PDA

View Full Version : Asian Continental Championships, Mashad Iran, May 1-10 (ACF Selections)

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
This is a call for expressions of interest from players potentially interested in representing Australia at the Asian Contenental Championships scheduled to be held in Mashad, Iran, May 1-10.

Australia is entitled to one official representative in the Open division and one official representative in the Women's division who will receive free board and lodging. Players shall bear their own travel expenses. For entry form and regulations see http://www.asia-chess.com/main/2011/asianchregs2011.pdf .

Any Australian player wishing to apply for selection as Australia's nominated representative should email me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au) expressing interest. The deadline for expressions of interest is Sunday 27 February. Owing to the limited time frame we would appreciate expressions of interest only from players who seriously intend to compete if selected.

Players who have not applied to represent Australia in an adult event before must supply the following details:

5.4.1 Full Name

5.4.2 Address

5.4.3 Email address

5.4.4 Fax (if applicable)

5.4.5 Phone number

5.4.6 Nationality

5.4.7 Date of Birth

5.4.8 FIDE Rating

5.4.9 ACF Rating

5.4.10 FIDE Titles held

5.4.11 Current ACF Titles held

Players who have applied before do not need to supply these details but must ensure that they advise of any recent change of details, especially of address, email address and phone number.

In the event that selections are deemed necessary they will be conducted by the quick selection method of average of ACF and FIDE rating. March 2011 ratings will be used for both systems subject to their timely release.

Please contact the organisers using the details given in the PDF linked to above for any questions concerning the event.

Note re eligibility: players who have already qualified for the next World Cup or Womens World Championship are not eligible to officially represent Australia at this event. On my reading this currently affects only GM Zhao, and will affect the winner of the playoff match between IM Berezina and WFM (WIM-elect) Guo once that match has been completed.

Other fine print:The ACF reserves the right to extend the call for expressions of interest for either or both sections, whether or not expressions of interest have been received. Applicants are required to retain a copy of their email expressing an interest in selection. If an email has not been acknowledged within seven days please call 0421 428 775.

Kevin Bonham
Australian Chess Federation (ACF) Selections Director

ER
06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
... and will affect the winner of the playoff match between IM Berezina and WFM (WIM-elect) Guo once that match has been completed.
Do the organisers specify if either Ms Berezina or Ms Guo have to be clad in burgas or will get away with just the hijab during their stay in Iran? :P

lost
06-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Do the organisers specify if either Ms Berezina or Ms Guo have to be clad in burgas or will get away with just the hijab during their stay in Iran? :P

Must wear the hijab according to Islamic law JaK. Men must also wear long sleeve shirts as well. Having looked at the law of Iran, both things mentioned above are regarded as a serious offence.

lost

Denis_Jessop
07-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Mon dieu! Is the play-off in Iran :)

DJ

lost
10-02-2011, 12:01 AM
This will be a strong tournament for anyone who gets represented for Australia.

Is it possible to have a list of applicants if this is possible?

lost

Kevin Bonham
10-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I will post a list of applicants when applications close. The only tournament for which I post lists of applicants while applications are open is the Olympiad, because that assists with fundraising.

ER
10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Mon dieu! Is the play-off in Iran :)

DJ

You better capitalise Dieu in your Iran references! ;)

lost
27-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I will post a list of applicants when applications close. The only tournament for which I post lists of applicants while applications are open is the Olympiad, because that assists with fundraising.

As it is officially gone past 12AM and its the 28.2.2011, is it possible now to list the candidates for selection at all Kevin?

lost

Kevin Bonham
27-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Yep, expressions of interest for the Open section were received from:

IM George Xie
Jamie Kenmure

...who I expect will be ranked in that order by the quick selections method when the new rating lists are released in the next few days.

No expressions of interest for the Womens section have been received; any female player interested in representing Australia should contact me.

lost
27-02-2011, 11:48 PM

IM George Xie
Jamie Kenmure

...who I expect will be ranked in that order by the quick selections method when the new rating lists are released in the next few days.

No expressions of interest for the Womens section have been received; any female player interested in representing Australia should contact me.

Kevin,

I can even do selection very easily and it will be George Xie 100%. I wish George all the best in the tournament for sure.

lost

MichaelBaron
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM

IM George Xie
Jamie Kenmure

:)

Kevin Bonham
03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
George Xie clarifies that his expression of interest wasn't a formal expression of interest as such (my fault for specifying an informal application procedure!) and that now he has a clash with another event (the SIO).

Jamie Kenmure is therefore Australia's representative for this event should he wish to go.

Kevin Bonham
ACF Selections Director

Brian_Jones
07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Website at http://ac2011.ircf.ir/

Players list at http://ac2011.ircf.ir/Participants.asp

Note Regulation 16

To Change the Face of Chess Competition more as an Official Sport Event, all Players should use the official Uniform or Shirts with Logo of their Federation, National Olympic Committee or at least their National Flag!

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Jamie has advised that unfortunately at short notice he has become unable to participate.

lost
29-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Jamie has advised that unfortunately at short notice he has become unable to participate.

This is not because I did not want to participate but due to an illness that has restricted me from leaving the country. I hope that the chess community understands this and to let everyone know, I am really sad and upset that I couldn't go to represent this nation, the nation that has good chess talent.

lost