PDA

View Full Version : 2010 World Juniors in Chotowa, Czarna, Poland

siow, weng nian
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
The 2010 World Juniors (U20) begins tomorrow, 2nd August until the 17th August. The official website is here (http://www.wjcc2010.pl/en). For historical perspective and list of previous junior champions see Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Junior_Chess_Championship).

Round 1 is on 3rd August. Live games are here (http://online1.internetdsl.pl/) (Open) and here (http://online2.internetdsl.pl/) (Girls). Chessdom is also carrying the games with real-time computer analysis at ChessBomb here (http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/).

The list of participants in the Girls is here (http://www.chessarbiter.to.pl/turnieje/t_3906/list_of_players.html). There are 6 WGMs, 1 IM, 12 WIMs, 23 WFMs and a total of 85 players from 45 federations. Slovenia IM Anna Muzychuk is top seed but watch out for second seed, Peruvian WGM Cori Deysi (whose brother is also playing in the Open). My tip of dark horses are Indian WIM Padmini Rout, seeded 11th and USA WIM Alisa Melekhina, coming off a tough US Women Championships.

Australia's rep is WFM and 2010 Woman Chess Olympian Emma Guo seeded 65th and Tamzin Oliver, seeded 80th. Also some of you may recognise WGM Anya Corke now playing for England seeded 14th.

The list of participants in the Open is here (http://www.chessarbiter.to.pl/turnieje/t_3905/list_of_players.html). There are 18 GMs, 34 IMs and 26 FMs and a total of 127 juniors (but no girl junior this year) from 57 chess federations. Average Elo is 2323! Top seed is GM Dmitry Andreikin, fresh off the plane from Biel Young GM tournament. My tip is on GM Sana Sjugirov and possibly GM Jon Ludvig Hammer (Hammertime!!) Watch out for the cute factor in seed 11, the IM with no vowels in his family name, Illya Nyzhnyk (13+ yo). The dark horse I think is Indian IM Sethuraman Panayappan Sethuraman who had some really good results in the recent months (second (http://www.somovs-memorial.ru/table_e.html) at the 2010 VIII World Youth Stars (http://www.somovs-memorial.ru/index_e.html), and equal second at CZECH Open 2010 "PARDUBICE OPEN" GM A tournament (http://chess-results.com/tnr36124.aspx?art=1&rd=9&lan=1&flag=30&m=-1&wi=1000)).

Australia's rep is ACT junior, Sherab Guo-Yuthok (seeded 121). But keep an eye and cheer on an almost honorary Australian, Polish junior GM Dariusz Swiercz (seeded 26th). Also Singaporean IM-elect Daniel Fernandez is seeded 56th.

siow, weng nian
06-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Quick note: Round 3 was good for the Guo siblings as they both won their games to break the duck.

Oepty
07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Round 4 was even better with Aussies scoring 3/3. Tamzin Oliver picked up her first win beating a higher rated opponent, Emma Guo beat an unrated South African but it was Sherab Guo-Yuthok who scored the big upset. He followed is defeat of a 200 point higher rated player in round 3 by defeating 300 point higher rated player, 2277 rated Belgium Maarten Larmuseau. Excellent results and hopefully they can continue.
Scott

Oepty
08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Round 5 was also fairly successful for the Aussies. Tamzin Oliver drew with a higher rated player, while Sherab lost to an IM. However Emma Guo continued her winning run to go to 3/5 by beating a higher rated opponent. She will be playing Moldovan player Diana Baciu, rated 2127. I think the game will be broadcast as the first 25 boards are being displayed and Emma is on board 18.
Scott

Witty
17-08-2010, 12:34 AM
What a great tournament, great to see the top seed win it.

Results here (http://www.chessarbiter.to.pl/turnieje/t_3905/final_standings&12.html)

I may be a bit bias, however i have to say the Pols ran a great tournament, with no interuption in the live streaming and results updated as players won, lost or drew.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
17-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Pity that lack of funding did not allow Australians to field its best players. We need to support our top hopefuls. We got likes of Bobby Cheng, James Morris etc but we are represented by 1975 rated player.
However, well done to our representatives who tried their best :clap:

ER
17-08-2010, 02:30 PM
What a great tournament, ....
I may be a bit bias, however i have to say the Pols ran a great tournament, ...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

It was expected, the Poles have a great tradition in Chess Tournament organisation! They were running top events when other countries didn't even know what Chess was!

Pity that lack of funding did not allow Australians to field its best players. We need to support our top hopefuls. We got likes of Bobby Cheng, James Morris etc but we are represented by 1975 rated player.
However, well done to our representatives who tried their best

I 'd be very careful in referring to specific names, since apart from the undisputable talents of the players you named there are other juniors whose inclusion could strengthen the Australian line-ups even further.

However, I agree with the essence of your message.

Let's face it! In Chess matters, Australia is a third world country, altough I don't know of many third world countries who'd rely upon public fund raisers in order to send their representatives to Olympiads, World Championships and other important events.

I strongly believe that our Chess community with the encouragement and support of ACF and State authorities is strong enough to financially support our representation in international events. All it takes is an additional $5.00 to the entry fee of our tournaments! Think about it!

Denis_Jessop
17-08-2010, 05:10 PM
However, well done to our representatives who tried their best :clap:

Are you sure that lack of funding was the reason others did not go? For players under 18 the World Youth Championships are more popular because of the large numbers and team spirit (including such things as a team jacket) and a more realistic chance of a satisfying result.

DJ

Witty
17-08-2010, 05:45 PM
But keep an eye and cheer on an almost honorary Australian, Polish junior GM Dariusz Swiercz begin_of_the_skype_highlighting*****end_of_the_sky pe_highlighting

Great 3rd Place and a nice win in the final round :)

that Caesar guy
17-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Are you sure that lack of funding was the reason others did not go? For players under 18 the World Youth Championships are more popular because of the large numbers and team spirit (including such things as a team jacket) and a more realistic chance of a satisfying result.

DJ
Well I certainly would have gone if we could afford it...but without funding it is slightly harder...:doh:

MichaelBaron
17-08-2010, 07:03 PM

DJ

Serious kids have smarter goals by the time they reach 18-19 rather than getting a team jacket :). 1975 is not even in top 10 in Australia!

Denis_Jessop
17-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Serious kids have smarter goals by the time they reach 18-19 rather than getting a team jacket :). 1975 is not even in top 10 in Australia!

You missed the point Michael. My post referred to u18 players so you weren't at all smart with your attempt at humour just plain wrong. :evil:

DJ

ER
17-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I think, somehow, some of us are missing the point here! Why? the following statement says it all!

Well I certainly would have gone if we could afford it...but without funding it is slightly harder...:doh:

and let me repeat

I strongly believe that our Chess community with the encouragement and support of ACF and State authorities is strong enough to financially support our representation in international events. All it takes is an additional $5.00 to the entry fee of our tournaments! Think about it!

In the above I am including members of our Men and Women Olympic teams as well as one male and one female representative for the Junior World Championships!

Garvinator
17-08-2010, 10:14 PM
With all this talk about how well other countries players are funded, I would love to see how serious all this funding really is by having the world juniors or world youth here in Australia.

Then we would really find out whether there are a lot more players from 'those' countries because they are funded better, or because they have more desire to participate.

ER
17-08-2010, 11:04 PM
... I would love to see how serious all this funding really is by having the world juniors or world youth here in Australia...

Don't just dream about it, we have people with guts like Mssrs Amir Karibasic, Charles Bishop, Brian Jones, Graham Gardiner and Grant Szuveges (just to name a few) who have proven thay they are able to organise major Chess Events or have the inspiration to do so. The real question is are we, as Chess community, ready to stand by them and face the music?

MichaelBaron
17-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I just can not believe that there is no sponsorship....asking people to donate 5 bucks here and there is not a way to fund a youth squad.

ER
18-08-2010, 02:58 AM
I just can not believe that there is no sponsorship....asking people to donate 5 bucks here and there is not a way to fund a youth squad.

Is not a donation... the way it works now sis a donation... and it's not here and there, concentrate in what other people have to say and don't just butt in with nonsensical statements!

MichaelBaron
18-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Is not a donation... the way it works now sis a donation... and it's not here and there, concentrate in what other people have to say and don't just butt in with nonsensical statements!

The only way to arrange proper funding is via sponsorship. You can call it ''junior chess development levy'' if you like ..but 5 bucks are always going to be nothing but 5 bucks! there are better ways of obtaining funding rather than getting everyone to foot the bill.

Garvinator
18-08-2010, 12:26 PM
The only way to arrange proper funding is via sponsorship. You can call it ''junior chess development levy'' if you like ..but 5 bucks are always going to be nothing but 5 bucks! there are better ways of obtaining funding rather than getting everyone to foot the bill.
And of course you are going to help with gaining this sponsorship, right?

Alana
18-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Same here with the whole can't-afford-it thing. But I am hoping to go next year as it is the last year I am eligible for a junior tournament!

Brian_Jones
19-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Same here with the whole can't-afford-it thing. But I am hoping to go next year as it is the last year I am eligible for a junior tournament!

The Yulgilbar-Think Big Australian Grand Prix provides 2 x A$1250 to fund two juniors to play in the Malaysian Open each year.

For 2010, IM James Morris will travel and play (starts in two week). FM Max Illingworth was unable to play this year (he has played in previous years) due to exams. Max's money will be reallocated to other players that are able to go.

GM David Smerdon, IM Gary Lane, FM Brian Jones, WFM Emma Guo, Domagoj Dragecevic, Justin Tan and others will also play in 2010.

My question is "What money does the ACF and/or AusJCL allocate to overseas junior travel."

ER
19-08-2010, 03:20 PM
The Yulgilbar-Think Big Australian Grand Prix provides 2 x A$1250 to fund two juniors to play in the Malaysian Open each year.
:clap: :clap: :clap: I never knew that! Congratulations!

For 2010, IM James Morris will travel and play (starts in two week). -ed weeks :clap: :clap: :clap: excellent news, good luck to James!

Libby2
20-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Chess is a low profile sport in Australia. It is only parents of young people in very high profile sports (and whose individual children or their teams are very highly ranked internationally) who do not spend their hours sizzling sausages and selling chocolates to make it happen.

Please show me the example of young people of a similar age, with similar world rankings, in similarly profiled sports that are getting wads of cash tossed at them.

Over $1300 was raised for Emma by a single day of chess in the last school holidays. Kids paid $15 to play and over 40 prizes were given away.

Pre-planning time & effort = about 2-3 hours.

One day of volunteer time required (3x volunteers + Emma).

Less chat and more action guys - stop waiting for someone to give it to you.

ER
20-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Over $1300 was raised for Emma by a single day of chess in the last school holidays.
Brilliant :clap:

Brilliant :clap:

Well I certainly would have gone if we could afford it...but without funding it is slightly harder...
Listen to him, he is the future, he knows! He will represent Australia! :clap: the rest of us can only suggest things!
This is a real, well thought and feasible suggestion

this

Less chat and more action guys - stop waiting for someone to give it to you.
sounds great but could you please expand a little? :hmm:

Libby2
21-08-2010, 01:24 PM
sounds great but could you please expand a little? :hmm:

What would you like? Things I've said here 100 times before?

Last Olympiad I ran a similar day to the one I ran this time for Emma - a very easy $1000+ raised each time.

I raised enought to send my daughter overseas, with her father, from fundraising & sponsorship.

It takes effort to raise money. Running events - interschool, development, national - takes effort. Publicity takes effort. You, me, anyone can provide all the ideas you'd like but someone needs to make the effort and I haven't met too many of those. Some ... just not many.

But I have (unfortunately) met a lot who chat about the effort that should be made, and beliitle the efforts that have been made :wall:

ER
22-08-2010, 05:02 PM
What would you like? Things I've said here 100 times before?
A bit of an exaggeration here? I am a fan, but haven't counted THAT many! :) Thanks for the response!

Last Olympiad I ran a similar day to the one I ran this time for Emma - a very easy $1000+ raised each time.
Excellent! Emma as a player and as personality is an asset for junior Chess and a great ambassador for Australia in her overseas efforts!

I raised enought to send my daughter overseas, with her father, from fundraising & sponsorship.
That's really remarkable!:clap: However, you have to admit some people do not have the charisma or the community exposure, or even the personality required to get out and do things the way you do!

It takes effort to raise money. Running events - interschool, development, national - takes effort. Publicity takes effort. You, me, anyone can provide all the ideas you'd like but someone needs to make the effort and I haven't met too many of those. Some ... just not many.
I participated in one of those community events, (A Melbourne Chess Club sizzle organised by Grant Szuveges) and it was great. I am not as good in organising things but I do participate as a helping hand or by putting my money where my mouth is whenever I can.

But I have (unfortunately) met a lot who chat about the effort that should be made, and beliitle the efforts that have been made :wall:
Well, in your case that sort of belittling didn't do go far since your efforts were successful and the goal was reached! :clap: Keep up the wood work! :)