PDA

View Full Version : Is windows explorer 9 a worthy upgrade :S

littlesprout85
07-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Does anyone here at chesschats recommend upgrading to window exploer 9 :?

Sprout also is wondering how much better is explorer 9 compared to explorer 8 :?

Plz somebody help sproutums gain valuble insight into this new tech ordeal-

Thanks,

Sprout85 =)

Desmond
07-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Sprout also is wondering how much better is explorer 9 compared to explorer 8 :?

Thanks,

Sprout85 =)
Yes it's better than IE8. Not that that's saying much.

Keong Ang
08-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks,

Sprout85 =)

Why bother?
Firefox is the way to go. :owned:

Garvinator
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
The only thing IE9 is better than is IE8.

Denis_Jessop
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Being a Mac user, I don't give a damn. But the other day I came across a browser called Macintosh Explorer which seems to be a Mac copy of IE. It was awful and, as it was free, I quickly threw it away.

DJ

littlesprout85
09-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Ummmm, Anybody got ie9 right now up in chesschats that can give a comment on how its functioning so far. Also sproutums would like to know if its really an upgrade from ie8. The hype rite now is that ie9 is awsome for windows vista users.:confused:

-Sprout85 =)

Ian Murray
10-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Ummmm, Anybody got ie9 right now up in chesschats that can give a comment on how its functioning so far. Also sproutums would like to know if its really an upgrade from ie8. The hype rite now is that ie9 is awsome for windows vista users.:confused:

-Sprout85 =)
Hey Spurtz

Comparison IE9 vs FF4 at http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/ie9/ie9_vs_fx4.html

Desmond
10-04-2011, 07:13 AM

-Sprout85 =)
OK I'm writing this for the second time. I lost the first one because I decided to screw around with the browser compatibility settings while I had an unsaved reply typed out, and lost it. Don't try this at home. :lol:

I'm currently running IE9 on Windows 7, so I imagine Vista would be pretty similar experience.

I've got 2 minor "problems" browsing chesschat through IE9. Neither is a deal breaker, but this is what I've found.

First. I normally browse the forum using the New Posts feature and then browse a thread by going to the first new post in that thread, i.e. the one after the last post I read. IE9 isn't currently handling that properly. Instead of taking me to the first new post, it takes me to an older post. This isn't a major problem as I can just scroll down to where I was up to or go to the next page, but if it continues over time in fast-moving threads it will become annoying. I think this happened once before for me on a new browser, can't remember that one it was.

Second. The PGN viewer is a bit screwy. It still works fine but just looks a bit out of whack. There is a scroll bar when there shouldn't be and the buttons are a little bigger than they should be. Again, not a big deal.

There is a compatibility setting built in to IE9 which is really simple to use. So if you do have problems with a particular webpage, you can always try that.

Trahald
12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Well said Garvinator, IE9 is a definite improvement over IE8, but why would you bother? I upgraded to IE9 for laughs, but wouldn't use it sober.

FF4 is light years ahead of IE9, I've got little doubt that Opera, Chrome and even Safari for Windows are as well. At least they were last time I used them.

littlesprout85
13-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Sprout would like to Thanks everyone who chimmed inz on meh lil thread here for all the warm advice on this topic. Special thanks to ggrays,boris & murrays for the links & tidbits ;)

Will be upgrading some of meh op's to ie9 and other like dino will just have to struggle to maintain ie7 lol :eek:

-Sprout85 =)

Adamski
13-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I am another Mozilla Firefox fan but just for fun I will upgarde my IE8 to IE9 to see what it is like.

littlesprout85
17-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Right onz ,

Thats the spirit there Adamski's - Take one for the team :eek:

Plz write back soon and let sproutums know how the experience was-is-going to be for Yea ;)

-Sprout85 =)

Adamski
17-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Actually, so far it is not too bad. A definite improvement on IE8, though that wouldn't be hard! I still prefer Firefox but the gap has definitely shrunk.

littlesprout85
03-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Right onz -

Sprout went for it and took the upgrade on meh alien laptop:owned:

Just was looking for a lil info on if it was full of garbage or not. Seems to took the dl all right but havent been on the net since with da beast. WI-FI hotspots in the arizona desert are few and far between :S

Thanks for the incouragement on the subject Adamski's. Ummmm but there is a few good reasons to go to IE9 Trahalds for da sprout. One is the auto updates & another reason is that meh antivirus works automatically on IE and not mozilla or firefox.

-Sprout85 =)

Desmond
20-05-2011, 06:23 AM
I've got 2 minor "problems" browsing chesschat through IE9. Neither is a deal breaker, but this is what I've found.

First. I normally browse the forum using the New Posts feature and then browse a thread by going to the first new post in that thread, i.e. the one after the last post I read. IE9 isn't currently handling that properly. Instead of taking me to the first new post, it takes me to an older post. This isn't a major problem as I can just scroll down to where I was up to or go to the next page, but if it continues over time in fast-moving threads it will become annoying. I think this happened once before for me on a new browser, can't remember that one it was.This seems to have sorted itself out now.

Adamski
20-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes. I don't have those problems. I am finding myself increasingly using I E9 so I think sprouty made the right decision in upgrading.