PDA

View Full Version : Chess Notation Comparisons

antichrist
10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Kaitlin (from Chess Book Sale thread)
Are all these books written in algebraic notation of abc 123 or are any in like Kings first square?

AC
that kings first square is called descriptive notation, which aint that bad when analysing black coz counting 1,2,3 down the board from black's side you get that sense of your army moving forward one rank at a time. also when the pieces are attacking with pieces they seem like piercing the heart when they attacking the seventh rank which actually is in white's heart.

Hobbes
10-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the separate thread, but aren't you worried about the people who don't read ChessChat? Maybe it would be worth your while sending your quote of yourself to all the newspapers and TV stations as well, it would be a shame if someone had to miss reading it.

antichrist
10-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the separate thread, but aren't you worried about the people who don't read ChessChat? Maybe it would be worth your while sending your quote of yourself to all the newspapers and TV stations as well, it would be a shame if someone had to miss reading it.

for your info in prevous lives I have been on all TV news and front page of newspapers and on radiio all around the country - I would like to see you do that, not even our medalled KB and BG have achieved gthat, in fact no chess personality in Australia has so...

Kevin Bonham
10-04-2011, 11:13 PM
for your info in prevous lives I have been on all TV news and front page of newspapers and on radiio all around the country - I would like to see you do that, not even our medalled KB and BG have achieved gthat, in fact no chess personality in Australia has so...

Are you sure? There are some Aus chess players or ex-players who are reasonably prominent public figures.

Anyway for what it's worth while not quite comparing to the above I've been on:

* national radio (not counting talkback) interviewed at least twice
* interviewed on TV news screened at state level (and not about chess)
* front page of Hobart Mercury (who hasn't?)

antichrist
11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Are you sure? There are some Aus chess players or ex-players who are reasonably prominent public figures.

Anyway for what it's worth while not quite comparing to the above I've been on:

* national radio (not counting talkback) interviewed at least twice
* interviewed on TV news screened at state level (and not about chess)
* front page of Hobart Mercury (who hasn't?)

BUT, I was the news item on national and internatioinal not just the periferal,, as well as photos, and I was main actor in movie for about 10 minutes - beat that. I have even been bashed and witnessed by about a billion people on TV the privilege being carried out by Swiss guards.

Now to get us both back on topic do you agree with my comments re descriptive notation when analysing black from black's end of board? To simplify the same alegebraic notation could be written for black, I think could be easily done by computers then best of both worlds.

Kevin Bonham
11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Now to get us both back on topic do you agree with my comments re descriptive notation when analysing black from black's end of board?

No. It took me a while to adapt to algebraic, which I only started using around age 22, but descriptive is just too cumbersome. It's particularly annoying to not be able to designate a single square with a single label and to have to talk about whether you mean KR7 from white's side or black's.

antichrist
11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
No. It took me a while to adapt to algebraic, which I only started using around age 22, but descriptive is just too cumbersome. It's particularly annoying to not be able to designate a single square with a single label and to have to talk about whether you mean KR7 from white's side or black's.

that is when my last para above comes in, we have algebraic but written to cover from both side of boards. That is 1-8 and 8-1 down same side of board. i think the computers could translat it. I think with sympathetic notation it makes one think more agressively from black as well as white.

now you can see why I was such a good coach

Rincewind
11-04-2011, 11:07 AM
that is when my last para above comes in, we have algebraic but written to cover from both side of boards. That is 1-8 and 8-1 down same side of board. i think the computers could translat it. I think with sympathetic notation it makes one think more agressively from black as well as white.

I agree, confusion often leads to aggression.

now you can see why I was such a good coach

Do you have any testimonials from strong players you have coached?

antichrist
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree, confusion often leads to aggression.

Do you have any testimonials from strong players you have coached?

well an Aust champ watched me coaching and commented that I was a better coach thean he will ever be - but you know me I dont like to brag

Adamski
11-04-2011, 01:46 PM
LOL at most of AC's comments on this thread - especially the latest one!
FWIW I wouldn't want to go back to descriptive notation now, for the reason Kevin gives (non-uniqueness), though I did happily use it for most of my years as a junior.

Capablanca-Fan
11-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh yes, algebraic is vastly superior for game recording, and even more for blindfold chess.

Descriptive is better, however, for describing many endgames, because of symmetry. It's enough to know that a Q v BP or RP on the 7th draws in most cases, for example. Sometimes there is a little bit of a problem, when a player learned that a R+BP+RP v R is often a draw, and headed for aP + fP and was vexed when his opponent won easily.

Rincewind
11-04-2011, 05:11 PM
well an Aust champ watched me coaching and commented that I was a better coach thean he will ever be - but you know me I dont like to brag

I guess that is a "no". Very odd for someone claiming to be "such a good coach" to not have a single testimonial of a reasonably strong player.

antichrist
11-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I guess that is a "no". Very odd for someone claiming to be "such a good coach" to not have a single testimonial of a reasonably strong player.

it is only my modesty that restrains me. But at least one had gone to reach 2000 rating and others won trophies. One high-rated one refers low-rated players to go through my regime first before he will take them on for further coaching

antichrist
11-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Oh yes, algebraic is vastly superior for game recording, and even more for blindfold chess.

Descriptive is better, however, for describing many endgames, because of symmetry. It's enough to know that a Q v BP or RP on the 7th draws in most cases, for example. Sometimes there is a little bit of a problem, when a player learned that a R+BP+RP v R is often a draw, and headed for aP + fP and was vexed when his opponent won easily.

thanks Jono, as stated earlier when black also refers his attack from rank 1 to rank 8 is more accurate and agressive than rank 8 going down to 1. So if games were notated in algabraic from both white and black sides then it would be perfect. simplicity, aggressive, logical and equal. I dont why it cant be done by computer. So from opening to endgame it has benefit

Rincewind
11-04-2011, 06:49 PM
it is only my modesty that restrains me. But at least one had gone to reach 2000 rating and others won trophies. One high-rated one refers low-rated players to go through my regime first before he will take them on for further coaching

Why would *your* modesty restrain you?

I'm asking about testimonials from others, not you. That is the point (to which you seem oblivious).

antichrist
11-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Why would *your* modesty restrain you?

I'm asking about testimonials from others, not you. That is the point (to which you seem oblivious).

Can I accuse you of thread drift and ask mods to take action?

antichrist
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM

Well Hobbes this new thread is solely due to the toilet do0r being locked in Chess Whatever thread. If I persist in other threads I get censored

Rincewind
11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Can I accuse you of thread drift and ask mods to take action?

You can but it would be a baseless accusation since it was you who introduced your supposed abilities as a chess coach in post #7. As that claimed seemed relevant to the thread by your own inclusion in that post how can the mere substantiation of the same claim be thread drift?

antichrist
12-04-2011, 06:43 AM

The only written testis I can think are of when I was professinally teaching in college (paid good $) and the students had to assess me for the principal, they all made a point of showing me their assessments of 10/10 (actually was 5/5) - say no more and I was hired again.

Npw you return to that other thread and fight Igor, good little boy

Rincewind
12-04-2011, 08:43 AM
The only written testis I can think are of when I was professinally teaching in college (paid good $) and the students had to assess me for the principal, they all made a point of showing me their assessments of 10/10 (actually was 5/5) - say no more and I was hired again.

You were teaching chess at TAFE? Do you have copies of the student assessments?

antichrist
12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
You were teaching chess at TAFE? Do you have copies of the student assessments?

of course not, they had to hand to the principal, but everyone here knows that I am Honest AC and would not tell a lie, except when stirring

wasn't tafe but an evening college

Rincewind
12-04-2011, 04:24 PM
of course not, they had to hand to the principal

They may have handed in to the principal, but the feedback should still have found it's way to you (with identifying information removed) so that you could reflect on (and possibly improve) your teaching.

antichrist
12-04-2011, 06:57 PM
They may have handed in to the principal, but the feedback should still have found it's way to you (with identifying information removed) so that you could reflect on (and possibly improve) your teaching.

After the assessemnt the principal called me in and said that in teaching you either pick it up quickly and survive or sink and that I did very well. When I think of it he came and attended for a while to check me out. You are getting as finicky as your mate KB, hope it is not contageous.

Adamski
13-04-2011, 11:28 PM

Npw you return to that other thread and fight Igor, good little boy
"Written testis"? - another LOL from AC on this thread!