PDA

View Full Version : Asian Cities Teams Championship 2011

Brian_Jones
10-02-2011, 02:15 PM
The Asian Cities Teams is an event that has been on the FIDE Calendar for some time but I have not seen details until now.

It clashes with the Doeberl and Sydney International but is a top level event with free accommodation for one team per Federation.

It would be good for a young team rated FIDE 2000-2500 to gain expererience against the top Asian GM teams.

The acrobat file exceeds the attachment limit on this board at 209kb. Can anybody provide these details? The deadline for entries is 20 February 2011.

Kevin, why has this event not been given publicity by ACF?

Stop Press: Details at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html

Kevin Bonham
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Kevin, why has this event not been given publicity by ACF?

The first question I would ask there is whether anyone has sent the ACF any details. I'll get onto it.

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Not enough time for any kind of formal selection process before the entry deadline but if anyone has a prospective team and is interested in being approved send me an email at k_bonham@tassie.net.au or a PM here as it is highly likely that at this late stage if anyone is interested they would be approved by the ACF Executive.

Brian_Jones
16-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Dear Kevin

I am organising a SYDNEY team to play in the Asian Cities Teams in Jakarta 21-29 April 2011.

Please would you confirm our ACF selection.

Please also send a “Confirmation of Participation” to the Organisers before 20 February 2011.

I will send a list of team members later (when known!)

Best wishes

Brian Jones

Erik
17-02-2011, 08:54 AM
If you do this again in future years and "Sydney" is defined loosely to include Melbourne, consider me a definite maybe :)

Brian_Jones
17-02-2011, 08:58 AM
If you do this again in future years and "Sydney" is defined loosely to include Melbourne, consider me a definite maybe :)
You can be our guest player this time if you want to - just confirm your availability!

Garvinator
17-02-2011, 10:24 AM
In future years the team could be renamed to Australia.

MichaelBaron
17-02-2011, 12:36 PM
In future years the team could be renamed to Australia.
I think the tournament is called Asian Cities, not Asian countries :)

Garvinator
17-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I think the tournament is called Asian Cities, not Asian countries :)We are not Asia anything as we are in the Oceania zone, so we can name ourselves whatever we want :lol:

peter_parr
17-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I think the tournament is called Asian Cities, not Asian countries :)

Michael is correct.

When I captained the Sydney team and played for the Sydney team in the

Asian Cities Teams Championship the players representing Sydney were residents of Sydney and were selected by proper process.

The selected Sydney team was approved by the NSWCA and by the ACF.
If Sydney is to send a team surely the correct process is to send the strongest available players by proper selection from players resident in Sydney.

Have the current NSW State Champion and current City of Sydney Champion been contacted for consideration for selection?

Surely any FIDE or ACF official would ensure that in the spirit of the Asian Cities that common sense applies.

Indonesia generously sponsor the event and provide board and accommodation.

Australia should ensure it acts correctly in the selection of a Sydney team or a team from another city.

Regulation for the Asian Cities Championship states..

D.V.02. Asian Cities Championship (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?view=article&id=105)

“Each member federation shall have the right to send one team representing one city.”

Kevin Bonham
20-02-2011, 03:50 PM
The ACF Executive has appointed International Organiser Brian Jones to assemble a Sydney team for this event, with Brian to supply names of players to us for approval when determined. Anyone interested in going should therefore contact Brian. I have advised Brian that in the unlikely case of there being more people interested than places to fill, the ACF quick selection method (average of ACF/FIDE ratings) is an appropriate selection method in the circumstances.

Kevin Bonham
ACF Selections Director

Brian_Jones
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
The SYDNEY team for the Asian Cities in Jakarta 21-29 April 2011 is as follows:

1. IM Gary Lane 2366
2. FM Tim Reilly 2271
3. FM Lee Jones 2109
4. FM Brian Jones 2045
5. Reserve Vacant
6. Captain Vacant

Official website at http://www.jakartaasianchess.com/page/index.html

Team SINGAPORE at http://www.singaporechess.org.sg/new/?p=7427

Denis_Jessop
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Man 1: I say, I say, I say, my wife has gone on holiday to Indonesia

Man 2: Your wife has gone on holiday to Indonesia? Jakarta?

Man 1: No; she flew by Qantas.

:wall: :whistle: :doh:

DJ

Brian_Jones
06-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Shi Jiazhuang City from China convincingly won the Dubai Cup

The 17th Asian Cities Championship was held from 22nd to 28th April in Kartika Chandra, Jakarta, Indonesia. 24 teams from 17 countries competed, with 18 Grandmasters and many titled players attending the event. The tournament format was 9-round Swiss and the prize fund was US$ 24000.

Shi Jiazhuang City from China convincingly won first place by winning all nine matches. Sheikh Sultan Bin Khalifa Al-Nehayan, Asian Chess Federation President, presented the champions with the trophy.

GM Li Chao B was the top player with 8/9 and a TPR of 2763.