PDA

View Full Version : Kārlis Ozols

Manack
10-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Interesting blog post about some Australian chess history.

http://blog.chess.com/batgirl/goose-stepping-down-under

Kevin Bonham
10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
There's a few posts mentioning Ozols scattered around on this board. I think the prevailing view among those who post here is that he was very probably guilty, and while he was indeed a brilliant chess player, it's a shame (whether or not he was guilty) that the charges against him were never properly heard while he was alive.

Denis_Jessop
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
The allegations about Ozols were made publicly in Australia very many years before the 1990s. I remember reading of them in a magazine, the name of which now escapes me, in about the 1970s or earlier. As Kevin says its a pity the matter was not resolved by legal action before Ozols died but it wasn't and so there we are.

DJ

MichaelBaron
12-09-2010, 04:44 PM
All of these Nazi bastards were allowed by the Australian government to die piecefully of old age in their warm beds rather than in prison.

Kevin Bonham
14-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Moderation notice

I've moved Jono's response to the above claiming similarly soft treatment of Stalinists etc, and the subsequent discussion, to the politics section.

Capablanca-Fan
14-09-2010, 01:56 PM
As KB and DJ say, this matter should have been resolved in a court of law. There was a prima facie case that Ozols should have been made to answer, but instead we had a belated trial by public opinion.

Jesse Jager
18-09-2010, 01:16 PM
It will be interesting to see whether the posthumous hearing goes ahead.

McTaggart
04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
All of these Nazi bastards were allowed by the Australian government to die piecefully of old age in their warm beds rather than in prison.

Micheal,
I remember seeing a programme on TV regarding Ozils and it was pretty damning with testimony from members of his own squad confirming that he had participated in the executions . He used his officers hand gun whilst his squad used yjeir rifles. I was present when he was challenged by the late Dr Cymons about his crimes and he replied something along the lines of, " I had to choose between the Nazis and the Communists". Later, when asked a similar question by Chris dePasquale, he mumbled something indicating " what choice did I have?"
Mark Aarons has written a great deal on these beasts,look him up.
Best regards,
John

Capablanca-Fan
14-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Micheal,
I remember seeing a programme on TV regarding Ozils and it was pretty damning with testimony from members of his own squad confirming that he had participated in the executions . He used his officers hand gun whilst his squad used yjeir rifles. I was present when he was challenged by the late Dr Cymons about his crimes and he replied something along the lines of, " I had to choose between the Nazis and the Communists". Later, when asked a similar question by Chris dePasquale, he mumbled something indicating " what choice did I have?"
If so, then that's a lame excuse, because the accusations were not that he joined the Wehrmacht rather than the Red Army, but that he was a mass murder of Soviet and Jewish civilians.

antichrist
14-10-2010, 07:42 PM
If so, then that's a lame excuse, because the accusations were not that he joined the Wehrmacht rather than the Red Army, but that he was a mass murder of Soviet and Jewish civilians.

on news 2nite about the Holocaust photo exhibition it was revealed that a Jewish lady had "no choice" but to tatoo those ID numbers on her fellow Jews. They were crazy times that should teach us to be very aware of long term consequences of our actions singularly and collectively

FM_Bill
25-10-2010, 06:58 PM
There was a movie 'Father' made in Melbourne in 1990 with the Swedish actor Max Von Sydow about a former law student, war criminal on the run, who could have been Ozols.

I may have mentioned in another thread that Ozols looked like the Doctor Who character Davros, the evil creator of the daleks.

Ideally, all suspected war criminals in Australia should have been rounded up in the late 40s, early 50s.

ER
30-10-2010, 12:01 AM
More interesting stuff re Ozols (authored by IM Robert Jamieson) in the latest ON THE MOVE!
http://chessclub.com.au/category/on-the-move/

Adamski
30-10-2010, 09:37 PM
More interesting stuff re Ozols (authored by IM Robert Jamieson) in the latest ON THE MOVE!
http://chessclub.com.au/category/on-the-move/
Kudos to David Beaumont, IM Robert Jamieson and friends, as that is an excelent issue. Good article on the chess side of Ozols, less on the Nazi war criminal side, though the blog that started that thread leads me to think Ozols must have been guilty of horrendous crimes against Jews. :(

The whole publication is very high quality.:clap:

Kevin Bonham
30-10-2010, 09:39 PM
I think you mean David Cordover!

Adamski
30-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I think you mean David Cordover!
LOL, yes, you are correct Kevin. (You often are!)
Been reading too many threads about that other lot...

ER
30-10-2010, 10:12 PM
...The whole publication is very high quality.:clap:

Glad you enjoyed it Jonathan, hard copies of ON THE MOVE are to be found in all Chess tournaments in every venue in Victoria, (those that I have been anyway). I enjoyed mine yesterday before the MCC Cup tournament started!

Adamski
30-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Jonathan, hard copies of ON THE MOVE are to be found in all Chess tournaments in every venue in Victoria, (those that I have been anyway). I enjoyed mine yesterday before the MCC Cup tournament started!
And I am glad that you were able to make it to play in this tournament. How did you go in Round 3?

ER
30-10-2010, 11:06 PM
And I am glad that you were able to make it to play in this tournament. How did you go in Round 3?

I lost a very entertaining game! :) The atmosphere here is great, people have great fun. Tomorrow I am playing vs a very talented Box Hill Chess Club junior, I am expecting a sharp battle! :)