PDA

View Full Version : 2010 World Youth Chess Championships

Z&MLoh
17-10-2010, 12:40 PM
The long wait is finally over. This weekend, the Australian team will be making its way to Porto Carras Resort in Greece to compete in this year's World Youth Chess Championships. It's a small team this year and inexperienced, but undoubtedly very enthusiastic about the upcoming competition. The team is:

Under 16 Open
Michael Addamo

Under 16 Girls
Miranda Webb Liddle

Under 14 Girls
Abbie Kanagarajah

Under 12 Open
Zachary Loh

Under 8 Open
Kevin Willathgamuwa
Rowan Willathgamuwa

Wish us luck. You can follow progress of the team at the WYCC website: World Youth Chess Championships 2010 (http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/)

Mike Loh
Team Manager

ER
17-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Good luck to all, thank God Porto Carras is far away from all those strikes and troubles of the big cities! Will follow with great interest all our green and gold performances! :) Go Aussie!!! :clap:

ER
18-10-2010, 04:38 AM
BTW have a look at the tournament venue and other details! :)

http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/

Z&MLoh
19-10-2010, 01:59 PM
We've made to the Porto Carras resort where the WYCC is being held.

It's taken us 19 hours 55 minutes plus 4 hours and 20 minutes waiting at airports for transfers. And we nearly didn't make our connection at Athens airport. We could hardly be blamed for that because we did following instructions on the boarding pass for flight OA910 and were at the allotted Gate B27 about 40 minutes ahead of the 14:25 take-off. And we did check with the counter that we were at the right gate because a different flight was displayed on the monitor. We were told right place but wait right there; it will be a later flight. At 14:20, sensing something was amiss, checked with the counter again. This time the lady referred me to Gate B26, which in turn told us that the gate have been changed for flight OA 910 (no announcement on the PA, by the way). It is now at Gate B5 and we need to hurry because it takes-off at 14:55. A quick dash around some crowds gathering for the flight at B27, a flight of steps and another couple of hundred metres at speed, we were at Gate B5. Now Gate B5 had a monitor that did show all the flights and it did show flight OA910 but not wanting to be bitten again, we checked at the counter to make absolutely sure this was the right gate. It was...

Close one and it could very well have been a disaster. Along the way, "picked" up a Chinese national making the same connection who spoke not a single word of English travelling. He was travelling for business. I had to help do some interpreting with my broken Chinese. Turns out he was going to have an interpreter travel with him but had to attend to a family matter. Perhaps a story for another time...

Saw some chess players making the same pilgrimage like us. There were the Malaysian players and Indian (I'm guessing) on the transfer bus at Doha. There were Arab-speaking players and Vietnamese players on the bus taking us to the hotels. First, we stopped at the Anthemus Sea; the Arab-speaking and Vietnamese players got off. The bus then drove us to the Porto Carras Grand Resort proper. There are 4 hotels on this site, of which Sithonia Hotel is one and the next stop. The Malaysians got off. We're next and our base for the next 13 days is the Meliton Hotel. Interesting architecture - it's a 3-legged building and each leg is built like a cruise ship. There were kids there already and they are already running around and chasing each other...

Oh, I neglected to mention that it wasn’t just the players; there was the entourage of parents, siblings (I'm guessing because they are very young but they could be players), managers and coaches. This very easily doubles or triples the player ranks! The lady at the Meliton Hotel reception remarked that it is better to come in a bit earlier. Today is the official travel day and there will be people from around the world to fill the 350 rooms at this hotel alone plus the other hotels that I mention above. She is going to be busy…

Day 1 of the competition starts on Wednesday. After breakfast, I'll catch up with the Willathgamuwas and the rest of the team arrives today.

Mike Loh

Z&MLoh
19-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Player list is finalised. This is where our players stand:

Category Total# Rank Player FIDE id FIDE rating
Under-16 Boys 145 117 Addamo Michael 3212149 1860
Under-16 Girls 100 83 Webb-Liddle Miranda 3206939 1467
Under-14 Girls 101 70 Kanagarajah Abbie 3208630 1644
Under-12 Boys 150 98 Loh Zachary 3210383 1711
Under-8 Boys 127 115 Willathgamuwa Kevin 3214168 0
Under-8 Boys 127 116 Willathgamuwa Rowan 3214176 0

mikesguns
19-10-2010, 03:40 PM
i am about to board the plane to thessaloniki from athens.

Z&MLoh
20-10-2010, 06:36 AM
The peace and quiet of yesterday is gone; replaced by a cacophony of sound and noise. As I went to dinner, another double-decker bus pulled up to deposit another load of people. Everyone from the Australian Team is assembled here now. Most of our players have now been registered this afternoon.

From the Technical Meeting concluded 30 minutes ago, the main playing hall will be the Olympic Hall. Besides the Under-8 and Under-10 age groups, all other players (about 1000) will congregate at the Olympic Hall to do battle. The younger players will play in 2 function rooms in the Meliton Hotel where we are based. This makes it easier for the Willathgamuwa family. The organisers have been having trouble with space for over 1400 players from 87 Federations e.g. the US team has 40 players and an entourage of 80! The organisers have restricted entry into the main playing hall to the federation delegate only except for the first 2-3 minutes for photos. In the Meliton playing halls, no one except the players are allowed due to space restrictions. Also, default time is 30 minutes because there are players housed in another hotel a bit further out who will need transportation to the playing halls. Ignatius Leong is the head of the Appeals Committee. Tie break will be determined via Progressive scores. Top 5 boards will be published at the website: http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/live-games-2/

This afternoon, I’ve hooked up with GM David Arutinian who will coach our team. He is fresh from success with the Georgian Women’s team in the World Olympiad – a third placing for them. Hopefully some of that success will rub off on our team. Tomorrow a team photo at 8AM, followed by some preparation and then IT begins…

Kai
20-10-2010, 07:31 AM
The peace and quiet of yesterday is gone; replaced by a cacophony of sound and noise. As I went to dinner, another double-decker bus pulled up to deposit another load of people. Everyone from the Australian Team is assembled here now. Most of our players have now been registered this afternoon.

From the Technical Meeting concluded 30 minutes ago, the main playing hall will be the Olympic Hall. Besides the Under-8 and Under-10 age groups, all other players (about 1000) will congregate at the Olympic Hall to do battle. The younger players will play in 2 function rooms in the Meliton Hotel where we are based. This makes it easier for the Willathgamuwa family. The organisers have been having trouble with space for over 1400 players from 87 Federations e.g. the US team has 40 players and an entourage of 80! The organisers have restricted entry into the main playing hall to the federation delegate only except for the first 2-3 minutes for photos. In the Meliton playing halls, no one except the players are allowed due to space restrictions. Also, default time is 30 minutes because there are players housed in another hotel a bit further out who will need transportation to the playing halls. Ignatius Leong is the head of the Appeals Committee. Tie break will be determined via Progressive scores.

This afternoon, I’ve hooked up with GM David Arutinian who will coach our team. He is fresh from success with the Georgian Women’s team in the World Olympiad – a third placing for them. Hopefully some of that success will rub off on our team. Tomorrow a team photo at 8AM, followed by some preparation and then IT begins…

GOOD LUCK TO ZAC AND THE AUSSIE TEAM!:clap:

Thanks Mike for the updates.

Z&MLoh
21-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Tough day in the office for our Aussie kids but there was a surprise package also. Our older boys and girls didn't fare so well but Rowan and Kevin Willathgamuwas won their games against Russian kids. I'll post some photos later.

Mike

klyall
21-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Mike

Please give our best wishes to the Australian team. :clap:

Kerry and Eugene

Z&MLoh
22-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Slightly better day yesterday in Round 2. Kevin W continues with his winning form, Zach broke through with his first win and Miranda got a draw against a 1900 player and Rowan had his win in Round 1. The others came close but no luck so far. There has been time management issues e.g. played too fast, ran out of time (then blundered), etc. Spirits are good though - everyone is encouraging each other. I am sure that everyone will get there soon. Michael has been close against tough opponents. Abbie's the same - her first game took almost 5 hours. She didn't get dinner until after 9 because of the 4PM start.

Clearly the Russians have a big contingent here. When they got together to distribute their badges, they took up half the lobby. Indians are visible and so are the Americans and Canadians with their blue tops. Our green uniform stands out too but we have also been mistaken for South Africans! We do get a word of encouragement from the South Africans too. Walking through the corridors you hear things like "I adjusted a few pieces but my opponent forced me to move the first piece I touched", etc. Even at this level, you still hear simple things like that. A Polish coach sat with us for lunch yesterday - he has 2 players under his coaching responsibility in a team of about 30 players. Last night a Serbian father sat with Zach and I. The conversation was a combination of simple words and hand gestures; he has a son in the Under-16 category.

Internet access is marginal; the organisers arranged for wifi access in the hotel lobby but at peak time, performance is very slow. I bought a card for lan in my hotel room but other than off-peak times, the internet access is pretty useless. In the lobby, laptops, Skype, online chatting, Facebook and Chessbase are common.

PGN files aren't forthcoming. Only the top 18 boards for Round 1 published so far. The Chief Arbiter is getting more strict with who gets into the competition hall. He is enforcing the delegates only rule but it is a bit like shooing cats. They sneak in after the coast is clear! When you do get in, the access to see any of our players (or any player for that matter) is limited. The roped off area is too far away from the players.

Food is plentiful. Breakfast is great, lunch and dinner is average quality but plentiful. Deserts is great! I reckon I've put on 1-2 kilos already after just a short stay so far. Sentiments voiced by other families too!

Weather has been beautiful. Besides the rain on the first day we got here, it's been great - about 20 degrees plus/minus a couple. Morning and evenings are cool but once the sun comes up, it's been blue skies. Water is very clear and those brave enough to swim in the sea, the beach is wonderful. Plenty of park, beach, pool, to explore and do. The sole table tennis at the hotel has been occupied whenever there is enough light to play.

There are lots of photos in the website (http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/)and perhaps might even spot mua standing in the sidelines. Here's a few I took in Day 1 (more in the other chat forum - my allocation is bigger there).

frankablanca
22-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the update Mike. And best wishes to our young players.

Frank

Z&MLoh
23-10-2010, 10:46 AM
We are continuing to improve as Michael Addamo and Abbie Kanagarajah won their games yesterday. Everyone's got a score on the board now. Young Rowan also added to his first round win. Unfortunately Miranda and Zach ran into tough opposition. Zach lost a drawish position trying to push for a win. He didn't get into a good position after the opening, played some good moves to get within a sniff of a win, declined an offer for a draw, placed his bishop incorrectly and ended up losing in 4 hours. :wall:

Everybody is trying hard to get 50% by today's round before the double round Sunday. Pairings for Round 4 are:

4 23 37 SLO Globevnik Gregor 2 2 Willathgamuwa Kevin AUS 113 Boys U08
4 24 114 AUS Willathgamuwa Rowan 2 2 Gok Ozan Berkay TUR 38 Boys U08
4 46 96 AUS Loh Zachary 1 1 Blandon Luis Guillermo COL 35 Boys U12
4 50 82 SUI Skouvaklis Alexis 1 1 Addamo Michael AUS 112 Boys U16
4 36 53 MGL Yanjinlkham Bayarsaikhan 1 1 Kanagarajah Abbie AUS 72 Girls U14
4 42 82 AUS Webb-Liddle Miranda ˝ ˝ Krumova Ani BUL 52 Girls U16

I sort of jinxed the weather yesterday by saying it's been blue skies so far. Yesterday the clouds promptly rolled in and was a bit cooler. However, the air-conditioning in the huge competition hall continues to struggle under the strain of a thousand heat-generating bodies in the room. Other tidbits: Saw game finished in 15 mins in the Under-12 Open and it wasn't a 4 move checkmate!

Mike

MichaelBaron
23-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Tough day in the office for our Aussie kids but there was a surprise package also. Our older boys and girls didn't fare so well but Rowan and Kevin Willathgamuwas won their games against Russian kids. I'll post some photos later.

Mike
wow, well-done!:clap:

Watto
23-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks Mike for all the reports. Best of luck to our players for the rest of the tournament! :)

Z&MLoh
24-10-2010, 01:34 PM
The team continues to face tough opposition with some success. Kevin is leading the charge and doing it with a cheeky smile. Elder brother Rowan is keeping in contact with his brother with 2 points. Michael Addamo can't catch any slack at all. Todate, he's faced 3 players over 2000 in the 4 rounds. Yesterday, Zach drew with 89th ranked player in the world Under-12 ranking. But he needed to brush up on the proper protocol for accepting draws. Zach's had 2 players over 2000 and one 1900. The girls are doing it tough also. Poor Miranda has had 4 players over 1900, two of them over 2000.

Today is going to be a tough one with 1 round at 9 and another at 4. We'll have to shorten the coached preparation to about 30 mins for both of these rounds. Hopefully they'll be fresh enough for the second match.

This page summarises the results very well. Check it out. http://chess-results.com/tnr39338.aspx?art=25&fedb=AUS&lan=1&fed=AUS&flag=30&m=-1&wi=1000

Mike

Z&MLoh
24-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Running out of the essentials like socks and underwear, I figured I needed to start thinking about washing. Let's see @ 6 Euros per pants, socks @ 2 Euros, undergarment @ 2 Euros, it was a no-brainer that I needed to go out somewhere to find an alternative. For that price, I could buy new clothes! Fortunately the Olympic Hall, where the competitions are held, is located in a marina. There are a few small shops selling clothing and souvenirs and stuff. More importantly, there is a mini supermarket selling washing powder, among other things, and a launderette next to it. Perfect. Which washing powder though? And there are all in 1-2 kilo bags. The machines in the launderette are all front loaders but which of these powders is for front loaders? I can honestly say "it's all Greek to me" because all the instructions are in Greek obviously! Green bag - must be good for the environment, also not too expensive. A lady standing next to me was doing the same. I asked her which powder is suitable and she replied in what sounded like a Scandinavian language (I'm guessing). That didn't help. Anyway went with the green bag and went back to the launderette to check out the machines and dryers. They cost 2 Euros per wash and 2 Euros per dry and they only take 50 cent pieces. Had to go to a couple of shops before I managed to get the 4 euros in 50 cent pieces. Catering for the tourists, there were instructions in a couple of languages on the wall, English was one of them. It's always easier if someone shows you how and fortunately, a South African lady was kind enough to help. Her son is playing in the Under-10. Clothes came out from the washing machine intact and in its original colour and dried without shrinking. Mission accomplished.

Our team has started playing in the morning match. Being the first of 2 morning matches (the other being on the last day), I expected some stragglers. Funny enough, almost all the stragglers are of the older variety - Under-16's and Under-18's. Perhaps expected. Didn't see any problems with the Under-12's and there a couple late for the Under-14's. Default time is 30 mins so no issue there. The organisers have finally figured out how to clear the hall of parents, visitors and other onlookers. (Only federation delegates allowed). The easiest being to open more doors. I think it was in Day 2 when they had this queue of people trying to get out of 1 door. It took a while. Others deliberately took this opportunity to stay back so that they can take a few more photos. Once the hall is clear of non-participants in the competition, the organisers tie up the other doors with plastic tape, leaving only one door. I am sure there is some fire code violation somewhere if this was in Australia.

Breakfast prior to the match this morning was like Burke Street including a few security personnel (some looked like security guards but others had police insignia). The moment the restaurant opened at 7:30PM, the place was filled. There was no problem with food supply; kitchen was very efficient. But I'm not sure how long I can stand with the standard buffet breakfast and for that matter, lunch and dinner. Need variety...

Outside the Under-8 and Under-10 playing hall in the Meliton Hotel, throngs of parents are waiting for their kids. Chatting in all sorts of languages, doing stuff on the laptop (internet is too slow though) - anything to pass the time. Fortunately the matches usually don't take very long.

Tomorrow is rest day. No plans at the moment. Might chill out at the beach or rent a bike. I was going to take the tour to some mountain and check out the local market but there weren’t enough people for the tour to go ahead.

peter_parr
25-10-2010, 01:39 PM
A report appears today in the SMH (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2010.htm).

Z&MLoh
25-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow, everything happened yesterday.

Saw a girl collapsed while playing chess. She was in the Under-14 division, I think. Took about 15 min to revive her. Fortunately there was medical assistance almost immediately. I think it was a couple of parents. Later when the girl had revived about 30 mins later, a person with a couple of black bags arrived. He didn't have an ambulance uniform or anything like that. Anyway, the girl got on her feet eventually and was helped out of the hall. Not sure if her game was a win to her opponent or forfeit or what. The funny part was that they got the girl out of the playing area and placed her next to the main exit door. This was just the excuse all the rubber-neckers needed to stop on the way out to have a look or have a look on the way in. Anyway crowd built up and the organiser had to raise his voice a couple of times to ask everyone to move away.

Zach said he saw a Under-12 kid puked in the playing hall. The kid was trying to tell the arbiter but the arbiter couldn't understand. Then it all came out! This morning when I was checking the Under-12 pairings, I noticed on the official website that there was a match replay in the Under-12 girls so their pairings won't be out until this afternoon.

Time to regroup. A day off to rest and calm the mind for the next battle. The team standings are:

SNo Name Rtg FED 1 2 3 4 5 6 Pts. Rk. Group
113 Willathgamuwa Kevin 0 AUS 1 1 0 1 0 1 4,0 23 Boys U08
114 Willathgamuwa Rowan 0 AUS 1 0 1 0 0 1 3,0 65 Boys U08
96 Loh Zachary 1711 AUS 0 1 0 ˝ ˝ 1 3,0 89 Boys U12
112 Addamo Michael 1860 AUS 0 0 1 ˝ 0 0 1,5 126 Boys U16
72 Kanagarajah Abbie 1644 AUS 0 0 1 ˝ 0 1 2,5 74 Girls U14
82 Webb-Liddle Miranda 1467 AUS 0 ˝ 0 0 ˝ 0 1,0 93 Girls U16
Need to treat the second half as a new 5-round competition. Until tomorrow...

Mike

Z&MLoh
27-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Pretty deflating day. We only scored 2.5 points with wins to Michael, Rowan and draw for Miranda. Zach was paired up with Nikita Ayvazyan, a Russian player with rating of 1957, who played in the Australian Juniors Under-18 2 years ago. Zach didn't have a good game... Rowan and Kevin are playing catch with each other. They are now on 4 points each. Next round, Michael again faces a 2100 player. It is tough in the age group. Abbie lost yesterday but today faces a player with higher ranking!

Bo. No. Name Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Rtg No. Group
23 35 IRI Ghesmati Aryan 0 4 4 Willathgamuwa Kevin 0 AUS 113 Boys U08
26 44 SVK Haring Filip 0 4 4 Willathgamuwa Rowan 0 AUS 114 Boys U08
59 96 AUS Loh Zachary 1711 3 3 Valitov Eldar 0 RUS 153 Boys U12
55 112 AUS Addamo Michael 1860 2˝ 2˝ Paltrinieri Nicholas 2115 ITA 73 Boys U16
37 25 COL Loaiza Yurani 1899 2˝ 2˝ Kanagarajah Abbie 1644 AUS 72 Girls U14
45 82 AUS Webb-Liddle Miranda 1467 1˝ 1˝ Robba Barbara 0 SLO 93 Girls U16

Mike

ER
27-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Pretty deflating day. We only scored 2.5 points with wins to Michael, Rowan and draw for Miranda. Zach was paired up with Nikita Ayvazyan, a Russian player with rating of 1957, who played in the Australian Juniors Under-18 2 years ago. Zach didn't have a good game... Rowan and Kevin are playing catch with each other. They are now on 4 points each. Next round, Michael again faces a 2100 player. It is tough in the age group. Abbie lost yesterday but today faces a player with higher ranking!

Don't worry about them, our boys and girls are tough! They might be a bit down but not out! They might be bent a bit but never broken!
Thanks for the great reports Michael! :)

C'mon Aussies!!!!

Vlad
28-10-2010, 12:16 AM
...Zach was paired up with Nikita Ayvazyan, a Russian player with rating of 1957, who played in the Australian Juniors Under-18 2 years ago. Zach didn't have a good game... Mike

Nikita was the European under 8 champion 3 years ago. He is coached by famous Russian coach A. Nikitin (first coach of Kasparov).

Z&MLoh
28-10-2010, 10:23 AM
The young Willathgamuwas are leading the charge with wins by both brothers. Michael Addamo defeated an Italian player (Paltrinieri, Nicholas) with rating 2115 . :Clap: Miranda also got her win :Clap: But Zach and Abbie both lost; Zach was in a winning position :Frusty:

Tomorrow's draw:

9 15 113 AUS Willathgamuwa Kevin 0 5 5 Gurvich Vitaly 0 RUS 41 Open U08
9 13 114 AUS Willathgamuwa Rowan 0 5 5 Matos Balint 1551 HUN 12 Open U08
9 61 125 CAN Doknjas John 0 3 3 Loh Zachary 1711 AUS 96 Open U12
9 48 112 AUS Addamo Michael 1860 3˝ 3˝ Miller Eduard 2110 GER 74 Open U16
9 43 72 AUS Kanagarajah Abbie 1644 2˝ 2˝ Krassnitzer Maria 0 AUT 89 Girls U14
9 42 82 AUS Webb-Liddle Miranda 1467 2˝ 2˝ Popadic Milica 1598 BIH 78 Girls U16

Huge thunderstorm outside. Signing off! Ooops, power just went off.

Mike

Basil
28-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Caaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrnnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!

Adamski
29-10-2010, 11:44 AM
i am about to board the plane to thessaloniki from athens.
Good luck to Chess Chatters Michael and Miranda (France based this year) and to the whole team. Great to see the 2 young brothers from Sydney doing so well - beating Russian kids - how cool is that! I have played both young "W" boys, Kevin ad Rowan, earlier this year and actually won both games - but they should not be underestimated! One of those games I should have lost! I don't think their oponents will be underestimating them now. Carrn evin and Rowan!

And of course, the very best of luck to the NZ representatives! Are there any? I can't see any reference to WYCC on http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/

Adamski
29-10-2010, 12:24 PM
And of course, the very best of luck to the NZ representatives! Are there any? I can't see any reference to WYCC on http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/
To answer my own question, I just checked http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/wycc-2010-open-u16-participants/. NZ does not appear in the list of countries. :(

Kevin Bonham
29-10-2010, 12:31 PM
To answer my own question, I just checked http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/wycc-2010-open-u16-participants/. NZ does not appear in the list of countries. :(

NZL does though! These are the New Zealand participants (scores, placings, divisions on right)

17 Alphaeus Wei Ern Ang 0 NZL 0 0 1 1 0 ˝ 1 1 ˝ 5,0 53 Open U08
70 Muhammad H.A.H.Shuhaimi 0 NZL 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 ˝ 0 2,5 115 Open U08
154 Yao Winston Yow-Jen 0 NZL 0 1 ˝ 0 1 0 0 ˝ ˝ 3,5 122 Open U10
29 Halim Farhana 0 NZL 1 0 ˝ 1 0 ˝ 0 0 0 3,0 66 Girls U08
44 Dong Olivia 0 NZL 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 ˝ 2,5 99 Girls U10
89 Halim Izzah 0 NZL 0 0 1 0 0 ˝ ˝ ˝ ˝ 3,0 103 Girls U12

All the New Zelanders are unrated so their seedings are based on alphabetical ordering by surname. Hence it is to be expected that Alphaeus is performing below "seeding" in the Open U08 (where most entrants are unrated) while Yao is performing above "seeding" in the Open U10.

It's really hard to say how to evaluate performances when virtually everyone the NZ players is playing is unrated!

Adamski
29-10-2010, 12:38 PM
You are right, KB. I realised that the page I was looking at was just the U 16 Open.

Good luck to the Kiwis!

Z&MLoh
29-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Well, yesterday was an interesting day. As I said in my last post, power went out early morning yesterday with a tremendous thunderstorm. It affected the "local area", the extend of which is unclear. The inclement weather stuck around the whole day and with only partial power restored using backup generators, there was not much to do. There were a couple of power points powered by the backup generators and people just swarmed to them like bees to honey. Otherwise, you conserved laptop battery power. I checked with the organising management and they said that the show will go on. They have backup generators for the playing halls. The kitchen staff did well to cope with the onslaught of people for breakfast and lunch. My bread roll was slightly burnt on the bottom :-) At about 2:10PM, power came back on to a round of applause from the full dining hall. I later found out that Sithonia Hotel did not get their power restored until another 2 hours later.

During the competition, I saw the Chief Arbiter came into the room in a huff. He then made some gestures to the other arbiters in the room and moments later the hall was plunged into darkness. Fortunately, it came on pretty much immediately and there were no complaints of extra pieces suddenly finding their way onto the chess board :-) The air-conditioning was turned off so the room got pretty warm and humid. There were rumours that "they" weren't sure if there was enough electricity to go around; there is a desalination plant nearby. Conditions got a bit unbearably and the air-conditioning got turned on finally.

Chess-wise, it was a day to forget for the Australian team. We only managed 2 draws and 4 losses. The competition has shown how far behind the world, the Australian junior chess scene is, in major FIDE tournaments. Obviously there have been a small number of individual successes but they have been few and far between. The South Africans are self-funded but they managed to get 30-40 kids every year. The Canadians give $1000 to their top player in each age group and they have a major tournament to select and give the players much needed competition before WYCC.

Tomorrow is the last day for competition so this may be my last post for WYCC. Overall, even though we did not get the success we sought, the camaraderie has been great between the players and parents. GM David Arutinian has been a good coach. The kids like him and even got to mimic his mannerisms like "You play zhis move...whyyyyy?". There is a nice bond between the coach and his players. He's spoken of wanting to come out to Australia in the near future. Unfortunately, he needs to string together a couple of competitions and maybe coaching in between to make it worthwhile. And he needs a bit of notice because the nearest consulate or embassy for him is in Turkey.

And to the people I've met and chatted with while waiting for the games to find, it has been nice making your acquaintance. The conversations may be mono syllabic and with hand gestures but we still enjoyed each others company. Before I forget, the South Africans talked about a Tri-nations of chess involving South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. We might be able to beat New Zealand in that competition rather that the oval ball :-) Anyone interested in being the contact?

Till next time...

Mike

Basil
29-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the reporting Mike.

Z&MLoh
30-10-2010, 03:38 AM
Much better day today with wins to Zach and Abbie. All others had draws. Last round tomorrow. Let's hope we can go out with a bang.

Mike

Oepty
30-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Thank you for your reports Mike, been excellent. Good to see that the group had an excellent day today, hopefully can do well in the last round
Scott

Adamski
30-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you for your reports Mike, been excellent. Good to see that the group had an excellent day today, hopefully can do well in the last round
Scott
So say all of us

Basil
30-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Caaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrnnnnnnn !!!!!!!!!!

MichaelBaron
30-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, yesterday was an interesting day. As I said in my last post, power went out early morning yesterday with a tremendous thunderstorm. It affected the "local area", the extend of which is unclear. The inclement weather stuck around the whole day and with only partial power restored using backup generators, there was not much to do. There were a couple of power points powered by the backup generators and people just swarmed to them like bees to honey. Otherwise, you conserved laptop battery power. I checked with the organising management and they said that the show will go on. They have backup generators for the playing halls. The kitchen staff did well to cope with the onslaught of people for breakfast and lunch. My bread roll was slightly burnt on the bottom :-) At about 2:10PM, power came back on to a round of applause from the full dining hall. I later found out that Sithonia Hotel did not get their power restored until another 2 hours later.

During the competition, I saw the Chief Arbiter came into the room in a huff. He then made some gestures to the other arbiters in the room and moments later the hall was plunged into darkness. Fortunately, it came on pretty much immediately and there were no complaints of extra pieces suddenly finding their way onto the chess board :-) The air-conditioning was turned off so the room got pretty warm and humid. There were rumours that "they" weren't sure if there was enough electricity to go around; there is a desalination plant nearby. Conditions got a bit unbearably and the air-conditioning got turned on finally.

Chess-wise, it was a day to forget for the Australian team. We only managed 2 draws and 4 losses. The competition has shown how far behind the world, the Australian junior chess scene is, in major FIDE tournaments. Obviously there have been a small number of individual successes but they have been few and far between. The South Africans are self-funded but they managed to get 30-40 kids every year. The Canadians give $1000 to their top player in each age group and they have a major tournament to select and give the players much needed competition before WYCC.

Tomorrow is the last day for competition so this may be my last post for WYCC. Overall, even though we did not get the success we sought, the camaraderie has been great between the players and parents. GM David Arutinian has been a good coach. The kids like him and even got to mimic his mannerisms like "You play zhis move...whyyyyy?". There is a nice bond between the coach and his players. He's spoken of wanting to come out to Australia in the near future. Unfortunately, he needs to string together a couple of competitions and maybe coaching in between to make it worthwhile. And he needs a bit of notice because the nearest consulate or embassy for him is in Turkey.

And to the people I've met and chatted with while waiting for the games to find, it has been nice making your acquaintance. The conversations may be mono syllabic and with hand gestures but we still enjoyed each others company. Before I forget, the South Africans talked about a Tri-nations of chess involving South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. We might be able to beat New Zealand in that competition rather that the oval ball :-) Anyone interested in being the contact?

Till next time...

Mike

Mike, thank you very much for your great reports.:clap:

I think the Australian players have done OK given the fact that the team was self-funded.

If we want better results we need to send our strongest team and this is impossible without making the funding available. Also, players need to recieve extensive coaching not only during the event but also while preparing for it. Chess needs money!
Unfortunately we have to accept

Z&MLoh
30-10-2010, 11:07 PM
The trials and tribulations are finally over. We had a fair day with 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses. The final standings look like this (without the ranking):

AUS
SNo Name Rtg FED 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Pts. Rk. Group
113 Willathgamuwa Kevin 0 AUS 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 ˝ ˝ 1 7,0 Open U08
114 Willathgamuwa Rowan 0 AUS 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 ˝ 1 6,5 Open U08
96 Loh Zachary 1711 AUS 0 1 0 ˝ ˝ 1 0 0 0 1 1 5,0 Open U12
112 Addamo Michael 1860 AUS 0 0 1 ˝ 0 0 1 1 0 ˝ 0 4,0 Open U16
72 Kanagarajah Abbie 1644 AUS 0 0 1 ˝ 0 1 0 0 0 1 ˝ 4,0 Girls U14
82 Webb-Liddle Miranda 1467 AUS 0 ˝ 0 0 ˝ 0 ˝ 1 ˝ ˝ 0 3,5 Girls U16

Kevin Bonham
30-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks very much Mike for the reports.

Z&MLoh
31-10-2010, 10:35 AM
The mass exodus began yesterday afternoon even before the closing ceremony. Most of the people will leave the resort today with multiple trips to Thessaloniki Airport via multiple buses for each trip. The organisers have assured everyone that there will be enough buses for each trip. We shall see… As I am typing, I can hear voices in the lobby from my hotel room of the people getting ready for the 3AM trip to the airport.

Yesterday’s closing ceremony was a bit of a debacle. It started well enough with slideshow of photos from the tournament followed by speeches by local and state dignitaries, sponsors, etc. Then there was a cultural show of Greek dances followed by the award presentation for each age group. Eight prizes were awarded for each age group. When the winners for the first group were announced a gaggle (?) of people, with still cameras or video cameras in hand, swarmed the open space between the stage and the where the dignitaries and the rest of the audience were sitting. For the rest of the evening, the audience, sitting in a semi-circle around the stage, only saw the backs of the photographers and not much of the stage. For an event of such magnitude with 1400 players from 87 countries and a total of 2500 people attending, the stage management should have been better. This was the largest FIDE event ever.

A few last observations:

To the players:
You have tried hard in this tournament for chess success for yourself, your family and your country. We didn’t win any prizes this time and there were days when we thought it couldn’t get any worst but it did. We rue the opportunities lost and admonish ourselves for the games badly played. But through it all you keep going and you didn’t give up. We enjoyed each small success that your efforts afforded us and you ought to be congratulated for that. Now that the event is over, you need to take the lessons learnt and apply them. GM David Arutinian has given you some common threads of what he saw and how you need to resolve those chess issues. You need to act on that advice.

To the parents:
Thank you for your support for the children and for me. It made my job much easier. I’ve enjoyed your company and look forward to our next event including Rio de Janeiro, Slovenia or other Australian chess events.

To GM David Arutinian:
Thank you for your professionalism. We got through the event, even with the double-round day, without any complaints. The players have formed a close bond with you during the event and we hope that you will be able to come to Australia to meet up with us again. From the team, I can safely say that I hope future Australian teams will consider you as their coach, particularly for European events.

To the Porto Carras Organisers, my score card of the event looks like this:

7/10. Beautiful location and great weather (except for 1 day) but not much to do outside of the resort.

Resort:
8/10. Great rooms with ocean views but that shower curtain (and the wet floor after each shower) really P**S me off!

Meals/food:
6/10. Plentiful but lacked variety.

Internet access:
3/10. Woeful.

Event organisation:
7/10. Even through power outage caused by the freak storm, you managed to work through. The score could have been higher had you issued Certificates of Participation for every player, like in Vung Tau, Vietnam and Antalya, Turkey.

Competition halls:
7/10. We needed more room for the Under-8s and Under-10s. The Olympic Hall was great but space utilisation could be improved to allow greater access for the delegates.

To the players:
9/10. The games were played in great spirit and I didn’t hear of any cheating going on.

To the people who attended the event:
8/10. Made many friends from around the world. However, there are people starving in the rest of the world and for some people to waste the amount of food from the buffet bars is unconscionable.

Final standings:

Rk. FED gold silver bronze Total
1 AZE AZE 3 0 0 3
2 CHN CHN 2 0 0 2
3 USA USA 1 2 0 3
4 POL POL 1 1 1 3
5 KAZ KAZ 1 1 1 3
6 UKR UKR 1 0 1 2
7 MGL MGL 1 0 0 1
8 BLR BLR 1 0 0 1
9 CAN CAN 1 0 0 1
10 IND IND 0 3 3 6

Lastly, I want to thank the people who expressed their well-wishes on both chat forums. We tried our best...

This is Mike Loh signing off from WYCC 2010
(I always wanted to say that :-)

PS
Note to future team managers - remember to bring the Australian flag!

peter_parr
02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
World Youth 2010
Final report in Sydney Morning Herald (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/2010.htm)