PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Olympiad Appeal

Ian Murray
12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
The 2010 Olympiad Appeal web site is now open for business - www.acfappeal.aunz.org (http://www.acfappeal.aunz.org)

Still needs a little fine tuning, but it's fully functional

All our Olympians need now is your generosity - this year's venue is the most remote to date, and so the most expensive to get to.

Garrett
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
From the website

All donors of $50 or more to the last Olympiad Appeal received email bulletins from the players direct from Dresden. A similar thank-you gesture is anticipated from the players in Khanty-Mansiysk.

I think the bulletins stopped last Olympiad after about round 8 which was disappointing so might be best not to promise anything we can't deliver.

Garrett.

Ian Murray
12-04-2010, 03:09 PM
From the website

All donors of $50 or more to the last Olympiad Appeal received email bulletins from the players direct from Dresden. A similar thank-you gesture is anticipated from the players in Khanty-Mansiysk.

I think the bulletins stopped last Olympiad after about round 8 which was disappointing so might be best not to promise anything we can't deliver
I suspect the absence of Ian Rogers from Dresden may have been the critical factor. I can appreciate how hard it must be to play a round then prepare for the next and in-between fit in an analysed game for the bulletins, but hopefully the players will look after their benefactors back home

Vlad
12-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I can appreciate how hard it must be to play a round then prepare for the next and in-between fit in an analysed game for the bulletins, but hopefully the players will look after their benefactors back home

Ian, only 8 players play each round, which means 2 are having a rest, plus there are 2 captains, and only one person need to write a bulletin.

There are 2 economic problems here which lead to the observed outcome. The first one is a hold-up problem. The money is paid before the tournament and writing a bulletin would not increase the amount of money players get so why bother. The second one is a free-riding. If there are 12 people involved, it is not necessarily easy to construct a system where everybody contributes.

Ian Murray
12-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Ian, only 8 players play each round, which means 2 are having a rest, plus there are 2 captains, and only one person need to write a bulletin.

There are 2 economic problems here which lead to the observed outcome. The first one is a hold-up problem. The money is paid before the tournament and writing a bulletin would not increase the amount of money players get so why bother. The second one is a free-riding. If there are 12 people involved, it is not necessarily easy to construct a system where everybody contributes.
If there was a groundswell of resentment from donors feeling they were shortchanged (and so far that is not evident) then perhaps the complaint should have been aired at the time.

The bulletins are outside my area of responsibility - while none of my business, maybe the team captains should play a more forceful role in requiring analyses from each player.

Vlad
13-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Ian, you somehow decided that I am complaining or attacking you. :lol:

No, it is not the case. I just tried to give a scientific explanation to what happened and indicated that the problem is hard to avoid and the problem has nothing to do with the fact that players are tired or have no time.

I am personally happy either way - with bulletins or without bulletins. Good luck to you with the very important mission! :clap:

Ian Murray
13-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Ian, you somehow decided that I am complaining or attacking you. :lol:
Not at all, Vlad. I'm addressing (hopefully constructively) a potential problem in general terms, at the risk of sounding like an apologist for the bulletin shortfall last time. Nothing personal taken or intended.

arosar
14-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Good luck with the appeal.

AR

Garrett
15-04-2010, 06:22 AM
If there was a groundswell of resentment from donors feeling they were shortchanged (and so far that is not evident) then perhaps the complaint should have been aired at the time.

The bulletin issue was aired at the time in the 2008 appeal thread from (approximately) posts 285 to 301.

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=5783&page=21&highlight=olympiad+appeal

In post #291 you stated you thought it was a "bit below par" which was a reasonable assessment.

Gunner's post #301 seems to indicate that it is an ongoing issue.

The bulletins were not the primary reason I donated last time (and helped organise a simul and donated the prizes) but once we were told we would be getting them I think it would have been a good idea (and just plain professional) to send them.

The promise of bulletins may well have convinced others to donate, or increase their donation.

Garrett.

Garvinator
15-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Chess Association of Queensland- $500

ER
15-04-2010, 09:29 PM
The bulletins were not the primary reason I donated last time (and helped organise a simul and donated the prizes) but once we were told we would be getting them I think it would have been a good idea (and just plain professional) to send them.

The promise of bulletins may well have convinced others to donate, or increase their donation.

Garrett.

:clap:

:clap:

Bill Gletsos
31-07-2010, 12:47 AM
At its meeting last Monday the ACF decided to contribute $3,000 to the Olympiad Appeal.

ER
31-07-2010, 08:42 AM
At its meeting last Monday the ACF decided to contribute $3,000 to the Olympiad Appeal.
Excellent! After the also commendable QLD gesture

One could now expect similar contributions from other States as well. I am sure NSWCA, CV and other State Bodies will follow suit.

Ian Murray
20-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Please note that I set sail for Africa on 31 August - donations to the Olympiad Appeal after 30 August cannot be acknowledged on the appeal website www.acfappeal.aunz.org but will reach our Olympians

Ian Murray
Olympiad Appeal Coordinator

Ian Murray
28-08-2010, 10:10 AM
The Appeal needs another $300 to reach 50% of the costs for our teams - I'd really like to see that target reached while I can still update the web site (i.e. by Monday)

Ian Murray
29-08-2010, 12:01 AM
$500 from Chess Victoria today tips the appeal over the 50% mark - on behalf of the teams. many thanks to all donors

Kevin Bonham
26-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Team Reports

I have received reports with photos from Rds 1-3 from Manuel Weeks on behalf of the Open team and we (Gary Wastell and I) are attempting to send these out to as many donors as we can find email addresses for. Rds 1-2 were emailed tonight as a test run, Rd 3 at least will be emailed tomorrow, more coming I hope!

Unfortunately our list of email addresses is bound to be incomplete as:

* We don't have a list of email addresses from the Olympiad Appeal website
* Some of the addresses that we have to be able to obtain from other sources will be out of date
* There are some donors for whom we haven't yet obtained email addresses
* There will be some donors who donated after the end of August whose names did not appear in the donors list before Ian departed for Africa.

Nonetheless we are doing our best to get out whatever reports we receive from our teams to as many donors as we can!

We are seeking email addresses for the following - if you are one of these people, or know an email address for one of them, please let me know, via PM on this site or via email to k_bonham@tassie.net.au

Tim HARE (WA)

(This list will be edited as names are found or emails bounce.)

Also please contact me if:

* you were listed as a donor of $50 or more in the ACF newsletter and did not get an email from me tonight (by, say, midnight) to any of your email addresses (NB: some of the addresses we have are old, so please check any of your old addresses that are working and easily checkable)

* you donated $50 or more and were not listed as a donor in the ACF newsletter.

Thanks, Kevin Bonham
ACF Vice-President + Selections Director

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Number of missing email addresses is rapidly reducing as noted above! Thanks to all who have helped us with this.

I will post here when new reports have been mailed out.

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Manuel's report from round 3 has been sent.

I intend sending round 4 within the next 2-3 hours.

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Report 4, this time from both teams, has been sent. I will send more reports as I receive them.

Kevin Bonham
28-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Round 5 has been sent out.

Kevin Bonham
01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Reports 6 and 7 have just been sent.

Garrett
17-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Did any reports after round 7 get sent out this time ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Nothing was received beyond round 7. If anything is sent through to me, however late, it will be distributed, although if this happens this week it will be distributed next week.