PDA

View Full Version : Open Office

Basil
10-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) Highly recommended. Downloaded this free suite of products (essentially Microsoft Office Suite) for nix. Glitch-free as far as I can tell. Fully compatible with the MS software. Do it.

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Very useful if you don't have Microsoft Office 2007 and people keep sending you .docx files, because it can read those.

ER
10-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) Highly recommended. Downloaded this free suite of products (essentially Microsoft Office Suite) for nix. Glitch-free as far as I can tell. Fully compatible with the MS software. Do it.

Thanks Howie, looks great! :)

Desmond
10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Yup it's good. Not as good as the genuine article, but for home users I couldn't justify the extra cost.

ER
10-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I installed it in one of my laptops, it works OK with the Windows Vista... I haven't tried it with the Mac yet though! I still use the ancient 10.4 intel works ok!

Rincewind
10-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Very useful if you don't have Microsoft Office 2007 and people keep sending you .docx files, because it can read those.

You should be able to download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats to address this issue.

William AS
11-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Have been using Open Office for several years with no problems [also have Microsoft Office] and it opens almost every type of file known. Microsoft Office is more powerful and probably better for professional power users but Open Office is easier for most home, small business and school users, plus it is free!!! Value for money it is a case of no contest! Microsoft power users also benefit as Microsoft Office is now less expensive.

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2010, 01:21 AM
You should be able to download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats to address this issue.

Do you need to still have registration info to install those?

Rincewind
11-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Do you need to still have registration info to install those?

I suspect you need a valid licensed install of Office (sub 2007 is fine of course). I have Office XP and it all works fine. I also have Open Office particularly for my son who has an Ubuntu system.

Denis_Jessop
11-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I have been using Open Office for several years. There is also an almost identical program using the same source for the Mac only called Neo Office. Both these will read MS documents and also save documents in a wide variety of formats. I find MS Office for the Mac to be rather inferior at least, MS Word. It used to be good but the current version is not. MS Office 2011 for the Mac is apparently in preparation.

DJ

Igor_Goldenberg
12-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Open Office is good (and free!) alternative to Ms Office, I first came across it almost ten years ago). Ms Office is still better, though (especially if you don't have to pay for it:D ), even though Open Office might've caught up.
I am surprise Gunner likes Open Office, as it's not an Apple product ;) ;) :D

Garvinator
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
One of the best features of Open Office is being able to export to pdf.

Rincewind
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM

There are other ways of doing this. On Macs print to pdf seems to be standard. On Windows there are free PDF print drivers (like Bullzip). So if you already have MSOffice getting one of these drivers is a smaller change than installing OpenOffice just for the export to PDF feature.

Igor_Goldenberg
12-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Ms Office does it as well (but I am not sure what was the first version to support it).

ER
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I am surprise Gunner likes Open Office, as it's not an Apple product ;) ;) :D
hehe, you don't know Gunner well, OO is considered as being a serious opposition to the other side! ;) So, it's like an alliance against the common enemy! :P

Garvinator
13-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Ms Office does it as well (but I am not sure what was the first version to support it).And if a person does not have MS Office?

Denis_Jessop
13-08-2010, 01:57 PM
And if a person does not have MS Office?

I think that quite a few word processing programs now allow exportation of documents as PDF. I currently have, on my Mac, Open Office, Neo Office, Mellel, Schreiben, My Writings (Schreiben's successor) and Text Edit. All allow export of documents as PDF.

DJ

Igor_Goldenberg
13-08-2010, 03:44 PM
And if a person does not have MS Office?
(S)he:
1. Blames Microsoft for all the evil in the world, then
2. Praises Apple for superiors products, then
3. Tells everyone he is only going to use Linux and then, finally
4. Installs Open Office on his Windows XP and gets the job done.

Garvinator
13-08-2010, 08:34 PM
(S)he:
1. Blames Microsoft for all the evil in the world, then
2. Praises Apple for superiors products, then
3. Tells everyone he is only going to use Linux and then, finally
4. Installs Open Office on his Windows XP and gets the job done.
I only meet number 4 in that lot ;)