PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar Masters

Oepty
02-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Alex Wohl is playing in the Gibraltar Masters and having quite a good tournament on 5/8, including draws against GMs Buhmann and Cabrera in the last two rounds. Tonight he is matched up against Viktor Korchnoi. Korchnoi, at 79, is having an excellent tournament including beating Fabiano Caruana, 2721, in the second round.
http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/gib2011/index.html

Scott

lost
02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Alex Wohl is playing in the Gibraltar Masters and having quite a good tournament on 5/8, including draws against GMs Buhmann and Cabrera in the last two rounds. Tonight he is matched up against Viktor Korchnoi. Korchnoi, at 79, is having an excellent tournament including beating Fabiano Caruana, 2721, in the second round.
http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/gib2011/index.html

Scott

Also don't forget that WFM Vaness Reid is also playing in the tournament as well.

lost

Max Illingworth
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Also don't forget that WFM Vaness Reid is also playing in the tournament as well.

lost

Vaness is currently on 2/8 in the Masters section. She scored two good draws against the higher-rated players Bert Henderikse (2058) and Karl Lundback (1969).

Kevin Bonham
02-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Alex Wohl is playing in the Gibraltar Masters and having quite a good tournament on 5/8, including draws against GMs Buhmann and Cabrera in the last two rounds.

This is good news. For a while he was being bounced all over the place by the pairings, he lost to a couple of GMs and beat four players rated 300+ points below him. The Korchnoi game should be of interest. Korchnoi is undefeated with six draws; after beating Caruana he then drew with GMs Akobian, Bologan, Sandipan and Sasikirin - all of whom are pretty handy customers.

Vaness is on 2/8 and has mostly played players rated in the high 1900s and 2000s, drawing with a couple and losing to the rest. She had one win over a much lower rated player and gets another lower rated player in the final round.

Oepty
02-02-2011, 11:50 PM
This is good news. For a while he was being bounced all over the place by the pairings, he lost to a couple of GMs and beat four players rated 300+ points below him. The Korchnoi game should be of interest. Korchnoi is undefeated with six draws; after beating Caruana he then drew with GMs Akobian, Bologan, Sandipan and Sasikirin - all of whom are pretty handy customers.

Vaness is on 2/8 and has mostly played players rated in the high 1900s and 2000s, drawing with a couple and losing to the rest. She had one win over a much lower rated player and gets another lower rated player in the final round.

It is a 10 round tournament so there is one more round after tonight
Scott

Kevin Bonham
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
It is a 10 round tournament so there is one more round after tonight
Scott

Thanks; I wrongly assumed it must be nine!

Even Alex couldn't stop Korchnoi; he plays a 2181 rated player tonight. Vaness won and has white against a 1906 rated player.

Tony Dowden
03-02-2011, 02:01 PM
... Even Alex couldn't stop Korchnoi ... Actually, I was hoping he'd win so I could tell my grandchildren that I once beat Wohl (NZ Ch'p Wanganui, 2003) who beat Korchnoi (but didn't!) and who in turn beat Kasparov (Rd 1 of their 1984 match) as well as Fischer, Tal (several times), Karpov, Spassky, etc, etc ;)

:hmm: Maybe Wohl has beaten some other notable player? Didn't he pull off a brilliancy against someone like Gufeld?

Oepty
03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Actually, I was hoping he'd win so I could tell my grandchildren that I once beat Wohl (NZ Ch'p Wanganui, 2003) who beat Korchnoi (but didn't!) and who in turn beat Kasparov (Rd 1 of their 1984 match) as well as Fischer, Tal (several times), Karpov, Spassky, etc, etc ;)

:hmm: Maybe Wohl has beaten some other notable player? Didn't he pull off a brilliancy against someone like Gufeld?

I think you are remembering his win against Aivars Gipslis.
Scott

Oepty
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
The last round of the tournament starts earlier, 9PM in the eastern states. There is live commentary video by GM Simon Williams.
Scott

MichaelBaron
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Victor the Terrible is still playing well! :clap: I think Alex has to wait another 7-8 years before he can beat him :)

Tony Dowden
03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I think you are remembering his win against Aivars Gipslis.
Scott

Yes, that's it! An intuitive sacrifice leading to a king chase and ending up with mate with queen and bishop.

Tony Dowden
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
... Korchnoi is undefeated with six draws; after beating Caruana he then drew with GMs Akobian, Bologan, Sandipan and Sasikirin - all of whom are pretty handy customers ...

Good to see Nigel Short playing confidently again after looking out of his depth in the London Classic. It will be interesting to see if Chucky can keep his nose in front of Short or not.

And good luck to Vaness and Alex in the last round.

Kevin Bonham
03-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Korchnoi finally defeated by Vallejo in the final round.

Short has won; at present Ivanchuk is winning but in time trouble.

[EDIT: Ivanchuk wins game and tournament.]

Max Illingworth
03-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Are you sure Short won? According to the live broadcast the game is still in progress, and after 39...Re3 the endgame appears to be a draw. Perhaps Bologan lost on time?

Edit: 40.Rc6 Kd7 was played, therefore Short's game is still going.

Kevin Bonham
04-02-2011, 09:44 AM
It must have been Short's previous round game I was looking at on playchess by mistake. However Short did eventually win to finish half a point behind Ivanchuk.

Wohl won his last game and finished on 6. Vaness drew hers and finished on 3.5. Both performed roughly as expected by rating overall.

Max Illingworth
04-02-2011, 01:55 PM
The tournament was also a success for the ladies. Salome Melia and Nadezhda Kosintseva attained GM norms, both with draws with Black in the last round against higher-rated opposition.

Kevin Bonham
06-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Wohl's blog at http://doubleroo.blogspot.com has some funny stuff.

Alex's 10th round opponent was stupid enough to tell Alex before the game that he (the opponent) was on for an IM norm if he won! What an idiot! Alex writes:

Did he think I was Santa? Anyway now that I knew that he was obliged to go Nuts I knew that I did not need to. His attempt was quite sad.

Which just about cancelled out round 9 when Korchnoi rubbed it in to Alex after the game by telling him "Against some people you should not play the Kings Indian" in both German and (to make sure Alex had understood it) in English.