PDA

View Full Version : Illegal move

Igor_Goldenberg
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Recently in SIO Darryl Johansen lost partially because of illegal move.
Question to the arbiters/experts/rules savvy:
- If illegal move spotted few moves later (but before the game finish), what is the right course of action? I vaguely remember that the game restarts from the last legal position, but can't trust myself completely.
Bonus question:
- How is the clock adjusted (especially in the light of increment).

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
- If illegal move spotted few moves later (but before the game finish), what is the right course of action? I vaguely remember that the game restarts from the last legal position, but can't trust myself completely.

Correct.

Bonus question:
- How is the clock adjusted (especially in the light of increment).

The rules just say it is adjusted according to the arbiter's best judgement. So this means just trying to get as close as possible to what was likely to have been the times on the clock (and correct move numbers) when the incident occurred, in a way that is fair to both players and considers whatever evidence is available. But a little time could also be added to the clocks to account for the disturbance of the game and the time it will take players to regain composure.

Of course the arbiter should not forget to factor in a two-minute bonus for the opponent on account of the illegal move.

that Caesar guy
08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Hmmm...deja vu...SIO 2009...Anton-Broekhuyse...ringing any bells people? :P:P:P

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, in that one there was no possibility of the illegal move being corrected because one player immediately resigned.

that Caesar guy
08-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes that is true, but I just put it out there just in case you all have forgotten ;)
It is just very similar...knight moving diagonally, round 1, white knight being mischevious...lol

Phil Bourke
08-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes that is true, but I just put it out there just in case you all have forgotten ;)
It is just very similar...knight moving diagonally, round 1, white knight being mischevious...lol
It is now known as the Knight's International Move :)

Jesper Norgaard
11-04-2010, 04:48 AM
It is now known as the Knight's International Move :)
I would vote for the Kangaroo Move :) ... clearly a mighty hopper