PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Rookies Shield Round 1- 20 Feb 2011

SHump
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
We are going to have an exciting series of one-day chess events for Rookies (rated under 1700) in 2011. The link http://hamiltonchess.weebly.com/rookies-shield.html provides details.

We are attracting many juniors to these events, many that have not played in chess tournaments before. Do not be worried if you have not played in tournaments before - we make sure everyone understands what is required. The events are held between 11am and 4.30pm on five separate Sundays, about 6 weeks apart. All events will be held in our new Hamilton Chess Centre, located near to the Waikato museum and Hamilton CBD (with plenty of off street parking).

The daily entry fee is just $10 ($15 for non-member adults), for 7 games of chess on that day, that includes a lunch break. Each day is treated as a separate tournament, but there will be additional prizes for the overall cumulative score winners from all 5 events.

The first Rookies Shield event is coming up on 20th February. There will be cash prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd open, and best adult, best U18, U16, U14, U12, U10, U8, highest scoring girl and encouragement awards.

Please register online (http://hamiltonchess.weebly.com/rookies-shield-round-1.html) so we know you are coming. Cash payment is required on the day.

If anyone requires a soft copy of the flyer (attached), for school internal promotional purposes, please let me know.

I hope to see many new faces at the Hamilton Chess Centre this year!

SHump
19-02-2011, 07:45 PM
So far we have 20 entries..list is below. Half of them are juniors - so my advice to them is - the older their opponent is, the harder they fall:) Good luck to all that enter tomorrow.

No Name Feder Loc

1. Dare, Richard A 1698
2. Lynn, William A 1620
3. Gautam, Asheesh A 1500
4. Kennedy, Ian A 1498
5. Dare, Lillian A 1194
6. Chen, David B18m 1000
7. Ang, Alphaeus F10m 907
8. Gong, Daniel G8m 840
9. Metham, Michael A 800
10. Clark, Lindsay-Jon A
11. Pacua, Erwin A
12. Sedgwick, Austin A
13. Walker, Monty A
14. Symon, Christopher B18m
15. Cleland, Jeremy E12m
16. Eddy, Samuel E12m
17. Fine, Fergus E12m
18. Symon, Benjamin E12m
19. Hooper, Cullen F10m
20. Wang, Aaron G8m

SHump
20-02-2011, 03:37 PM
We had 19 players take part and there were quite a few new faces in the line up, with 9 adults and 10 under 18s. 1st Carmen Lempert, 2nd Matteus Wagner, 3rd Richard Dare overall. A range of photos and of most of the winners is here. Carmen is U18 and was undefeated - she and Matteus were visiting from Auckland, but Carmen will be going back to Switzerland soon! Other winners: David Chen (U18), Christopher Symon (U14), Benjamin Symon (U12), Alphaeus Ang (U10) and Daniel Gong (U8). Well done to all, and I hope to see you at round 2 on 10th April. Full results and a range of pics are here (http://hamiltonchess.weebly.com/round-1-results.html)

A pic of the winners is attached.

lost
27-02-2011, 11:46 PM
We had 19 players take part and there were quite a few new faces in the line up, with 9 adults and 10 under 18s. 1st Carmen Lempert, 2nd Matteus Wagner, 3rd Richard Dare overall. A range of photos and of most of the winners is here. Carmen is U18 and was undefeated - she and Matteus were visiting from Auckland, but Carmen will be going back to Switzerland soon! Other winners: David Chen (U18), Christopher Symon (U14), Benjamin Symon (U12), Alphaeus Ang (U10) and Daniel Gong (U8). Well done to all, and I hope to see you at round 2 on 10th April. Full results and a range of pics are here (http://hamiltonchess.weebly.com/round-1-results.html)

A pic of the winners is attached.

SHump,

Does Carmen Lembert play chess back in Switzerland at all and does she have a FIDE rating?

lost

Keong Ang
28-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks Scott, for a good tourney.
Great location and I'll try to get Alphaeus into round2 on 10th April.

Keong.

SHump
28-02-2011, 11:44 AM
To lost - I researched Carmen re FIDE - to no avail. But I was not trying too hard - re other european places... go right ahad. But it is good for the locals to get shaken but not stirred with some fresh talent!

To Keong - thanks for the feedback. Or please check out the Hamilton rapid on the 13 Mar - less than 2 weeks away now! I see Alphaeus had a good result at Tauranga.

ChrisBurns
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Turns out that the Swiss tourists were in fact a WGM and her Father.From the NZ Chess site it has the following,WGM Lara Stock (Croatia, 2346) won the Hamilton Rookies Shield on 20th February with 7 points, ahead of her father Michael Stock (Germany, 2275) with 6. Presumably some kind of trans-oceanic misunderstanding led them to enter the event as Carmen Lempert and Matteus Wagner (both unrated, Switzerland). Good joke folks - now please donate your prizes to the Christchurch Earthquake appeal.