PDA

View Full Version : Olympiad Appeal

Tony Dowden
22-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Any other Kiwi Chess Chatters up for this?!

Tony Dowden
31-07-2010, 06:15 PM
The ACF recently put $3000 into the Aussie Olympiad appeal (now over $8500).

:hmm: What's with the NZ appeal????? No simuls, no organisation, nothing :(

heligan
31-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Saturday 31st July - Blitz Fundraiser

NZCF thanks all those who took part in the Blitz Fundraiser: Herman van Riemsdijk, Mike Steadman, Hans Gao, Paul Garbett, Hilton Bennett, Bruce Wheeler, Jeremy Browne, Edward Tanoi, Xhuedet Jashari, Judy Gao, Bryan Latimer, Paul Spiller, Daniel Shen, Philip Mukkattu, Wayne Power, Leo Zhang, Roy Seabrook, Andrew Michael, Simon Lyall, Mike Foley, David Taylor and Ewen Green. Thanks also to Fullers Tools and Murray Chandler for providing generous prizes. And finally, thanks to Bob Gibbons for running the event and Auckland Chess Centre for providing the venue. Full results are available on the website, http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/results.html.

There will be another Blitz event on 13th September.

Tony Dowden
01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Great :D That should more or less quadruple the kitty!

heligan
10-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Total so far: $600

Adamski
10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Any other Kiwi Chess Chatters up for this?!Yes, once house related finances settle and I know our budget I will definitely put some doallars into the appeal. Presumably through Helen's web site?

Tony Dowden
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes, once house related finances settle and I know our budget I will definitely put some doallars into the appeal. Presumably through Helen's web site?

Thanks Jonathan, that would be terrific!

Yes, you can navigate to a portal for the Olympiad Appeal via Helen's website.

Tony Dowden
20-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Latest total: $640

Tony Dowden
20-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Latest total: $640

Oh dear, the appeal seems to be going backwards - according to the site it's back down to $600 now :(

Adamski
20-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks Jonathan, that would be terrific!

Yes, you can navigate to a portal for the Olympiad Appeal via Helen's website.Now done.

heligan
21-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Those with Australian bank accounts should note that NZ is a foreign country with a foreign currency! Simple bank transfer will not work. We can cash cheques in Australian dollars though. No, we don't have credit card facilities - sorry.

Qbert
21-08-2010, 08:36 AM
You should be able to cash my cheque easily enough - on its way today.
Good luck to the teams :)

Adamski
22-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Those with Australian bank accounts should note that NZ is a foreign country with a foreign currency! Simple bank transfer will not work. We can cash cheques in Australian dollars though. No, we don't have credit card facilities - sorry.Noted - thanks! Cheque will be posted.

heligan
22-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Many thanks for all donations! We won't waste it on vodka and caviar. Well, not all of it anyway!

Tony Dowden
22-08-2010, 08:44 PM
My thanks too - since I started the thread. It's gratifying to see ChessChatters rallying to a cause and making a difference once again :clap: :clap:

heligan
24-08-2010, 08:27 AM
OLYMPIAD TEAM FUNDRAISER
BID FOR A MOSEL RIVER STAY IN GERMANY
www.myeuropebase.com
Bids are open for a stay of 1 or 2 weeks in a deluxe self-contained one bedroom apartment to be used by end June 2012 (July and August 2011 excluded). The highest bid/s will go the 2010 Olympiad Appeal - less $100 per each week to cover overheads. More than one bid may be accepted and it is transferable to other people. Bids should include name, email, bid amount per week and number of weeks sought. Please send by email to Paul Spiller (spillerfamily.enterprise@xtra.co.nz). Closing date 20th September 2010. Successful bids will have the same priority as regular bookings.
MY EUROPE BASE
Australian chess player Ralph Jackson (NZ born!) and wife Olga own this pretty apartment house on the Mosel River Germany, in the winemaker town of Zell, halfway between the cities of Trier and Koblenz. Frankfurt-Hahn Airport is very convenient by local bus. Apartments are offered for short and long stays. The location and rates are ideal for Aussie and Kiwi chess players wanting a long stay base while they test themselves on the European circuit. So please have a look at the www.myeuropebase.com website and if you think you (or someone you know) can enjoy some time in Europe in the next 2 years while supporting the 2010 New Zealand Olympiad team, then get your bid in!

Tony Dowden
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Qbert and Adamski :P The total is up to $750

Tony Dowden
18-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Yet another ChessChatter has donated. Thanks SHump :clap: :clap: The total is up to $810

SHump
21-09-2010, 07:05 AM
OK, maybe this is not directly related to the olympiad appeal, but still it is chess in the news :clap:

Hamilton Press has published a story and photo of Daniel Han, Hamilton chess club member, with his thoughts before he headed off to the Chess Olympiad - the 'world cup' of chess events. His opponents will need to prepare against d4 ;-). See article here (http://hamiltonchess.weebly.com/blog-updates.html). All the best to Daniel and all of the NZ mens and ladies teams.

Tony Dowden
16-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks to all the ChessChatters with Kiwi connections who accepted my challenge :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

heligan
04-11-2010, 06:47 AM
November 13th 2010 - Olympiad fund-raiser - Blitz Tournament, Auckland.
Venue: Auckland Chess Centre, 17 Cromwell St, St, Mount Eden. Entry fee: $20. Prizes: a wide range of non-cash prizes including Olympiad memorabilia and Gambit chess books. 9-round Swiss-system Blitz event with a time control of all moves in five minutes. Schedule: player registration 2:00pm; first round 2:30pm; tournament and prize-giving complete by 6:00pm. Fifty players maximum. See the calendar for a pdf download, www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html

Tony Dowden
04-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh, so the Kiwi Olympiad appeal is still 'live'! I see it's up to $1340 :clap: :clap:

antichrist
04-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh, so the Kiwi Olympiad appeal is still 'live'! I see it's up to $1340 :clap: :clap:

I will donate $40 if somehow it can be delivered without hefty bank or currency fees

Tony Dowden
04-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I will donate $40 if somehow it can be delivered without hefty bank or currency fees

That's very kind of you and I'm sure it will be appreciated :cool:

One way would be to send yor $40 to KB (you're constantly confabbing with him so it shouldn't be too difficult to see if he's willing), then he can pay me later on when convenient. Meanwhile I'll pay NZD$50 from my NZ a/c once KB has the funds and Heligan will verify on the NZChess site. (AUD$40 more or less = NZD$50).

:hmm: Dunno if the Kiwis will cope with a donation from an 'Antichrist' though :eek: Do you have a everyday Byron Bay kinda monicker we can put the $50 to instead?!

antichrist
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM

One way would be to send yor $40 to KB (you're constantly confabbing with him so it shouldn't be too difficult to see if he's willing), then he can pay me later on when convenient. Meanwhile I'll pay NZD$50 from my NZ a/c once KB has the funds and Heligan will verify on the NZChess site. (AUD$40 more or less = NZD$50).

:hmm: Dunno if the Kiwis will cope with a donation from an 'Antichrist' though :eek: Do you have a everyday Byron Bay kinda monicker we can put the $50 to instead?!

It is antichrist or nothing - money speaks all languages. I will see what KB suggests.

Kevin Bonham
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
If you post $40 to me or bank transfer it to me I can pass it on to Tony. PM me with which one you want if you want to do this + I can give you my details.

heligan
05-11-2010, 06:34 AM
NZ is very happy to accept donations from anyone, whatever the name! Much appreciated.

Ian Murray
05-11-2010, 08:14 AM
If you post $40 to me or bank transfer it to me I can pass it on to Tony. PM me with which one you want if you want to do this + I can give you my details.
The simplest way to move small amounts internationally is by email via Paypal

heligan
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately NZCF is not able to use Paypal. Or credit cards. We can cash foreign cheques, if absolutely necessary. Best suggestion for Australian donors - give someone who is going to the Rotorua Zonal some cash for us!

Tony Dowden
10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
It is antichrist or nothing - money speaks all languages. I will see what KB suggests.

And?

antichrist
10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
And?

Hello Tony, I have been flat out and gone everywhere, I will do tomorrow for sure, not so busy.

Tony Dowden
11-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Hello Tony, I have been flat out and gone everywhere, I will do tomorrow for sure, not so busy.

Good on you :cool:

I'll make sure I have NZD$50 standing by ready for transfer then.

antichrist
11-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Good on you :cool:

I'll make sure I have NZD$50 standing by ready for transfer then.

Already done for sure

Tony Dowden
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Already done for sure

Step 2 is missing, sorry - as in I haven't heard from Kevin.

BTW - the 'handle' thing was attempted humour - but apparently not very successful as both you and Heligan played it with a straight bat :lol:

antichrist
12-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Step 2 is missing, sorry - as in I haven't heard from Kevin.

BTW - the 'handle' thing was attempted humour - but apparently not very successful as both you and Heligan played it with a straight bat :lol:

Listen mate, you just ask the Pakistanisi batsman about money and straight bats - that's how they let the ball slip through.

heligan
14-11-2010, 08:17 AM
NZCF thanks all those who took part in the Blitz Fundraiser: Hans Gao, Paul Garbett, Ivan Dordevic, Bruce Wheeler, Wayne Power, Johnson Chen, Winston Yao, Roy Seabrook, Simon Lyall, Stefan Wagner, Leo Zhang, Mike Foley, Philip Mukkattu, Bob Mitchell, David Taylor, John McRae and Ewen Green. Thanks also to the Olympiad players, Fullers Tools and Murray Chandler for providing generous prizes. And finally, thanks to Bob Gibbons and Hilton Bennett for running the event and Auckland Chess Centre for providing the venue. $330 was raised.

Tony Dowden
19-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Listen mate, you just ask the Pakistanisi batsman about money and straight bats - that's how they let the ball slip through.

And Kevin?

Tony Dowden
20-11-2010, 09:32 AM
And Kevin?
Thanks AC and KB. Will transfer funds on Mon.

Tony Dowden
22-11-2010, 10:20 AM

All done now AC. Many thanks!

Tony Dowden
22-11-2010, 10:22 AM
And yet another ChessChatter has donated! Many thanks antichrist :clap: :clap: The total is up to about $1720