PDA

View Full Version : Youngest ACF officebearers + ACF formation (sf What's missing ...)

lost
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
To the ACF committee,

Who has been the youngest member in the history of the ACF to serve on the committee of the Australian chess Federation?

Just interested and curious, that's all.

lost

ER
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
To the ACF committee,

Who has been the youngest member in the history of the ACF to serve on the committee of the Australian chess Federation?

Just interested and curious, that's all.

lost

Hmmm I am not so sure who has been, but would the pictured very popular young gentleman be a part of the ACF team sooner rather than later?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Noble%20Park%20Chess%20Club/100_2633-1.jpg

lost
03-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Hmmm I am not so sure who has been, but would the pictured very popular young gentleman be a part of the ACF team sooner rather than later?

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/Noble%20Park%20Chess%20Club/100_2633-1.jpg

JaK,

I am just curious that's all. Would I be part of the ACF team. Not just yet but perhaps in 5-10 years time I may consider.

lost

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't know the answer and I'm not sure who might have sufficient records. I was 35 when first elected to the exec but I'm sure there have been much younger and suspect there would be several who were in their 20s. I think Nathan Stirling was younger than 35 when he was elected by National Conference and then immediately rolled by Council (or so the story goes - not sure exactly how that all happened.) [NB: See Denis's post below.]

lost
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't know the answer and I'm not sure who might have sufficient records. I was 35 when first elected to the exec but I'm sure there have been much younger and suspect there would be several who were in their 20s. I think Nathan Stirling was younger than 35 when he was elected by National Conference and then immediately rolled by Council (or so the story goes - not sure exactly how that all happened.)

Thanks Kevin for you answer.

lost

ER
03-04-2011, 10:24 PM
JaK,

I am just curious that's all. Would I be part of the ACF team. Not just yet but perhaps in 5-10 years time I may consider.

lost

lol was just looking for an excuse to publish your photo! :) :lol:

Denis_Jessop
03-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't know the answer and I'm not sure who might have sufficient records. I was 35 when first elected to the exec but I'm sure there have been much younger and suspect there would be several who were in their 20s. I think Nathan Stirling was younger than 35 when he was elected by National Conference and then immediately rolled by Council (or so the story goes - not sure exactly how that all happened.)

Nathan (then known as John) wasn't immediately rolled. He was President for some time and obtained a room at Sports House (part of an old Primary School) in Canberra for meetings. He chaired several meetings in Canberra - I was the ACTCA delegate and Gary Wastell used to attend plus others whose names I don't recall though I think Phil Viner was one. Susequently he was deposed and replaced by John Purdy. This was in the early 1980s.

I don't know the ages of recent Executive members but I'd be surprised if the founders did not qualify. The ACF was established in 1922 on the initiative of several including Cecil Purdy (born 27 March 1906) and Gary Koshnitsky (born 6 October 1907) making them 26 and 25 yo respectively in the year of its formation. Purdy was the first Secretary. I think there was a Treasurer but there was no President until the 1970s.

DJ

antichrist
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
or 15 or 16 years old, or is something else wrongly dated

Denis_Jessop
03-04-2011, 11:22 PM
or 15 or 16 years old, or is something else wrongly dated

That's interesting. The birth dates came from Wikipedia, the ACF founding date from memory (based on an article I read) but I'm sure it's right - 2 years before FIDE was formed. The bad maths was mine. I'll look further into this and report progress on the next day of sitting.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
I can confirm the ACF existed in 1924 as a meeting held by it was discussed by Edwin Ingledew at the inaugural Chess Association of Tasmania (later TCA) meeting in that year. So the formation date of 1922 seems correct.

lost
04-04-2011, 12:16 AM
lol was just looking for an excuse to publish your photo! :) :lol:

Well that is a good enough excuse JaK.

lost

ChessGuru
04-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I was the VCA delegate on the ACF council when I was about 15 or 16. I might have held other roles as well...I can't recall specifics.

antichrist
04-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I was the VCA delegate on the ACF council when I was about 15 or 16. I might have held other roles as well...I can't recall specifics.

that was when you were in their good books

Kevin Bonham
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
lost uses the word "committee" but I am unsure whether he means Executive or Council.

lost
04-04-2011, 10:48 AM
lost uses the word "committee" but I am unsure whether he means Executive or Council.

Hi Kevin,

I refer to both the Executive and the Council.

lost

Denis_Jessop
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
I can confirm the ACF existed in 1924 as a meeting held by it was discussed by Edwin Ingledew at the inaugural Chess Association of Tasmania (later TCA) meeting in that year. So the formation date of 1922 seems correct.

The dates are right - both those of Purdy and Kosh's birth and 1922 as the year the ACF was established. I'm trying to find Cecil's article about this. My guess is that he and Kosh were not in it from the beginning.

DJ

ER
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
1932-1933 G. Koshnitsky Sydney
1934-1935 C.J.S. Purdy Melbourne

It might have been in the 30s when they both got involved in administration!

ChessGuru
04-04-2011, 11:01 PM
that was when you were in their good books
Perhaps they were hoping I could be lured onto the dark side. :)

I do recall someone telling me; "The inertia is strong with you...come, sit on the council for many years and let moss grow on your feet."

lost
05-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for there answers.

lost

ER
05-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for there answers.

lost

Hold on chief, we haven't finished yet! How old was Michael when he got involved with ACF?

MichaelBaron
05-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Hold on chief, we haven't finished yet! How old was Michael when he got involved with ACF?
Too young and naive! ...

Garvinator
05-04-2011, 05:21 PM
So have any final conclusions been reached?

MichaelBaron
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, join a pension and coffin scheme when joinging ACF coz you will probably be there until your passing

(I will delete later tonigt)

And this is one more similarity between the ACF and the Chinese and Soviet communist parties :)

Desmond
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM

What's in the baggy? Dodgy.

(just kidding) :lol:

lost
05-04-2011, 10:31 PM

It was a wristband as such. Nothing dodgy can come from me as I have plans for the future that would stop me achieving if I was up to mischief.

lost

ER
05-04-2011, 10:58 PM

I testify to Lost's defence! :) Actually, except the yummy treats after the presentation, Noble Park Chess Club's people gave us nice wristbands and keyring chess pieces! :) I got a nice (what else?) Knight!

Here is the evidence!

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_2772.jpg

lost
05-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I testify to Lost's defence! :) Actually, except the yummy treats after the presentation, Noble Park Chess Club's people gave us nice wristbands and keyring chess pieces! :) I got a nice (what else?) Knight!

Here is the evidence!

Thanks JaK. All I can say is I have a huge year ahead me and it will benefit a lot of people for the future.

lost

Z&MLoh
06-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Here is the evidence!

The wristbands and key chains were kindly donated by Pearl Yung and Northern Star Chess. Noble Park Chess Club is grateful for her support. :clap:

Mike

ER
06-04-2011, 11:29 PM
The wristbands and key chains were kindly donated by Pearl Yung and Northern Star Chess. Noble Park Chess Club is grateful for her support. :clap:

Mike

Another first for Pearl and Northern Star Chess! :clap:
Thanks Michael for letting us know about this! :)

lost
08-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Another first for Pearl and Northern Star Chess! :clap:
Thanks Michael for letting us know about this! :)

Getting back to the topic of youngest ACF officebearers, I think it would be great of we could get some young people involved at a National level. It will be fantastic for the sport.

Tell us who you would like to see at the National level of administration?

lost

Watto
08-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Getting back to the topic of youngest ACF officebearers, I think it would be great of we could get some young people involved at a National level. It will be fantastic for the sport.

Tell us who you would like to see at the National level of administration?

lost
I'd like to see people, regardless of age, who are competent, conscientious, have a love of chess and a desire to keep improving the way things are run (People who fit the latter two criteria but are neither efficient nor capable administrators shouldn't get to the national level of administration in my opinion although they can be very helpful at club level.)
If a few young people have the time and fit these criteria, so that we have a mix of ages, that would be good but finding young people with time who are also capable is difficult.

lost
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I'd like to see people, regardless of age, who are competent, conscientious, have a love of chess and a desire to keep improving the way things are run (People who fit the latter two criteria but are neither efficient nor capable administrators shouldn't get to the national level of administration in my opinion although they can be very helpful at club level.)
If a few young people have the time and fit these criteria, so that we have a mix of ages, that would be good but finding young people with time who are also capable is difficult.

Whoever has a passion for chess should be in the right role on the provisio that they fit the criteria of the position that they are applying for.

lost

Ian Murray
08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Whoever has a passion for chess should be in the right role on the provisio that they fit the criteria of the position that they are applying for.

lost
So, lost, how about yourself?

Garvinator
08-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Something does not quite seem right with this sentence? :lol:

lost
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM

There is every chance, but when, is the key question Ian.

lost

Thunderspirit
15-04-2011, 11:48 PM
I know the thread is youngest on ACF, but at 17 I was the youngest and only junior to be Acting President of the ACTCA in 1997. I was VP for the entire year, until Mos Ali took compasionate leave.

ER
16-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I know the thread is youngest on ACF, but at 17 I was the youngest and only junior to be Acting President of the ACTCA in 1997. I was VP for the entire year, until Mos Ali took compasionate leave.

No immodesty at all! :clap:
After all you guys run Australian Chess anyway! :P

Denis_Jessop
16-04-2011, 01:44 PM
No immodesty at all! :clap:
After all you guys run Australian Chess anyway! :P

Not really. Occasionally we let the odd Victorian do a bit :D :D :lol:

DJ

ER
16-04-2011, 10:57 PM

DJ

Only when NSW doesn't look! :P

BTW you have

1) the strongest tournament in Australia
2) the best female administrators (I won't name names but you know who they are! :owned:) in Australia
3) Nestor the Wise (the Homeric one) I won't name names here either! :P :owned:

what else do you want?

lost
17-04-2011, 01:54 AM

BTW you have

2) the best female administrators (I won't name names but you know who they are! :owned:) in Australia

what else do you want?

Speaking of the ACT, I will be floating around there next week as well.

lost

ER
17-04-2011, 03:27 AM
good on ya son, enjoy yourself!

lost
17-04-2011, 03:35 PM
good on ya son, enjoy yourself!

I will enjoy myself. Be floating around there to get some ideas and preparation for Iran JaK and catching up with friends as well.

lost

Denis_Jessop
17-04-2011, 10:19 PM

BTW you have

what else do you want?

Point (2) is, I fear, almost history as one of them has permanently retired and the other is sort of semi-retired :(

Point (3) has me foxed :doh:

DJ

Basil
18-04-2011, 09:41 AM

DJ
That doesn't narrow the field down at all! ;)

Hobbes
04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
All I can say is I have a huge year ahead me and it will benefit a lot of people for the future.

Did anyone else notice - this post was less than a month before the successful operation to take out Osama Bin Laden.

Congratulations lost, fantastic job!

Garrett
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
That doesn't narrow the field down at all! ;)
:D :D

lost
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Did anyone else notice - this post was less than a month before the successful operation to take out Osama Bin Laden.

Congratulations lost, fantastic job!

Thanks Hobbes.

lost