PDA

View Full Version : Biel main tournament with Aussie leader

redmaster
26-07-2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.bielchessfestival.ch/en/main-tournament/standings

I don't know the gentleman but I think we should take note of a impressive performance so far. The field is 117 and the lone Aussie is on top of all the Swiss players! Obviously the Swiss aren't that good at chess - they should stick with tennis.:D

Kevin Bonham
26-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Andrew Saint is a well-known SA player and organiser. Great stuff! Hopefully he can keep it up.

ER
26-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Obviously the Swiss aren't that good at chess - they should stick with tennis.:D
Well we are using their pairing systems, they must be doing something right! Thanks for the Info about Andrew Saint! :)

Oepty
26-07-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.bielchessfestival.ch/en/main-tournament/standings

I don't know the gentleman but I think we should take note of a impressive performance so far. The field is 117 and the lone Aussie is on top of all the Swiss players! Obviously the Swiss aren't that good at chess - they should stick with tennis.:D

The main tournament is the third tournament - there is a very strong young grandmaster tournament and a Masters Swiss tournament which is strong as well. However Andrew is doing very well and I hope he continues his winning ways. His FIDE rating is a bit of a joke although he did a have a shocker at Doeberl this year.

Oepty
27-07-2010, 07:02 AM
5/5 and the outright lead for Andrew Saint - 2 players on 4.5 followed by a large group on 4.
Scott

redmaster
27-07-2010, 01:09 PM
yes one doesn't need to be a grandmaster to get some encouragement - anyone who can win 5 out of 5 against a quality field deserves some credit. :clap:

Oepty
28-07-2010, 06:58 AM
6/6 and a one point lead for Andrew.
Scott

ER
29-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Make that 7/7 chief :clap: and we play vs this Sommerhalder,Eric 1936 SUI who's on 6!
Good luck!

Kevin Bonham
29-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Nine-round tournament so a win here will ice it while a draw will probably be good enough.

ER
29-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Nine-round tournament so a win here will ice it while a draw will probably be good enough.

yep, haven't seen the cross table though, do you know if the guy we're playing has lost to someone we 've already knocked off?

By the way this "Iceing on the cake" experssion, is used when someone wins it before it ends, or when he/she have already won it but still win the last game without having to?

Kevin Bonham
29-07-2010, 09:00 PM
yep, haven't seen the cross table though, do you know if the guy we're playing has lost to someone we 've already knocked off?

We ?????

Sommerhalder lost in round two to Pellaton who is currently placed midfield on 3.5/7 and has not played Andrew Saint.

ER
29-07-2010, 10:19 PM
We ?????

Sommerhalder lost in round two to Pellaton who is currently placed midfield on 3.5/7 and has not played Andrew Saint.

"We" as in Australia! "We" are behind Andrewl! "We" as in us mob vs them baddies. Have you already started seceding down there? :P thanks for the info!!!

redmaster
30-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes "we" are the aussies and he's on his own there. All the others are Swiss, Germans, Italians etc. It would be so good if he could actually win it.

Looks like he lost a game and has 7/8 - equal leader now ... with the final round to come. C'mon Andrew!:clap:

Adamski
30-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Andrew Saint finished 2nd = on 7 with 3 others behind the Swiss player Sommerhalder who was on 7.5. Still a great effort!