PDA

View Full Version : swiss perfect database importing

Garvinator
11-09-2004, 02:00 AM
I have noticed on the swissperfect website that it is possible to import the whole acf ratings into a new tournament database. I have created a new tournament as the directions give. I have done everything they say to do as far as i can tell but i cant make it work.

I have downloaded the sept masterfile on to my computer as requested.

Has anyone actually done this before? If so, did they have any problems? Can anyone help?

arosar
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Has anyone actually done this before?

Of course it's been don before. How do you think the tourney organisers do it?

Describe everything you're doing in detail - then we can help you.

AR

Garvinator
11-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Of course it's been don before. How do you think the tourney organisers do it?

Describe everything you're doing in detail - then we can help you.

AR
actually most organisers i have seen just manually import the names from the rating list by typing in the names, not by importing the whole acf rating master list. I am sure that if what i was asking was a simple request, Bill would have replied already.

Recherché
11-09-2004, 02:53 PM
As Arosar already posted, when you're seeking help to find out why something isn't working, the first thing you should do is post a detailed description of the procedure you're actually following. That way those familiar with the procedure will have a better chance of figuring out where you're going wrong.

I'm not personally familiar with SwissPerfect.

Denis_Jessop
11-09-2004, 05:06 PM
I have noticed on the swissperfect website that it is possible to import the whole acf ratings into a new tournament database. I have created a new tournament as the directions give. I have done everything they say to do as far as i can tell but i cant make it work.

Has anyone actually done this before? If so, did they have any problems? Can anyone help?

I am using the June masterfile from the ACF Website, as prepared for use in Swiss Perfect, for the current ACT Championship. Not having used it before, I had no idea to go about doing this and, to boot, I am a Mac user usually :clap: :clap:

I simply moved the downloaded masterfile into the SP98 folder and bingo it all worked! You click on "Import New" when adding a new player and then follow the instructions. There is a fair bit of rigmarole to go through but it saves lots of time in the longrun and works better, so it seems to me, if you are adding a lot of players at the one time.

Denis Jessop

PHAT
11-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Not having used it before, I had no idea to go about doing this and, to boot, I am a Mac user usually :clap: :clap:

In case a anyone needs to know, SwissPerfect runs on Macs using VirtualPC. I have done this.

Bill Gletsos
11-09-2004, 05:36 PM

Thats because it would appear that you are not even close to doing it correctly.

The instructions on the SP website for importing are wrong. Having just looked at them They would appear to have been wrong since early 2001 if not before.

After creating a new empty tournament file you need to go to the options menu item and select Import setup.

This opens a dialog box where you have to navigate to your downloaded (after you unzip it) acfmast.trn file for normal ratings or acfrapid.trn file for rapid ratings and select the relevant one. To be able to see the relevant files the pb]Files of Type[/b] box must say SwissPerfect (*.trn).

N.B. The current September 2004 ACF master Swiss Perfect trn files distribured as zip archives not yet not available on the ACF web site.

Having selected the relevant file a mapping dialog box then opens.

Now included in the zip is a file called import_readme.

This tells you what needs to be completed in the mapping dialog box.

It says:

When importing ACFMAST.TRN into Swiss Perfect the field names need to be as follows:

Surname : SURNAME
First Name : FIRSTNAME
Intl Id : INTL_ID
Local Id : LOC_ID
Federation : FEDER
Club : CLUB
Rating Intl : INTL_RTG
Rating Loc. : LOC_RTG
Title : TITLE
Sex : SEX
Birth Date ; BIRTH_DATE
Format : yyyy-mm-dd

Make sure the First name is part of Surname field in NOT checked.

After completing the mapping and before hitting the ok button press the Save Mapping As .. button and eneter a name e,g, ACF.

Now you are all set to go andimprt the names into the emptry tournament.

Just go to Import under the Player menu and you are good to go.

Bill Gletsos
11-09-2004, 05:37 PM
In case a anyone needs to know, SwissPerfect runs on Macs using VirtualPC. I have done this.
Yes I've run it that way on my Apple laptop for ages.
It works well.

Bill Gletsos
11-09-2004, 05:38 PM
actually most organisers i have seen just manually import the names from the rating list by typing in the names, not by importing the whole acf rating master list. I am sure that if what i was asking was a simple request, Bill would have replied already.
Actually no Bill wouldnt have replied already because I only just read it.

PHAT
11-09-2004, 05:49 PM
This opens a dialog box where you have to navigate to your downloaded (after you unzip it) acfmast.trn file for normal ratings or acfrapid.trn file for rapid ratings and select the relevant one. To be able to see the relevant files the pb]Files of Type[/b] box must say SwissPerfect (*.trn).

N.B. The current September 2004 ACF master Swiss Perfect trn files distribured as zip archives not yet not available on the ACF web site.

Having selected the relevant file a mapping dialog box then opens.

Now included in the zip is a file called import_readme.

This tells you what needs to be completed in the mapping dialog box.

It says: ...

After completing the mapping and before hitting the ok button press the Save Mapping As .. button and eneter a name e,g, ACF.

Now you are all set to go andimprt the names into the emptry tournament.

Just go to Import under the Player menu and you are good to go.

Is it any wonder that the general public think software manuals are written by aliens. :rolleyes:

Bill Gletsos
11-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Is it any wonder that the general public think software manuals are written by aliens. :rolleyes:
Yes, Given that the author of Swiss Perfect is the designer of the .trn file format then the need for a mapping dialog box should be completely unnecessary when the import file is a .trn file.
Unfortunately because he does no automatically include all th mappings for the .trn file import then the mapping is absolutely necessary to get it to work correctly.
Why this should be the case amazes me. To me its an oversight in design.
The author would no doubt claim "specification". :doh:

Garvinator
11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
ok seems to work now, do you know when the september files will be available to use on swiss perfect?

Denis_Jessop
11-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Yes I've run it that way on my Apple laptop for ages.
It works well.

So have I but currently I am also running it on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP :evil:

Denis Jessop

Garvinator
11-09-2004, 10:00 PM
So have I but currently I am also running it on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP :evil:

Denis Jessop
i take it you are not impressed with that result :lol: ;)

MovingMan
13-09-2004, 12:56 AM
is it me or ...
whenever I start importing players it always says I have no index file and do I want to create one ?

and I just had a quick scan of the site - didn't see any instructs for importing - there was some help and faq at some stage I am almost sure. Is it too late in the night

ta

Garvinator
13-09-2004, 01:03 AM
is it me or ...
whenever I start importing players it always says I have no index file and do I want to create one ?

and I just had a quick scan of the site - didn't see any instructs for importing - there was some help and faq at some stage I am almost sure. Is it too late in the night

ta
did you read bills instructions listed above, they solved the problems i was having. the website is just plain wrong.

Bill Gletsos
13-09-2004, 01:09 AM
is it me or ...
It always says that. It is apparently just playing it safe in case you are using a new file of the same name, so it wants to recreate the index file.

The SP files for import are currently not on the ACF ratings page. There is normally a readme included with them in the zip file explaining what needs to be set in the mapping.

MovingMan
15-09-2004, 01:39 AM
Thanks Bill, I was hoping that that silly question (mebbe not so silly) re the index file was because I had it in the wrong folder or sumpin - ie "my" stuffup - but if that is normal then that is OK.

I have no probs handling the import - even recently "produced" a cut-down trn for the chess club - 50 or so and whether there's an index its fast to enter players as they wander in to the club - never a big hassle anyway.

cheers

Keith

Garvinator
24-09-2004, 07:32 PM
are the swiss perfect september rating files available from the auschess page. I only seem to be able to get the text document version?

Bill Gletsos
24-09-2004, 08:55 PM
I sent them to paulb on the 18th.
I suggest you email him and ask him when they will be available.

Garvinator
12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
thought this thread would be as good as any for swiss perfect questions ;)

I have just created a round robin tournament and I am wanting to export view all 9 rounds to my desktop so I can attach the file in an email.

How do i get all nine rounds to be in the one export view file. I can only get one round at a time in sp. Ideas?

Hopefully it is clear what I am attempting to do :eek:

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2005, 03:47 PM

I have just created a round robin tournament and I am wanting to export view all 9 rounds to my desktop so I can attach the file in an email.

How do i get all nine rounds to be in the one export view file. I can only get one round at a time in sp. Ideas?

Hopefully it is clear what I am attempting to do :eek:As far as I know you cant do what you want and can only export each round one at a time.

ursogr8
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM

Hopefully it is clear what I am attempting to do :eek:

gg''

We had a similar problem in the past month...and we are not experts......but...
>put round 1 pairings in view
>> choose FILE menu and the PRINT PREVIEW options
>>> put 1 and 9 (if it is 9 rounds) in the dialogue box that appears
>>>>voila...I hope.

Or, wait for an expert to post here.

regards
starter

ps.........we are able to print all on one page...not sure about EXPORT

Bill Gletsos
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
gg''

We had a similar problem in the past month...and we are not experts......but...
>put round 1 pairings in view
>> choose FILE menu and the PRINT PREVIEW options
>>> put 1 and 9 (if it is 9 rounds) in the dialogue box that appears
>>>>voila...I hope.

Or, wait for an expert to post here.

regards
starter

ps.........we are able to print all on one page...not sure about EXPORTThat only works for actual printing, not export view.

However you may be able to use your print driver to put the output into a file as opposed to actually going to a printer.

WhiteElephant
08-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Hello,

I have a feeling this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any related threads.

Can anyone tell me what it means when SwissPerfect asks 'Do you want to apply special last round paring rules'? How are pairings different if you apply or don't apply?

Thanks

auriga
08-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Hello,

I have a feeling this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any related threads.

Can anyone tell me what it means when SwissPerfect asks 'Do you want to apply special last round paring rules'? How are pairings different if you apply or don't apply?

Thanks

hi whiteelephant,

see below from swiss perfect helpfile.

---

In most Swiss systems special rules apply to the last round pairings. In the last round serious violations of colour assignment rules are allowed if they lead to achieving more pairing within point groups.

Swiss Perfect allows you to apply or ignore those special rules.

Swiss Perfect knows which round is last from the value you entered in the Rounds box in the Administrative Options dialog box.

Denis_Jessop
08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
hi whiteelephant,

see below from swiss perfect helpfile.

---

In most Swiss systems special rules apply to the last round pairings. In the last round serious violations of colour assignment rules are allowed if they lead to achieving more pairing within point groups.

Swiss Perfect allows you to apply or ignore those special rules.

Swiss Perfect knows which round is last from the value you entered in the Rounds box in the Administrative Options dialog box.

Not only that but the FIDE Dutch system rules provide that

"B. Pairing Criteria

Absolute Criteria
(These may not be violated. If necessary players will be moved down to a lower score bracket.)
B.1
a. Two players shall not meet more than once.
b. A player who has received a point without playing, either through a bye or due to an opponent not appearing in time, shall not receive a bye.
B.2
a. No player's colour difference will become >+2 or <-2.
b. No player will receive the same colour three times in row.

Relative Criteria
(These are in descending priority. They should be fulfilled as much as possible. To comply with these criteria, transpositions or even exchanges may be applied, but no player should be moved down to a lower score bracket).
B.3
The difference of the scores of two players paired against each other should be as small as possible and ideally zero.
B.4
As many players as possible receive their colour preference. (Whenever x of a score bracket is unequal to zero this rule will have to be ignored. x is deducted by one each time a colour preference cannot be granted.)
B.5
No player shall receive an identical float in two consecutive rounds.
B.6
No player shall have an identical float as two rounds before.
Note: B2, B5 and B6 do not apply when pairing players with a score of over 50% in the last round."

See the note at the end. In light of this SP perhaps should not even ask the question.

DJ

ursogr8
08-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Not only that but the FIDE Dutch system rules provide that

<snip>
See the note at the end. In light of this SP perhaps should not even ask the question.

DJ

Perhaps White Elephant can tell us whether he advertised his tournament as
> played under SP pairing rules,
or
> played under FIDE Dutch system rules

starter

WhiteElephant
08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
I had seen the SP Help File but I didn't think it was very specific.

Thanks Denis, that clarifies the exact difference.

I used to randomly click 'Yes' or 'No' depending on my mood. Now that I know the effect of those clicks, I do not favour either way since with the final round rules some players will be unhappy with consecutive blacks, without it, some players will play up, some down, etc.

Starter, it was advertised as a Swiss Tournament, and I doubt many of the competitors will be too worried whether I used the last round pairing rules or not as they are all 12 years of age or below. :)

ursogr8
08-06-2005, 09:30 PM
<snip>

Starter, it was advertised as a Swiss Tournament, and I doubt many of the competitors will be too worried whether I used the last round pairing rules or not as they are all 12 years of age or below. :)

I guess I was tricked by post #25 where it seemed to be WE asking the question, not 12 year olds.

starter

WhiteElephant
08-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I guess I was tricked by post #25 where it seemed to be WE asking the question, not 12 year olds.

starter

Starter, the others have been very helpful and you are taking the piss. Why?

I asked the question for 2 reasons:
1) Because I wanted to know more about SwissPerfect
2) Because I wanted to know which option was more equitable from the perspective of the players, who happen to be 12 year olds in this particular tournament.

ursogr8
09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Starter, the others have been very helpful and you are taking the piss. Why?

I asked the question for 2 reasons:
1) Because I wanted to know more about SwissPerfect
2) Because I wanted to know which option was more equitable from the perspective of the players, who happen to be 12 year olds in this particular tournament.

hi WE

First, I had no idea of the answer to your first question on the the SP dialogue box prior to the last round pairings. So, naturally, I could not be helpful on the answer. That doesn't make me unhelpful, just unable to help.

Second, I responded to DJ's 'perhaps' statement because to me I looked like a chance to refresh on that unanswered question from the THREAD about interferring with SWISS pairings. (That is, should we just follow SP blindly, knowing that it does not replicate Dutch/FIDE/pairing_rules' or should we interfere with SP pairings even though there is no consensus among Aus IA's on how to interfere).

Third, I probably misjudged your reference to 12 year olds as saying that it is not important to follow rules at junior level. I apologise for this misjudgement.

Finally, "are taking the xxxx"; I don't often do this to posters who don't deserve it. You don't deserve it. When I do it it I usually signal with a smiley.

with warmest regards for the work that you do,
starter

WhiteElephant
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
hi WE
I responded to DJ's 'perhaps' statement because to me I looked like a chance to refresh on that unanswered question from the THREAD about interferring with SWISS pairings. (That is, should we just follow SP blindly, knowing that it does not replicate Dutch/FIDE/pairing_rules' or should we interfere with SP pairings even though there is no consensus among Aus IA's on how to interfere).starter

Sorry, I thought you were making a comment about my advertising methods. I am probably more touchy than normal on this issue because of all this discussion about what can and can't be advertised here.

I probably misjudged your reference to 12 year olds as saying that it is not important to follow rules at junior level. I apologise for this misjudgement.

When I said I randomly click 'Yes' or 'No' I didn't mean I didn't care but that I didn't think there was much difference to the pairings either way.

Finally, "are taking the xxxx"; I don't often do this to posters who don't deserve it. You don't deserve it. When I do it it I usually signal with a smiley.

Yes I know. You are generally very fair and reasonable.

with warmest regards for the work that you do,
starter

Thanks.

WhiteElephant
13-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Has anyone had the following problem with SwissPerfect?

In a tournament with an odd number of players, I hit 'automatic pairing' and one person ends up with the bye. This is shown as:

John (2) 1-0 BYE

John's Total Score, shown in brackets, is automatically updated to include the point gained from the bye (ie. John has only won 1 game but his score is now 2).

If one person does not show up for their game (this happens often when I run junior tournaments at schools), I will manually delete the line above and move John's name to another line in place of the player who is away.

The problem is that when I do this, John's Total Score stays at 2, even though I have deleted his bye. I cannot find a way to remove this extra point. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Phil Bourke
15-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi all. Another newbie question on SwissPerfect for you all to enjoy :)
When trying to import a player using the current March 07 txt file, I haven't been having any joy :(
I went with the default mapping to start with, then looked at the text file and try to match that column format up, but still no good.
Of course, it could be much simpler if I could find somewhere to download the trn file, but I haven't been able to do that either :)
If anyone can tell me what I should be doing, or perhaps not doing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi all. Another newbie question on SwissPerfect for you all to enjoy :)
When trying to import a player using the current March 07 txt file, I haven't been having any joy :(
I went with the default mapping to start with, then looked at the text file and try to match that column format up, but still no good.
Of course, it could be much simpler if I could find somewhere to download the trn file, but I haven't been able to do that either :)
If anyone can tell me what I should be doing, or perhaps not doing, it would be greatly appreciated.Dont use the text file as it isnt meant to be used in SP.

You can get the December 2006 SP master trn file from the CAQ website at http://www.caq.org.au/htm/download/acfmasterSP1206.exe and update the ratings manually for March 2007 or wait a couple of days for the March 2007 SP master trn file to appear on the ACF web site.

Phil Bourke
15-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Dont use the text file as it isnt meant to be used in SP.

You can get the December SP master trn file from http://www.caq.org.au/htm/download/acfmasterSP1206.exe and update the ratings manually for March 2007 or wait a couple of days for the March 2007 SP master trn file to appear on the ACF web site.
Many thanks Bill. I got the impression from the SP help that it was possible to use txt files as an import database, but should have guessed that it was another helpfile written by a programmer :) I will wait for the trn file.

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Many thanks Bill. I got the impression from the SP help that it was possible to use txt files as an import database, but should have guessed that it was another helpfile written by a programmer :) I will wait for the trn file.Well instead of saying "Dont use the text file as it isnt meant to be used in SP." what I should have said was "Dont use the text file as it isnt worth the trouble.". ;)

Phil Bourke
16-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Well instead of saying "Dont use the text file as it isnt meant to be used in SP." what I should have said was "Dont use the text file as it isnt worth the trouble.". ;)
Whilst that is only a subtle difference :) It is the difference between smooth sailing and tearing your hair out in frustration :)

PhilD707
21-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Whilst that is only a subtle difference :) It is the difference between smooth sailing and tearing your hair out in frustration :)

Phil,
The Burnie Club has put a proposal to the Tas Chess Association to request that documentation be provided by the ACF on exactly how to use their adopted ratings system and software (Swiss Perfect) in conjunction with one another.
I would think that this would get a favourable response from the ACf and that said doco will appear on the new ACF web site in due course.
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.
Regards
Phil.

Bill Gletsos
21-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Phil,
The Burnie Club has put a proposal to the Tas Chess Association to request that documentation be provided by the ACF on exactly how to use their adopted ratings system and software (Swiss Perfect) in conjunction with one another.How to use Swiss Perfect is explained in the builtin SP help files.
As for how to import players this is also explained in the builtin help documention.
The ACF rating officers provided importable ACF master SP trn files.
The mapping required for importing from these trn files is in a text file provided with the SP master files.

I would think that this would get a favourable response from the ACf and that said doco will appear on the new ACF web site in due course.
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.
Regards
Phil.The ACF will not be repeating information that is readily obtainable from the builtin SP help.

My experience is that even the most computer illiterate people have little problem importing from the provided ACF SP trn master files.

The fact that you cannot seemingly either remember what you were previously told or work things out from the provided SP documention is your problem.

PhilD707
21-03-2007, 02:53 PM
How to use Swiss Perfect is explained in the builtin SP help files.
As for how to import players this is also explained in the builtin help documention.
The ACF rating officers provided importable ACF master SP trn files.
The mapping required for importing from these trn files is in a text file provided with the SP master files.
The ACF will not be repeating information that is readily obtainable from the builtin SP help.

My experience is that even the most computer illiterate people have little problem importing from the provided ACF SP trn master files.

The fact that you cannot seemingly either remember what you were previously told or work things out from the provided SP documention is your problem.

When I was attempting to import players details for a rapid play tournament I discovered, by chance, that the ratings of some of the players imported were actually their normal ratings (rather than rapid ratings).
It later transpired that these players were those who had not played sufficient games to have a rapid rating.

As far as I am aware information relating to this anomaly is not available on the SP help but correct me if I am wrong.

As a person with a lot of experience in data management it makes me very nervous when I see data being manipulated in such an rather artificial way. More so when if there is no documentation relating to it.

Also in general terms, if there is no need for documentation of the ratings and Swiss Perfect then the obvious question is why are other people attempting to create the same in an unofficial capacity?

EG Brian Jones and Ian Rout I believe have separately done some work along these lines?

I suggest to you that the ACF could usefully adopt the provision of helpful service attitude that successful business people (such as eg David Cordover) are using to great effect to build strong customer bases.

I also suggest to you that if your attitude was less negative and put more emphasis on positive teamwork that people might enjoy working with you more and the ratings officers around the nation would be better organized and more effective team.

Bill Gletsos
21-03-2007, 03:04 PM
When I was attempting to import players details for a rapid play tournament I discovered, by chance, that the ratings of some of the players imported were actually their normal ratings (rather than rapid ratings).
It later transpired that these players were those who had not played sufficient games to have a rapid rating.

As far as I am aware information relating to this anomaly is not available on the SP help but correct me if I am wrong.This is simple. This was requested by a number of arbiters ages ago as it saved them manually entering players normal ratings for players with no rapid ratings.

As a person with a lot of experience in data management it makes me very nervous when I see data being manipulated in such an rather artificial way. More so when if there is no documentation relating to it.The fact the rapid contains normal ratings for those without rapid ratings is fairly obvious to even those of the meanest intellect.

Also in general terms, if there is no need for documentation of the ratings and Swiss Perfect then the obvious question is why are other people attempting to create the same in an unofficial capacity?Simple, because the latest Sp trn files were not available on the ACF website. Of course they could have used the December 2006 files and manually entered the ratings whilst waiting for the latest files to appear.

I suggest to you that the ACF could usefully adopt the provision of helpful service attitude that successful business people (such as eg David Cordover) are using to great effect to build strong customer bases.As noted previously others do not appear to have that much difficulty importing from the SP trn file.

I also suggest to you that if your attitude was less negative and put more emphasis on positive teamwork that people might enjoy working with you more and the ratings officers around the nation would be better organized and more effective team.As usual you have no clue what you are talking about. The State Rating Officers are an organised and effective team and I have an excellent working relationship with all of them. It is however the State Rating Officers responability to liase with organisers within their respective states. I will however assist the State Rating Officers whenever they have to deal with people like you. Fortunately you appear to be unique.

Now off you go back to your adjudications with Fischer time controls. :hand:

Kevin Bonham
21-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Irrelevant material moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6075)

WBA
19-04-2008, 11:09 PM
If I have a listing of just

player name, local_id, local_rating in a comma delimited file, is anyone able to assist in getting this imported to Swiss Perfect?

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2008, 01:32 AM
If I have a listing of just

player name, local_id, local_rating in a comma delimited file, is anyone able to assist in getting this imported to Swiss Perfect?Why not just use the ACF Swiss Perfect master file supplied on the ACF website.

WBA
20-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Why not just use the ACF Swiss Perfect master file supplied on the ACF website.
Because it is using club ratings as opposed to national, but is okay I got it working ;)