PDA

View Full Version : George Trundle R.I.P

CivicChessMan
02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
George Trundle sadly passed away on the evening of March 29th, aged 93. George was a vice-patron of the New Zealand Chess Federation and a dedicated chess enthusiast. George had a passion for chess, financially supporting many chess events over the years including the annual "George Trundle Masters" held during July in Auckland. George first learnt chess as a POW during the Second World War and continued to play throughout the rest of his life. He was a true gentleman and will be sadly missed by all those who knew him. (from NZ Chess website)

LNah
02-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Link to his obituary and messages (http://j.mp/dEftht) published in the NZ Herald on 1 April 2011.

Capablanca-Fan
02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree with what CCM quoted. George was a great guy, and always a pleasure to play in the same tournament with.

Tony Dowden
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I well remember George encouraging me when I was 14 or 15 years old and playing in my first North Island Championship. I had been playing the late Tom van Dijk from Nelson and had fought back from an awful position. I counter-attacked - saccing two pieces for several pawns - and eventually he couldn't stop me from queening. After the game George sought me out and was very enthusiatic in his encouragement. Although several people had been crowding around watching my game, George was the only person I remember talking to me about it.

To my mind this is the kind of thing that set him apart in chess circles and contributed to his popularity. He was a generous hearted person who had known hardship earlier in life and he understood the power of an encouraging word. As others have said he was the last of the 'originals' at the Auckland Chess Centre. RIP George

Capablanca-Fan
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes, what Tony said. He was most encouraging when I was younger as well. He had interesting things to say about his POW experience, which was certainly nothing like Hogan's Heroes.