PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Classic

Alan Shore
06-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Nell Van De Graaff Classic - Sat/Sun 18/19 September

Don’t worry, Nell is alive and well and will be participating in this event as usual. The Gold Coast Classic has been renamed to honour Nell’s involvement and status in the Gold Coast Chess Club over many years. Nell recently turned 89!

The event will be held, as usual, in the Somerset College Sports Pavilion, affectionately known as the Koala House. It is an Australian Grand Prix Category 3 Tournament which also doubles as a teams’ event. Players form themselves into teams of four with a maximum average rating of 1400. Those who have not joined a team by the end of round one are put into one by the organisers.

There will be $2,500 in prizes. Hopefully Queensland’s four Olympians (IM Stephen Solomon, IM David Smerdon, WIM Arianne Caoili and WIM Anastasia Sorokina) will be playing. By the way, my sincere apologies are extended to Anastasia for missing her in my acknowledgement of those selected in the last issue. Perhaps it was a case of ‘out of sight, out of mind’. Anastasia is due back from her long overseas chess trip this week.

As usual, Charles Zworestine is coming from Sydney as DOP, and no doubt he will provide us with a great report on the event.

Full details can be found at www.gardinerchess.com. Entries can be made online by using the ‘Pay Fees’ button.

Garvinator
06-09-2004, 01:18 PM
are you now getting kickbacks from Graeme, Bruce? :uhoh: advertising his events :lol:

Also i think i have seen this advertising somewhere before :P ;)

arosar
06-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey I wouldn't mind paying youse blokes a visit. I was there a coupla years ago and I really loved it. Maybe next year.

AR

Alan Shore
06-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Hey I wouldn't mind paying youse blokes a visit. I was there a coupla years ago and I really loved it. Maybe next year.

AR

Oh, I was hoping you'd be able to make it this year.. what's precluding you?

Garvinator
06-09-2004, 02:38 PM
are you going to play bruce?

arosar
06-09-2004, 02:40 PM

I already got a trip planned to Tassie plus another trip somewhere.

AR

Alan Shore
06-09-2004, 03:27 PM
are you going to play bruce?

Maybe.. it's still in the air. I'll get back to you on that.