PDA

View Full Version : Minister caught at gay club David Campbell resigns

Igor_Goldenberg
21-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Minister caught at gay club David Campbell resigns (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/state-politics/minister-caught-at-gay-club-david-campbell-resigns/story-e6frgczx-1225869390970)

Could someone explain to me what's the problem and why did he have to resign?
It's alright for Rudd to visit strip club, why is it wrong for another Labor MP (albeit a minister) to visit gay club? Is there something else to the story I missed?

pax
21-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Minister caught at gay club David Campbell resigns (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/state-politics/minister-caught-at-gay-club-david-campbell-resigns/story-e6frgczx-1225869390970)

It's alright for Rudd to visit strip club, why is it wrong for another Labor MP (albeit a minister) to visit gay club? Is there something else to the story I missed?

Probably just personal embarrassment and political damage. I would hope that he was not "forced" to resign over this.

antichrist
21-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Well rumour has it that that was where he was (i.e. uncontactable) when one of the expressways clogged up for 12 hours. Mobile phones are not allowed in there when in nude. I know all about these places.

PLus many other do and don'ts. they can wear towels only any nights but not Friday nights - must be totally starkers (maybe can't eat meat in their either).

Imagine what wonderful sight Campbell must have been with his big gut and starkers.

Igor_Goldenberg
21-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Probably just personal embarrassment and political damage. I would hope that he was not "forced" to resign over this.
How come Rudd wasn't embarrassed?

arosar
21-05-2010, 02:45 PM

C'mon mate. That's a silly question.

But anyways, I got no problem with this bloke being what he is, but I tell you what, any controversy to destabilise this absolutely useless state government will do for me, I'm happy.

Also, the bloke shoulda resigned over some traffic jam fiasco weeks ago. Who knows where the hell he was then!

AR

antichrist
21-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Igor, I think you are from Melbourne, CAmpbell is from NSW parliament not federal.

I think it is unfair that people invade his privacy in this way. But why wasn't he happy with his missus? She must have put him off.

There was a similar case on Insight about a month ago and the guy's wife had a unique way of keeping him away from the guys. She brought an implement from one those funny shops.

I thought how embarrassing for the husband being shown on TV next to her.

Desmond
22-05-2010, 06:57 AM

The term bath house (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bathhouse) means a bit more than a strip club.

Garvinator
22-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I think this type of stuff only matters if the person 'caught' has been projecting a different image than what the reality of their life really is. Then it is in the public interest to expose their 'lies'. Then it gives the public much more information about what that politician really believes.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I think this type of stuff only matters if the person 'caught' has been projecting a different image than what the reality of their life really is. Then it is in the public interest to expose their 'lies'. Then it gives the public much more information about what that politician really believes.
Did Campbell try to project any values incompatible with visiting what Boris called bath house? I guess that question should be referred to our NSW members.

Desmond
22-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Did Campbell try to project any values incompatible with visiting what Boris called bath house?What I called them? the term was in your article.

Igor I think your position was pretty reasonable when you thought it was a strip club. That would be analogous to the Rudd thing. Bath house isn't. Time to change your view in light of new information perhaps?

antichrist
22-05-2010, 02:52 PM
The guy who exposed him reakons he was justified in doing so coz Campbell had presented himself in electoral brochures as a family man - well he was also a family man so there was no deception there.

The whole episode does not make much difference because the state govt is gone anyway. I seriously came to the conclusion a few months ago that they were changing premiers often so that they all get the massive pension and benefits for the rest of their life after they are kicked out.

Jeff Shaw was the hero who we lost too early. The rest did not matter.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-05-2010, 04:13 PM
What I called them? the term was in your article.

Igor I think your position was pretty reasonable when you thought it was a strip club. That would be analogous to the Rudd thing. Bath house isn't. Time to change your view in light of new information perhaps?
Boris, I admit to being quite ignorant at the subject. I also admit that reading on the subject isn't pleasurable to me at al, that's why I didn't read more then few lines of the Wikipedia link you provide.
Can we assume that bath house is analogous to a brothel?
I don't know much about NSW politics and haven't heard about Campbell until the scandal. I am genuinely curious if there is anything else in the Campbell career that warrants the scandal. For example, if he was a moral crusader about this sort of a venue, or even expressed the disgust about them, that would reveal the hypocrisy. Is this the case? Is there anything else?

Garvinator
22-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Boris, I admit to being quite ignorant at the subject. I also admit that reading on the subject isn't pleasurable to me at al, that's why I didn't read more then few lines of the Wikipedia link you provide.
I don't know much about NSW politics and haven't heard about Campbell until the scandal. I am genuinely curious if there is anything else in the Campbell career that warrants the scandal. For example, if he was a moral crusader about this sort of a venue, or even expressed the disgust about them, that would reveal the hypocrisy. Is this the case? Is there anything else?
I have no idea what his campaigning values had been, having not heard of him before this.

Now I remember clearly what the public interest is. He travelled to the venue in a government funded car. Which is paid for by the taxpaper ie the public. So the public has every right to know what their ministers are using their funds for. I am sure visiting gay brothels is not part of his ministerial responsibilities and so he was using the car for improper purposes.

trappistnight
22-05-2010, 04:36 PM
The minister, the gay sauna and a reporter with scores to settle
by Andrew Crook

The Channel Seven newsroom has split this morning over the ethics of state political reporter Adam Walters’ icky scoop exposing transport minister David Campbell’s “double life” as a bisexual man.

Campbell, whose wife is battling cancer, resigned immediately after Walters informed the government that Seven was running with the story last night. Apparently acting on a tip-off, Walters and producer Steve Barrett had tailed Campbell to the salubrious gay sauna Ken’s of Kensington on Tuesday, using a concealed camera to snag footage of him exiting the premises.

But Seven staffers say the story, rather than coming from the usual milieu of the ALP factions or the opposition, emanated mostly from the dark sewer of media revenge. Seven and the opposition had been pestering Campbell for weeks over his whereabouts during a notorious traffic jam on the F3 freeway on April 12, but had got precisely nowhere.

On Wednesday, Seven led its news with a Freedom of Information scoop on the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) report into the hold-up, but absent from the report was any reference to Campbell’s whereabouts. The minister’s private life had been an open secret in state government and media circles for years. So why did Walters decide to pull the trigger now?

On April 20 in state parliament, Campbell was repeatedly questioned by shadow roads minister Andrew Stoner over his movements on April 12 — specifically what he was doing between 11:40am, when the F3 truck smash occurred, and when the RTA’s ‘contra-flow system’ was finally activated later that evening.

Campbell joked and ducked the question: “As I’ve said, I have absolute confidence in the work that I was doing that day.”

A follow-up inquiry by former police commissioner Ken Moroney is likely to shed more light into the minister’s movements. But speculation is now swirling that Walters will reprise his yarn tonight, claiming Campbell may have been at Ken’s while 20,000 motorists sweated in their cars south of Gosford.

In a brief press conference held as Crikey went to press, Campbell said that while his decision to frequent Ken’s had hurt his family, there had been no impact on his professional life in parliament. On the night of the F3 debacle, Campbell said he was at his ministerial offices and his apartment in Potts Point, from where he conducted several media interviews. His office would release a statement with phone records proving his location later this afternoon.

Yet another explanation for the story is the bad blood that continues to circulate between Walters and the mother of his third child, dumped health minister Reba Meagher. Some sources are claiming the hatchet job on Campbell was payback for Walters’ emotional distress after the power couple’s relationship turned sour last year.

In 2008, Walters famously endured a “short but bruising” stint as the state government’s most senior spin doctor in former premier Morris Iemma’s ‘strategy unit’, where his tryst with Meagher began.

Walters later told the Daily Telegraph, which he would join months later as a staff reporter, that Iemma’s office was “a circus full of clowns” and that he was planning his departure from his first day in the job. The ill-will began after his planned appointment as Iemma’s communication director was nixed when incumbent Glen Byers announced he would be staying on.

With the F3 scandal already on the public’s radar, Walters acted to extract maximum damage against Labor in an election year.

There is also a factional dimension. Walters lost his job in September 2008 after the strategy unit was disbanded under Iemma’s successor Nathan Rees. At the time, Campbell was part of a group of ministers, including Meagher, that had moved against Iemma. While his girlfriend stayed on, the former premier’s treachery had left Walters without a gig.

After joining the Daily Telegraph in early 2009, Walters was accused of giving his lover preferential treatment, which just weeks before had pilloried Meagher with headlines including ‘GRIM REBA’.

David Koch picked up on this obvious conflict this morning, producing this amazing exchange on Seven’s Sunrise:

Koch: “Yeah, Adam, he [Campbell] has led a double life. Let me play devil’s advocate here: yes, he should apologise to his family, there’s no doubt about that. But is it a hanging offence? People make mistakes … to be polite you were involved in a similar situation when you worked at state parliament …”

Walters: “Very briefly.”

Koch: “… with a minister and things like that. Private things happened. So, should they have to resign? Yes they’ve got a lot of explaining to do to their family, but shouldn’t it be left at that?”

One Seven insider told Crikey this morning:

“Adam Walters is the last person who should be throwing stones. He has three children to three different women, and is unable to keep his own p-nis in his pants.”

Walters, who is paid $250,000 a year by Seven, has also been accused of attempting to protect his journalistic integrity by cloaking the headline-grabbing same-sex elements of the story in a sub-plot over Campbell’s use of a “ministerial vehicle”. But as premier Kristina Keneally remarked this morning, ministers routinely use their ministerial vehicles for private tasks, including picking up the kids from school.

Desmond
22-05-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't know much about him either.

To me a bathhouse is more abhorrent than a brothel, but others may well disagree. Even if we say they are about the same, I would think it's quite reasonable for a person to feel disgraced at being seen at one and seeking to withdraw from public life.

antichrist
22-05-2010, 05:13 PM
And apparently it is completely allowable for them to use such ministerial vehicle for private purposes. Just as company execs do the same.

And in this mornings SMH it is stated that many calls from Campbells mobile phone while that expressway pileway was happening and such calls being to imp officials - so maybe was not in Kenny's at all (or only for a limited time).

arosar
22-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I am sure visiting gay brothels is not part of his ministerial responsibilities and so he was using the car for improper purposes.

Except that MPs are entitled to use their parliamentary vehicles for personal purposes. As far as the use of his car was concerned, he breached no rule.

AR

Igor_Goldenberg
22-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I have no idea what his campaigning values had been, having not heard of him before this.

Now I remember clearly what the public interest is. He travelled to the venue in a government funded car. Which is paid for by the taxpaper ie the public. So the public has every right to know what their ministers are using their funds for. I am sure visiting gay brothels is not part of his ministerial responsibilities and so he was using the car for improper purposes.
AFAIK they have a free use of car for any personal use if it's not chauffeur driven.

To me a bathhouse is more abhorrent than a brothel
No argument here.

Even if we say they are about the same, I would think it's quite reasonable for a person to feel disgraced at being seen at one and seeking to withdraw from public life.
I agree that personal embarrassment would be sufficient to withdraw. I was curious whether there was anything else to the story.

And while there is nothing wrong with visiting strip club (at least in my books), the self-confessed wowser like Rudd should be embarrassed.

Garvinator
23-05-2010, 08:44 AM
And while there is nothing wrong with visiting strip club (at least in my books), the self-confessed wowser like Rudd should be embarrassed.I think those who thought that this was a reason to vote Rudd in as it seemed like he was just one of the blokes, should be ashamed :lol:

Rincewind
23-05-2010, 10:35 AM

I agree. However the embarrassment was apparently acute and the political damage chronic.

I disagree that a bath house is more abhorrent than a strip club. Provided no laws are being broken then people can do what they like in their own time and this incident would not change the way I voted either for or against DC. As it turns out, I don't live in his electorate and it seems he is unlikely to seek public office again.

Rincewind
23-05-2010, 10:38 AM
To me a bathhouse is more abhorrent than a brothel, but others may well disagree. Even if we say they are about the same, I would think it's quite reasonable for a person to feel disgraced at being seen at one and seeking to withdraw from public life.

I think this is a failing of society. The fact of the matter is enough people place importance on such irrelevancies to mean he would find it very difficult to gain the support of his party let alone the electorate. Government by popular has its faults but it is the best system we have.

antichrist
23-05-2010, 11:18 AM
What people do under consent is their own business except when it is risky behaviour that society may have to pick up the tabs for.

When my missus worked in casualty and had to give all the jabs in the backside she hated it. She said she used to spear them from a distance so not to touch them.

Similarily for the first AIDS suffers. It was the only time I agreed with Fred NIle that those returning home from homosexual festival (maybe in LA) they they should be quarantined, this was at time of AIDS first been found. My missus told me that under the law (Qld 40 years ago) that STD patients could be quarantined to protect the general public.

Then about 15 years later when seeing Q magazine in Newtown and the pages upon pages of death notices each week (or fortnight) representing the Gay PLague then my earlier agreement with Fred Nile was correct.

I can't remember if Bob Brown was around at time of Gay Plague (or rather 1980,1,2) but he was at time of Swine Flu - and as a doctor he was recommending that maybe tourists returning home from swine flue areas should be quarantined. He should have said the same at time of first AIDs victims. He may have I can't remember. Otherwise everything Bob Brown says I generally go along with.

Spiny Norman
24-05-2010, 06:03 PM
If he resigned because he decided that he wanted to resign (due to the publicity) that's fair enough; if he was forced to resign, that's wrong. Whilst I think his behaviour was disgraceful (i.e. cheating on his wife), the place/time to pass judgement on that is at the ballot box at the next election.

antichrist
24-05-2010, 06:17 PM
If he resigned because he decided that he wanted to resign (due to the publicity) that's fair enough; if he was forced to resign, that's wrong. Whilst I think his behaviour was disgraceful (i.e. cheating on his wife), the place/time to pass judgement on that is at the ballot box at the next election.

But I haven't read that his wife did not know about it?? Maybe she did not mind the big bear squashing someone else for a change. Accusers are being presumptious on this. We have not heard of her separating or going to divorce him. Some people can live with it and still love and accept. But I have not seen any TV on it so only guessing.