PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Hospitality Textiles Tony Colyer Pty Ltd Australian Schools Teams Championships

Tony_Chow
18-09-2004, 10:03 PM
In the Vic. Sec. Schools' Finals (Open Category), the top three placings were:

Scotch College (22.5 points)
Uni. High (19 points)
Brighton Grammar (18 points)

Scotch College will represent Vic. in the finals in Mt Buller. Players are Sam Chow (Board 1); Daichi Nagao (Board 2); Chris Sia (Board 3) and Alex Hua (Board 4). One or two reserves will be present; pending confirmation.

Can the other states please forward info. on their teams here, if considered appropriate? Thank you.

Tony Chow

jenni
19-09-2004, 01:39 PM
In the Vic. Sec. Schools' Finals (Open Category), the top three placings were:

Scotch College (22.5 points)
Uni. High (19 points)
Brighton Grammar (18 points)

Scotch College will represent Vic. in the finals in Mt Buller. Players are Sam Chow (Board 1); Daichi Nagao (Board 2); Chris Sia (Board 3) and Alex Hua (Board 4). One or two reserves will be present; pending confirmation.

Can the other states please forward info. on their teams here, if considered appropriate? Thank you.

Tony Chow

Hi Tony,

Has the school co-ordinator been given the entry form and information? Gary Wastell has been given all information.

As soon as the Mt Buller website is up, all teams will be put up on the website, as soon as I receive the formal entry.

We would also like a school profile, so that we can put that up on the website as well.

If you are organising the team and haven't received any info, perhaps you would like to contact Gary (or myself) and get the full info.

regards,

Jenni

jenni
19-09-2004, 01:48 PM
I am going to be pedantic and put the correct name for this event as a title to this post.

I have not yet received any formal entries, but from e-mails received the following teams should be present so far.

Open Secondary

WA Christ Church Grammar
Vic Scotch College
SA St Peter's College (considering)

Girls Secondary

Qld Merrimac
ACT Daramalan (very shaky, but possibly)

Open Primary

Vic Essex Heights
ACT Telopea
SA St Peter's Junior School (considering)

Girls Primary

Qld Somerset College
ACT Curtin

Tony_Chow
19-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks Jenni,

The School Co-ordinator will be organising the team entry when term resumes in a fortnight.

I only have to drive the kids up the mountain.

Tony Chow

jenni
19-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks Jenni,

The School Co-ordinator will be organising the team entry when term resumes in a fortnight.

I only have to drive the kids up the mountain.

Tony Chow

That's what parents are for - and to carry the luggage.

jenni
30-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I am getting a few questions about how the bye is going to be handled for the Aus schools comps.

It is specified in the info sheet, which has been posted in the Mt Buller section and also in the info sheet available on the web.

However to summarise - obviously there aren't too many school teams available locally in Mt Buller to fill any bye which might occur in the various divisions of the schools comp.

George Howard left it to me to decide how to do it and I chose a system proposed by Charles Zworestine who is going to DOP at the ASC in December.

Basically the State that won its division in ASC 2003 (held in Perth Jan 2004) get to fill the bye if one occurs. Thus

ACT fills Girls Primary
QLD fills Girls Secondary
NSW fills Open Primary
NSW fills Open Secondary

ACT and QLD both have team on standby to fill their byes. It is unlikely we will have a bye in the Open secondary and I have not talked to NSW as yet about the Open Primary.

jenni
30-09-2004, 12:14 AM
This thread is being moved to the Mt Buller section.

jenni
10-10-2004, 09:52 PM
no official entries received as yet. As soon as I get them, they will be passed onto Jeo to put up on the website. These are the names of winners in various state finals.

Open Secondary

WA Christ Church Grammar entry received
Vic Scotch College
SA St Peter's College entry received
QLD Somerset College
NSW Sydney Boys High entry received
ACT still playing off

Girls Secondary

Qld Merrimac entry received
ACT Daramalan
Vic PLC entry received
SA Walford
NSW need to decide between North Sydney Girls High and Abbotsleigh
QLD Somerset College (filling bye)

Open Primary

VIC Essex Heights
ACT Telopea Park entry received
SA St Peter's Junior School
QLD Worongary entry received
NSW Sydney Grammar - St Ives (provisional)
WA Midland Christian entry received

Girls Primary

Qld Somerset College
ACT Curtin Polgar Entry received
Vic PLC Junior Entry received
SA Wilderness
NSW ongoing
ACT Curtin Moylan (filling bye) Entry received

jenni
11-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Congratulations to Worongary. They only qualified on Sunday, but have already booked their accommodation and sent me their entry and profile. They are definitely an administrator's dream team.

Team to play in mt Buller is Sam Grigg, Jayden Fisher, Sebastian Jule, Lachlan Pedersen-Lee (This is the board order) plus Shaun Curtis as a reserve.

Hopefully Jeo will be putting both the entry and profile up on the official site soon, but here is a photo

jenni
13-10-2004, 03:54 PM
I have been talking to Roman and the Mercure is going to give extra sponsorship for the evening function and afternoon teas (I have a budget from George to spend on these), which will result in this all being free to participants.

It is very generous of the Mercure, particularly when we have made it clear that the schools will not be held there again.

I would urge all schools to stay at the Mercure. It really makes sense to stay there for the 2 nights involved. Also if everyone is staying there, we will have really good social interaction going on and that is a very big part of the schools championships.

Libby has promised me that she will bring up some sports equipment, (soccer balls, indoor cricket bats etc), so that we can get some games happening after the 3rd round on the Saturday.

Bill Gletsos
13-10-2004, 06:52 PM
The ACF Council at its meeting last Monday night has awarded the 2005 Australian Schools event to the NSWCA. Naturally the event will be run by the NSWJCL.
It will be held on the 10-11th December at Newington College in Sydney.

Garvinator
14-10-2004, 12:06 AM
I hope that the drive to the venue will not have echoes of "Are we there yet?" its 2 and a half hours if you go through wittlesea and yea. Dont go through the yarra valley :doh:

jenni
14-10-2004, 09:26 AM
I hear what you say. However, Scotch College owns a Ski Lodge in Mount Buller, close to the venue and this is where the Scotch College team will be staying.

Yes Michele told me about your lodge - hard to go past free accommodation. I think the Mercure will be happy with the bookings as the majority of schools are staying there.

allowance of up to four reserves has raised some discussion between the School Coordinator and I.

My feeling is that 4 reserves is too many. With only 5 rounds and your team wanting to do well, they would be lucky to get a game. The rules allow for four reserves, but realistically no-one takes more than 1 or 2.

Tony_Chow
14-10-2004, 08:04 PM
its 2 and a half hours if you go through wittlesea and yea. Dont go through the yarra valley :

Thank you ggrayggray. Yes, I have driven to Mount Buller several times over the years, for ski trips, when I was younger (those were the days). Have never been there for Summer, although I have driven to the Snowy Mountains before in Summer and had an insight into the vegetation and scenery.

Tony_Chow
14-10-2004, 08:26 PM
My feeling is that 4 reserves is too many. With only 5 rounds and your team wanting to do well, they would be lucky to get a game. The rules allow for four reserves, but realistically no-one takes more than 1 or 2.

Jenni,

Indeed, I was somewhat surprised when I read the form that four reserves were allowed. When I informed Sam, he had a chuckle. This is chess, not rugby!!! (my words).

My thinking was at least one reserve or two at most, to give each reserve at least one game. Both reserves have experience in ACF rated tournaments.

However, the School Co-ordinator suggested that since we are allowed four reserves, two others may join with the understanding that they will not play, but can soak in the atmosphere. After all, we have a ski lodge! So, if we bring four reserves, I guess we bring four reserves, because we can. These kids will probably bring some custom to the Mercure, in terms of meals/drinks. I just have to bring a whistle to control them!

jenni
14-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Oh well fair enough - I can probably borrow them to help me with stuff if they get bored.

Mischa
14-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Jenni,

Am confused about the Queensland team. No mention of Kelvin Finke was made, yet he appears in the photo???

jenni
15-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Jenni,

Am confused about the Queensland team. No mention of Kelvin Finke was made, yet he appears in the photo???

The entry does not contain Kelvin and Sam Grigg is defintely Board 1. Kelvin was part of the winning team, so I assume there is some reason preventing him playing in Mt Buller - pity.

Mischa
16-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi Jenni, have had many {some} parents ask me about times, accommodation, deals, playing schedules.....etc. I have 'noidea' of these issues. Can this thread provide some information for parents of the juniors invovled in this tournament?
As you know I am unable to accompany my junior and my husband has as an even less idea than I do

jenni
17-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi Jenni, have had many {some} parents ask me about times, accommodation, deals, playing schedules.....etc. I have 'noidea' of these issues. Can this thread provide some information for parents of the juniors invovled in this tournament?
As you know I am unable to accompany my junior and my husband has as an even less idea than I do

All this information is contained in the info sheet e-mailed to you and in the one on the web. However my husband always says I write too much and no-one can find the information they need. (and here I am doing it again). So I will summarise the info here. Please ask any other specific questions you need to and I will continue to put replies up here.

Playing times
Round 1 will commence at 10:00am.
Because of the 10 seconds increment, it is possible that a round may be late finishing. In this case the next round will start 15 minutes after the conclusion of the previous round.

Apart from this Round times will be 10:00am, 1pm and 3:30 pm each day.

We look like having 6 teams in each division, so there will be 3 rounds on the Saturday and 2 on the Sunday. We will have prize giving as soon as possible after the last round finishes. Anticipated time between 3 and 3:30. This will enable people who are driving home to leave on the Sunday.

Registration on the first day will be at 9am.

Time Controls
In the Secondary school championships, the time control for the whole game will be 60 minutes per player with an added 10 seconds increment per move made from move 1.
In the primary schools championship, the time control for the whole game will be 40 minutes per player with an added 10 seconds per move made from move 1.

Accommodation
Preferred accommodation is at the Mercure Grand Chalet Hotel at Mt Buller.

Website is http://www.mtbullerchalet.com.au/

All accommodation booking to be made direct with the Mercure on 03 5777-6566. Contact persons are Natasha and Roman Solczaniuk. For the schools comp and the Aus Juniors, the Mercure will consider a child to be anyone competing in the competitions. Normally a child is under 14. The Mercure is allowing 3 children in a room for $90 (continental breakfast), or 2 adults in a room (full breakfast) for $120.00. The rooms have a double/Queen size bed and a sofa bed, which could sleep two people, but it depends on the size of the person. The 4th child would be $20. If a third adult is added to the adult room, that is $50 including breakfast.

If you do not wish to stay at the Mercure, then a large amount of other accommodation can be found at http://www.mtbuller.com.au/accommodation/
Please note that not all of these are open in the summer. Some of the lodges will open for the weekend, but will require a minimum no of people staying there.

Food Arrangements

Lunches will have to be pre-ordered. Lunch order forms will be provided to teams as they enter and on the day. Prices will be in the order of $2 for a simple sandwich, $3 for a more complicated one. E.g. a filling and salad.

Free Afternoon tea will be provided on both days (after the second and fifth rounds).

Social Evening
As usual a Social evening will be held at the completion of round 3. This will be subsidised to keep costs as low as possible. (probably free due to extra sponsorship from the Mercure.

jenni
17-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Girls Secondary

Qld Merrimac
ACT Daramalan
Vic PLC
SA Walford
NSW need to decide between North Sydney Girls High and Abbotsleigh

jenni
19-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Girls Primary

Qld Somerset College
ACT Curtin Primary
Vic PLC Junior
SA Wilderness
NSW ongoing

jenni
19-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Entry received for St Peter's College (South Australia) in the Open Secondary Division.

James Obst
Prakash Thiyagarajah
Ashwin Utturkar
Kailash Thiyagarajah

reserves

Nicholas Chia
Anthony Khoo

jenni
19-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Open Primary

Vic Essex Heights
ACT Telopea
SA St Peter's Junior School
NSW ongoing

This is the first time WA has sent a primary team away, so we are very excited to have their entry.

Midland Christian (WA)

Ashlinne Zoranich
Caleb Simmons
Thomas Edland
Ben Edland

reserves

Jesse Smith
Alex Craggs

Garvinator
19-10-2004, 06:02 PM

This is the first time WA has sent a primary team away, so we are very excited to have their entry.

Midland Christian (WA)

Ashlinne Zoranich
Caleb Simmons
Thomas Edland
Ben Edland

reserves

Jesse Smith
Alex Craggs
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

george
20-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi All,

The following person and Organisations are NOT I repeat NOT involved in the organising of the schools finals,Open or Junior at Mt Buller.

David Cordover
Chess World
Chess Kids

Regards to ALL
George Howard
Main Organiser Mt Buller Chess Tourneys

jenni
20-10-2004, 09:27 PM
The following entry has been received in the girls Primary section

Curtin Polgar (ACT)

Kayleigh Smith
Karen Khoo
Natalie Shadwell
Grace Huang

If a team is needed for the bye the following team will play

Curtin Moylan (ACT)

Amy Frost
Jaclyn Maher
Gala Huang
Lucinda FLood

reserve

Amy Flood

jenni
21-10-2004, 11:31 AM
The following entry has been received

Open Secondary

Sydney Boys High (NSW)

Ronald Yu 2100
Ilia Zvedeniouk 2015
Jason Cohn 1424
Anthony Chau

jenni
21-10-2004, 02:34 PM

Open Secondary

Christ Church Grammar (WA)

Blair Slack-Smith
Christopher Scott
Chester Tulloch
Mark Teoh

reserve

Ernest Tan

Brian_Jones
21-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Amazing - I'm sure I saw Libby in that photograph!

jenni
21-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Amazing - I'm sure I saw Libby in that photograph!
yes a definite family resemblance - particularly the hair.

Garvinator
21-10-2004, 05:06 PM
yes a definite family resemblance - particularly the hair.
can you help out those who are in different states ;)

jenni
21-10-2004, 06:00 PM

Libby's daughter Kayleigh is the one on the right hand side with the curly hair.

jenni
22-10-2004, 11:22 AM

Girls Secondary

Merrimac (Qld)

Alexandra Jule
Amy Evans
Jessica Layton
Charis Chan

Libby
22-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Libby's daughter Kayleigh is the one on the right hand side with the curly hair.

Apparently made her stand out a little in Greece last year too - even in the Aussie team ... :)

Libby
22-10-2004, 11:36 AM

Ah - so you can see me coming (and run? ;) )

jenni
22-10-2004, 03:08 PM
The following entries have been received

Girls Secondary

PLC (Vic)

Sally-Anne Richter
Reniska Sellayah
Leanne Ng
Melanie Chang

Girls Primary

PLC Junior (Vic)

Sally Yu
Alison Zhu
Sakthi Ravitharan
Audrey Quach-Yan

jenni
26-10-2004, 11:41 AM
The Mercure is almost full!!! (For the schools comp)

I spoke to Roman today and there are only 7 rooms left.

The other problem is that the rooms that are left are not ones that he is prepared to sell at $90 for 3 kids. He is prepared to do $120 a room which includes full breakfast – the $90 rate only included a continental breakfast.

He does have a number of schools who have made block bookings while they sort out their actual accommodation needs. It is possible that some of these might cancel rooms and that rooms at the cheaper rate will become available, but it depends on whether you want to take a chance or not.

I would suggest making a booking very soon – you can cancel rooms if you don’t need them without any penalty. Some of the early birds have got really good deals – I understand one teacher (who shall be nameless) has scored an $1,800 a night suite for $120 per night (wish I had booked earlier!)

If anyone is left without accommodation, please contact me, as I can make alternate suggestions – obviously though it would be nice for everyone to be at the Mercure.

jenni
26-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Open Primary Division

Telopea Park School (ACT)

Justin Chow
Etienne Masle-Farquhar
Sidney Holden
Harry Thompson

jenni
26-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Open Secondary

WA Christ Church Grammar entry received
Vic Scotch College entry received
SA St Peter's College entry received
QLD Somerset College entry received
NSW Sydney Boys High entry received
ACT Radford College entry received

Girls Secondary

Qld Merrimac entry received
ACT Daramalan entry received
Vic PLC entry received
SA Walford entry received
NSW Abbotsleigh entry recieved
QLD Somerset College (filling bye) entry received

Open Primary

VIC Essex Heights entry received
ACT Telopea Park entry received
SA St Peter's Junior School entry received
NSW Sydney Grammar - St Ives (provisional) entry received

Girls Primary

Qld Somerset College entry received
ACT Curtin Polgar Entry received
Vic PLC Junior Entry received
SA Wilderness entry received
NSW Summer Hill entry received
ACT Curtin Moylan (filling bye) Entry received

jenni
26-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Ok there appears to be a slight panic happening about accommodation at the Mercure.

I don't have a clear picture of how many rooms are left, but it appears to be anything from 1 to -8.

Marge Lip has booked accommodation for NSW Open secondary and 2 girls teams. Please contact her if you are in those categories.

Anyone who hasn't booked accommodation as yet and wishes to stay at the Mercure needs to contact Roman urgently.

If there is a problem please contact me as I have some alternates.

jenni
27-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Open Primary

St Peter's College Junior School (SA)

Thomas Koo
Charles Du
Matthew Murdock
Jasper Ball

Reserve

Tom Robertson

jenni
27-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Girls Primary

Summer Hill (NSW)

YuXi Pan
Lipi Jain
Charmain Zhang
Alex Downie

Wilderness School (SA)

Katrina Flabouris
Megan Meredith
Katrina Bryant
Kimba Wong

Walford have now confirmed that they are coming, so that means we have 24 teams competing - 6 in each division.

Garvinator
27-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have spoken to Roman and the current situation for the schools championships is:

There are 65 rooms and 70 bookings have been recieved at Mercure. there are no cancellations fees.

Any further questions welcome.

jenni
27-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Walford Anglican School for Girls (SA)

Laura Morrissey
Kate Morrissey
Katherine Liew
Brittannie Bierton

reserve
Nicola Pearce

Libby
27-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have spoken to Roman and the current situation for the schools championships is:

There are 65 rooms and 70 bookings have been recieved at Mercure. there are no cancellations fees.

Any further questions welcome.

Hi All

If anyone is looking for "overflow" bookings we have a lot of ACT people staying at Avalanche Alpine Lodge for the Juniors but nobody (as far as I know) for the Schools.

It is very cheap and only (they tell me) about 700-800 metres from the playing venue. The website http://www.avalanchealpinelodge.com.au/ has lots of info and their booking officer is Jacqui Stiles (03)9894-7375 or bookings@avalanchechalet.com.au The website has all the info (even floor plans of the apartments which sleep 8).

It obviously doesn't have all the great Mercure fittings, furnishings & facilities. We are paying $560/wk for the apartments for the Juniors but you'd have to contact Jacqui for December rates (and shorter stay rates).

BTW - $560/wk for the juniors (sleeping 8) is $10pp per night in case anyone is wondering why we are staying there. Of course ... we don't have a pool but we do have " ... fully self contained apartments that can sleep up to 8 people, and include fully equiped kitchenette and lounge area, as well as private bathroom facilities, and a bedroom. The bedroom can sleep 6 (if two sleep in double) and the lounge area has a couch that folds out to a double."

They also have (even cheaper) rooms to sleep 2, 3, 4, or 6 people with just TV, fridge, sink & shared kitchen/bathroom facilities.

The two Curtin teams are staying at Benmore Lodge but this is now full.

Whilst I think the Mercure deal is great (great price for the style of accommodation) we opted for really cheap & cheerful so that our fundraising efforts this year have allowed us to even bring coaches along with us and the kids don't have to find a cent for the school event - and that's for 2 teams. Seems a fortunate choice actually, as we would need (based on our lodge booking) another 20+ beds at the overflowing Mercure.

Libby :D

jenni
28-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Open Secondary Division

Scotch College (Vic)

Sam Chow
Daichi Nagao
Chris Sia
Alex Hua

Reserves

Derek Yu
James Wan

jenni
28-10-2004, 09:37 AM
The Open Secondary Division is shaping up to be fiercely competitive. Victoria, Queensland and NSW have super good teams, but South Australia has a lot of depth as well. Western Australia and ACT (whichever team wins the playoff), will find themselves struggling, but great experience to be gained.

The board 1 positions are particularly strong, featuring Sam Chow, Ronald Yu, Phachara Wongwichit, James Obst and probably either Gareth Oliver or Junta Ikeda. Blair Slack-Smith from WA is obviously a talented player, but will find this competition tough.

The Open Primary will probably be a tussle between NSW, Vic and Queensland. (Somehow those same states keep coming up!). Raymond Song and James Morris will be the game to watch.

The Girls Secondary will feature the same states, with Sally-Anne Richter on board 1 for Victoria, Alex Jule for Queensland and either Heather Huddleston or Catherine Lip for NSW.

Girls Primary is a bit hard to say, because so many of the girls are unknown. However my feeling is that the ACT and Queensland are well ahead of the other teams and it will be a tussle between those two, with NSW as a bit of an outside chance.

However this is Junior Chess and anything can (and usually does!) happen.

jenni
28-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Open Primary Division

Essex Heights (Vic)

James Morris
Eugene Schon
Jamie Carey
Udit Thakur

Reserve

Jerome Lugo

jenni
28-10-2004, 11:10 AM
CHESS AT MERRIMAC STATE HIGH SCHOOL

Merrimac State High School values chess as an important means of promoting higher-order thinking skills and encouraging social interaction between students. It has proved a very popular game here over the last 3 years and the library is the main playing area.

Students use standard tournament boards and clocks. There is an ever-growing collection of chess books to help improve their skills.

Students play in their own time during breaks and before school. They are encouraged to compete in numerous holiday, weekend and club events outside of school hours. The top students go on to compete in interschool tournaments with some competing at State and National levels. Their successes encourage the lower-rated students to compete in tournaments or to play socially at school.

Coaching with a professional coach is provided where feasible and students have the access to masterclasses at this school with grandmasters as they are available. These opportunities are funded by the school.

The school open teams perform well at local interschool competitions placing 2nd in the last 2 years.

Merrimac strongly encourages girls to participate in chess and to date is the only government school to have entered a girls’ team in the secondary division at the Queensland Girls Schools Teams Championship.

In 2003 both the girls’ team and the open team placed 2nd in Queensland. In 2004 the girls’ team won the State Championships and the open team placed 5th in Queensland.

Students’ successes are recognised at whole school year level assemblies and the annual school Presentation Night where the most outstanding male player and the most outstanding female player receive medals.

GIRLS’ CHESS TEAM

Merrimac has competed in the Queensland Schools Girls’ Teams Chess Championships (Secondary Division) for the last 3 years. The 2003 team placed 2nd.

This year the girls’ team - Alexandra Jule, Amy Evans, Jessica Layton and Charis Chan were each undefeated on the day.

Chess achievement’s of the girls team this year include:
• one player selected for the World Junior Chess Championships in Greece this year. She has previously competed at this level in Crete and Spain.
• two Australian individual Girls’ Age Champions (U16 and U14)
• the current Queensland Women’s Champion
• a 3rd and a 6th in the Queensland Women’s Championship
• the current Queensland Girls’ Champion (for the second year running)
• the current Gold Coast Woman’s Champion
• a 3rd in the Gold Coast Women’s Championships
• membership of Merrimac’s open team which placed 2nd in Queensland last year
• 2 girls played on the open team which placed 5th in Queensland this year and 2nd in the Gold Coast High Schools Teams Championships
• a 2004 Gold Coast Individual Age winner

jenni
28-10-2004, 11:19 AM
St. Peter’s College Secondary School Team

St. Peter’s Senior School chess has about forty players who play regular matches representing the school in the local secondary competition. Another fifty students participate in lunchtime chess activities and three internal competitions that are run throughout the year. One of the highlights of our chess season is the annual Intercollegiate Chess match between our school and a rival, Prince Alfred College. Each school selects its best twelve players to play off for a trophy. This competition has been in existence for a quarter of a century and is fiercely contested.

The players who compose our 2004 team this year are as follows.

JAMES OBST James has had a very strong year in 2004. He played top board for St. Peter’s College Blue in the schools’ competition and remained undefeated. He has played several tournaments interstate during holiday breaks with much success. This is the second year he is representing the South Australia in this National competition at senior school level.

PRAKASH THIYAGARAJAH Prakash played second board for St. Peter’s College Blue in 2004 and saw out the season undefeated. A highlight during this year was his 14th place in the 2004 University Open National. This will be his second trip to the Nationals at senior school level.

ASHWIN UTTURKAR Ashwin has held down third board in the St. Peter’s College Blue team, winning all his matches this season. He gained overseas experience in a Commonwealth tournament in India and won commendation in a recent lightning competition.

KAILASH THIYAGARAJAH Kailash played board 4 in the St. Peter’s College Blue team and went down in only one match this season. An opponent once said that Kailash should never be underestimated.

NICK CHIA As board 5 player in the St. Peter’s College Blue team, Nick has played with distinction this season, only losing one game. He also performed well in the 2004 University Open National and was runner up in the Under 16 State competition.

ANTHONY KHOO Anthony played board one for St. Peter’s College Gold team this season and lost only one match. He furthered his growing reputation as a chess player by becoming the Under 16 State Champion.

jenni
28-10-2004, 11:21 AM
St Peters College is an Anglican school for boys with a Senior and Junior school in the one campus. There are over 1100 students and it is situated just outside of the city of Adelaide. The Chess Club is very popular in the Junior School with over 120 players from years 3-7 playing in 21 teams in either A, B or C Grades. This year we were successful in winning the A and C Grade. Our A team consists of Thomas Khoo (Yr 6), Charles Du (Yr 6), Matthew Murdock (Yr 7), Jasper Ball (Yr 7) and Tom Robertson (Yr 5). Thomas came second in the state U/12 championships and only lost one match during the regular season. Charles came third in the April Training Tournaments and only lost two games during the season. Matthew is a House Captain and only lost two games during the chess season. Jasper has been playing chess for 3 years and also only lost two games for the season. Tom is new to the school this year and did not lose a game during the season. This year will be our fifth year that we have represented South Australia in the Open Primary section. We hosted the event in 2000 and our best result was second place in 2002.

jenni
30-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Finally ACT has been able to put an entry in!

After a fierce playoff the ACT rep team will be.

Radford College

Gareth Oliver
Kishore Sreetharan
David Jaksa
Tamzin Oliver

george
01-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Hi Jenni,

I cook reasonably well so Charles , Garvin and myself wont starve during the schools but your welcome anytime.

Regards
George

jenni
01-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi Jenni,

I cook reasonably well so Charles , Garvin and myself wont starve during the schools but your welcome anytime.

Regards
George

Now that Roman has talked me into paying for a room, rather than sharing the Heli House with you lot, I am looking forward to indulging myself with Gyms and indoor swimming pools. However I have promised Charles that I will visit and not abandon him totally :)

jenni
07-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Please note this team is not yet in confirmed board order

Secondary Girls

Abbotsleigh (NSW)

Catherine Lip

Shu-Yin Tang

Jennifer So

Emma Storey

Eliza Griffiths

Jemima Griffith

jenni
07-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Somerset College has had a chess programme since 1990. In 1998, Somerset primary and secondary teams represented Queensland at the inaugural Australian Schools Teams Championship held at Sydney Grammar. Both teams came second.

The following year the Somerset primary team shared the national title at Canberra Grammar with Essex Heights.

Last year at the Hale School in Perth the Somerset All Girls Primary team came third.

This year the Somerset Open team qualified for the nationals with a perfect 28/28 score at the state finals, after five consecutive years of coming second. The team for the nationals is Phachara Wongwichit , Toshi Kimura, Chris Page Steven Cooke and Ric Kaspar .

The All Girls Primary won the state title for the second year in a row.

The All Girls High team came second at the state titles and were invited to fill the bye round. The team in board order is Christina Webb, Margaret Mansbridge, Alexandra Roberts and Alexandra McMillan.

jenni
07-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Curtin Moylan

from left to right

Amy Flood, Lucinda Flood, Jaclyn Maher, Amy Frost & Gala Huang

jenni
07-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Essex Heights Primary School is in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Its current population is 645 children.
Chess at Essex Heights has grown over the last 10 years from 1 class taught by a parent, Peter Carey, who volunteered his time, to many classes and great successes years later. We now have weekly Chess Club, Junior Extension and Master Classes and coaching across the Year 3 level.
This year is our 8th consecutive year that we have been State Champions.

jenni
07-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Summer Hill Public School is a State school with a long history going back to 1883. It is situated in the inner-west of Sydney. Summer Hill Public School has approximately 710 children, 40% of our students coming from non-English speaking backgrounds. Our school is often regarded as a school for the performing arts and also includes four Opportunity classes.

Summer Hill Public School has become State chess Champions in the Girls division of the Primary championships on three separate occasions. They will be representing their State at the ASCC again this year.

The team is coached by Mr Michael Walsh, a former President of the Senior NSW Chess Association and a former Sydney chess champion. The hardworking Chess Committee in conjunction with Michael Walsh, have seen the numbers of students involved in chess at school increase dramatically over the last two years. The President /Manager of our Club is Mr Pankaj Jain.

jenni
07-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Radford College is a co-educational Anglican School. It was established in 1984 and over the last 6 years has been the dominant chess school in Canberra at the secondary level.

A Middle School was established in 2004 and it is intended to eventually have a full Primary and Secondary School.

Radford has been the ANU High School Champion since 2000, the ACT High Schools Champion since 1999 and has also represented the ACT at the ASC since 1999. In 2004 the Radford Primary Chess players were also a Zone Champion and came =3rd at the Primary schools finals. The winning Radford High Schools team has always contained at least one and often two girls – a rarity among chess teams at the Secondary level.

A chess club runs every Thursday at lunch time and in winter had over 50 students playing.

Chess is a full co-curricular activity at Radford and has braids and half-braids for chess, as well as a Captain of Chess and a Master in charge of chess.

2004 Chess Captain is Gareth Oliver (a rare honour as Captains are normally Year 12 students and Gareth is in year 11). MIC for Chess is Mr Michael Walsh. Mr Walsh’s specialities are History and Latin, but he has a great appreciation of chess.

Gareth Oliver has been playing chess since the age of 5. He was the Australian Under 10 and Under 12 champion and has represented Australia on many occasions. Kishore Sreetharan is also a long term chess player. He came from Hawker Primary, which has a long history of chess participation. David Jaksa is much newer to chess, but has embraced it fervently over the last few years. Tamzin Oliver has also been playing chess for many years. She played board 4 on the St Monica’s girls’ team that came 3rd in the ASC in Adelaide in 2000. She was Board 1 and Captain of the St Monica’s girls’ team that won the Girls Primary Division at the ASC in Perth earlier this year.

jenni
08-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Telopea Park School, incorporating the Lycee Franco Australian, is a unique school. It has a long proud history as a school, having taken its first students in 1923. Since 1984 is has been a binational French-Australian school, established as the result of an Agreement between the Governments of France and Australia. All of the primary and approximately one fifth of the secondary students follow the English-French bilingual program. The remaining of the secondary students follow a comprehensive secondary program.

Chess at Telopea Park School is present only as an after-school activity which is available to students and parents who choose to do. Telopea Park students keen in chess participate actively in the Souths Junior Chess Club run by the ACT Junior Chess League. A few also participate in chess tournaments regularly. 2004 is the first year Telopea Park School represents the ACT in the Australian Schools Chess Championship, having won two playoffs against other school teams.

jenni
08-11-2004, 10:38 AM
entry for Open Primary

Sydney Grammar - St Ives (NSW)

Raymond Song
William Xu
Michael Jenkins
Bob Teoh

Garvinator
13-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I quite often have a look at the cams from www.mtbuller.com.au and it appears that mt buller has recieved snow overnight. With the astc only 3 weeks away :eek: i would really advise taking warm clothes as it could snow during the astc :owned:

jenni
13-11-2004, 03:29 PM
A picture is worth a 1000 words

jenni
14-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Abbotsleigh Senior School has had the honour of representing NSW in the Nationals Schools Chess Championships since the establishment of the Girls Secondary Division in 1999. Over the past 6 years, Abbotsleigh Chess Club has grown in number and developed some of the top female chess players in the state through our regular lunchtime practices and genuine love for the game. The strong support from our parents and the fantastic friendships we have made through chess has encouraged us to continue pursuing our chess strengths to where we are now.
This year the Abbotsleigh team consists of the original awesome-foursome of Catherine Lip, Shuyin Tang, Eliza Griffiths and Jennifer So who have been playing as a team in both the Nationals and in state school tournaments since Year 8 (and are all currently in Year 12). Abbotsleigh’s newest member to the team is youngster Emma Storey in Year 8, who was a fine asset on our National team last year, and we know will do so again this year. Our final member of the team, and the most crucial and imperative element to the functioning of the team, is the worthy and oh so handsome team mascot, Hippo!!! It is hard to image our team, without his constant radiant present throughout our chess training and playing!

jenni
14-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Sydney Boys High School has a long and proud chess history, with countless tournament victories in all formats. Such players as Rick Lopis and Gareth Charles are but a few of the many great talents produced by the SBHS chess academy. The friendly and welcoming, yet competitive atmosphere in the school library, where most chess is played, is a contributing factor to the success of SBHS teams, although so is the competent organisation and ample supply of equipment.

The SBHS team consists of the famous Ronald Yu, the infamous Ilia Zvedeniouk, the even more so infamous Jason Cohn, and the relative unknown Anthony Chau. Most ill-famed of all, the team coach is the Michael Lip.

JimF
14-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I trust that no one is surprised that it can snow at Mt Buller during SUMMER! Thanks for the webcam snap (cold), Jenni.

Where's me Damarts?

jenni
14-11-2004, 10:59 PM
I trust that no one is surprised that it can snow at Mt Buller during SUMMER! Thanks for the webcam snap (cold), Jenni.

Where's me Damarts?

Well I am sure intellectually we all know it can snow in the mountains in Summer, but I still had idealistic pictures of the kids playing cricket outside on the social evening. Oh well mulled wine around a fire might be nice and stuff the kids :)

Libby
15-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Well I am sure intellectually we all know it can snow in the mountains in Summer, but I still had idealistic pictures of the kids playing cricket outside on the social evening. Oh well mulled wine around a fire might be nice and stuff the kids :)

So when you suggested I bring some sports equipment I should revise the interpretation to be skis, toboggans and perhaps darts (as an indoor pursuit)? :)

jenni
15-11-2004, 01:19 PM
So when you suggested I bring some sports equipment I should revise the interpretation to be skis, toboggans and perhaps darts (as an indoor pursuit)? :)

Well I am still hoping the original idea might be a goer - it looked a bit better today - less snow, although still kind of gray and murky.

jenni
15-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Midland Christian School Profile

Midland Christian School is a double streamed co-educational primary school with approximately five hundred students enrolled from Kindergarten to Year Seven. The school was the first school established in 1982 by the Swan Christian Education Association and its current site is in the Swan Valley about twenty minutes east of Perth. The Association has developed into a recognised System which operates eight schools including Midland.

The school was established in the belief that children needed not only an education that catered to their mental and physical needs but also one which offered a firm spiritual foundation based on the realities of the Christian faith. Midland Christian School seeks to provide a quality education based on Christian values. These values under-pin all of our teaching because we recognise that no education is value free.

A Christian world view that focuses on building caring relationships, both in the school and in the wider community is presented. The school is a community in which teachers, students and parents all play vital roles. One approach which facilitates relationship building, is the “buddy system” where older students work with the teachers to provide guidance and modelling to the younger students through planned activities. Building relationships extends beyond school hours with various seminars and workshops on specific topics arranged for our parent community.

As committed Christians, our staff do not view their jobs as simply earning a living, but as opportunities to make a difference in the lives of the children with whom they interact. They believe that students are individuals and endeavour to love, nurture, protect and prepare them through the delivery of our programmes. The programmes have expanded to include Chess, which began at Midland Christian School in 2001 as a lunch time activity to encourage students with their problem solving skills. In 2002 the programme expanded to include Chess in one weekly afternoon elective for Years Six and Seven. In that year, the students entered the Metropolitan Primary Schools’ Competition and won the C Grade. Since then the number of students actively playing in school competitions has increased to over forty, with all the students being taught to play in Year Two. In 2003 and 2004 the teams have performed well winning the A Grade on both occasions.

Midland Christian School considers it an honour to represent Western Australia in the Australian Schools’ Team Championships. We have been blessed with a wonderful group of students, parents and an enthusiastic tutor who have all worked very hard towards achieving this goal.

Tony_Chow
21-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Question: Do the players wear school uniforms in this tournament?

jenni
21-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Question: Do the players wear school uniforms in this tournament?

Yes they do, where uniforms or colour codes exist, - they are representing their schools as well as their state.

jenni
23-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Website is now complete, but doesn't have any more info on it, that in this thread - however much more accessible than trying to go though multiple pages.

Many thanks to he who won't allow himself to be named (i.e Mr K R) for all his hard work in getting this up during Uni exams.

http://www.mtbullerchess.com/playerprofiles.php

george
23-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Hi Jenni,

Im at the mountain and the days are fine and sunny but the mornings and evenings are cool to cold. The sunrise is stunning so be prepared to get up at 5.30 at least one morning.

The scoresheets are done the timers coming from SA - all is right with the world - this place tends to bring some peace and equilibrium which is nice.

See you soon - I was told today the WA folks are coming 1st December - very fortunate as Mt Buller is stunning.

The location for these chess tournaments is not going to be forgotten for a very long time - its great.

George

Garvinator
23-11-2004, 04:19 PM
The scoresheets are done the timers coming from SA - all is right with the world
The dgt boards and timers will be arriving on december 3. Gary Bekker will be coming up on the 3rd to help me to set the boards etc up.

jenni
25-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Many thanks to Gary Wastell for setting up Publisher docs for me (and providing necessary paper etc), to be used for printing scoretables for the ASC results.

I am starting to panic just a little bit as I always do before a major comp, but I have a feeling it is going to be a really good weekend!

jenni
25-11-2004, 04:42 PM
The sunrise is stunning so be prepared to get up at 5.30 at least one morning.

George

You have got to be kidding - the only reason for getting up at that time of the day is if you are seriously jetlagged and haven't recovered yet. :eek:

JimF
25-11-2004, 08:10 PM
jenni, jenni, jenni. Obviously you have missed out on the "finer" things in life. To arise at 5 or 5:30 in the morning to sniff the brisk breeze in the mountain clime in a place next to nowhere and to watch that orb called Sun spread her glory across the earth is a life experience. As for me, I'll be at Ocean Grove so I couldn't give a tinkers!

:lol: :whistle: :lol:

george
25-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi Jenni,

See I'm not the only lover of natural beauty - give it a go Jenni. How about I get a group together to watch the sunrise - that would be so cool - then you pampered puppies in the Mercure can run back to luxury!

George

jenni
25-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Jenni,

See I'm not the only lover of natural beauty - give it a go Jenni. How about I get a group together to watch the sunrise - that would be so cool - then you pampered puppies in the Mercure can run back to luxury!

George
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jenni
27-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Wilderness School

Wilderness School is a non-denominational day and boarding school for girls from Reception to Year 13, with an Early Learning Centre for girls and boys who are 3 years of age. Our current enrolment is 600, comprising 200 day girls in the Junior School and 330 day girls and 70 boarders in the Middle and Upper Schools.

The Chess Club is a lunch-time activity on two days per week, attended by girls from Years 2 to 12. Teams are entered into the Inter-school competitions each year. The girls playing in the Australian Schools Teams Championships have played in the S.A. Junior Chess League competitions – Katerina Flabouris (Yr 6) 2004, Megan Meredith (Yr 6), 2003-4, Katerina Bryant (Yr 5), 2002-4 and Kimba Wong (Yr 5), 2003-4, in Primary Girls, Primary C, Primary B, and Division 2.

jenni
02-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Chess Profile
Scotch College is an all boys school affiliated with the Presbyterian Church of Victoria. The school has approximately 1860 students including boarders.Situated on a superb 27 hectare campus on the banks of Melbourne's Yarra River, the Scotch College Senior School offers challenging and co-coordinated programmes for boys from Years 7 - 12.
Chess at Scotch is quite popular and is played at various levels. After being placed on hold for some time, Chess club is held 1-2 times a week and over the past two years Scotch has entered Chess Victoria’s secondary teams’ competitions. A Chess event is held each term which tries to involve a wider group from the school. In 2004 Scotch had seven competitive teams as well as many casual players and the Years 7-9 were successful in the augural Junior Secondary State Competition.
2004 saw the introduction of a Chess captain – Daichi Nagao and Vice Captains- Sam Chow & James Wan. Colours and half colours for Chess were also introduced. Staff co-ordination of this activity comes under the direction of the Extension Studies Co-ordinator.
Sam Chow
Sam began playing Chess at the age of five and has enjoyed the game ever since. Some of his achievements include:
o 2003 Australian Under 16 Champion
o 2001 Australian Under 14 Champion & Victorian Junior Champion
o 2000 Victorian junior Champion
o 1999 Australian Under 12 Champion
Sam plays tennis, squash, soccer and has a red belt in Taekwondo. He plays the flute in the school’s Symphony Orchestra and has an A.Mus.A in flute.
He has a keen interest in Mathematics and has won two medals in the annual Australian Mathematics Competition in 2001 and 2003 as well as various other awards fro Mathematics.
Derek Yu
Derek is an accomplished Chess player who also enjoys Mathematics.
Alex Hua
Alex is a talented musician with an interest in Mathematics. He is a boarder at Scotch and comes from Sale in Gippsland. Alex plays violin and piano and has a L.Mus.A. He received a bronze medal at the 2004 International Mathematics Olympiad in Athens.

jenni
02-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Ok That's it - off to Mt Buller with Charles Zworestine.

I have repacked my clothes at least 3 times and vacillated between winter and summer clothes. However the cold front seems to have blown through and I am back to Summer with jumpers.

Looking forward to a good weekend. :)

george
02-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi Jenni,

I hate to influence your packing but definitely bring warm clothes - summer clothes if you like but dont miss the warm clothes - weather for slacks up here Jenni not your usual lovely summer outfits.

Regards
George

jenni
10-12-2004, 04:21 PM
AUST. SCHOOLS TEAMS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2004

DRAW FOR ROUND 1

Open Secondary

Somerset College (QLD) 4 – 0 Christchurch Grammar (WA)

1. Phachara Wongwichit 1 – 0 Blair Slack-Smith
2. Toshi Kimura 1 – 0 Christopher Scott
3. Chris Page 1 – 0 Chester Tulloch
4. Steven Cooke 1 – 0 Mark Teoh

Scotch College (VIC) 1½ – 2½ Radford College (ACT)

1. Sam Chow ½ – ½ Gareth Oliver
2. Derek Yu 0 – 1 Kishore Sreetharan
3. Daichi Nagao ½ – ½ David Jaksa
4. Chris Sia ½ – ½ Tamzin Oliver

St. Peter’s (SA) 1½ – 2½ Sydney Boys High (NSW)

1. James Obst ½ – ½ Ronald Yu
2. Prakash Thiyagarajah 0 – 1Ilia Zvedeniouk
3. Ashwin Utturkar ½ – ½ Jason Cohn
4. Anthony Khoo ½ – ½ Anthony Chau

Girls Secondary

Walford College (SA) 0 – 4 Merrimac (QLD)

1. Laura Morrissey 0 – 1 Alex Jule
2. Kate Morrissey 0 – 1 Amy Evans
3. Brittanie Bierton 0 – 1 Jessica Layton
4. Katherine Liew 0 – 1 Charis Chan

Abbotsleigh (NSW) 4 – 0 Daramalan (ACT)

1. Catherine Lip 1 – 0 Sophie Heath
2. Shuyin Tang 1 – 0 Sarah Norfor
3. Eliza Griffiths 1 – 0 Kirby Stuart
4. Jennifer So 1 – 0 Sarah Wolf

Somerset College (QLD) 0 – 4 PLC (VIC)

1. Christina Webb 0 – 1 Sally-Anne Richter
2. Margaret Mansbridge 0 – 1 Renishka Sellayah
3. Alexandra Roberts 0 – 1 Leanne Ng
4. Alexandra McMillan 0 – 1 Melanie Chang

DRAW FOR ROUND 1

Open Primary

Midland Christian (WA) 1 – 3 Sydney Grammar (NSW)

1. Caleb Simmons 0 – 1 Raymond Song
2. Thomas Edland 0 – 1 William Xu
3. Ben Edland 0 – 1 Michael Jenkins
4. Jesse Smith 1 – 0 Bob Teoh

Essex Heights (VIC) 4 – 0 Telopea (ACT)

1. James Morris 1 – 0 Justin Chow
2. Eugene Schon 1 – 0 Etienne Masle-Farquhar
3. Jamie Carey 1 – 0 Sidney Holden
4. Udit Thakur 1 – 0 Harry Thompson

Worongary (QLD) 4 – 0 St. Peter’s (SA)

1. Sam Grigg 1 – 0 Thomas Khoo
2. Jayden Fisher 1 – 0 Charles Du
3. Sebastian Jule 1 – 0 Matthew Murdock
4. L Pedersen-Lee 1 – 0Jasper Ball

Girls Primary

Wilderness (SA) 2 – 2 Curtin Moylan (ACT)

1. Katerina Flabouris 1 – 0 Amy Frost
2. Megan Meredith 0 – 1 Jacyln Maher
3. Katerina Bryant 1 – 0 Gala Huang
4. Kimba Wong 0 – 1 Lucinda Flood

Summer Hill (NSW) ½ – 3½ Curtin Polgar (ACT)

1. Yuxi Pan 0 – 1 Kayleigh Smith
2. Lipi Jain 0 – 1 Karen Khoo
3. Charmain Zhang ½ – ½ Natalie Shadwell
4. Alex Downie 0 – 1 Grace Huang

Somerset College (QLD) 3 – 1 PLC (VIC)

1. Jessica Kinder 1 – 0 Sally Yu
2. Anthea Page 1 – 0 Alison Zhu
3. Georgina Scott 1 – 0 Sakthi Ravitharan
4. Chanel Gray 0 – 1 Audrey Quach-Yan

DRAW FOR ROUND 2

Open Secondary

Somerset College (QLD) 0 – 4 Scotch College (VIC)

1. Phachara Wongwichit 0 – 1 Sam Chow
2. Toshi Kimura 0 – 1 Daichi Nagao
3. Chris Page 0 – 1 Chris Sia
4. Ric Kaspar 0 – 1 Alex Hua

Radford College (ACT) 2 – 2 St. Peter’s (SA)

1. Gareth Oliver ½ – ½ James Obst
2. Kishore Sreetharan 0 – 1 Prakash Thiyagarajah
3. David Jaksa 1 – 0 Anthony Khoo
4. Tamzin Oliver ½ – ½ Nicholas Chia

Christchurch (WA) 0 – 4 Sydney Boys High (NSW)

1. Blair Slack-Smith 0 – 1 Ronald Yu
2. Christopher Scott 0 – 1 Ilia Zvedeniouk
3. Chester Tulloch 0 – 1 Jason Cohn
4. Mark Teoh 0 – 1 Anthony Chau

Girls Secondary

Walford College (SA) 1 – 3 Abbotsleigh (NSW)

1. Laura Morrissey 0 – 1 Catherine Lip
2. Kate Morrissey 0 – 1 Shuyin Tang
3. Brittanie Bierton 1 – 0 Emma Storey
4. Katherine Liew 0 – 1 Jennifer So

Daramalan (ACT) 2 – 2 Somerset College (QLD)

1. Sophie Heath 1 – 0 Christina Webb
2. Sarah Norfor 0 – 1 Margaret Mansbridge
3. Kirby Stuart 1 – 0 Alexandra Roberts
4. Sarah Wolf 0 – 1 Alexandra McMillan

Merrimac (QLD) 2½ – 1½ PLC (VIC)

1. Alex Jule ½ – ½ Sally-Anne Richter
2. Amy Evans ½ – ½ Renishka Sellayah
3. Jessica Layton ½ – ½ Leanne Ng
4. Charis Chan 1 – 0 Melanie Chang

DRAW FOR ROUND 2

Open Primary

Telopea (ACT) 1 – 3 Worongary (QLD)

1. Justin Chow 1 – 0 Sam Grigg
2. E Masle-Farquhar 0 – 1 Jayden Fisher
3. Sidney Holden 0 – 1 Sebastian Jule
4. Harry Thompson 0 – 1 Lachlan Pedersen-Lee

Midland Christian (WA) 0 – 4 Essex Heights (VIC)

1. Ashlinne Zoranich 0 – 1 James Morris
2. Caleb Simmons 0 – 1 Eugene Schon
3. Thomas Edland 0 – 1 Jamie Carey
4. Jesse Smith 0 – 1 Jerome Lugo

Sydney Grammar (NSW) 4 – 0 St. Peter’s (SA)

1. Raymond Song 1 – 0 Thomas Khoo
2. William Xu 1 – 0 Charles Du
3. Michael Jenkins 1 – 0 Matthew Murdock
4. Bob Teoh 1 – 0 Tom Robertson

Girls Primary

Wilderness (SA) 0 – 4 Summer Hill (NSW)

1. Katerina Flabouris 0 – 1 Yuxi Pan
2. Megan Meredith 0 – 1 Lipi Jain
3. Katerina Bryant 0 – 1 Charmain Zhang
4. Kimba Wong 0 – 1 Alex Downie

Curtin Polgar (ACT) 3 – 1 Somerset College (QLD)

1. Kayleigh Smith 0 – 1 Jessica Kinder
2. Karen Khoo 1 – 0 Anthea Page
3. Natalie Shadwell 1 – 0 Georgina Scott
4. Grace Huang 1 – 0 Chanel Gray

Curtin Moylan (ACT) 2 – 2 PLC (VIC)

1. Jacyln Maher 0 – 1 Sally Yu
2. Gala Huang 0 – 1 Alison Zhu
3. Lucinda Flood 1 – 0 Sakthi Ravitharan
4. Amy Flood 1 – 0 Audrey Quach-Yan

DRAW FOR ROUND 3

Open Secondary

Scotch College (VIC) 4 – 0 Christchurch Grammar (WA)

1. Sam Chow 1 – 0 Blair Slack-Smith
2. Daichi Nagao 1 – 0 Christopher Scott
3. Chris Sia 1 – 0 Chester Tulloch
4. James Wan 1 – 0 Ernest Tan

Sydney Boys High (NSW) 2½ – 1½ Radford College (ACT)

1. Ronald Yu 1 – 0 Gareth Oliver
2. Ilia Zvedeniouk 0 – 1 Kishore Sreetharan
3. Jason Cohn 1 – 0 David Jaksa
4. Anthony Chau ½ – ½ Tamzin Oliver

St. Peter’s (SA) 2 – 2 Somerset College (QLD)

1. James Obst 1 – 0 Phachara Wongwichit
2. Prakash Thiyagarajah 0 – 1 Toshi Kimura
3. Ashwin Utturkar ½ – ½ Chris Page
4. Kailash Thiyagarajah ½ – ½ Steven Cooke

Girls Secondary

Somerset College (QLD) 2 – 2 Walford College (SA)

1. Christina Webb 1 – 0 Laura Morrissey
2. M Mansbridge 1 – 0 Kate Morrissey
3. Alexandra Roberts 0 – 1 Brittanie Bierton
4. Alexandra McMillan 0 – 1 Katherine Liew

Abbotsleigh (NSW) 3 – 1 Merrimac (QLD)

1. Catherine Lip 1 – 0 Alex Jule
2. Shuyin Tang ½ – ½ Amy Evans
3. Emma Storey 1 – 0 Jessica Layton
4. Eliza Griffiths ½ – ½ Charis Chan

PLC (VIC) 4 – 0 Daramalan (ACT)

1. Sally-Anne Richter 1 – 0 Sophie Heath
2. Renishka Sellayah 1 – 0 Sarah Norfor
3. Leanne Ng 1 – 0 Kirby Stuart
4. Melanie Chang 1 – 0 Sarah Wolf

DRAW FOR ROUND 3

Open Primary

St. Peter’s (SA) 3½ – ½ Telopea (ACT)

1. Thomas Khoo ½ – ½ Justin Chow
2. Charles Du 1 – 0 Etienne Masle-Farquhar
3. Jasper Ball 1 – 0 Sidney Holden
4. Tom Robertson 1 – 0 Harry Thompson

Essex Heights (VIC) 3 – 1 Sydney Grammar (NSW)

1. James Morris 0 – 1 Raymond Song
2. Eugene Schon 1 – 0 William Xu
3. Jamie Carey 1 – 0 Michael Jenkins
4. Udit Thakur 1 – 0 Bob Teoh

Worongary (QLD) 4 – 0 Midland Christian (WA)

1. Sam Grigg 1 – 0 Ashlinne Zoranich
2. Jayden Fisher 1 – 0 Caleb Simmons
3. Sebastian Jule 1 – 0 Ben Edland
4. L Pedersen-Lee 1 – 0 Jesse Smith

Girls Primary

Summer Hill (NSW) 4 – 0 Curtin Moylan (ACT)

1. Yuxi Pan 1 – 0 Amy Frost
2. Lipi Jain 1 – 0 Gala Huang
3. Charmain Zhang 1 – 0 Lucinda Flood
4. Alex Downie 1 – 0 Amy Flood

PLC (VIC) 0 – 4 Curtin Polgar (ACT)

1. Sally Yu 0 – 1 Kayleigh Smith
2. Alison Zhu 0 – 1 Karen Khoo
3. S Ravitharan 0 – 1 Natalie Shadwell
4. A Quach-Yan 0 – 1 Grace Huang

Somerset College (QLD) 3½ – ½ Wilderness (SA)

1. Jessica Kinder 1 – 0 Katerina Flabouris
2. Anthea Page 1 – 0 Megan Meredith
3. Georgina Scott 1 – 0 Katerina Bryant
4. Chanel Gray ½ – ½ Kimba Wong

DRAW FOR ROUND 4

Open Secondary

Somerset College (QLD) 2 – 2 Sydney Boys High (NSW)

1. Phachara Wongwichit ½ – ½ Ronald Yu
2. Toshi Kimura ½ – ½ Ilia Zvedeniouk
3. Chris Page 1 – 0 Jason Cohn
4. Ric Kaspar 0 – 1 Anthony Chau

Scotch College (VIC) 2½ – 1½ St. Peter’s (SA)

1. Sam Chow 1 – 0 James Obst
2. Derek Yu 0 – 1 Prakash Thiyagarajah
3. Daichi Nagao ½ – ½ Ashwin Utturkar
4. Chris Sia 1 – 0 Anthony Khoo

Christchurch (WA) ½ – 3½ Radford College (ACT)

1. Blair Slack-Smith 0 – 1 Gareth Oliver
2. Christopher Scott 0 – 1 Kishore Sreetharan
3. Chester Tulloch ½ – ½ David Jaksa
4. Mark Teoh 0 – 1 Tamzin Oliver

Girls Secondary

Abbotsleigh (NSW) 4 – 0 Somerset College (QLD)

1. Catherine Lip 1 – 0 Christina Webb
2. Shuyin Tang 1 – 0 Margaret Mansbridge
3. Emma Storey 1 – 0 Alexandra Roberts
4. Eliza Griffiths 1 – 0 Alexandra McMillan

Merrimac (QLD) 4 – 0 Daramalan (ACT)

1. Alex Jule 1 – 0 Sophie Heath
2. Amy Evans 1 – 0 Sarah Norfor
3. Jessica Layton 1 – 0 Kirby Stuart
4. Charis Chan 1 – 0 Sarah Wolf

Walford College (SA) 1 – 3 PLC (VIC)

1. Laura Morrissey 0 – 1 Sally-Anne Richter
2. Kate Morrissey 0 – 1 Renishka Sellayah
3. Brittanie Bierton 1 – 0 Leanne Ng
4. Katherine Liew 0 – 1 Melanie Chang

DRAW FOR ROUND 4

Open Primary

Essex Heights (VIC) ½ – 3½ Worongary (QLD)

1. James Morris 0 – 1 Sam Grigg
2. Eugene Schon 0 – 1 Jayden Fisher
3. Jamie Carey 0 – 1 Sebastian Jule
4. Udit Thakur ½ – ½ Lachlan Pedersen-Lee

Sydney Grammar (NSW) 4 – 0 Telopea (ACT)

1. Raymond Song 1 – 0 Justin Chow
2. William Xu 1 – 0 Etienne Masle-Farquhar
3. Michael Jenkins 1 – 0 Sidney Holden
4. Bob Teoh 1 – 0 Harry Thompson

Midland Christian (WA) 0 – 4 St. Peter’s (SA)

1. Ashlinne Zoranich 0 – 1 Thomas Khoo
2. Thomas Edland 0 – 1 Charles Du
3. Ben Edland 0 – 1 Matthew Murdock
4. Jesse Smith 0 – 1 Tom Robertson

Girls Primary

Wilderness (SA) 0 – 4 PLC (VIC)

1. Katerina Flabouris 0 – 1 Sally Yu
2. Megan Meredith 0 – 1 Alison Zhu
3. Katerina Bryant 0 – 1 Sakthi Ravitharan
4. Kimba Wong 0 – 1 Audrey Quach-Yan

Summer Hill (NSW) 2 – 2 Somerset College (QLD)

1. Yuxi Pan 0 – 1 Jessica Kinder
2. Lipi Jain 0 – 1 Anthea Page
3. Charmain Zhang 1 – 0 Georgina Scott
4. Alex Downie 1 – 0 Chanel Gray

Curtin Moylan (ACT) 1 – 3 Curtin Polgar (ACT)

1. Amy Frost 0 – 1 Kayleigh Smith
2. Jacyln Maher 1 – 0 Karen Khoo
3. Lucinda Flood 0 – 1 Natalie Shadwell
4. Amy Flood 0 – 1 Grace Huang

DRAW FOR ROUND 5

Open Secondary

Radford College (ACT) 1½ – 2½ Somerset College (QLD)

1. Gareth Oliver ½ – ½ Phachara Wongwichit
2. Kishore Sreetharan 1 – 0 Toshi Kimura
3. David Jaksa 0 – 1 Chris Page
4. Tamzin Oliver 0 – 1 Steven Cooke

Sydney Boys High (NSW) 2 ½ – 1½ Scotch College (VIC)

1. Ronald Yu 0 – 1 Sam Chow
2. Ilia Zvedeniouk 1 – 0 Derek Yu
3. Jason Cohn 1 – 0 Daichi Nagao
4. Anthony Chau ½ – ½ Chris Sia

St. Peter’s (SA) 2½ – 1½ Christchurch Grammar (WA)

1. James Obst 1 – 0 Blair Slack-Smith
2. P Thiyagarajah 1 – 0 Christopher Scott
3. Ashwin Utturkar ½ – ½ Chester Tulloch
4. K Thiyagarajah 0 – 1 Ernest Tan

Girls Secondary

Daramalan (ACT) 1 – 3 Walford College (SA)

1. Sophie Heath 0 – 1 Laura Morrissey
2. Sarah Norfor 1 – 0 Kate Morrissey
3. Kirby Stuart 0 – 1 Brittanie Bierton
4. Sarah Wolf 0 – 1 Katherine Liew

Somerset College (QLD) 0 – 4 Merrimac (QLD)

1. Christina Webb 0 – 1 Alex Jule
2. M Mansbridge 0 – 1 Amy Evans
3. Alexandra Roberts 0 – 1 Jessica Layton
4. Alexandra McMillan 0 – 1 Charis Chan

PLC (VIC) ½ – 3½ Abbotsleigh (NSW)

1. Sally-Anne Richter 0 – 1 Catherine Lip
2. Renishka Sellayah ½ – ½ Shuyin Tang
3. Leanne Ng 0 – 1 Emma Storey
4. Melanie Chang 0 – 1 Jennifer So

DRAW FOR ROUND 5

Open Primary

St. Peter’s (SA) 1 – 3 Essex Heights (VIC)

1. Thomas Khoo 0 – 1 James Morris
2. Charles Du 0 – 1 Eugene Schon
3. Matthew Murdock 0 – 1 Jamie Carey
4. Jasper Ball 1 – 0 Jerome Lugo

Worongary (QLD) 1½ – 2½ Sydney Grammar (NSW)

1. Sam Grigg 0 – 1 Raymond Song
2. Jayden Fisher ½ – ½ William Xu
3. Sebastian Jule 0 – 1 Michael Jenkins
4. L Pedersen-Lee 1 – 0 Bob Teoh

Telopea (ACT) 3 – 1 Midland Christian (WA)

1. Justin Chow 1 – 0 Ashlinne Zoranich
2. E Masle-Farquhar 1 – 0 Caleb Simmons
3. Sidney Holden 1 – 0 Thomas Edland
4. Harry Thompson 0 – 1 Ben Edland

Girls Primary

Somerset College (QLD) 4 – 0 Curtin Moylan (ACT)

1. Jessica Kinder 1 – 0 Amy Frost
2. Anthea Page 1 – 0 Jacyln Maher
3. Georgina Scott 1 – 0 Gala Huang
4. Chanel Gray 1 – 0 Amy Flood

PLC (VIC) 1 – 3 Summer Hill (NSW)

1. Sally Yu 1 – 0 Yuxi Pan
2. Alison Zhu 0 – 1 Lipi Jain
3. S Ravitharan 0 – 1 Charmain Zhang
4. A Quach-Yan 0 – 1 Alex Downie

Curtin Polgar (ACT) 4 – 0 Wilderness (SA)

1. Kayleigh Smith 1 – 0 Katerina Flabouris
2. Karen Khoo 1 – 0 Megan Meredith
3. Natalie Shadwell 1 – 0 Katerina Bryant
4. Grace Huang 1 – 0 Kimba Wong

jenni
10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Open Secondary:

1st: Sydney Boys 13.5
2nd: Scotch College 13.5
3rd: Radford College 11

Girls Secondary:

1st: Abbotsleigh 17.5
2nd: Merrimac 15.5
3rd: PLC 13

Open Primary:

1st: Worongary 16
2nd: Essex Heights 14.5
3rd: Sydney Grammar 14.5

Girls Primary:

1st: Curtin Polgar 17.5
2nd: Somerset College 13.5
3rd: Summer Hill 13.5

jenni
10-12-2004, 04:49 PM
In spite of tiny hiccups with sandwiches it was a fabulous weekend. Mt Buller is exceptionally beautiful and the views from various windows in the ABOM were fantastic.

many thank-yous are needed.

Mercure Grand Chalet - staff were always helpful and polite and did everything they could to make the weekend a success. They used a 2 way radio to radio sandwich mistakes to the kitchen and get them fixed as soon as possible. All sandwiches were in packets labelled with the fillings and the name of the person, so a huge amount of labour. Afternoon teas were excellent and the BBQ on the Saturday night a great social occasion, as well as good food. There was a fair bit of extra sponsorship from the Mercure for the food.

The hotel itself is very attractive and the breakfast was excellent. I really would recommend it to anyone who is attending the Open or juniors and for whom absolute $ is not an issue.

Charles Zworestine - this is the second tournament Charles and I have worked on together and he is great to work with. Never loses his sense of humour and is always nice to the kids.

George Howard - for being prepared to give me a free hand with the Schools and the money to enable me to do the things I wanted.

Garvin Gray - always eager to help and make everything successful. Did a great job with the DGT boards.

Gary Bekker - for coming to mt Buller to help Garvin sets up the electronic boards.

Gary Wastell - for all the help in getting the lovely wall charts produced.

Sonia Song - all the help with ordering sandwiches on the Saturday

Michael Smith - technical assistance when Charles and I were losing the fight with a glue stick thing. Also for providing balls and bats for the Saturday night (sent up by Libby)

David Cordover - writing out the pairing info for me.

Daniella Nutu-Gajic - writing scores up for the first round

Caroline Norfor, Marge Lip and Rowena Morris - plenty of moral support.

Cathy Rogers and many others from NSW who helped pack up the clocks and chess sets.

arosar
11-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Don't forget to thank God.

AR

jenni
11-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Don't forget to thank God.

AR

I do that constantly.

jenni
12-12-2004, 11:18 PM
ratings debate has been moved to the ratings arena.

Please post there. :)

Garvinator
12-12-2004, 11:20 PM
ratings debate has been moved to the ratings arena.

Please post there. :)
thank you :clap: :clap: can you also delete my astc rating thread too please as it is unnecessary now.

Alan Shore
12-12-2004, 11:27 PM
What ratings debate????

I'm rather confuzzled by the moderation in this case :confused:

Garvinator
12-12-2004, 11:28 PM
What ratings debate????

I'm rather confuzzled by the moderation in this case :confused:
we are now in the ratings area. it started here and I asked for it to be moved so it didnt detract from a nice warm thread here. That thread will descend into trash as usual.