PDA

View Full Version : Starting a club / affiliation with existing clubs?

Spiny Norman
06-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Hi there,

I'm in Lilydale, an outer-eastern suburb of Melbourne. A long time ago I was a member of Ringwood Chess Club (circa 1980) but I dropped out of chess for a number of years and some time since then the club folded.

As best I can determine, the nearest club to here would be Box Hill (or Waverley?). That's about 1/2 an hour by car, so I figure there might be an opportunity to start up something a bit closer.

I have already arranged access to a pretty decent venue at no cost (could accommodate about 30+ people quite happily). I am interested to know:

1. Would those who are regular players prefer:
(a) travel further to a much stronger club for better competition; or
(b) travel a shorter distance to a more convenient location; or
(c) a shandy, sometimes (a) and sometimes (b)?

2. Do you think that a larger, long-established club such as Box Hill would be interested in having a start-up club as an affiliate of theirs, or would they simply view it as competition that potentially "steals" away a few of their members?

My current thinking is to start up a good venue for social players to get together. I plan on working closely with local council to attract new players (in conjunction with local schools) and helping out the local library by purchasing some quality chess books for them to help stock their shelves (currently, chess books are virtually non-existant at our libraries out here).

My son (aged 11) is now keen to play chess and will shortly be good enough to beat poor ol' Dad ... so I want to get him some good competition.

Would appreciate feedback ... if you think starting a new club is a dumb idea, just say so!

Regards,

Steve

Garvinator
06-09-2004, 09:17 PM
hello frosty, the person on here who is probably the one you should be waiting for a reply from his starter, who is from box hill.

Garvinator
06-09-2004, 10:29 PM
sorry to reply again straight after my previous post.

Frosty, i see you are looking at David cordovers school competition, i think you might want to have a look at another thread ;)

the thread title is check,mates, hes a multiple winner and its located at: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1076&page=1

Have fun :uhoh:

Spiny Norman
06-09-2004, 10:39 PM
hello frosty, the person on here who is probably the one you should be waiting for a reply from his starter, who is from box hill.

Ta ... will keep an eye out for a reply from him ... if necessary will contact him directly.

sorry to reply again straight after my previous post.

Frosty, i see you are looking at David cordovers school competition, i think you might want to have a look at another thread ;)

the thread title is check,mates, hes a multiple winner and its located at: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1076&page=1

Have fun :uhoh:

All of this makes for interesting reading. <grins>. I understand the "entrepreneurial urge" (having launched a couple of businesses myself over the years ... in the IT/software area).

I had no idea that chess in VIC was such a hotbed of intrigue ...

Cheers,

Frosty

ursogr8
06-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi there,

I'm in Lilydale, an outer-eastern suburb of Melbourne. A long time ago I was a member of Ringwood Chess Club (circa 1980) but I dropped out of chess for a number of years and some time since then the club folded.

Ringwood was an initiative of a current LIFE member at Box Hill. When Ringwood started various Box Hill members travelled to the early tournaments to help get a critical mass going. Ringwood folded after a few years and the assets were donated to Box Hill; Box Hill then ran a Super_OPEN with free entry to the Woodsmen with the idea of attracting those guys to BH. Only a few took up the offer long-term.
Looking at the current BH members register I can see quite a few who come from the Hills. If you like to drop in one Friday or Tuesday I will share the list with you. You may also like to post a display notice on our notice-board.
No, you are not competition, you are some-one we would encourage as we are far too large (250+ members)

As best I can determine, the nearest club to here would be Box Hill (or Waverley?). That's about 1/2 an hour by car, so I figure there might be an opportunity to start up something a bit closer.

Sadly, Waverley has folded.

I have already arranged access to a pretty decent venue at no cost (could accommodate about 30+ people quite happily). I am interested to know:

1. Would those who are regular players prefer:
(a) travel further to a much stronger club for better competition; or
(b) travel a shorter distance to a more convenient location; or
(c) a shandy, sometimes (a) and sometimes (b)?

1(c) would probably be the choice of many.

2. Do you think that a larger, long-established club such as Box Hill would be interested in having a start-up club as an affiliate of theirs, or would they simply view it as competition that potentially "steals" away a few of their members?

See above comments of mine. We would encourage you every step of the way. As would the ChessVICTORIA president.....he will be at Box Hill tomorrow night, supervising the VIC Champ.

My current thinking is to start up a good venue for social players to get together. I plan on working closely with local council to attract new players (in conjunction with local schools) and helping out the local library by purchasing some quality chess books for them to help stock their shelves (currently, chess books are virtually non-existant at our libraries out here).

Good plan.

My son (aged 11) is now keen to play chess and will shortly be good enough to beat poor ol' Dad ... so I want to get him some good competition.

Great idea.

Would appreciate feedback ... if you think starting a new club is a dumb idea, just say so!

Regards,

Steve

Steve.........you are on the right track.

starter

ursogr8
06-09-2004, 10:57 PM
All of this makes for interesting reading. <grins>. I understand the "entrepreneurial urge" (having launched a couple of businesses myself over the years ... in the IT/software area).

I had no idea that chess in VIC was such a hotbed of intrigue ...

Cheers,

Frosty

Steve
Forget the white-shoe brigade in Qld and the Welshers to the south of them. They struggle to understand different business models. Victoria is the place to be. ;)
starter

Spiny Norman
07-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Ringwood was an initiative of a current LIFE member at Box Hill. When Ringwood started various Box Hill members travelled to the early tournaments to help get a critical mass going. Ringwood folded after a few years and the assets were donated to Box Hill; Box Hill then ran a Super_OPEN with free entry to the Woodsmen with the idea of attracting those guys to BH. Only a few took up the offer long-term.
Looking at the current BH members register I can see quite a few who come from the Hills. If you like to drop in one Friday or Tuesday I will share the list with you. You may also like to post a display notice on our notice-board.
No, you are not competition, you are some-one we would encourage as we are far too large (250+ members)

<snip>

See above comments of mine. We would encourage you every step of the way. As would the ChessVICTORIA president.....he will be at Box Hill tomorrow night, supervising the VIC Champ.

I remember a few names from back then ... Alan (?) DeVries, John Butler, Bill Wildenburg, Otto Barton, Kevin Morrison.

One of the biggest thrills of my chess life was getting a draw against John Butler in 1982. I still have the game score somewhere. He was ranked ~1800 at the time, and I was still very-wet-behind-the-ears ~1400.

I guess Ringwood must've folded in the late 80's? My old score book shows my games there starting in 1980 and the last ones were in the club championship in 1988. So I was involved there longer than I thought at first...

Thanks for the info "starter". I think I might take you up on that offer to come down to Box Hill.

Tonight you say? I can probably manage that. Website says the address is "79 Carrington Road, Box Hill" so that doesn't sound difficult to find.

I'll try sending you a private message with my details so that we can hook up and have a chat.

Thanks again,

Steve

ursogr8
07-09-2004, 07:58 AM
I remember a few names from back then ... Alan (?) DeVries, John Butler, Bill Wildenburg, Otto Barton, Kevin Morrison.

Snap. We have John Butler still active at Box Hill, two evenings a week. Well into his 80's, and a Life member. Famous on this BB for winning three games in row; hence the John Butler Trio. There is a marvellous John Butler story in our publication celebrating 50 years at Box Hill. I will dig out and post.

One of the biggest thrills of my chess life was getting a draw against John Butler in 1982. I still have the game score somewhere. He was ranked ~1800 at the time, and I was still very-wet-behind-the-ears ~1400.

John's rating is used by Bill Gletsos to feed the under-rated juniors. So he has been reduced from 1800 to 1301.

I guess Ringwood must've folded in the late 80's? My old score book shows my games there starting in 1980 and the last ones were in the club championship in 1988. So I was involved there longer than I thought at first...

Thanks for the info "starter". I think I might take you up on that offer to come down to Box Hill.

Tonight you say? I can probably manage that. Website says the address is "79 Carrington Road, Box Hill" so that doesn't sound difficult to find.
It is in the Senior Citizens Club on the corner with Thurston.

I'll try sending you a private message with my details so that we can hook up and have a chat.

Thanks again,

Steve

Responded to your PM

starter

Trent Parker
09-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Whats wrong with a long Journey?? :lol:

It takes me 1.5 hours to get home from my chess club on a monday night.
.5 hour train trip
1 hour walk
(though i do live in the country. :lol:

However good luck with starting your club.

Spiny Norman
09-09-2004, 09:12 PM

.5 hour train trip
1 hour walk

Blimey ... wouldn't want to be raining would it !

Frosty.

Trent Parker
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Blimey ... wouldn't want to be raining would it !

Frosty.

well.... my parents dont mind the phonecall for a lift from the station if it is raining.... :D

Alan Shore
09-09-2004, 10:04 PM

.5 hour train trip
1 hour walk

1 hour walk!! Cripes, you are a chess nut!

arosar
10-09-2004, 12:42 PM
1 hour walk!! Cripes, you are a chess nut!

It compensates for his unhealthy chess life - what with it being a sedentary pursuit.

AR

Spiny Norman
25-09-2004, 08:10 PM

Shouldn't have opened my big mouth. We were playing a couple of quick games tonight (without clocks tho') and, sure enough, he snuck one past me. I thought I was getting old, but now I know it!

Anyway, recorded for posterity, here's my boy's first win over Dad. May he have many more! :clap:

Event: Informal game
Site: @home
Date: Saturday, 25th September 2004
White: Frost, Stephen
Black: Frost, Jared (aged 11)
Result: 0-1
ECO: E47

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e3 0-0 5.Bd3 Nc6 6.Nge2 d5 7.a3 Bxc3+ 8.Nxc3 Na5 9.cxd5 exd5 10.0-0 Bg4 11.f3 Be6 12.Qc2 Nc4 13.e4 { White starts too soon ... I probably should have hidden my King away on h1 first and perhaps driven away the pesky black Knight with b3. } 13...dxe4 { Black finds the best move. } 14.fxe4 { But White, still seduced by the idea of a direct attack on the enemy King, goes astray. Best would probably have been Nxe4. } 14...Ng4 15.e5 Nce3 16.Bxe3 Nxe3 17.Bxh7+ Kh8 18.Qe2 { White is losing now, but being old 'n silly (and still seduced by the idea of attacking) he doesn't yet realise it! } 18...Nxf1 19.Qh5 Ng3 { Not best, but good enough to maintain an advantage. } 20.hxg3 Qxd4+ 21.Kh2 Qg4 { Stopping White in his tracks. The rest, for Dad, is depressing. } 22.Qxg4 Bxg4 23.Be4 Rfe8 24.Kg1 Rxe5 25.Kf2 Bf5 26.Kf3 Bxe4+ 27.Nxe4 Rf5+ 28.Kg4 Re5 29.Rh1+ Kg8 30.Kf4 Rae8 31.Nc3 Re1 32.Rxe1 Rxe1 33.Nb5 Re2 34.Nxa7 Rxb2 0-1

Spiny Norman
21-11-2004, 06:03 AM
My current thinking is to start up a good venue for social players to get together. I plan on working closely with local council ...

News update:

I applied for funding from council a few months ago to help get things up and running. Looks like that has been successful and I am meeting with them this week to work out the details.

Interesting aspect is that I applied for a grant under the council's "Cultural Grants" program. That application was rejected because they didn't feel that a chess club properly fit their criteria ... BUT ... they liked the application so much that they forwarded it on to the guy who manages "Leisure Activities".

They had some funding left over from last year's leisure grants program that had not been allocated (presumably due to not having enough high-quality applications), so they're going to fund it out of that money. :cool:

Special thanks to starter for giving me some good tips on how to write an effective council grant application! Obviously the advice was spot on! :)

Can anyone help me with information in respect of the following two questions?

Who is running a "junior chess program" in Bayswater and are they "reputable"? Council would like to introduce me to them to see if there are synergies. On the face of it this makes good sense and supplies me with an instant membership.

Who runs "Croydon Chess Club"? There is no such club affiliated with Chess Victoria as best I can tell. I have a phone number here for the club - rang it yesterday and got someone's private residence.

ursogr8
21-11-2004, 06:14 AM
News update:

I applied for funding from council a few months ago to help get things up and running. Looks like that has been successful and I am meeting with them this week to work out the details.

Interesting aspect is that I applied for a grant under the council's "Cultural Grants" program. That application was rejected because they didn't feel that a chess club properly fit their criteria ... BUT ... they liked the application so much that they forwarded it on to the guy who manages "Leisure Activities".

They had some funding left over from last year's leisure grants program that had not been allocated (presumably due to not having enough high-quality applications), so they're going to fund it out of that money. :cool:

Special thanks to starter for giving me some good tips on how to write an effective council grant application! Obviously the advice was spot on! :)

Can anyone help me with information in respect of the following two questions?

Who is running a "junior chess program" in Bayswater and are they "reputable"? Council would like to introduce me to them to see if there are synergies. On the face of it this makes good sense and supplies me with an instant membership.

Who runs "Croydon Chess Club"? There is no such club affiliated with Chess Victoria as best I can tell. I have a phone number here for the club - rang it yesterday and got someone's private residence.

Steve

I have sent a PM with a name.

Well done on the funding success by you.

I can't remember ever being knocked back on (Council) funding applications for chess, or travel o/s for chess juniors.

Suggest you contact the CV Prez. and he would (may) give you the name of
> coaches in the area
>> schools with teams in Interschool.

(The coaches will be glad that you are establishing a base).

starter