PDA

View Full Version : Gold coast event fees etc

arosar
01-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey you Redskins (that's QLDers) - you got any tourneys comin' up I can visit?

AR

Cat
01-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Hey you Redskins (that's QLDers) - you got any tourneys comin' up I can visit?

AR

We'd be delighted to have you, Amiel. Yes, we've got the Nell van der Graff Classic coming up in September if you're interested. I must warn you however, most cockies that drift up our way end up going home with their tails between their legs!

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 06:51 AM
that means youll put your ranking to a true test at the gold coast rapid championships on sunday 24 october right
:lol:

Well, I think not since that's coming up to a really really busy time for me (final exams/assignments). Also, I'm not too keen on the $25 entry fee... it used to be just $6. Talk about jacking up the price...

Garvinator
02-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Well, I think not since that's coming up to a really really busy time for me (final exams/assignments). Also, I'm not too keen on the $25 entry fee... it used to be just $6. Talk about jacking up the price...
did the $6 per person include a rating fee? If not then add five dollars to that for a fair comparison :uhoh:

Sheesh, next youll be posting about junior rating systems and biscuits :whistle: btw is that supposed to be a model for future practice :P

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
You guys seem to want something for nothing.
It would cost more than $25 to spend 6 hrs at the movies.

Anyway what was the prize fund when it was just $6 and what is it now.Also is there a difference in the cost of venue rental.

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 12:16 PM
did the $6 per person include a rating fee? If not then add five dollars to that for a fair comparison

Those tournaments were not rated as it predated the ACF rapid rating sytem. And that $6 rate is concession, was $8 for adults. I hardly think a 400+% increase is necessary to cover rating fees though :hmm:

Sheesh, next youll be posting about junior rating systems and biscuits btw is that supposed to be a model for future practice

Nah, I was doing that five years ago, see my post in the other thread. :cool:

You guys seem to want something for nothing.
It would cost more than $25 to spend 6 hrs at the movies.

Bullpats. I can see movies for $5 with a student concession at a very nice cinema complex. And that's to witness a $100 million production, not shuffle a few bits of wood around.

Anyway what was the prize fund when it was just $6 and what is it now.Also is there a difference in the cost of venue rental.

Venue's the same, prizes are marginally better
but not even nearly correlated with the increase in entry fee. It's a clear-cut case of cashing in and it's too much for me when I can run my own tournaments for people who want to come.. for a comparison I'm playing a tourn next week at the Uni of QLD, $2 entry fee, nice venue, cash prizes, snacks provided. Why pay for Mayfair when Whitechapel Road is almost as good?

Garvinator
02-09-2004, 12:42 PM
for a comparison I'm playing a tourn next week at the Uni of QLD, $2 entry fee, nice venue, cash prizes, snacks provided. Why pay for Mayfair when Whitechapel Road is almost as good?
details, details :hmm: also will it be rated?

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 12:43 PM
It's a clear-cut case of cashing in and it's too much for me when I can run my own tournaments for people who want to come.. for a comparison I'm playing a tourn next week at the Uni of QLD, $2 entry fee, nice venue, cash prizes, snacks provided. Why pay for Mayfair when Whitechapel Road is almost as good?

Can I buy into this discussion BD?

Box Hill/Whitehorse used to offer lowest cost tournaments. This, coupled with the egalitarian approach to prize money being spread rather evenly to all rating groups, generated a huge increase in playing numbers (240 financial members at the moment). So much so that we had to embark on significant computersation in order to manage the increased activity. This computerisation-strategy brought new costs that needed to be covered by new fees or increased fees.
The large numbers remained, but we never did attract those players in the 2000 rating category, save for the experienced home-grown juniors. (My guess is that the experienced 2000-rated players will only appear for significant prize-money). I guess we are on your side in this discussion BD.
But how do you do it for $2_entry mate. How about posting your budget here?

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Bullpats. I can see movies for $5 with a student concession at a very nice cinema complex. And that's to witness a $100 million production, not shuffle a few bits of wood around.
Well bully for you.
Some people would consider chess a bit more than shuffling bits of wood around.
You students seem to think you should get something for next to nothing.

Venue's the same, prizes are marginally better but not even nearly correlated with the increase in entry fee.
If your $8 fee was prior to the ACF Rapid rating system then it was prior to 2000. It is not unreasonable for the fee to have increased by a significant amount over more than 4 years.

So what are the actual prizes for the GC Allegro event.

It's a clear-cut case of cashing in and it's too much for me when I can run my own tournaments for people who want to come.
A case of cashing in is just speculation on your part. Given Graeme Gardiners record, I'd put my faith in him over you anyday.

for a comparison I'm playing a tourn next week at the Uni of QLD, $2 entry fee, nice venue, cash prizes, snacks provided. Why pay for Mayfair when Whitechapel Road is almost as good?
So what are the prize fund for your event.

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 12:48 PM
details, details :hmm: also will it be rated?

The $2 fee is for members of the UQ Games Society. The $5 membership fee for the year and grants from the UQ Union subsidise the club sufficiently. You're welcome to come along, Sep 9, 7pm, Kingham Room, Union Complex, Uni of QLD. 15 mins/side. Games will not be submitted for rating.

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Can I buy into this discussion BD?

Box Hill/Whitehorse used to offer lowest cost tournaments. This, coupled with the egalitarian approach to prize money being spread rather evenly to all rating groups, generated a huge increase in playing numbers (240 financial members at the moment). So much so that we had to embark on significant computersation in order to manage the increased activity. This computerisation-strategy brought new costs that needed to be covered by new fees or increased fees.
The large numbers remained, but we never did attract those players in the 2000 rating category, save for the experienced home-grown juniors. (My guess is that the experienced 2000-rated players will only appear for significant prize-money). I guess we are on your side in this discussion BD.
But how do you do it for $2_entry mate. How about posting your budget here?

You've got a pretty sophisticated setup there by the sounds of it starter. Can I ask what entry fees you charge and what prizemoney you offer?

Garvinator
02-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Prizes:
First $150 plus trophy
Second $100 plus trophy
Third $50 plus trophy
Five rating prizes, each $50

Session times:
Registration closes 9.00am
Round 1 - 9.15am
9 rounds - finish approx 5.30pm
Time controls Game in 15 minutes plus 10 sec/move (Fischer)

Entry fees:
$30 seniors
$25 pensioners
$20 juniors
$10 late fee for entries not paid by 23 October
Seating is limited - book early

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Well bully for you.
Some people would consider chess a bit more than shuffling bits of wood around.
You students seem to think you should get something for next to nothing.

We should too! We've got no money as it is.. when I finish and get a good job with my qualifications I promise to never complain about high entry fees again!

If your $8 fee was prior to the ACF Rapid rating system then it was prior to 2000. It is not unreasonable for the fee to have increased by a significant amount over more than 4 years.

Significant yes but the numbers still don't add up, it borders on exorbitant.

You should be able to see for yourself on www.gardinerchess.com I think it was $150 for 1st prize, various rating prizes. However those tourns usually get quite a large turnout.

A case of cashing in is just speculation on your part. Given Graeme Gardiners record, I'd put my faith in him over you anyday.

When did I boast to have any kind of record? 1/1 is about the extent of that. Stop spin doctoring :P

So what are the prize fund for your event.

I think first place actually gets a new chess book valued at $30. 2nd is half of all entry receipts, 3rd is quarter, an upset prize (if any occur) and we even have a wooden spoon prize on offer!

Garvinator
02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
You're welcome to come along, Sep 9, 7pm, Kingham Room, Union Complex, Uni of QLD. 15 mins/side. Games will not be submitted for rating.
15 mins per side, so i take it that it is guillotine, pass then :hand: also do you use dgts or analog clocks?

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 01:10 PM
You should be able to see for yourself on www.gardinerchess.com I think it was $150 for 1st prize, various rating prizes. However those tourns usually get quite a large turnout.
It doesnt appear to be on there yet, although it is on the CAQ site.

When did I boast to have any kind of record? 1/1 is about the extent of that. Stop spin doctoring :P
No spin doctoring at all.
You were the one who accused him of cashing in. I'm just saying that as far as I'm concerned I have more faith in Graeme Gardiner than you.

I think first place actually gets a new chess book valued at $30. 2nd is half of all entry receipts, 3rd is quarter, an upset prize (if any occur) and we even have a wooden spoon prize on offer!
First wouldnt be too happy if you had more than 30 entries.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey starter,

You still havent answered my question in post #39 of this thread.
Thats sloppy of you. ;)

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 01:18 PM
You've got a pretty sophisticated setup there by the sounds of it starter. Can I ask what entry fees you charge and what prizemoney you offer?

BD
I have posted this a few times previously.

It summarises down to

Subtract rating fee from entry fees to give WA=working amount.
Distribute 50% of WA to prizes, roughly egalitarian.
Retain 50% of WA to cover rent, equipment, web-site, scoresheets, other.

We rarely vary from this. (Forthcoming BH OPEN is an exception).

In addition > Annual subscription is $50 concession and $65 Full.

starter

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 01:22 PM
15 mins per side, so i take it that it is guillotine, pass then :hand: also do you use dgts or analog clocks?

:eek: ga'ga'

Should you be posting like this on a RATINGS thread?

:naughty:

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Hey starter,

You still havent answered my question in post #39 of this thread.
Thats sloppy of you. ;)

I work in the Daimaru Tower which is part of the Daimaru shopping complex. It is undergoing a major redevelopment into shopping malls and food halls and whatever. The really interesting point is that the redevelopment is occuring whilst the public use the thoroughfares and the arcades. Each morning we face finding a way to work through all the temporary hoardings. On nearly every one of the hoardings (100s) there is a sign. A very well-publicised notice as I said.

Bill posters not allowed.

Naturally the Punters Club is very law-abiding and hence have excluded you from the differential calculation, because of this notice. :P

Garvinator
02-09-2004, 01:36 PM
:eek: ga'ga'

Should you be posting like this on a RATINGS thread?

:naughty:
all this talk about gardiner prizes is not really ratings is it :hmm: and your bill posters post is not ratings either, neither is this post :P

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I work in the Daimaru Tower which is part of the Daimaru shopping complex. It is undergoing a major redevelopment into shopping malls and food halls and whatever. The really interesting point is that the redevelopment is occuring whilst the public use the thoroughfares and the arcades. Each morning we face finding a way to work through all the temporary hoardings. On nearly every one of the hoardings (100s) there is a sign. A very well-publicised notice as I said.

Bill posters not allowed.

Naturally the Punters Club is very law-abiding and hence have excluded you from the differential calculation, because of this notice. :P
Ha ha ha, you idiot. :lol: :lol: ;)

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 04:16 PM

Yes guillotine (the way it should always be).

Yes, DGT.

Why not come? 15 mins is STACKS of time. You played in the Lightning last year where I whooped you ( :owned: ) but you get three times as much time for this and still no go? Just come for fun! I guarantee you, there are players there that you can beat.

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 04:22 PM
It doesnt appear to be on there yet, although it is on the CAQ site.

Wow, very strange.. I'm sure I saw it there before. Maybe there's some site maintainence going on.

No spin doctoring at all.
You were the one who accused him of cashing in. I'm just saying that as far as I'm concerned I have more faith in Graeme Gardiner than you.

Faith in what capacity? Graeme's a top bloke with a great setup. All I'm saying is the entry fee is too high for me personally to pay to enter. Why do you start to make comparisions?

First wouldnt be too happy if you had more than 30 entries.

Haha, very very unlikely, the most we've ever had attend is around 16.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Wow, very strange.. I'm sure I saw it there before. Maybe there's some site maintainence going on.
Maybe its there and I just couldnt find it.

All I'm saying is the entry fee is too high for me personally to pay to enter.
No thats not what you were saying.
You claimed he as cashing in.

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 04:30 PM
No thats not what you were saying.
You claimed he as cashing in.

I don't deny it but I didn't say it was a bad thing - he has to pay for his chess centre and make money somehow, it's his livelihood.

The bottom line: Fee too high to warrant me, and some of my friends, playing in the tourn. Notice when I first mentioned it, this is not my primary reason for non-attendance.

PHAT
02-09-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm just saying that as far as I'm concerned I have more faith in Graeme Gardiner than you [BD].

What is wrong with you? Why start insulting BD now? You have got to start kicking the cat instead of people.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
What is wrong with you? Why start insulting BD now? You have got to start kicking the cat instead of people.
His original post and his cashing in comment implied the organiser was making an unjustified profit to line his own pockets.
I didnt think it was a fair comment and Graeme Gardiner doesnt post here.

PHAT
02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
His original post and his cashing in comment implied the organiser was making an unjustified profit to line his own pockets.

So what. You insulted him by saying you had "more faith in GG" than him. There was no need for it, you just insulted him for nothing.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 05:47 PM
So what. You insulted him by saying you had "more faith in GG" than him.
I didnt insult him, I stated I have more faith in Graeme than Bruce. That is just a statement of fact.

There was no need for it, you just insulted him for nothing.
As far as I was concerned BD cast asperions at the organiser (Graeme).

When it comes to actually insulting anyone you are one of the worst offenders. You insult people with no justification whatsoever.

In future when I want to know your opinion, I'll ask for it. :hand:
Therefore until hell freezes over you can keep it to yourself.

Cat
02-09-2004, 06:08 PM
I didnt insult him, I stated I have more faith in Graeme than Bruce. That is just a statement of fact.

As far as I was concerned BD cast asperions at the organiser (Graeme).

When it comes to actually insulting anyone you are one of the worst offenders. You insult people with no justification whatsoever.

Bill, why can't you converse with people without anamosity? Do you think you're doing Graeme any favours in criticising Bruce in this pointless way?

Bruce, it's true there have been increases and I'll relay your concerns to Graeme. We are mindful of our costs on the Gold Coast and try to find ways to make things affordable. For example, when families play only the first 2 members pay and the rest of the family plays for free.

We really do want to try to support those that are strapped, any suggestions you have we'd welcome. I believe the venue and administration we have is first class and most of the increase has been spent on player services. I really think that chess on the Gold Coast is benefiting enormously from this commercial enterprise and it will hopefully be a model for other areas. Many things simply couldn't be accomplished without Graeme's input and he deserves the little income he recieves for his efforts.

Support us Bruce and we'll try to support you. I'll raise the issue at the GCCC meeting next week.

PHAT
02-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Stating that "fact" was an insult. :wall:

When it comes to actually insulting anyone you are one of the worst offenders.

So that excuses you, does it? Your argument here is stuffed. You just wanted to insult me too.

You insult people with no justification whatsoever.

Perhaps you don't agree/like my reason(s). I don't think I insult with "no justification whatsoever."

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Bill, why can't you converse with people without anamosity? Do you think you're doing Graeme any favours in criticising Bruce in this pointless way?
I couldnt care less what your opinion is DR.
As far as I was concerned BD was criticising the organiser, someone who has done far more for chess than BD.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Starting that "fact" was an insult. :wall:
The fact is I do have more faith in Graeme than BD.
Of course oif its any consulation I have miles more faith in BD than I do in you.

So that excuses you, does it?
I dont see it as an insult, I saw it as a staement of fact.

here is another statement of fact.
You are a do nothing moron.

Your argument here is stuffed. You just wanted to insult me too.
You deserve to be insulted.
You are a do nothing moron who criticises anyone and everyone and makes false claims and accusations.

Perhaps you don't agree/like my reason(s). I don't think I insult with "no justification whatsoever."
You wouldnt now, would you.

PHAT
02-09-2004, 06:29 PM
The fact is I do have more faith in Graeme than BD.
Of course oif its any consulation I have miles more faith in BD than I do in you.

I dont see it as an insult, I saw it as a staement of fact.

Here is another statement of fact.
You are a do nothing moron.

You deserve to be insulted.
You are a do nothing moron who criticises anyone and everyone and makes false claims and accusations.

Here are some more "facts" ya chancre:

Your ears stick out like a wingnut.
Your breath stinks.
Nigel is your middle name.
1865 is an ordinary rating.
And your presidency will be known as the Rip Van Winkle Years.

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 06:35 PM

Your breath stinks.
You can insult me as much as you like.
The fact remains you are a loud mouth do nothing individual who continually makes false claims and indulges in beatups.

Your nothing but a joke.

antichrist
02-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Now this is the form I like to see you mud-slingers in. In that other thread you were all acting like a flock of pansies. You have to keep the masses entertained. KB and I are tossing Christians to the lions to keep the other thread lively.

antichrist
02-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney

Your breath stinks.

Alan Shore
02-09-2004, 08:10 PM
I didnt think it was a fair comment and Graeme Gardiner doesnt post here.

Bill, I am employed by Graeme and have no problems addressing my concerns to his face. YOU READ THE IMPLICATION YOURSELF, you can see it in the above quote. That is not my doing, that's simply how you read it.

And you still didn't answer me: in what capacity? I could say I have more faith in a cheese sandwich than Bill Gletsos. Without context your statement is meaningless.

Bruce, it's true there have been increases and I'll relay your concerns to Graeme. We are mindful of our costs on the Gold Coast and try to find ways to make things affordable. For example, when families play only the first 2 members pay and the rest of the family plays for free.

David, that is a good system and very wise as the propensity for juniors to play is very high. The truth is though, it is parents that pay for juniors to enter. When you're a student, you're not exactly loaded with cash. And it is around my sort of age that players generally disappear from the tournament chess scene, and this may well be a factor.

And finally, thanks to Matt for the defence. I think he (Bill) was a little incensed that he got shut down on the 'Blast' thread and vented here ;)

PHAT
02-09-2004, 09:31 PM
The truth is though, it is parents that pay for juniors to enter. When you're a student, you're not exactly loaded with cash.

That is all very true nearly every time. We had a junior who walked 21km to get to an event because ...

Then a club member shouted him his entry fee.

And finally, thanks to Matt for the defence. I think he (Bill) was a little incensed that he got shut down on the 'Blast' thread and vented here ;)

:lol: NP

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't deny it but I didn't say it was a bad thing - he has to pay for his chess centre and make money somehow, it's his livelihood.

The bottom line: Fee too high to warrant me, and some of my friends, playing in the tourn. Notice when I first mentioned it, this is not my primary reason for non-attendance.

BD

I must admit that I winced when I saw the cashing in terminology in your post. At the time I interpreted this as criticising the level of profit from the tourney venture.
Your later explanation puts forward a different interpretation.
I think Bill was right to query it once. But he should/could have left it at once_only.

starter

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Bill, I am employed by Graeme and have no problems addressing my concerns to his face. YOU READ THE IMPLICATION YOURSELF, you can see it in the above quote. That is not my doing, that's simply how you read it.
Well it appears that starter interpreted it in a similar way.

And you still didn't answer me: in what capacity? I could say I have more faith in a cheese sandwich than Bill Gletsos. Without context your statement is meaningless.
In the capacity of Graeme acting in a reasonable and ethical mannner.
As reported to me at the time by a NSWJCL official your attempt to play in a NSWJCL event by misrepresenting your age means I dont hold you in the same regard.

And finally, thanks to Matt for the defence.
Having Matt defend you is no defence at all.

I think he (Bill) was a little incensed that he got shut down on the 'Blast' thread and vented here ;)
Not a chance.
I vent in the relevant threads.

Garvinator
03-09-2004, 01:28 AM

We really do want to try to support those that are strapped, any suggestions you have we'd welcome. I believe the venue and administration we have is first class and most of the increase has been spent on player services. I really think that chess on the Gold Coast is benefiting enormously from this commercial enterprise and it will hopefully be a model for other areas. Many things simply couldn't be accomplished without Graeme's input and he deserves the little income he recieves for his efforts.

Support us Bruce and we'll try to support you. I'll raise the issue at the GCCC meeting next week.

David,

If you are seriously passing concerns along for the next meeting, i have a couple, especially relating to the possible needs of brisbane ppl.

1) For ppl from brisbane as you would understand, it costs more to come down there, not sure what can be done about this, but it is a concern that needs to be addressed.

2) Starting time- i find it extremely difficult to come down to tournaments at gardiner chess centre when they start at 9:30am. I am pretty sure that i cant be the only one who would like tournaments to start one hour later at 10am or 10:30am.

these two changes would make a big difference, well at least for me ;)

PHAT
03-09-2004, 06:37 AM
In the capacity of Graeme acting in a reasonable and ethical mannner. As reported to me at the time by a NSWJCL official your attempt to play in a NSWJCL event by misrepresenting your age means I dont hold you in the same regard.

I think, Bill, you are about to be bashed by the BB inhabitants for over stepping a line. You had better start naming names or afix your bayonet.

Alan Shore
03-09-2004, 07:29 AM
I think, Bill, you are about to be bashed by the BB inhabitants for over stepping a line. You had better start naming names or afix your bayonet.

That is indeed stepping over the line. You're going about the right way to be despised, Bill, you don't even know the full story. :hand:

Bill Gletsos
03-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I think, Bill, you are about to be bashed by the BB inhabitants for over stepping a line.
Being bashed by you or DR is just par for the course.

You had better start naming names or afix your bayonet.
Why worry about bayonets when you can use a bazooka. ;)

I would accept the veracity of the NSWJCL official who told me this without question. I hold him in the highest regard.

Bill Gletsos
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
That is indeed stepping over the line. You're going about the right way to be despised, Bill, you don't even know the full story. :hand:
You were the one who insited I state why I had more faith in Graeme Gardiner than in you.
I therefore stated my reason.

Alan Shore
03-09-2004, 11:51 AM
You were the one who insited I state why I had more faith in Graeme Gardiner than in you.
I therefore stated my reason.

I've been upset all morning over this. If that was your goal when you posted that crap, you've succeeded. I can't believe you'd go as low as make such claims public without knowing what really went on. But of course, you never bothered to find those details, did you? All this shows is you love to not only insult others but try to destroy them too to make yourself look so good, to retain your pride after obviously being wrong. I think you are the joke around here.

arosar
03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I can't believe you'd go as low as make such claims public without knowing what really went on.

Then will you tell us mate?

Though I must admit, this whole little kerfuffle is bull.schit. I think Bill's definitely just barking at nothing.

AR

PHAT
03-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Though I must admit, this whole little kerfuffle is bull.schit. I think Bill's definitely just barking at nothing.

AR

Ameil, Bill bit and drew blood. Not good.

Cat
03-09-2004, 06:54 PM
David,

If you are seriously passing concerns along for the next meeting, i have a couple, especially relating to the possible needs of brisbane ppl.

1) For ppl from brisbane as you would understand, it costs more to come down there, not sure what can be done about this, but it is a concern that needs to be addressed.

2) Starting time- i find it extremely difficult to come down to tournaments at gardiner chess centre when they start at 9:30am. I am pretty sure that i cant be the only one who would like tournaments to start one hour later at 10am or 10:30am.

Garvin, your concerns are my concerns, I'll pass on the message.

Cat
03-09-2004, 07:08 PM
I've been upset all morning over this. If that was your goal when you posted that crap, you've succeeded. I can't believe you'd go as low as make such claims public without knowing what really went on. But of course, you never bothered to find those details, did you? All this shows is you love to not only insult others but try to destroy them too to make yourself look so good, to retain your pride after obviously being wrong. I think you are the joke around here.

This is absolutely appalling! Bill, how you choose to conduct your affairs in NSW is between you and your constituents. You have no business in Queensland and your comments are not welcome here! Shut up, butt out and learn some humility.

Bruce, pay no attention - Bills opinions are worthless drivel. For what it's worth I value your honesty. We need to know how our customers feel so we can deliver service. This is how we work on the Gold Coast.

Bill Gletsos
03-09-2004, 09:52 PM
This is absolutely appalling! Bill, how you choose to conduct your affairs in NSW is between you and your constituents. You have no business in Queensland and your comments are not welcome here! Shut up, butt out and learn some humility.
You could do well to follow your own advice.
Your opinions on most things are just rubbish.

firegoat7
04-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Do you know Bruce Bill then when was e born?
As Graemes your mate then what r is norms?
If faiths your decider, then who do u ask?
Is it 2 God, your peers,yourself, or your heart?

"More" faith implies, a belief in material
Does that mean your opinion is a populist serial?
Or is "I" only right cause only I knows
Did my eyes deceive me, am I really alone?

A statement of fact, now what could that be?
Is it something that spurts from the mouth of live meat
Or is it measured,weighed,calculated, contrived
a fact we presume is that humans are alive

To insult, is to denigrate, to shame, to lay blame
we compare, we report, we decide, we maim
But in all this discourse, two things are fact
Bill aint apologising, and faiths on the way back

I didn't insult him I didn't I didn't
sez the I that survives in an egocentric prison

Garvinator
07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
David,

David, have my concerns listed above been discussed yet? when is the meeting?

Garvinator
07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
The $2 fee is for members of the UQ Games Society. The $5 membership fee for the year and grants from the UQ Union subsidise the club sufficiently. You're welcome to come along, Sep 9, 7pm, Kingham Room, Union Complex, Uni of QLD. 15 mins/side. Games will not be submitted for rating.
Hello Bruce, just realised that sept 9 is a thursday night, so i cant play as ill be at brisbane chess club. Change your night :P

Cat
07-09-2004, 04:00 PM

tomorrow night garvin, you're at the top of my agenda

Alan Shore
07-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Hello Bruce, just realised that sept 9 is a thursday night, so i cant play as ill be at brisbane chess club. Change your night :P

Actually I had the date wrong, it was actually Wednesday the 8th (tomorrow night). So no excuses for not showing up!

Garvinator
07-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Actually I had the date wrong, it was actually Wednesday the 8th (tomorrow night). So no excuses for not showing up!
what time will it finish?

Alan Shore
07-09-2004, 11:46 PM
what time will it finish?

I think around 9pm. Usually there's about 4 rounds.

Garvinator
07-09-2004, 11:58 PM
I think around 9pm. Usually there's about 4 rounds.
:hmm: i think i might struggle out there :P are you that desperate for players you want me there :P

Alan Shore
08-09-2004, 12:03 AM
:hmm: i think i might struggle out there :P are you that desperate for players you want me there :P

Yes, for sure! ;)

Garvinator
09-09-2004, 12:56 AM
what was the results of the concerns i raised, at the meeting?

Garvinator
09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
i guess either the doc forgot about my concerns, or is avoiding my question :rolleyes:

Alan Shore
09-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Report from the tourn last night:

A very big thank you to everyone who made it for last night's chess tournament! No less than fifteen turned up to do battle, the best attendance yet. With many strong players among them, the competition at the top of the ladder was very tight, including a draw between Dion and Alex in their semifinal. But Sean won all four of his matches to take first prize, including wins against Brendan and Alex. Dion was also unbeaten, and finished second with 3.5. Stephen, Nathan and Garvin all finished on 3 points, with Stephen picking up third place as he managed this without a bye. Once again, there were no upsets. Thanks again to Bruce Littleboy for donating the highly acclaimed "50 Golden Chess Games - More Masterpieces of Correspondence Chess" as the major prize.

Top placings:

Sean Karita 4/4
Dion Sampson 3.5/4
Steve Chandler, Garvin Gray, Nathan 3/4

The implications on the points table is that Dion now leads on 18, just one ahead of Brendan. Sean rockets into third place on 8, but the two frontrunners have a good lead and will be difficult to catch.

Due to the high level of interest, QUGS is running another tournament two weeks from now, on Wednesday 24th September. This is a chocolate prize tournament with the usual specifics:

* Start 7pm in the Kingham Room
* Entry is FREE for members, $2 non-members ($5 membership)
* Swiss draw, 3-4 rounds, 15 minutes per side
* Chocolate prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and the wooden spoon
* Upset prize remains on offer

QUGS will run another cash tournament on the 8th of September. Also keep an eye out for the QUGS AGM at midday on 28th September, which will offer a free pizza lunch to members who attend. Member support is vital here as we need 15 members for the AGM to be valid. I'll send a reminder closer to the date.

Nik Moore

Garvinator
10-09-2004, 01:11 AM
It seems that David Richards is struggling to answer another question.

I asked him to pass on these concerns regarding events on the gold coast.

David,

these two changes would make a big difference, well at least for me.

Garvin, your concerns are my concerns, I'll pass on the message.

David has not replied to my last question, even though he has had over a day and has posted countless times on other threads.

Garvinator
10-09-2004, 02:22 AM
review of qugs event

Dion, does this mean no comp next week? Btw, where were the masses that were supposed to attend for the bcc club champs second round, we held up play for a few minutes for them to arrive, a bunch of no shows. This look does not bode well for future events :doh: