PDA

View Full Version : US Chess Fed rating compared to ACF rating for pairings

Jeff Dyer
11-02-2011, 03:06 PM
G'day All,

I have a player entering our tournament, he has a US rating of about 1750 and that has not been updated in about 8 years , provisional ACF rating should I give him.

Cheers,
Jeff
:)
Sorry about starting a new thread, I could not find an old one to suit.

Max Illingworth
11-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I would recommend giving him a rating of 1650. Usually a player's USCF rating is 100-150 points higher than their FIDE.

lost
11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
G'day All,

I have a player entering our tournament, he has a US rating of about 1750 and that has not been updated in about 8 years , provisional ACF rating should I give him.

Cheers,
Jeff

Does he have a FIDE rating? If he does use that!!

lost

Basil
11-02-2011, 08:10 PM
G'day All,

Cheers,
Jeff
Convert US rating to ACF and then ask the anti-ACF whining schleps to advise you and publish their answers here. Should be fascinating reading.

Garvinator
11-02-2011, 08:23 PM
G'day All,

I have a player entering our tournament, he has a US rating of about 1750 and that has not been updated in about 8 years , provisional ACF rating should I give him.If it is just a one division swiss, then I usually just stick them in with whatever rating I can find for them.

So if 1750 US is the best you can find, then use that. If he is over-rated, then at least he will be in higher rating groups and will not deprive accurately rated people with a potential prize.

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I also find USCF ratings somewhat inflated.

Probably a player whose rating is ported in from another system should be ineligible for ratings prizes anyway. An exception could be made for FIDE ratings since a FIDE rating is used to seed an ACF rating for a player who doesn't already have one.

Ian Murray
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
The rule-of-thumb used to be ACF = USCF - 200

Jeff Dyer
14-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the response, quite varied.

I have now looked him up on the USCF website.

http://main.uschess.org/assets/msa_joomla/MbrDtlMain.php?12716872

It appears that what ever we think of the US ratings VS ours won't matter too much. His rating is based on 16 games, 11 of them in Dec 1997, and 5 of them in June 2010 (with a 250 point jump). So even by US standards his rating is not reliable.

I still have a bit of time to think about how I'll treat his entry. At the moment I have him down as 1600, but I'm think of revising this back up towards his USCF rating.

Cheers

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Given the data there I would put him in at his current USCF rating; he may even be stronger than that.