, so what happened in the garden is very different to what Serena threatened to do with the ball and the linesgirl.
Scott

Adamski
01-07-2011, 11:57 PM

Scott
Good stuff, Scott. I am fond of reading the Book of Proverbs. Much wisdoem therein.

Hobbes
02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Quality not quantity.

The quote is "his songs were a thousand and five", not "his songs were bloody good ones", so I still think we were meant to marvel at the number (in the same way you would be taken aback if someone knew 3000 proverbs and dragged them into the conversation at any excuse), hence Steve Jobs rendered this part of the bible out of date.

Also it is unlikely that the instruments, acoustics and recording equipment of King Solomon's day helped the quality either.
:lol:

Redmond Barry
02-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Also it is unlikely that the instruments, acoustics and recording equipment of King Solomon's day helped the quality either.

too much feedback in those days I heard.

Oepty
03-07-2011, 07:14 PM
The quote is "his songs were a thousand and five", not "his songs were bloody good ones", so I still think we were meant to marvel at the number (in the same way you would be taken aback if someone knew 3000 proverbs and dragged them into the conversation at any excuse), hence Steve Jobs rendered this part of the bible out of date.

Fair point. Yes I think the large number is given for a reason, but I was responding to claims of a larger number on an IPOD. I am no fan of the vast majority of music today, both in its sound and lyrics. I am not sure how the songs would have sounded but I am sure that the quality of the lyrics would have been much higher that of the largely nonsense that occurs today.
Scott.

antichrist
03-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Fair point. Yes I think the large number is given for a reason, but I was responding to claims of a larger number on an IPOD. I am no fan of the vast majority of music today, both in its sound and lyrics. I am not sure how the songs would have sounded but I am sure that the quality of the lyrics would have been much higher that of the largely nonsense that occurs today.
Scott.
Janis Joplin would those Jesus Freaks Happy Clappies for dead New or Old testament, dead or alive

S-word
06-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Good stuff, Scott. I am fond of reading the Book of Proverbs. Much wisdoem therein.

I find the satirical writings of Solomon, which are found in the Book of Ecclesiastes more interesting. From the book of Sirach, which is to be found in the Apocrypha of the Old Testament, coupled together with the book of Job, a number of the Psalms, Parables, Ecclesiastes, and the Wisdom of Solomon, all belong to the Hogmah or Wisdom Literature of the Hebrews, ‘Mashal’ means Similitude, parable, or proverb.----- In the book of Sirach, R, H, Charles translation chapter 47 verse 17, it is written concerning Solomon, “By thy songs, parables, dark speeches, and satires, thou didst cause astonishment to the peoples etc.”

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die. I envy those who are dead and gone; they are better off than those who are still alive. But better off than either, are those who have never been born etc.

A man may have a hundred children and live a long time, but no matter how long he lives, if he does not get his share of happiness and does not receive a descent burial, then I say that a baby born dead is better off.

Man and animal receive the same ultimate reward, total oblivion, from the dust they came and to the dust they shall return. A wise man is no better off than a fool, the reward for doing good is the same as that for doing evil, so don’t be too good or too wise, Why kill yourself?

We are all going to our final resting place, and although life is useless, the conclusion of the matter is, if you live a religious life you may at least experience some peace in the short span of consciousness that has been allocated to you in this useless life.

So go ahead and eat, drink and be merry, drink your wine and be cheerful. It’s all right with God. Enjoy your life with the woman you love, as long as you live the useless life that God has given you in this world. Enjoy every useless day of it, because that is all that you’ll get for all your troubles.

Never again will you take part in anything that happens in the world, because there will be no action, no thought, no knowledge, no wisdom in the world of the dead to where the righteous, the wicked, the wise and the fools, animal and man, are all going. For the living know that they are going to die, but the dead know nothing.

Solomon’s songs are found in his book, ‘Song of Songs,’ his parables are found in his book of proverbs, his dark speeches are in the ‘Wisdom of Solomon,’ and who can read the negative and even depressing words from the book of ‘Ecclesiastes,' without realizing, that here is the satirical work of Solomon, aimed at those people of the godless religion, who believed in neither life after death, or the resurrection from the dead. Poor souls, don’t they realise that what the disembodied mind believes, is what that mind receives.

Bonneville
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Scott

Ummm, I don't wish to argue but living a Godly life is not what a person's salvation is dependent upon. It is dependent entirely upon believing in the Son of God.

S-word
07-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Ummm, I don't wish to argue but living a Godly life is not what a person's salvation is dependent upon. It is dependent entirely upon believing in the Son of God.

In this I agree with you, It is the Son of God, who is the spirit that developes within the body of the the Most High in the creation, who is heir to the throne of Godhead to the universal body that has evolved/grown from the infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitesimally small singularity of our origin.

And it is He whose spirit descended upon the head of the man Jesus whom he chose as his earthly spokesman and sent him to speak in his name, and it our belief in HIM by which we shall inherit eternal life.

Jesus who admits that he spoke not one word on his own authority, but only that which he was commanded to say by our Lord God and saviour, says in John 5: 24; “Whoever hear my words (The words that he was commanded to say) and believes in “HIM” who sent me, has eternal life.

Hobbes
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM

It may be that the Colliverism brand of Christianity is different from your own, I seem to remember that belief in the devil is not part of Colliverism either.

S-word
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
It may be that the Colliverism brand of Christianity is different from your own, I seem to remember that belief in the devil is not part of Colliverism either.

In Jesus, who was the earthly host body chosen by the Son of God, who, in the body of Eve was cast out of paradise, and in the great andogynous body of Eve, who is the body of mankind, He, the spiritual Son of God was brought to perfection from the pain and sufferings endured by the body in which he developed, which sufferings were caused by the sins and mistakes made by that body, through which, he "The Son of Man" gained all the wisdom, knowledge and insight, needed by the heir to the Throne of God.

It was for this reason that Jesus, his earthly IMAGE had to be lifted up upon a pole.

For in the same manner that Moses lifted up the IMAGE of the serpent in the wilderness, so too, the IMAGE of the Son of Man had to be lifted up upon a pole, in order that all those who were dying because of the venom of the old serpent that was coursing through their veins, only had to turn their eyes to the IMAGE of his perfection, that had been lifted up for our salvation.