PDA

View Full Version : Chess Mentor & Chess.com

Garrett
06-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with chess mentor at chess.com?

It looks like it might be worth a try.

Also does anyone have any feedback on other features at chess.com such as the videos ?

I'm probably gonna join up for a month for a look but thought I'd ask for opinions first.

Cheers and thanks.
Garrett.

Saragossa
08-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with chess mentor at chess.com?

It looks like it might be worth a try.

Also does anyone have any feedback on other features at chess.com such as the videos ?

I'm probably gonna join up for a month for a look but thought I'd ask for opinions first.

Cheers and thanks.
Garrett.

I'm a member and so is my brother - we lived in different houses at the time. I especially like the videos and chess mentor. My brother likes tactics trainer. We used the videos quite a bit in our prep for the Aus juniors with good results. Roman Dzindi... the guy who makes 'Roman's lab' is particularly helpful on openings.

For all-round chess training though I don't think there is really a substitute for chess mentor. Do note; however, the opening training on 'Chess mentor' requires you to have studied the opening first. Seems odd but I suppose it is a kind of reinforcement.

Also note, if it is simply the videos you are after then joining for a month then downloading them all is a good option. Antbar works for firefox.

Garrett
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks Saragossa

I joined up yesterday and have had a look around.

The chess mentor seems very good although it's early days yet. I've only done about 5 chess mentor problems. Some of them are quite difficult and it must be beneficial to do position problems as well as tactics.

One of the early problems I did was from the final game of the Lasker-Schlecter world championship match so it was very interesting from a historical point of view as well. If Schlecter had of found the winning continuation in that game he would have been world champion. Well Schlecter didn't win that game and neither would have I as I finally chose the move Schlecter played after looking at the best continuation for some time... ha haha.

I've watched a couple of video's and they seem good (probably no better than the one's on ICC). The first one I looked at was on "Botvinnik-Panov pawn structure" which I found educational as this sort of structure can also arise from other openings even if 1.e4 or the Caro-Kann is not on your agenda.

Looks like there is an openings explorer which would have been useful if I didn't have chessbase, although only needing a browser is an advantage. I think there are free internet versions of this anyway.

The tactics trainer looks good but I already use chesstempo. A possible advantage of tactics trainer is that it is against the clock and you can see the seconds count down. Adrenaline junkies can be in acute time pressure every day of the week now... ha ha

There is also a 'computer workout' section where you practice specific positions against the computer (i.e. philidor position, exchange up in middle game, pawn down in queen ending etc). This also seems to have promise but needs more investigation.

You get your own chess.com email address which is pretty cool.

Of course you can also play chess there :eek: .

Also a good thing is you only need a browser to use the features so you can use it at the library, at lunch time at work, internet cafe etc...

All up, I'd say it's worth spending the $12 US to join for a month to have a look (annual subscription is cheaper monthly rate).

cheers
Garrett.

FM_Bill
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Is ChessMentor the program by Silman?

I'm impressed. There is a lot of material in there.

Garrett
04-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Is ChessMentor the program by Silman?

I'm impressed. There is a lot of material in there.

Jeremy Silman has a couple of courses at ChessMentor.

I think it is based on his original program.

Silman's "Roots of Positional Understanding" is an excellent ChessMentor course of about 300 challenges.

However, other GM's have authored courses too, such as our new mate Dejan Bojkov.

cheers Garrett.

Garrett
10-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone

My account at chess.com has been closed by the admin there.

This post is to put the facts on the table as people here also are friends with me on that site.

Very early yesterday morning I played a bullet (1 minute) game against a user who I later found out to be an Albanian person (at least that is what their profile stated). I won that game in about 29 moves. We played again and I won in about 17 moves.

Then something bizarre happened, they kept asking for a rematch and kept quickly losing game after game. I was amused at this behaviour and wondered when they would stop. After a while I wasn't amused anymore and declined any more rematches.

Thinking about it a couple of hours later I thought that I better contact chess.com and let them know what happened. I sent them an enquiry through their support site to report the incident and I also asked them would it be possible to readjust my bullet rating back to where it was originally as those games were rated.

As a result of this incident, when I go online this morning I find my account has been closed. I have already communicated with one admin person and have asked to communicate with their manager.

I wanted to make this post as I also played a lot of turn-based correspondence chess there and I wanted to make sure that no-one was under the impression I might have had my account suspended for using an engine during those games.

Regards
Garrett.

BorgQueen
11-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks Garrett :(

As a super-admin of Team Australia, I am responsible for the team as a whole.

Considering the game is in progress and you have now made public an engine analysis, Team Australia will most likely have to forfeit the game because it would be considered getting outside help and could also be considered cheating by using an engine. Team Australia has a good reputation and I do not want to tarnish it's good name.

PLEASE, do NOT post any more engine analysis results from any games of ours in progress again. Referencing games and making comments is fine, but PLEASE don't go and engine the game and then post up the results.

Thank you.

Garrett
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Look mate

I'm not involved with that game.

Anyway, I have removed the post as it probably was a bit insensitive.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

BorgQueen
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Not involved with the game?

You are Garrett_Lester at chess.com. You are a member of Team Australia and you've been done for cheating. You are a member of the game in question. I can't kick you from TA because your account is closed, but your name clearly shows in the list of players for TA in that game.

If you expect anyone to believe that all those games vs ylli55, which all end in less than 7 moves with an identical mate pattern, are a result of someone deliberately losing against you and not you having multiple accounts or an accomplice designed at boosting your rating for your Garret_Lester account, then you are a fool. IMO, you are as guilty of cheating as the day is long.

I thank you for deleting the post in question, but the damage is done.

Garrett
11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Not involved with the game?

You are Garrett_Lester at chess.com. You are a member of Team Australia

Incorrect on both accounts. As of some indiscriminate and un-notified time late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning I was no longer a member of Team Australia nor involved with the game.

and you've been done for cheating. You are a member of the game in question. I can't kick you from TA because your account is closed, but your name clearly shows in the list of players for TA in that game.

If my name still appears in the list of players for TA in the game then that is chess.com's problem, not mine, I am no longer a member of either TA or chess.com having already had my paid membership sawn-off without recourse to reason or appeal.

If you expect anyone to believe that all those games vs ylli55, which all end in less than 7 moves with an identical mate pattern, are a result of someone deliberately losing against you and not you having multiple accounts or an accomplice designed at boosting your rating for your Garret_Lester account, then you are a fool. IMO, you are as guilty of cheating as the day is long.

Please believe me when I say I truly don't care what you think.

I've told Chess.com that they can check the IP location of ylli55. His/Her profile stated that they were from Albania, the IP info could well correlate. Furthermore, they can check the history of the player. I certainly did and they had been playing for a while on chess.com.

I won two bullet games in regular fashion against that player and then for some reason they decided to play stupid. Like I said, it was amusing for a while.

Furthermore, it was me who reported the incident to Chess.com a very short while later, and I also explicitly requested my rating to be adjusted back to where it was.

I can supply screenshots to prove via PM to any seriously interested party (except you of course).

Not my problem how yili55 decides to play, perhaps crazy or under the effect of the firewater.

Just like you are not my problem.

Garrett.

Desmond
14-03-2011, 03:52 PM
^ :hmm: so what happened next?

Garrett
14-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Boris

I heard back from chess.com, not sure if it was a manager or not. Apparently they accept that yili55 is not me. A quote from their email.

"Knowingly playing someone who is throwing away games makes you just as at fault as they are".

This is not supported by their rules for cheating and must be something new, perhaps something made up on the spot.

Their rules for cheating mention signing up multiple accounts and deliberately throwing games, obviously neither of which I did. Keep in mind that I also was the one who reported the incident to keep things transparent.

It might also surprise BorgQueen that chess.com do not necessarily think that I was operating the lili55 account, or having it operated by an accomplice, as enunciated in the public accusations by him.

Speaking of BorgQueen, I would like to know who that person is. They have had a couple of days to retract or apologise for calling me a fool and a cheat.

The only thing I remember about BorgQueen is that his name is Brad and he is from Adelaide. I looked at the list of participants in Ballarat but could not see any Brad's from Adelaide.

No doubt Brad from Adelaide would like the chance to call me a cheat and a fool in person. If anyone knows who BorgQueen is in real life then I would appreciate to know (email or PM okay).

Regards
Garrett.

Garrett
16-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for everyone who has contacted me in the last day or two. It is now clear who the "Brad in Adelaide's Modbury Chess Club" BorgQueen either is, or impersonating.

I have also been contacted via FaceBook by another chess.com member who a query with me discussing chess.com games here. I am replying here instead of on FaceBook as other people may have the same query.

I have no problem chatting about chess.com games here when I am not a chess.com member, much less a member of any team or involved in any chess.com game whatsoever.

This site is after all, named ChessChat, and we chat about chess. Furthermore, this thread has been started by me to discuss chess.com topics.

I was not a member of chess.com when I discussed the Turkey game, nor was I a member of any team involved with the Turkey game when I commented on that game.

I hope that is clear.

Any interested party can ask Chess.com for themselves exactly what date/time my membership was closed, if they are not too lazy to do so.

If I had of been a Chess.com member, or involved in the Turkey game then I would not have discussed it publicly nor had a look at it with Fritz.

Chess.com have rules for players involved in Chess.com games, but as someone who is not a member (of Chess.com), and posting at an independent site, I don't give a flying fig about Chess.com rules. I hope that is clear, even to Queens and Borgs.

I really don't think Chess.com themselves care about their published rules either.

Furthermore, the games are freely available on the internet.

Here is another chess.com game (Team Australia v American Group).
http://www.chess.com/votechess/game.html?id=18564

It doesn't take a genius to work out White is dominating this game and the box points out that White has mate in 5 starting with Bxc6.

Here is another game freely available on the net (Team Australia vs Team Indonesia - Team Vote Chess).
http://www.chess.com/votechess/game.html?id=18555

White is obviously in trouble here and must recapture Qxf5 when the box likes Bxd2 best, perhaps to lure the knight away from e4 and to commence the process of simplification.

If you don't like to read what I post here then go away. Simple really.

But before you do go away, we'd like some advice.

Chess.com have ratings for their Online (correspondence) chess games.

My Online (correspondence) rating at the time of my exit from Chess.com was about 2160 compared to an ACF rating of 1982.

Also, the three of my friends (names provided upon request) that I just checked all have differences of around 200-300 points between their Online Chess.com ratings and their ACF ratings.

Perhaps BorgQueen might like to give us some pointers on correspondence chess as his Online Chess.com is 2278 compared to an ACF rating
of just over 1600 (with a 'reliable' (!) indicator) which is almost a 700 point difference.

The time controls are usually 3 days per move yet BorgQueen averages 6 hours per move. I thought I was quick at 10 hours per move (the average time per move includes moves that arrive in the middle of the night, or the middle of a busy businessperson's day).

6 hours per move seems very fast for someone who claims to be very busy business person.

Can you share some of your Corro tips BorgQueen ? I am sure we are all interested.

I took correspondence chess seriously when I was there, have a good library, and use an up-to-date Chessbase database. But of course you have a
better library and database - right ?

Perhaps you have the BlunderCheck(TM) database. I have heard of the fabled BlunderCheck database used in Corro chess but never been able to get a copy.

Do you have the BlunderCheck database BorgQueen ?

Anyway - I am sure we all await your tips so that others can turn from a very average chess players in real life to be one of the better players in Team
Australia.

I bet it sure feels gooooood to be an admin and one of the top boards in Team Australia when your OTB chess skill is pretty ordinary, right ?

Trent Parker
16-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Garrett. I agree with you that you should not have been banned but..... I'm sorry but I do not believe that corro chess rating and acf ratings are comparable.
Shane Dibley, for one, is rated about 1500 acf but is a corro IM.
Phil Bourke had a 1500 acf rating but I believe a 2300 Chess.com rating.

I'm pretty sure that Phil got this chess.com rating though working on his game.

You can analyse more, move pieces around.

Desmond
16-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Here is another chess.com game (Team Australia v American Group). Sif you wouldn't call yourself Team America. Fail.

Anyway Garrett I wouldn't sweat it too much mate.

BorgQueen
17-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Do you deny that you WERE Garrett_Lester @ chess.com before they banned you?

Do you deny that you were in the TA game vs the Turks?

Do you deny that you won all those games in less than 7 moves, with the same identical mate pattern vs the same exact player?

If not then I stand by what I said.

Adamski
17-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Garrett I am very sorry to read about all this. Hope all ends well - your account hould be reinstated at the very least.I have a chess.com account but have used it only rarely.

Vlad
17-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Shane Dibley, for one, is rated about 1500 acf but is a corro IM.
Phil Bourke had a 1500 acf rating but I believe a 2300 Chess.com rating.

Trent, you are not a teenager, you do not need to be naive. ;)

MichaelBaron
18-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I have been playing at chess.com and several people have been accusing me of cheating using computer etc. I find it funny when somebody claims that ''you must be using computer as i am 2000 fide and you beat me 3 times in a row can not be right'' or ''how can your bullet rating be 2800'' Anyway, I guess its part of internet chess :(

Garrett
18-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Garrett. I agree with you that you should not have been banned

Thank you Trent.

Anyway Garrett I wouldn't sweat it too much mate.

Thank you Boris.

Garrett I am very sorry to read about all this. Hope all ends well - your account hould be reinstated at the very least.

Thank you Adamski but I doubt that will happen.

Sheroff
22-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi Garrett -

I have actually had (more than once) a similar thing happen to me while playing on ICC - I crush some over-rated guy 4 or 5 times, then they go all mental and just start intentionally losing games to me, one after the other. It defies logic, but that's the modern internet for you.

I, no doubt like you do, play chess for enjoyment, not for ratings glory, so also like you, I just got bored and stopped playing this guy. I want real games - ratings are irrelevant to me at this stage of my chess career. Number of dubious queen sacs per tournament...now there's a statistic I can get into...:whistle:

Cheers mate

Kevin Casey

Capablanca-Fan
22-03-2011, 04:36 PM
This ban is an absurdity. Thanks for letting us know; I for one won't waste time with that site.:evil:

Trent Parker
23-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Trent, you are not a teenager, you do not need t be naive. ;)

Naive? I'm not Naive. I happen to know that when Phil Bourke played on chess.com he would have his chessboard alongside, set up the position and analys the position on the board, moving the pieces around, spending hours on asingle move before making his move.

Cannot speak for Mr Dibley though.....

Igor_Goldenberg
24-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Do you deny that you won all those games in less than 7 moves, with the same identical mate pattern vs the same exact player?

BorgQueen,

How can you checkmate someone in seven moves even with the help of the most powerful computer and best chess program in the world?
Even a complete novice wouldn't walk in the same checkmate game after game.

Rincewind
24-03-2011, 09:35 AM
How can you checkmate someone in seven moves even with the help of the most powerful computer and best chess program in the world?

I think that is BorgQueen's point.

Igor_Goldenberg
29-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I think that is BorgQueen's point.
And you point is?

Rincewind
29-03-2011, 03:30 PM
And you point is?

The allegation is not that Garrett was using a computer to beat the hapless Albanian. It is either that Garett was also logged in as the Albanian or else Garrett had some arrangement with the Albanian user to lose games against him. Either way it is clear that the Albanian user was trying to lose so Garrett didn't need to use a computer.

The position of BQ and chess.com seems to be from the evidence available here that the potential for rating increase provided motivation and this alone is sufficient evidence of cheating. However Garrett provides a strong case that this wasn't a motivation as he notified the admins proactively and requested for the result to be struck from his rating history. In the absence of extenuating circumstances I think Garrett has been harshly dealt with.

In the light of that discussion, how is following question or the statement that follows it relevant?

Igor_Goldenberg
29-03-2011, 08:27 PM
^^^^^^^
I suggest you limit your usual uncivil behaviour to non-chess forums.

Rincewind
29-03-2011, 09:04 PM
^^^^^^^
I suggest you limit your usual uncivil behaviour to non-chess forums.

Don't ask the question if you're not going to like the answer.

ChoiSeulKi
31-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Chess.com is great! Thats the site that got me into the whole chess scene :)
I say go for it! Its a very good site, and not even complex enough for a noob like myself :3