PDA

View Full Version : Vic Open thread and thread-starting

Publicist
11-05-2010, 03:56 AM
I deliberately started a new thread to get the CV vic open away from the blatant hyjack by Garvinator and now he has done it again. He constantly ambush markets his own stuff on CV threads and again down graded the CV tournament details to a minor spot. Are there no ethics on this board?

Watto
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I deliberately started a new thread to get the CV vic open away from the blatant hyjack by Garvinator and now he has done it again. He constantly ambush markets his own stuff on CV threads and again down graded the CV tournament details to a minor spot. Are there no ethics on this board?
Dear Publicist,

With all due respect, I think that you are still taking offence where no offence should be taken ie no 'thread hijacking' is intended or is in fact taking place. You object to 'ambush marketing' - the aggressive promotions of other events on CV threads. As you did on the other forum.

But invariably what you are objecting to is just the poster's signature (underneath the line), not the content of their post (which is why it took me a while at first to figure out what you were referrring to.) For instance, my permananent signature has the websites of my two clubs, Croydon and the MCC and is on every post I make. Garvin's signature, which has QLD events he is promoting, is on every post he is making, not just CV threads. None of us notice the signature (sorry Garvin! :)) unless we're actively interested in the events he is linking to. What we look at is the content of the post.

I'm just pointing this out as I think it's a waste of energy getting offended by things which really aren't offensive.

Anyway, best of luck with the tournament. It should be an excellent one!

All the best.

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Garvinator was not hijacking but simply asking a question as a prospective entrant. It's not his fault that you did not already have a thread up about the event and there is an established standard that discussions about an event are generally moved into a single thread starting with the earliest posts about it. There are exceptions but this does not need to be one of them. I have edited the tournament title so that it is clear where the tournament details can be found. Users do in fact have the ability to scroll down.

Concerning your beef about "ambush marketing", if by that you mean the links in his sigfile then I can only cordially invite you to get over it. Every poster has the right to advertise tournaments in their sigfile and to think that there is really that much competition between a Victorian and Queensland tournament in this respect is really all a bit silly.

If a poster made a post specifically trying to draw entrants away from a tournament that would be a different matter but in this case he was actually expressing a possible interest in playing.

I have merged the new threads you started into the previous one; from now on I will simply delete them.