PDA

View Full Version : Versions of the Slav/Semi-Slav old and new

Paul Cavezza
04-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm currently going over Soltis' Pawn Structure Chess where he goes through typical pawn movements in the Slav. In the games he analyses he focussed on "Chigorin's plan" of dxc5, Bxc5, e5 after:

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 Nbd7 5.Nf3 e6 6.Bd3 Bd6 7.O-O O-O 8.e4 dxc4 9.Bxc4 e5

things like this.

However in most modern books I've looked at it's usually white who's playing cxd5 first.

First question: is this impression I have correct?
Secondly: Why does this variation not come to pass so often any more, is it that white has a better plan or that black equalises in this line?

After cxd5, exd5 and something like Re8/Qe7 to cover the advance of the e-pawn, it seems to me like Black has opened the lines for free and stands ok?

Thanks for any advice on the development/difference between old and new:)
Paul

Capablanca-Fan
04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
After cxd5, exd5 and something like Re8/Qe7 to cover the advance of the e-pawn, it seems to me like Black has opened the lines for free and stands ok?

Thanks for any advice on the development/difference between old and new:)
Paul
The exchange cxd5 exd5 is the QGD Exchange Variation, quite a different game, on which I have a thread (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6322). But this is no good if White has blocked his QB with e3; his B must be outside that central pawn chain. Black will have an easy game by playing ...Ne4 at the right time and building up an attack on the K-side.

Igor_Goldenberg
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
However in most modern books I've looked at it's usually white who's playing cxd5 first.

Jono explained the pitfalls of early exchange well. I doubt white often in rush to exchange on d5 (unless bishop already on f4/g5).
There is an exception, though. Recently in this sort of a position I played b6 (preparing Bb7 and then c5). My opponent exchanged on d5 and I barely managed to draw (c6 pawn became quite week).

It's more common for white to play e4 at the right moment (without d5 exchange). Black has variety of replies (dxc4 or dxe4 followed by either c5 or e5).

Max Illingworth
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
6...dc4 7.Bc4 b5 is considered the critical line in the Meran.

After 6...Bd6 7.0-0 0-0, 8.Qc2 is a good alternative which tends to lead to a somewhat quieter version of the standard Meran.

Desmond
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Jono explained the pitfalls of early exchange well. I doubt white often in rush to exchange on d5 (unless bishop already on f4/g5).
There is an exception, though. Recently in this sort of a position I played b6 (preparing Bb7 and then c5). My opponent exchanged on d5 and I barely managed to draw (c6 pawn became quite week).
I think in QGD normally ...b6 is played in conjunction with wanting to play c7-c5 in one move. White often does immediately respond with cxd5 and black will develop the bishop to e6 rather than fianchetto. Yes c6 can be weak but not so much of a problem when the pawn is on c5.

Igor_Goldenberg
04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
6...dc4 7.Bc4 b5 is considered the critical line in the Meran.

After 6...Bd6 7.0-0 0-0, 8.Qc2 is a good alternative which tends to lead to a somewhat quieter version of the standard Meran.
After b3 the main plan (6...dc4 7.Bc4 b5) not as good, black has to switch to e5 of b6.
However, in absence of b3 the plan (6...dc4 7.Bc4 b5) can work even after e4.

Recently I played with black
1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 e6 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Qc2 Bd6 7.Be2 0-0 8.e4 dxc4 9.Bxc4 b5 10.Be2 e5 and equalised.

I think in QGD normally ...b6 is played in conjunction with wanting to play c7-c5 in one move. White often does immediately respond with cxd5 and black will develop the bishop to e6 rather than fianchetto. Yes c6 can be weak but not so much of a problem when the pawn is on c5.
It's a Semi Slav, black is one tempo behind. Also dark colour bishop can go to b2, making c5 less attractive for black.

Desmond
04-06-2010, 08:41 PM
It's a Semi Slav, black is one tempo behind. Also dark colour bishop can go to b2, making c5 less attractive for black.Oh ok I thought you were following on from what Jono said.

Paul Cavezza
07-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks a lot guys all of you who've posted in here are usually very helpful, i'll be sure to take a look through the QG thread when I have time.
Paul